Mike Evans: I will stand for anthem

Getty Images

Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans sat during the playing of the national anthem before last Sunday’s game and explained it was in protest of the outcome of last week’s presidential election.

Evans’ action was criticized in many corners before and after it emerged that he may not have voted in the election and Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter said he was “disappointed” while respecting Evans’ right to sit during the playing of the anthem when asked about it yesterday. Whether because of that response or other reasons, Evans released a statement on Tuesday saying that he would find other ways to communicate his opinions in the future.

“I want to start by apologizing to all the U.S. military members, their families, and the fans who I offended by my actions on Sunday. It was never my intention as I have tremendous respect for the men and women who serve our country. I have very strong emotions regarding some of the many issues that exist in our society today. I chose to sit as an expression of my frustration towards this year’s election. It was very personal for me, as it was for so many Americans. With that being said, I will not sit again during the National Anthem because I want to focus my efforts on finding more effective ways to communicate my message and bring about change by supporting organizations and movements that fight for equal rights for minorities. This Sunday, I will be back to standing with my teammates.”

The Buccaneers released a statement Sunday saying that they “encourage all members of our organization to respectfully honor our flag during the playing of the national anthem” and also recognize the right to free speech “which is crucial to the American principles we cherish.”

74 responses to “Mike Evans: I will stand for anthem

1. I don’t care for anthem protest I’d rather you do something than talk about something but it bothers me even more when they do it for 1 and 2 games and then stand.

2. Well done Mr. Evans! There are better ways to express your views than disrespecting our nation and our service members! It takes a big man to admit such a public mistake and I am glad you will put your teammates ahead of your personal feelings!

3. What a fraud. Doesn’t vote…protests election. Has “tremendous respect for the men and women who serve our country”…sits during Veteran’s Day celebration anthem.
    Has tremendous concern but not the strength of his convictions to continue his ‘protest.’ Once the heat was on he folded like yesterday’s newspaper, not just a moron but apparently a gutless one as well.

4. I just don’t get protesting the election. It wasn’t that it was unfair. Clinton didn’t get cheated. She simply lost. I think the Panthers fans should all go protest last years Super Bowl, makes about as much sense

5. ‘ I chose to sit as an expression of my frustration towards this year’s election. It was very personal for me, as it was for so many Americans. ”

It was so personal for you yet you couldn’t be bothered to go out and vote? You didn’t need to vote for either candidate (I didn’t) – you could have voted third party or even a write-in. Sorry, but Kaep and Evans are poseurs. Their protests are invalid and meaningless to me.

6. Regardless of Evans actions, not voting is a legitimate method of exercising American freedoms. If one does not agree with any of the candidates one should be able to express that opinion by not voting.

7. Good deal. Now the haters can hate him for not protesting the anthem. (Look at the comment at the very top. LOL)

8. Nice statement that I’m sure was written by someone more intelligent than himself (which would pretty much be anyone). It’s a bit late for it now. He should have thought about it before he decided to be a tool on the weekend designated to honor veterans for their sacrifice and service. Of all the weekends, he had to do it on this past weekend. What a tool. Maybe he’ll sit again if he gets benched and protest being benched. He’ll probably also protest the next time he gets a parking ticket because it’s oppressive. Sorry, but he’ll be forever known as the clueless guy who decided to be clueless and disrespect all veterans on veteran’s day. I’m glad someone finally got through to him but it’s a bit late for that. People will remember this for years to come. Tampa Bay has a HUGE military presence also. Hanscom was a big center of operations for the recent conflicts. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets booed in Tampa.

9. He’s such an articulate young man. I would have never guessed he could write that well, especially after reading his tweets and hearing him speak on TV. It’s almost as if his agent’s lawyer wrote that.

10. You wanna know why veterans feel so strongly about this? Consider this. I participated in one of the conflicts in the Middle East. I was told I had three days. THREE DAYS. Part of the process of going over there was we all had to fill out a will. A will. That’s not exactly something a 20-something ever thinks about. The people who were helping us were awesome. They knew that we were about to be going into harm’s way and very likely some of us would not be coming back. They were so nice. You could see the concern in their eyes. Then you get all the experiences one gets from being in a combat zone and memories you’ll never be able to forget. EVER. Think of all the young people the past fifteen years who have gone through the same things. THEY are the reason this country is so great, not the politicians and the people who throw a temper tantrum every time they don’t get what they want. Mr. Evans should have thought about that before he crapped all over the people who preserve his right to be stupid and make millions of dollars playing a stupid game. Maybe he should have thought of Pat Tillman and the words General MacArthur spoke “Duty, Honor, Country.” Mr. Evans probably has no idea about that. He can’t even be bothered to go out and vote yet he makes sure to take the time and disrespect every veteran who has sacrificed so he can be a clueless idiot. It makes my blood boil.

