Report: Randy Gregory fails another drug test while suspended

Getty Images

The Dallas Cowboys invested heavily in pass-rushers two years ago, signing Greg Hardy in free agency and stopping Randy Gregory’s draft free-fall in the second round.

They’ve gotten similar returns from them.

According to Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network, Gregory has failed another drug test while on suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, and his next suspension would be a year-long one.

Ignoring for the moment the lack of confidentiality of the league’s own policy when reported on by the league’s own network, it’s hard to say it’s that difficult a blow for the team. He’s only played in 12 games and hasn’t recorded a sack, and their defense has actually exceeded expectations.

At a human level, the news is more difficult, since he was a month away from a possible reinstatement, and doesn’t appear to have kicked the problem that landed him in the program.

79 responses to “Report: Randy Gregory fails another drug test while suspended

1. This guy is Jamarcus Russell all over again.

He took the money and ran, like a thief in the night.

2. How sad for the player, how “told you so” for the organization. Maybe one day they’ll learn, hopefully not.

3. At this point, Cut him!!! I don’t think he will ever grow up. I don’t care, as an avid Cowboys fan……..

4. If I’m not mistaken, he was allowed to be around the team for meetings and such…

Idk how to feel anymore. I wouldn’t blame em if they cut ties completely, I also wouldn’t blame them if they tried some more.

5. I’m not mad at these young DE’s who know they cant make it at the nfl level just taking the check and essentially flunking out of the league.

Here’s hoping they have a plan for the couple mill they got.

6. He is just addicted to weed. I have to ask ” do you think he just developed the habit in his last couple of years? ”
    I think he probably never smoked weed in college. Obviously I believe
    the NCAA and colleges are just using these kids. So what if they can’t read, so what if they smoke weed as long as we can make money off of them.!

7. Based on the returns they’ve gotten this season, you can’t laugh too much at the Cowboys’ draft picks. But they sure missed on this one!!

8. People who drink but look down on smoking weed: let ye without sin cast the first stone. I’d rather have a pothead in my presence regularly than an alcoholic any day of the week. Potheads all you have to worry about is your pantry, alcoholics you have to worry about everything because they’re so erratic, you have to protect other people when you’re around them, dang man, you need to protect them from themself. So stop it with all this’damn potheads’ crap, it’s tired and outside the hypocrisy of drinking being legal and weed not, it’s a fact that booze does much worse things to you. Shoot, in college, half the people smoking weed at parties were only smoking because they were drunk, if they weren’t drunk they’d be anti weed like you, so you tell me which is worse. This dude is an idiot because he’s an idiot, he’s not an idiot because he’s smoking pot.

razzzmajazzz says:
    Nov 11, 2016 12:22 PM
    Potheads have never been know for making prudent decisions.

0 0

9. myworldurjuslivinit says:
    Nov 11, 2016 12:29 PM

one word…LEGALIZE.
    ———————————–

Employers could still require drug testing and punishments for failed tests.

Alcohol is legal… most places, you can’t walk into work drunk

10. I remember how last year Cowboy fans was so ecstatic for the Cowboys to take him in the 2nd round, and how dumb the 31 other teams were to let him slip

11. This guy has Raiders written all over him. He and Aldon Smith would be great leaders for the seasons to come, even if they are ineligible to play. Come on Jack, Reggie, kick the tires on this bad boy. What are you waiting for? Outlaws and felons are the Raider way, yes?

12. I think the NFL needs to really re-examine the conflict of interest resulting from their obligations for confidentiality vs. their desire to be the premiere source for information on their league through their TV and satellite radio channels.

I would make this a major sticking point in any future negotiations. The players should not agree to any testing (drugs, Wonderlic, etc.) without a non-disclosure agreement from all entities of the NFL. Any failure to honor this should result in vacating any suspensions levied for the infraction. I also think monetary compensation should be given to the party whose privacy was violated when there is no suspension (wonderlic scores released, etc.)

13. Potheads have never been know for making prudent decisions.
    ——-
    People forget that most of these NFL players are dumb as a box of rocks. They only got through school because of athletic ability and they’re not any smarter than the guy who picks up your trash. Blame it on the pot if you like but it’s still less dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes.

