Belichick: Trump letter was about friendship, not politics

Getty Images

Yes, Patriots coach Bill Belichick admits he wrote a letter to Donald Trump that made its way into Trump’s closing argument for the job he will occupy as of January. No, Belichick claims he did not intend his gesture to be political in nature.

Addressing reporters on Wednesday, Belichick explained why he sent the Trump letter.

“I’ve received a number of inquiries relative to a note that I wrote to Donald on Monday,” Belichick told reporters, via a video posted by Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. “Our friendship goes back many years, and I think anybody who has spent more than five minutes with me knows I’m not a political person, my comments are not politically motivated [but by] friendship and loyalty to Donald.  A couple of weeks ago we had Secretary of State [John] Kerry in our locker room, he’s another friend of mine. I can’t imagine people with more different political views than those two. But to mean friendship and loyalty is just about that, it’s not about political or religious views. I write hundreds of notes and letters ever month. It doesn’t mean I agree with every single thing that every person thinks about politics or religion or other subjects. I form friendships that are important to me. That’s what that was about.”

When asked follow-up questions on the topic (including one about the potential for distractions or “locker-room rancor”), Belichick repeatedly said, “Seattle.”

There indeed are plenty of questions about Belichick’s letter — beyond those that relate to his team. He claims that his comments weren’t politically motivated, but he had to know that his comments would be used politically. Indeed, Trump explained to the crowd on Monday night that Belichick, after he was asked for permission to share the letter publicly, wrote a second letter that actually spoke in even stronger and more glowing terms than the first one.

So either Belichick is being less than truthful about his motivations, or his football-only focus has left him completely oblivious to the manner in which his words were used for political gain.

Regardless, Seattle.

118 responses to “Belichick: Trump letter was about friendship, not politics

1. Shocker. Too liars as friends. Idk if Trump cheats but it would be icing on the cake. Should mention Brady’s husband (as in Gisele is the husband in the marriage) put him on the spot even though he voted for this clown.

2. This works out well as he will have direct connection to the White House for celebrating the Patriots next Super Bowl Championship !!!!!! Belichick is forever the master planner………

3. I’ve never never defended BB before, on any subject. But any criticism of him for this is absurd and hypocritical, given the media’s support for players kneeling during the anthem, etc.

4. LMAO: Come the SUPERBOWL The PRESIDENT Donald J. Trump will present the Lombardi trophy to BB and Brady since Goodel will be in hiding just like that loser Hillary…wont even come to the stage and concede….what a loser

5. I think he’s telling the truth. BB is also friends with John Bon Jovi, who is a Clinton backer. BB has a Star Wars Bar of friends rolodex.

6. Another reason to hate Belichick – not surprising, since cheaters and liars are drawn to each other.

7. Belichick’s letter to Trump was slightly mushier (but not by much) than the love letter I wrote to my teacher when I was in the 2nd grade.

8. We are on to Seattle. Just going to leave a couple of observations from 2 well known experts here

72DolphinsStillUnmatched says:
    Nov 8, 2016 6:13 AM
    Another scam from the Orange man..lol
    BB didn’t write or say that.

metitometin says:
    Nov 8, 2016 8:54 AM
    Trump is lying through his teeth as usual, with everything that comes out of his mouth. Someone who lies this much must be a complete psychopath. Belichick is a known supporter of liberal causes and would never write a letter in support of a crazy person clearly having some mental issues.

9. Stand tall BB.

Don’t give into the bullying of the Social Justice Warriors and the fascistic politically-correct crowd.

Keep your Gorilla Mindset and keep winning like TRUMP!

God Bless America … and He just did.

10. For those of us who are not blinded by hatred, Trump’s campaign was very offensive to many people; many in the predominantly 6 blue NE states; i.e., Belichek’s customers. The timing of his friendship note to Trump should most certainly be questioned, especially he OKed that Trump read it at the NH rally. In light of the fact he always preaches not distractions to his players, this comes off as pure hypocrisy, which is why he on the defensive, and rightly so.

11. guadalahonky says:
    Nov 9, 2016 10:08 AM
    Wow, Mr. Belichick. Do you have some awful friends….