11. Typical millenial…sit down to show their disapproval, but can’t be bothered to do anything to improve the situation. Many of them now claim “Not my President” but if asked, will admit they didn’t vote.

12. Well, when you are protesting the outcome an election AND you didn’t vote AND your state is a swing state, you don’t have a leg to stand on….see what I did there.

13. cardinealsfan20 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 10:45 AM
    —————————–
    That’s fine, but would he have sat if Hilary would have won? I think we both no the answer is, No. You can’t not participate in the election then protest the outcome. If he didn’t want Trump in the White House, then Vote in another direction.

14. Personally, it would mean more to me if they did a protest after scoring a TD instead of some spastic dance.

15. cardinealsfan20 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 10:45 AM
    _________________

While it is fair to say it is okay to not vote for any of them it is not okay to use that as an excuse to justify not voting at all, particularly by someone protesting the results. There is no requirement to fill every portion of the ballot and that was hardly the only election or issue on his ballot. Us Senator, US representative, state senator, state rep, judges, ballot questions including state constitutional amendments as well as marijuana and renewable energy questions. Don’t vote = don’t bitch.

16. Sad that he can’t exercise his constitutional rights or the rights that the veterans helped to defend without having this unbelievable backlash.

The reaction Evans got to sitting represents everything both my country and yours fought against in world war 2.

17. turbo2728 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 11:12 AM
    Sad that he can’t exercise his constitutional rights or the rights that the veterans helped to defend without having this unbelievable backlash./////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If he sat for the anthem any other week I think most would get it, might not agree with it but no one would show shock.

He chose the weekend specifically designated in this country as thank you to the armed forces. So sitting on a day when the rest of the country is trying to show being thankful was in poor taste.

I believe that was explained to him and he understands his misstep.

18. He can say or do what he pleases.

But actions have consequences. And those with opposing views can be heard, too.

19. cardinealsfan20 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 10:45 AM

————————

Technically speaking, you are correct. However, exercising your freedoms by not doing the one thing that helps to ensure those freedoms in the future is counter-intuitive, small-minded, and petty.

20. Yeah right…”the election was very personal for me”.
    So personal that you didn’t even vote. What a piece of work. Another whiney, spoiled, overpaid loser.

21. As a conservative, I know the 1st Amendment protects one’s right to not stand for the national anthem. It also protects another’s right to criticize one for not standing for the national anthem.

22. turbo2728 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 11:12 AM

WRONG. He exercised his right to free speech. Those who disagree with the way he decided to exercise his free speech have the right to exercise their free speech. You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth. It’s OK for Evans to exercise his free speech but it’s not OK for others to exercise their free speech by disagreeing.

23. I’m on board with his view of the outcome of the election. The fact that Trump was elected demonstrates how many dumb/racist/lazy people there are in this country.

But, if he’s not going to vote, it sort of invalidates his expressions of angst.

24. What an idiot

Not standing for the anthem due to the whole police/black lives matter is one thing.

But now not standing as he doesnt agree with who won the presidential race ? Ridiculous. What next ?

“I refuse to stand as i dont like the increase of 50c on McDonalds have added onto hamburgers” etc.”

Its going to get ridiculous if certain players are sitting down due to something in the world they’re not happy with.

Why doesnt the multi-millionaire Mike Evans sit down in protest at people who are at food banks or are homeless ? People who cant afford basic food while hes spending $2000+ on champagne/food etc at a meal. What a joke

25. Dude probably doesn’t know a thing about Trump or Hillary other than what he heard on the “news”. At least Kaepernik has a legitimate point. This dude sits out in protest over a the results of a free election, that he apparently didn’t even participate in. #genius

26. Nothing says “I’m sorry” like reading a prepared statement that was obviously written by lawyers and publicists. Tell you what: Kaep, Evans and the rest of the protest crowd should do us all a favor and go stand in traffic–MOVING traffic.
    ============
    They ARE and blocking traffic 🙁 The current POTUS should nip this in the bud, but I, personally have heard nothing! So disappointed in him! Write in a name, if you do not like the choices, but if you don’t vote, you don’t bitch!! I would think the owner or coach came down on him with a hammer and GOOD for them!!! He has forever tainted his reputation, as he shocked me!!

27. Very educated response and I actually think he had a good reason to protest the result. I did not vote either I voted for Obama in 2012 but I was not going to give my vote to either of the crooks running this year. We had nothing to vote for and the fact that we had both of those two as candidates really makes our country look stupid. Voting for someone just out of anger or just because of being a woman which I think many did without looking at the issues is just not going to end well. The build to the election was just a comedy show the actual issues got ignored.