14. Why does the author need to lie? Dallas didn’t “invest heavily” in Greg Hardy…he had a fairly high salary, but it was a low-risk one-year deal that the team could have walked away from at any time. Hardy played alright but wasn’t worth the distraction, so the team moved on.

Gregory was a bigger investment, but a late 2nd round pick doesn’t exactly have a high rate of success, so it has limits to its value as well.

15. The thing with getting placed in the NFL’s substance abuse program is you get randomly drug tested much more frequently and even alcohol is not allowed.

No excuses but if the player actually has a drug problem most are not going to make it through the gauntlet of random testing without getting popped. If they just enjoy a little weed here and there and got popped those type of players can make it through.

16. gmen5280 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 1:13 PM

Another great draft choice by Jerry.
    There were red flags all over this guy before the draft.

The Cowboys are one of the two or three best teams in the NFL to this point in the season because they have made a lot of great draft picks over the last few seasons – primarily o-line and, of course, Dak and Zeke.

No one hits a home run with each draft pick, but the ‘boys have been doing better than most recently.

17. RussianBreadMaker says:

Get your head right. Money is more important than pot. You can have all the pot you want once you retire.
    ==================================

How do you know he was doing pot?

18. Even if MJ is LEGALIZED in any given state, it will STILL not be allowed by the NFL as it is a BANNED substance & against the rules…..
    Until the NFL takes it off its list of banned substances, players still can’t use it even if it’s legal within the state they play!!!!

19. joetoronto says:
    Nov 11, 2016 12:16 PM
    This guy is Jamarcus Russell all over again.

He took the money and ran, like a thief in the night.
    ____________________

I enjoy a chuckle at the Dallas’ expense as much as the next guy but comparing Gregory’s $1.5M roll of the dice to Russell’s $39,365,000 heist is more than a bit of a reach.

20. People forget that most of these NFL players are dumb as a box of rocks. They only got through school because of athletic ability and they’re not any smarter than the guy who picks up your trash.

This guy is proof to your statement.

21. Wait…has Jerruh come out and talked about how he’s a leader for the team yet?

I think it’s safe to say, Randy Gregory’s career has officially gone up in smoke. Now he’ll have the rest of his life to do nothing but get high and look back at how great he was at Nebraska.

22. razzzmajazzz says:
    Nov 11, 2016 12:22 PM
    Potheads have never been know for making prudent decisions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In case you need a refresher course, the peaceful protests of the flower children era effectively ended the Vietnam war. As for Iraq . . . never would have happened if enough socially conscious potheads would have resisted the move. But, we seem to be stuck in a “dumb people” quagmire now. It’s a shame. I am so embarrassed for us.

23. The guy’s life is ruined because of pot. In 2016.

You can say it’s in the collective-bargaining agreement, and it is; you can say he’s weak for not being able to refrain from smoking pot, and you’d probably be correct. But in 2016 I still don’t know what a catch is, I certainly don’t know what pass interference is, so pot being illegal is just as silly and a complete waste of time.

Let me ask you this if you were playing opposite of Gregory wouldn’t you want him high? Doesn’t that make him less than full strength?

24. Such a disappointment. He played in the wrong era. 10 years from now it will probably be common place but as for now… such a waste of talent.

25. legal shmegal — if an employer sets certain employment standards and a guy wants to keep his job, he adheres to those standards and then works within the system to get those standards changed.

26. All this whining and carrying on about what? We don’t even know how or why he failed the test yet everyone is acting like he is some skid row junky.

27. @whathaveyou55 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 2:55 PM
    Ol’ Jerruh sure knows how to pick ’em, doesn’t he?
    _______
    Actually, recent history would indicate that he does. I still find it interesting that Stephen and McClay get all the credit for the draft hits and Jerry gets all the blame for the misses. Dallas (not Jerry) took a chance with Gregory and it didn’t pan out. They took a chance with Sean Lee and it did. They took a chance with Jaylon Smith and we shall see if. Either way, it was a team decision and not just a Jerry decision.