Like all of us who have friends, he has an eclectic group of friends. Many of his friends just happen to be very well known in Politics, Music and Sports.

12. For BB to come out and address the note is huge. He did not wait for their questions but instead was pro-active on the subject.

His comments were spot on and made perfect sense to all but the delusional haters out there.

To those who will try to think otherwise take a moment and try to imagine the friends that individuals such as BB, Brady, Aaron Rogers, Jerry Jones, etc… have. Then think of your own circle of friends. I have many friends that have differing viewpoints than me, whether it be political, sports, health or any number of subjects, a true friend would not judge another in that fashion so I see nothing but admiration for his willingness to pen such a note at that point in time.

13. “But to me friendship and loyalty is just about that, it’s not about political or religious views. I write hundreds of notes and letters ever month. It doesn’t mean I agree with every single thing that every person thinks about politics or religion or other subjects. I form friendships that are important to me. That’s what that was about.”

If you can’t understand where Belichick is coming from with that then you aren’t a friend worth having.

14. Whose heads will explode more: Patriot fans who hate Trump or Patriot haters who love Trump?

15. Loyalty. Trump has been loyal to Brady during the Deflategate saga. Would you throw away your friend or family because of politics? Besides, Trump knows how to freaking win. His opponents, a bunch of them, are still reeling from the stomping. Unbelievable.
    By the way, PC is going to be out of style soon.

16. Looks like national media should have asked Ernie Adams who was going to win! Our coach was two steps ahead as usual.

Trump is an ignoramus. Bill Belichick is the greatest coach in history.

I’d vote for Bill Belichick for political office in a heart beat and I damn sure want him coaching my football team.

What he thinks of Trump is his own business.

17. “Bill Belichick – The new secretary of defense?”

HaHa – how about Presidential Spokesman?

18. Curious why this site didn’t report on John Kerry visiting the locker room and what the implications of that are? The media needs to start reporting the news and not just the news that is “sensational.” There are plenty of other websites that discuss politics, people come to this one for Football.

19. You know I’m generally very liberal in my views, but you trying to skewer Belichcik over this letter is ridiculous.

Hillary lost, that’s how it goes. I was so disgusted by both candidates I didn’t vote for either.

The fact is both parties are utterly and totally corrupt. Both candidates were unlikely to do anything but make the country worse off that it already is.

Neither party cares squat about the country, its best interests or the people. They only care about lining their pockets and those of their corporate owners. Trump, Hillary, not much difference. Both utterly and totally corrupt.

20. Told ya. I nailed it again. You could tell that letter was a fake.

Trump is a polarizing figure, but maybe the only contact either BB or Brady ever had was at galas or when Trump was a guest of Kraft.

Trump is a loser, but his business dealings do cross over into many different industries.

Business is business, but I knew Brady and BB were never voting for that loser.

21. I understand why folks earning big money would support Trump.
    A person earning 10 million/year will pay $865,000 less in taxes under Trumps’ new plan.

It’s the saps making less than 50k that will foot the bill in Trumpland.

22. guadalahonky says:
    Nov 9, 2016 10:08 AM
    Wow, Mr. Belichick. Do you have some awful friends….

====================

23. I’m a Pats fan and I think Belichick exercised laughably poor judgment on this one. Even if he sent President Elect Trump a note telling him what he had for lunch he should have expected that it would become political ammo for any campaign stop in NE. Conservative writer/pundit P.J. O’Rourke said it best: “it’s like giving teenage boys whiskey and car keys and hoping for a good outcome.”

24. Today is a NEW start for America to rid corruption (Clinton/Obama) out of the White House and hopefully this transcends to the NFL = Goodel/DeflateGate/Parity

25. patriottony says:

======================================

He’ll console them in the locker room after he presents Jerry Jones his 4th Lombardi.

26. I really want to know if that locker room is at all fractured. Bill exercised poor judgement by endorsing a well documented bigot in the middle of the season.

27. FoozieGrooler says:
    Nov 9, 2016 11:49 AM

Wanna know what this country will look like in four years?
    Ever see The Hunger Games?
    ++++++++++++++

Are you living in Reality???

