Sheriff: McKnight’s killer fired shots from inside his car

Getty Images

The man who shot former NFL running back Joe McKnight has not been charged yet. But he still could be.

Jefferson Parish sheriff Newell Normand told reporters on Friday that the investigation will proceed in a “deliberate” and “credible” way, with no “rush to judgment.”

“If you do not dot every ‘i’ and cross every ‘t’ and there are deficiencies in what you do from an investigatory standpoint, it has dire consequences,” Sheriff Normand said.

Sheriff Normand also advised caution regarding the use of social media, and he said that any demonstrations regarding the incident must comply with all state and local laws.

“I would ask the community to pause and reflect that if you start with ‘I feel,’ that is a slippery slope,” Sheriff Normand said. “It’s what the evidence suggests, what the evidence reveals, and what the evidence is.”

Sheriff Normand added that the shooter, Ronald Gasser, did not stand over McKnight. Gasser, according to Sheriff Normand, was in his car when the shots were fired. The shell casings, Normand said, were in the car.

Also, Sheriff Normand said there is no video of the shooting, and no witness account of any “apology” being made by McKnight to Gasser.

The reference to the shots being fired by Gasser while in his car brings into play Louisiana’s “Kill the Carjacker” law, an extension of the “stand your ground” law that allows for a person to use deadly force to defend himself while in a vehicle. And this could set the stage for Gasser never being charged or, if he’s charged, acquitted of any crime that he may have allegedly committed.

33 responses to “Sheriff: McKnight’s killer fired shots from inside his car

1. The previously reported facts of the suspect standing over the victim and shooting him and a witness to that appear to not be true.

Perhaps it’s possible that the road rage in this case was one sided by McKnight – perhaps he approached the suspect in a threatening manor and attempted to cause injury to him. I have no idea if this was the case, but this is why it is important to not rush to judgement.

2. Thank you for a more reasoned and fact-based post, Counselor. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a post acknowledging the facts on the ground and refraining from speculation, no matter how bad one might want the clicks.

3. So this guy cuts off McKnight on the bridge, McKnight becomes angry and follows him to confront him perhaps gets off at his exit and when at a stop Joe gets out looks angry as to get in the guys face about cutting him off which a lot of people do everyday and this guy felt threatened and because the state they live in he was justified by shooting 3 times.

4. I guess locking your car door and making sure your window is up is not a safe option if a stranger approaches your vehicle in broad daylight. At least it’s too complicated for those that just assume everyone is armed and ready for a shootout.

5. So much for the eye witness account. These idiots that need their 15 minutes so badly they will say anything to get it give no thought to the harm they do. We used to wonder why in the absence of any real info there was always such a rush to judgement, thanks to idiots with an agenda giving false statements without repercussions we no longer even give it a moments thought.

‘A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can even get it’s shoes on.’

6. When will the public ever learn to wait for the evidence before jumping to conclusions and judgment? No wonder human history is filled with consequences of not following Rule of Law. Eyewitness accounts are so seldom correct.

7. McKnight had no weapon. he was laying in the street towards the rear of his car. so tell me how he was shot there while the shooter was still in his car, yet none of his rear windows were shattered. since that isnt the case, the most logical explanation to me is that the driver shot and hit McKnight in his car, and McKnight got out of his car trying to run away to safety. thats “carjacking?!”

and so the people that say they saw the shooter stand over McKnight and shot him again while saying “i told you not to f**k with me” are lying?!! if this guy gets off without even being charged, then these “stand your ground laws” are allowing people to get away with murder. plain and simple.

8. Tim Weaver says:
    Dec 2, 2016 2:59 PM
    I can’t wait to read the many rational and thoughtful comments to come on this story.

Cue all the angry old wh!te guys ……..

9. Some backward confederate state law makes Gasser no less a coward.

You can be sure if you reversed the characters in this story, Joe McKnight would, as we speak, be charged with capital murder, which would be spun as the prudent approach to take while the facts are sorted out.

10. So, if you get in a heated argument with no weapon nor physical contact but fill “threatened” you can now shoot to kill?

11. People that make false eye witness accounts need to be held accountable for their repercussions.

12. Im not a Liberal or a Conservative I just try to live the best I can and provide for my family and this country is getting scary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That, chicagosportsfan, is the understatement of all time.

13. KIR says:
    Dec 2, 2016 3:27 PM

14. teal379 says:
    Dec 2, 2016 4:21 PM

__________________________________
    you forgot your sarcasm font…

15. teal379 says:
    Dec 2, 2016 4:21 PM

———————————————-
    Are you serious bro?? That is probably the dumbest comment I have ever read!

16. spyder9669 says:
    Dec 2, 2016 5:14 PM
    teal379 says:
    Dec 2, 2016 4:21 PM

———————————————-
    Are you serious bro?? That is probably the dumbest comment I have ever read!

*****

No bro. He was being sarcastic, bro. I’m pretty sure, bro. Bro… I’m serious. It was sarcasm, bro.