28. Another druggie in the NFL, what a surprise. I wish the NFL would just stop fooling around with these druggies and once they get suspended a 2nd time, cut their losses and move on.
    And I’m tired of their apologists, too. I keep hearing being a druggie is an illness, but I think that’s a bunch of bull. Because who forced them to take it the first time? They chose to put this crap in their bodies and they have no one to blame but themselves. It’s like picking up a rattle snake. You pick one up, there’s a great chance you’re going to be bitten.
    It’s another reason why I am against the legalization of marijuana for recreational use. We have seen the explosion of prescription and non-prescription use over the years and are bombarded with ads on tv to take a pill for everything from a headache to what ever else we think we have wrong with us. It’s conditioned us all to think we can’t live unless we’re putting something other than food in to our bodies.
    Kids today grow up thinking all of this is perfectly normal, when in fact it is anything but normal. Getting high on marijuana is going to be legal, and it’ll be another thing kids will believe is what you are supposed to do.
    I know the potheads will slam me for saying what I believe, but I don’t care. I am stronger than they are because I don’t need that crap to make myself feel better.

29. rdrs68 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 3:38 PM

________________________________________

You miss the point. He was already suspended for doing something and the idiot is stupid enough to do it again!!
    And anyone who has an addiction to drugs or alcohol, or even cigarettes is similar to skid row junkies in that they can’t control their urge to do them. The stuff controls them. It’s sad, to me.

30. jag1959 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 2:09 PM
    joetoronto says:
    Nov 11, 2016 12:16 PM
    This guy is Jamarcus Russell all over again.

He took the money and ran, like a thief in the night.
    ____________________

***************************************
    They both took the money and ran, why is that so hard to understand?

31. In case you need a refresher course, the peaceful protests of the flower children era effectively ended the Vietnam war….
    ==================================
    I don’t think it was the “peaceful protests” that made the biggest difference. The deadly violent ones were the ones that caused people to take notice. Kent State was one of the most shocking and impacting events of that era.

32. whathaveyou55 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 2:55 PM

Ol’ Jerruh sure knows how to pick ’em, doesn’t he?
    …………………………………………………………….

Of the 22 starters on Offense and Defense, 20 came via the draft. The other two have been here several years. So there’s that.

33. It’s never been much of a secret, that those who are so gleeful about the misfortunes of others, for no apparent reason other than outright dickishness, should probably do a self-assessment of their own achievements in life. I’d bet that most of the hateful comments are coming from losers who spew hate 24/7 from their parents’ basements, and are one step away from getting kicked out of the house entirely.

34. aljack88 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 4:03 PM
    ==================================
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    If you’re saying that peaceful protest met with deadly military force is not a good look, I’d have to agree with you.

35. whathaveyou55 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 2:55 PM

Ol’ Jerruh sure knows how to pick ’em, doesn’t he?
    …………………………………………………………….

Of the 22 starters on Offense and Defense, 20 came via the draft. The other two have been on the roster several years.

36. I am a huge supporter of marijuana being legalized and I think punishments for failed drug tests with regards to cannabis are insane. That being said I think the reason marijuana has bad image is because of people like this. It is not addictive or creates laziness but lazy and addictive people do smoke it. It doesnt make you stupid but stupid people still smoke it. I can lay off it for the rest of my life if I wanted to or more importantly HAD TO. Gregory had to do that and he couldnt do it, and for that he is a moron. I usually defend players on their first failed test but guys like him, Gordon, and Blackmon cannot be reached. He deserves whatever repercussions he gets if he gets fails test during a suspension for a failed test, and the failed test during the suspension was the same as the original one.

37. edelmanfanclub says:
    Nov 11, 2016 4:25 PM
    ===================================
    Okay, but it’s really none of your concern. You’re acting like you’ll get the bill for his mistake. Worry about your own life.

38. joetoronto says:
    Nov 11, 2016 4:01 PM
    jag1959 says:
    Nov 11, 2016 2:09 PM
    joetoronto says:
    Nov 11, 2016 12:16 PM
    This guy is Jamarcus Russell all over again.

He took the money and ran, like a thief in the night.
    ____________________

***************************************
    They both took the money and ran, why is that so hard to understand?
    ____________________________
    Nobody here needs to argue. We all know Joetoronto is white trash with nothing better to do than make comments about players/teams he knows very little about.

7-1. 100% your team doesn’t have a record as good.