28. cardinealsfan20 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 10:45 AM

What that expresses is that you’re lazy and don’t really care. Pass in a blank ballot, write in a name but don’t be hatin’ be participatin’. Otherwise you really don’t have a reason to complain.

29. The surest way to make your point invalid is to not take the simplest action when it comes to your stance. In this case, just vote.

You’re not sorry to offend anybody. You got called out due to the fact that you failed to wxcercise you’re right to vote. Now you have to right to criticize Trump because you didn’t vote against him.

This is one election where each vote did matter and considering 47% of eligible voters did not, the person they didn’t want to win did win.

Sit down and be quite Mr. Evans…. you just got served by America

30. andrwken says:
    Nov 15, 2016 11:16 AM
    RegisHawk says:
    Nov 15, 2016 10:55 AM

—-

How do you think that is any different with your generation?

I’m an X and I’m not so old or blind to remember how we were when we were young. We’re also considered the worst voting generation.

Generation bashing makes you look old and uninformed. Any issue you take with current generations can be blamed just as much on the previous generations who raised them.

Why does everything have to be generalized? Why can’t the guy be a turd because he’s a turd.

I don’t think Kaep is moron because of his skin. I just think he is because of how he acts.

31. crooks running this year. We had nothing to vote for and the fact that we had both of those two as candidates really makes our country look stupid. Voting for someone just out of anger or just because of being a woman which I think many did without looking at the issues is just not going to end well. The build to the election was just a comedy show the actual issues got ignored.

The issues were not ignored. You just didn’t agree meaning you’re lazy and have no reason or right to complain.

32. Nov 15, 2016 11:12 AM
    =================

Our nations fought against calling a fraud a fraud? Guess we all missed that. Please enlighten us.

33. I still want to hear him explain why he thinks Hillary is a better choice than Trump. The country was on a good path to mend race relations until the past 8 years, when the current administration purposely made every issue about race in order to get votes. Why does he think more of the same would improve relations?

34. Wow, a lot of hate on here for a young man who felt strongly about something, but chose a selfish way to show it. He then apologizes and people keep kicking dirt at him. What kind of things did some of you do when you were a young, 20 something. I sure don’t want to be judged my whole life by some of the things I did then. I made plenty of mistakes, and I suspect most of you did too. You don’t know what’s in his heart, so stop saying his apology isn’t real, unless you know it’s a fact.

35. “I still want to hear him explain why he thinks Hillary is a better choice than Trump.”
    ———
    I agree. I’ve noticed that when i hear people discussing politics, I NEVER hear them discuss issues or policies. Those I know who are hardcore Democrats spend all their time ripping the “evil racist, sexist, redneck, ignorant, bible thumping” Republicans, and how they’re “against the working man and puppets of the rich.” Meanwhile, all the big time Republicans I know spend their time hammering the “godless atheist, whiny, lazy, tree hugging, bra burning” Democrats and how they’re all “welfare freeloaders” who are trying to push a “gay agenda” and “give the country to foreigners.” NOTHING about the merits of big/small govt., arguments for/against govt. regulations, tax laws, foreign policy etc. Just Conservatives ripping Hillary or Liberals bashing Trump. It seems like Americans’ political choices are motivated by hatred of the opposition, rather than knowledge of or approval of their party’s policies. Strange.

36. lordluvasuperduck says:
    Nov 15, 2016 12:53 PM

————————

The kid got blasted for protesting the outcome of an election that he didn’t participate in, so he couldn’t have felt that strongly about it.

That he chose to protest on Veteran’s Day weekend was the icing on the cake.

37. NHL players- stand up bunch of guys! as in all stand up. Go check out an NHL game live- you may be surprised how great it is

38. Evans cowarded out. He made a statement. Kaepernick made the same statement, and veterans were talking about how he was exercising his freedoms that the veterans themselves were defending. The fact that Evans did this on Veteran’s Day should have nothing to do with it, or should even enhance the same message that Kaepernick.

Maybe Evans has some endorsement deals he didn’t want to go sour…

39. Thanks for standing back up! As a father of a serviceman, CKs’ protest has been a repeated punch in the gut to me. Everybody deserves a second chance (even CK) and I thank you for doing what I think is the right thing!

40. cardinealsfan20 says:
    Nov 15, 2016 10:45 AM

____________________________________

41. “So he is exercising his American freedom to not vote because he doesn’t like either candidate, then protests the national anthem because he doesn’t like the outcome? Gotcha, makes total sense”

It does make sense.