America just voted, out of office, the PC Police and the Arrogant Elitists.
    Libtard News Media heads were popping all night long and still are – WAKE UP

28. Good afternoon liberals! Sleep well last night? 🙂

#IToldYouSo
    #WeMadeAmericaGreatAgain

29. FOR someone who hates distractions, he sure has created a pretty big one for a team that has super bowl aspirations and was crushing right along.
    I have no problem if he supports Trump, but by writing that letter for trump to read at a rally, he has endorsed his candidacy, and now became a public backer, which is much different than voting for him.
    I have always been a huge fan of Bill, and as a lifelong pats fan it pains me to say this, but I think of bill completely different now, and am sorely dissapointed he’s my coach.

30. tylawspick6 says:
    Nov 9, 2016 11:17 AM
    Told ya. I nailed it again. You could tell that letter was a fake.

_________________

What??? Purely for entertainment purposes please translate what these words mean in your universe:

“I’ve received a number of inquiries relative to a note that I wrote to Donald on Monday. Our friendship goes back many years…”

31. Ok so I admit I was wrong about this one. I really didn’t expect that Belichick would have written the letter for public display simply because of the potential for disharmony in the locker room.
    I’m not disappointed by it, just surprised.

32. Imagine Brady and Belichick heading to WH to hoist new Lombardi trophy with President Trump. We might have to actually recruit more trolls to replace those lost in the ensuing comment storm.

33. “joexfed says:
    Nov 9, 2016 10:30 AM
    Another reason to hate Belichick – not surprising, since cheaters and LIARS are drawn to each other.”

joexfed, you must have read the story wrong, the letter was written to Mr. Trump, not Mrs. Clinton.

34. “Let the dismantling of the US Constitution begin.”

You’re way way late to that game. It started about 40 years ago when corporations got reclassified as “people” and influence peddling became legal in this country.

35. You fools, you fools, you fools.

We have elected Bozo the Clown as our President.

Idiocracy is a funny movie, brainless in its humor.

I never thought we’d be living it.

Carry on, America.

I’m going for a surf.

Go Raiders

36. Is what it is.
    The country has decided.
    We tried thoughtful and smart and alot of people thought it didnt work out so well.
    So as a country, we decided to give uninformed and reckless a shot.
    Lets keep an open mind and see how it goes.
    Maybe he’ll be a real independent.

I would have preferred however that if Trump wanted to have a position of leadership that he start with something perhaps a little more manageable – say NFL Commissioner. I could have supported that.

37. Yeah, I would never be caught dead associating myself with John Kerry! Can you imagine?!?
    ——–
    So you prefer a draft dodger to a war hero? Funny how that R in front of the name makes all the difference.

38. Poor Hillary. Never had a job outside of the public sector but has 8 properties worth over 45 million dollars. Poor Hillary. Humble public servant.

39. Shocker. Too liars as friends. Idk if Trump cheats but it would be icing on the cake. Should mention Brady’s husband (as in Gisele is the husband in the marriage) put him on the spot even though he voted for this clown.
    __________________________________________

Normally, when you have to explain a joke to people, its not that funny. Plus, its “two” not “too”.

Cesspool city at it again

40. Trump and Belichick….both WINNERS. Trump ran his campaign on a shoestring, minimal fundraising, totally disdained by his own party big wigs.

The guy wins HUGE states like PA, WI and MI (states Republicans never carry, by the way) by the narrowest of margins. WINNER. Clutch. Didn’t choke.

He’s going to lose the overall popular vote and still WIN. He’s a winner, like it or not.

Belichick…how many rings now? 6?

41. If Bill is indeed a true friend then the note would have read something like, “I think you need to work on your treatment of women.” He couldn’t be so naive as to think Trump wasn’t going to run with it. I have had friends that have done so pretty f up’d stuff and I had to call them on it; that’s what a friend does. BB has now validated the behavior of Trump.

42. I have 18 years of government service, 10 of which were active duty and reserves; should I sell my house and give all my savings to charity?

43. Sounds like a load. The reality of the situation is that a letter like that *is* going to be used politically. So if he’s such a genius, he knew very well that’s what would happen and it’s disingenuous of him to act like he didn’t.

44. Query, will BB use his BFF for CIA favors to bug opponents locker rooms, steal their signals, and tecnogically sabotage all remaining 31 teams? Hmmmmm.

