Tom Brady sidesteps Donald Trump questions

Getty Images

A day after Donald Trump claimed that he had received support via the ballot box from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Brady’s wife (Gisele Bundchen) emphatically said that the Brady-Bundchen’s have done no such thing.

On Wednesday, Brady received an opportunity to address the situation himself, via his weekly Wednesday press conference.

“Why did you give Donald Trump permission to talk about your political preferences at his rally in New Hampshire Monday night?” Brady was asked, via the transcript distributed by the team.

“Why did I give him permission?” Brady said. “So you’re assuming I gave people permission?”

“Did you not give Donald Trump permission to talk about your political preferences?”

“I’m just going to talk about football this week.”

Asked later the direct question of whether Brady supported Trump, Brady moved more deftly than he does in the pocket.

“Yeah, I talked to my wife,” Brady said. “She said I can’t talk about politics anymore, so I think that’s a good decision made for our family.”

Pressed even more on the question of whether he authorized any private preferences to be made public, Brady eventually said this: “I mean I have a lot of relationships with a lot of people and I don’t think a lot of people are entitled to what my conversations are with friends of mine or people that I may speak with.”

That can be interpreted as Brady not being thrilled with his private views being shared publicly. More importantly, he’s not thrilled with any political questions at his press conferences. Now that the campaign is over, that likely will be the end of any and all Trump-related interrogations.

54 responses to “Tom Brady sidesteps Donald Trump questions

1. Gisele makes 10X more money than Tom. If she was my wife I’d be doing the exact same thing. I go by what the boss woman says.

2. America first. Than the rest of these countries next. It’s just a simple flip flop of the last eight years. Maybe a guy will be able to afford some decent health care now.

3. What is it with football star’s girlfriends/wives/mothers lately? Aren’t the players capable of speaking for themselves?

4. So I thought people didn’t want politics with their football ?

You guys trying to beat up on Brady and Belichick are pathetic.

5. Does it really matter? Reporters press because it’s Brady. He’s entitled to his choices and opinions, and he’s chosen not to openly discuss it even though everyone knows what his preferences are. Why does he need to elaborate on it? Talking politics only fuels hatred from differing opinions, but I guess that’s apparently the point of pressing the issue right?

Go ask Lebron who he backs. Or Jay-Z. They like to declare their support.

6. “I talked to my wife and she said I can’t talk about politics anymore, I think that’s a good decision for our family.”

“I’m just going to talk about football this week.”

The man has his priorities straight. Many a marital pitfall can be avoided by simply agreeing to silently disagree.

Love it. And now for the trollathon…

7. scrp2 says:
    Nov 9, 2016 12:54 PM
    ======================================
    Tom Brady is a pretty smart guy, but Giselle is more media and public relations savvy. She is probably one of the best people in the world to advise him since she lives her life in the public eye and he knows that she is the one person he should trust among everyone out there. It’s Tom Brady’s job to have the respect of his teammates as the on the field leader for the entire team and his best course of action is laying low here.

8. Trump won, so obviously many people supported him. Why does the NFL media care if Brady voted for his friend or not. It is not anyone else’s business but Brady’s.

9. shiftyshellshocked says:
    Nov 9, 2016 12:57 PM

———
    Hook….Line….sinker…you’ve got my attention.

Enlighten us all to your affordable healthcare options pre-2008. I’ll wait. This is easy stuff right?

10. Your headline today was: “Time to move on”, yet here you are with two more Trump posts. You are the reason why so many people voted for Trump. Everyone is sick of the biased media, the PC crap, the “oh, I’m offended by everything” garbage, the lies, the deceit, the cons. This squarely falls on YOU. You can call Trump every name in the book, but what you need to call him now is YOUR next president. Deal with it.

11. quickbooks12 says:
    Nov 9, 2016 1:00 PM

Go ask Lebron who he backs. Or Jay-Z. They like to declare their support
    ————–
    Here’s why they pick on Brady, because he’s white. It’s plain and simple. All other races (including these democrats) cannot and will not take blame for their own injustice, so who do they blame? Whites of course. You could ask Lebron and Jay-Z and they’d tell you they voted for Hilary, but that’s okay because they’re so oppressed. Give me a break. Trump is OUR next president. Get over it.

12. Why does this continue to be news? Trump won. In fact, over 50 million people voted for him. My guess, there were some other NFL players that backed Trump. I still do not understand what that has to do with anything.

13. jimjets says:
    Nov 9, 2016 1:09 PM
    As much as I dislike this dude, I always thought he was a smart guy.

Trump? Really?
    ———————
    He is smart. That’s why he voted for Trump. The people have spoken. Get used to YOUR new president; Mr. Donald Trump!

14. PFT’s Most Moderated says:
    Nov 9, 2016 12:58 PM

On this site TOM BRADY wife gets a pass for running her mouth, but some how the “OTHERS” you know what I mean by that, are bash for speaking there mind!!!

15. PFT’s Most Moderated says:
    Nov 9, 2016 12:58 PM

————

It’s the opposite. The players don’t want to say anything because it can’t help them. The girlfriends/wives/mothers all can’t take the silence and want to support their boyfriend/husband/child. They don’t have media training.

16. PFT’s Most Moderated says:
    Nov 9, 2016 12:58 PM
    +++++++++++++

Spoken like a single guy.