ARGHHHHJHHHH… I wish there were a law that allowed us to shoot (with rubber pellets) grown men who call other grown men “BRO” .

17. Whoever is at a crime scene and lies about the situation should be charged with perjury!!!! The perjury law should be stiffened and at least jail time. All I know, is there is two conflicting stories and I will have to wait on a media; whom I consider are instigators, for what will be the last story, but not necessarily the actual truth???…..

18. “So this guy cuts off McKnight on the bridge, McKnight becomes angry and follows him to confront him perhaps gets off at his exit and when at a stop Joe gets out looks angry as to get in the guys face about cutting him off which a lot of people do everyday and this guy felt threatened and because the state they live in he was justified by shooting 3 times.

Does this not seem insane to you? You don’t think Joe would of backed off by merely seeing the gun or having it pointed at him? He felt it necessary to shoot 3 times?”

****************************************************

Sounds to me like this poster is doing EXACTLY what the Sheriff said that we ought NOT to do. A lot of speculation, no facts, no witnesses. This is what can cause riots and more deaths to happen.

19. I say this as a white man who is by no means a liberal. This one is hard to absorb. I understand and agree with the sheriff’s statement that it is important that we not rush to judgment, and that we carefully assess the facts before we decide what happened. But.

It seems we only make that effort when it’s a white person doing the killing. And I have to reiterate that I’m surprised I’m even writing these words. It’s not the side I usually take. But, it’s broad daylight, and this guy shoots three times at an unarmed man over a road incident, kills him, and gets to walk free a day later? That is absurd.

It seems like everyone is presuming McKnight was the one raging. Where is the evidence for that? We’re allowed to just assume the black guy was the threat, and the white guy was justified in *killing* him for it? Come on. Perhaps the facts will exonerate the shooter, and perhaps he’ll be acquitted or not even charged, when the time is right. But the common practice in law enforcement is to hold a suspect in jail — or at least hold a bond hearing. You can’t just let a guy walk away a day after killing someone unless there is indisputable evidence it was justified self-defense (which is not the same as “I *thought* he might harm me.”). That, to me, is what really pushed me toward thinking something is wrong. If they spend a few weeks gathering the facts and decide it was justified, fine. But one day?! And based on what? The shoooter’s version of events? Joe McKnight isn’t around to tell his side.

20. “No one in the history of the world has ever been gravely injured or killed by someone without a weapon.”

**************************************************

I am hoping and thinking that is sarcasm???

21. “I’m not an activist. But, I don’t know. How much longer can we put our heads in the sand and pretend the police don’t treat white people better than they treat black people? I think this is the one that finally broke me.”

*************************************************

I don’t know either. I used to live just a little north of New Orleans and still live fairly close to New Orleans (Mobile, Alabama). Occasionally I have reason to go there on business. I hate going there! One thing that you notice immediately is the ratio of blacks to whites on the street. The Mayor, when Katrina came through, called New Orleans, “our chocolate city” and he was right. It is a predominately black populated city. And, yes, there are a lot of white people who are scared of black people particularly BIG black men, if they are angry and charging a car with only a white man in it.

However, the police and sheriffs department is also black dominated. Now, Jefferson Parish sheriffs department has more whites than the NO Police, but most of the deputies are black. You would think that the sheriff would recognize the potential for blacks being angry and possible violent demonstrations to follow and that he would keep Gasser in jail for his own protection and to keep the “lid on” for at least a week or two. At least until they could investigate more thoroughly until letting him go with no charges or charge him. I think that the sheriff is showing poor judgment in just letting him go right now.

As for your last statement, I think that there just might be a reason for that being true. If you watch the news media, read the papers or take your head out of the sand, you will see, percentage wise, black people committing crimes, violent crimes, paraded before us all the time. Blacks only make up 13% of our population, yet, it seems that the coverage of violent crimes committed by blacks is over 50%. The media, either consciously or not, is perpetuating the idea that blacks are more violent than whites and that fosters fear in white people. And, cops are people as well. They face this everyday. When the majority of your crimes and arrests are black, that has to subconsciously affect the way that you approach them. Right or wrong, it just might be a fact.

22. “you never know who is carrying one and who isn’t.”
    ____________

good.. mind your own business and don’t start trouble with people you don’t know and you’ll never have to know who is carrying one and who isn’t.. What’s so hard about that?

23. “would keep Gasser in jail for his own protection and to keep the “lid on” for at least a week or two. At least until they could investigate more thoroughly until letting him go with no charges or charge him.”
    ______________________

Your view of our justice system is terrifying.. you can’t just lock people up for a few weeks without charges and think that’s okay. Much of our basic structure as a nation is built on that single fact.

24. I wasn’t talking about keeping him for someone to force him to confess or something, I was talking about for his own protection more than anything else. I’m sorry if it came across that way.

Of course, they could just charge him, keep him in jail for six months, then let him go for “lack of evidence”. Six one way, half a dozen the other.

25. We’ve seen over and over that the reported “facts”, are quite often not true at all. Yet the majority of posters continue to jump to conclusions. When will we learn.