45. Hope Bill has just hired extra security around his house and his family as there is a terrible group of people who feel you can only have one opinion in our country….or else. Very sad.

46. I love the irony and hypocrisy of self-entitled and self-righteous people being outraged upon hearing that someone supports a self-entitled and self-righteous candidate.

Had Bill supported Clinton, would there be as much havoc and backlash in the media?

I think this was the downfall of Clinton’s bid. They attacked viciously and ridiculed the public Trump supporters forcing them into silence and never actually tried to understand why exactly people were supporting Trump.

47. Tell us just who has questions about Bill’s letter.

Here I’ll answer it for you. It’s the media- that’s who.

The typical fan of the NFL couldn’t care less about this.

If the last few months have shown nothing else, it certainly has shown that the media in this country is corrupt and incredibly biased.

48. I have great respect for both Bill B and Tom B for taking a stance that will probably bring them lots of grief in the New England area.

….and this is from a JET fan!

49. apparently alot of people supported TRUMP haha.. time to get over it and be proud to be an american or go to canada! Funny thing is you never heard anyone say “I will move to Mexico!” HAHAHA

#DRAINTHESWAMP

50. Nothing like a bunch of people with double-digit IQs yelling Nah Nah Nah at other people to bring the country together…GG!

I would say Grow Up but your new president never did so why should you, right? Just follow his lead!

As for the article Trump would never be friends with someone who wasn’t famous. So that is why he likes you bill, not because he likes you as a person.

I actually think bill is above this…and I am a Seattle fan. TRUMP dragged him down a bit and made him explain to reporters…bill hates that more than losing maybe.

51. Come on, Belichick that’s what the other Bill Said to Loretta Lynch on the tarmac at the airport, they talked about the wedding, miniature golf, knitting, the white house tomato garden, etc.

52. The media badgered both BB and Brady about Trump. The yeller was back also. What a class act that clown is. So, smug.

53. NYC/Goodel/DeflateGate was a political assault against Trump by attempting to vilify Brady, BB and the Patriots Organization.

Hillary was booted first and Goodel is next.

For now, the US Constitution is protected and remains in the hands of US Citizens.

Liberal Progessives want the US Constitution to be locked up in a museum and they label all Amercians who disagree with them as “Diplorables & Unredeemable”

The 1st and 2nd Amendments are the LIFE of Our Nation – Stand and Protect it at all costs for without such FREEDOMS we die.

54. Belicheck is obviously a winner who respects other winners and wants to put America first. Not everyone agrees with that apparently. We should be looking into why those people think like that and stop looking into a simple letter written by a football coach to our President.

55. “I really didn’t expect that Belichick would have written the letter for public display”

I think it’s fair to say that Trump, um, paraphrased the letter when he recounted it to the crowd.

56. So Clinton supporters are mad that they believe Trump is suppressing certain groups, but in turn they want to suppress Trump supporters? Hip—–Hip—–Hypocrites

Let Belicheck support who he wants. Lord knows we hear about the liberal supporters all too much.

57. Poor Bill. This is Massachusetts, you can’t be an independent thinker or anything but a democrat over there. The are true drones, no mind of your own.

58. I want to thank ESPN for helping get Trump elected. By converting from a sports channel to a political channel taking about social justice warrior issues all the time they sunk their own ship. Thank you ESPN. What a great day today.

59. Only in highly liberal sports media could such a thing be controversial. I’ve pretty much given up consuming any sports related stuff other than actual Patriot games. And I miss none of it.

60. How in the hell is this a story? The man can’t have President Elect Trump as a friend which incidentally has been for a long time. Funny how race hustlers Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were before he started his campaign. SMH.

61. Why do they still cover these press conferences with TV and print for this guy? Doesn’t answer questions. Is a dick to the reporters. I understand it is tedious doing these things. I know reporters are tools but together it isn’t worth watching. And Popovich is the same and I see a trend. Coaches being dicks to reporters. Giving nothing. I also understand why Belichick did it. He doesn’t want to be discussing a large number of players in the locker room that have a problem with Trump’s politics. It happened in Buffalo. There is other ways to do it though.