17. jimjets says:
    Nov 9, 2016 1:09 PM
    As much as I dislike this dude, I always thought he was a smart guy.

Trump? Really?
    ———————

He is.

Giselle Bundchen. Really

18. Why should he talk about politics at a football press conference. Hillary Clinton wouldn’t even have press conferences to talk about politics, and she’s a politician! Anyway, the election is over. Let’s move on.

19. I would rather here from a man with conviction. I guess this is just another case of deflated balls

20. A person’s vote is private and personal. Just because Brady is in the public eye doesn’t make it right to ask him. It is even worse if the reporters know he doesnt want to answer and keep drilling.

21. Brady’s patriotism and obviously good political instincts are the real reason he and the Patriots team have been repeatedly targeted by league office NYC elites that want to move the games to China. The thought of a US President in their corner must have Goodell dry heaving into a bucket.

22. Brady just said in the nicest way possible, “Eff You”. What I think about, talk about with friends and family, and value in my personal life is private and you are not welcome in my private life. “Eff off , do you have any football questions?”.

23. I’m shocked all athletes and celebs arent voting for Trump. He is out to make the 1 percenters more rich and screw the middle class. Jack up our tax’s and give huge tax breaks to the wealthy and just ‘hope’ it ‘trickles down’ back to us. Last time this was implemented was in the 80’s with Reagan, and the wealthy saw an average of 80% increase in personal wealth. That does not help the middle class. So anyone who voted for him cant complain when we (the middle class) pay a ton more in taxes and ppl like trump can weasel their way out of $900 million in taxes they should have paid. Trump has spent 70 yrs only caring about increasing his personal net worth, and now he is in a position to triple it.

24. bullcharger says:
    Nov 9, 2016 1:08 PM

And who actually cares… it IS his business..I just care that beats the snot out of every team he faces this year and ..I’ll support him for that!

25. Once Trump didn’t get crushed in the balloting as the myopic media had predicted, this whole Brady and Belichick deal with Trump became a non-story. Since when does an American have to explain himself for supporting the next president of the United States?

26. I’m surprised it wasn’t, “I’m just hear to talk about Seattle.”

Now I want a Tom Brady and Marshawn Lynch joint press conference.

27. Well the Donald is a great salesman congrats on the election. As for your many supporters the GOP now controls congress the white house and soon the supreme court, in 2 short years you will not be able to find anyone who will admit they voted for the man, Tom’s just ahead of the curve.

28. Trump say Brady supports him…Brady doesn’t disagree, Brady’s wife says no….

Gee, a cheater AND a liar…who would’ve have guessed?

29. niners816 says:

——————————

I think America undervalued the number of uneducated white people in this country. Trump was very popular with that group.

30. Both Brady and Trump cheat on their wives and married foreigners. Two peas in a pod.

31. Yep, welcome to the current America where you are persecuted in the media and in your personal life for who you support. This will hopefully be reversed going forward now that people realize how mis-informed the current media is and how they have lead many down to a road filled with lies.

32. Where is the controversy over Lebron James not just supporting by campaigning for Hillary? You know, the one who had classified material on her private server, deleted thousands of emails during the investigation and gave “untruthful” answers under sworn testimony? Come on media. Wake up. You’ve been outed. Brady can be friends with Trump without being harassed.

33. apparently alot of people supported TRUMP haha.. time to get over it and be proud to be an american or go to canada! Funny thing is you never heard anyone say “I will move to Mexico!” HAHAHA

#DRAINTHESWAMP

34. ryder09 says:
    Nov 9, 2016 2:00 PM
    niners816 says:

——————————

——————-
    I’m white and I voted for Trump. I also graduated from college with a bachelors degree in computer science. I guess that makes me “uneducated” to you liberals who are sore losers. Get over it, bruh, Donald is YOUR new president.

35. Roger Goodell can’t be feeling too good about a Brady Buddy in the White House

… especially when the NFL is trying to bribe and co-opt NIH researach

Brady may have the last laugh yet – perhaps an Executive Order to finally launch a true independent investigation into 345 Park Avenue

36. laserw says:
    Nov 9, 2016 7:42 PM

You’ll always be a cheater.
    —————————————————————

Fortunately there are also intelligent people who are able to understand basic science and were also able to process the following publically available information:

• The initial report claiming that 11 of 12 footballs were 2.50 PSI below 12.50 PSI was false and was later corrected but not before it permanently duped gullible people.

• Numerous scientists determined and publically stated that the cold weather explained why the Patriots footballs lost PSI.

• Several individuals and organizations performed tests using NFL footballs, PSI gauges, and refrigerators. Videos of those tests can be watched online and in 10 minutes anyone can watch footballs lose PSI when put into the refrigerators. The PSI numbers can then be seen increasing once the footballs are taken out of the refrigerators.

• The NFL collected PSI information in games played during the 2015 season but the NFL still hasn’t made that information public because it will show that footballs always lose PSI on cold days. (The online videos already proved that)

37. jimjets says:
    Nov 9, 2016 1:09 PM

As much as I dislike this dude, I always thought he was a smart guy.

Trump? Really?
    ______

I don’t know you either, but can tell that you are one of the intolerant and smug types that America voted against.

Shh, everything will be alright. Daddy’s home now. Off to your safe space.