Adrian Peterson: No return if we are out of playoff contention

Getty Images

If the Vikings want to get running back Adrian Peterson back on the field this season, they’re going to need to win their next couple of games.

Peterson spoke to reporters at the team’s facility on Wednesday and said that he expects his surgically repaired knee will feel well enough for him to return to action for the final games of the regular season. He appears to be targeting the December 24 game against the Packers as a possible return date, but added that it would be “pointless” to play in that game or their Week 17 matchup with the Bears if the Vikings are already out of playoff contention.

“Obviously, if we lose two games, we’re out,” Peterson said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “So we’ll just play it by ear. … I’m thinking that we’re going to make the playoffs so that’s what I’m keeping my mind set on.”

The Vikings are in Jacksonville this weekend, so they stand a pretty good chance of winning their second game since October 9. They’ll play the Colts at home in Week 15 and winning both won’t give them a playoff spot, but it seems it would make it a lot likelier that they’ll have Peterson’s help for a final push.

94 responses to “Adrian Peterson: No return if we are out of playoff contention

1. “The Vikings are in Jacksonville this weekend, so they stand a pretty good chance of winning their second game since October 9”

Let that sink in for a an ariani minute.
    #dedication

2. Very funny, BobtheBillsFan. I don’t think you have much to chirp about, at least the Vikings still have a good shot at winning our division again. That’s something Bills fans probably don’t ever think about.

3. I don’t know if we can count on a win in Jacksonville. Remember when the Packers beat them by 4 in Week 1, all the Packer fans were telling us how great the Jaguars are this season.

4. The guy is 32 years old and coming off a major knee injury, no need to risk injury in games that wouldn’t matter, i think that is pretty much common sense, but not to packer fans or idiot vikings fans

5. We need to draft a young bell cow to put behind a fixed oline next year with Bradford at the helm. #superbowlhomefield

6. The Vikings probably wouldn’t want him to play in the playoffs. He loves to fumble in critical games and situations. Just ask the Saints and Seahawks.

7. Helluva teammate you are, Mr. Peterson
    ———–
    Said someone who thinks reading the headline is exactly the same as reading the article.

8. Well… Bye Felicia. I’m sure he won’t take a pay cut to return next year. Why would you do such a thing for a team who paid you a full year’s salary for playing one game in 14 due to your own stupid actions and another full years pay in 16 for playing in 2 games.

9. He’s probably done as a Viking. Overpaid and hurt too much is not a good formula. He’s a good RB when healthy but he’s starting to breakdown.

10. People will rag on AP for this statement. But what would you expect him to do? Play in a meaningless game? For what?

Pride?

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’m really tired of players being raked over the coals for making business decisions, while owners, teams, and the league do it all the time.

11. This is a statement, whether true or not, that would never have been uttered, or accepted by our culture even 15 years ago.

12. Peterson and his repaired knee still couldn’t run through an o-line that can’t block. Even if they win a few of their remaining games their playoff hopes are dismal and their offense can’t score enough points to keep up with Seattle or Detroit in the post season. Vikes need to cut bate, let him get healthy and trade him for whatever they can get. Plenty of fresh legs in the 2017 draft.

13. allight59 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:30 PM
    He’d get over 200 yards vs. GB’s pathetic defense…

He won’t get 200 yards over the rest of his career.

14. Funny, because he’ll still be paid for not showing up to work on Sunday. I wish I could tell my boss that if we’re not gonna hit quota then I’m not showing up the last few days.

15. “I play when I wanna play”… whoops that was a different viking… Ready to move past the adrian era and dump all his money into a good offensive line.

16. He’s been paid an exorbitant amount of money to take vacations two out of the last three years. Just think of all the talent the Vikings could’ve signed if they didn’t have this boat anchor hanging around their necks.

17. Funny, because he’ll still be paid for not showing up to work on Sunday. I wish I could tell my boss that if we’re not gonna hit quota then I’m not showing up the last few days.
    ——-
    So if you broke your leg at your job and they didn’t keep paying you, you’d be OK with it? In fact it’s against the law for an employer to do that.

But if they pay you workman’s compensation for getting injured doing your job then you yourself would be, “still be paid for not showing up to work”

Why would it be OK for you or I to get paid to heal/rehab from a job related injury but not him?

18. factschecker says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:30 PM
    Helluva teammate you are, Mr. Peterson
    ———–
    ——–
    I did, but you can choose what you want to believe.

19. giantsfan82 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:38 PM

—————

Yeah, I’m sure it’s just him and not the coaches who came to this decision. Why risk further injury unless there is something more important than a regular season game to play for?

God, as a Packers fan I hate defending AP but come on.

20. People will rag on AP for this statement. But what would you expect him to do? Play in a meaningless game? For what?

Pride (like you mentioned), maybe honoring his contract?

21. He’d get over 200 yards vs. GB’s pathetic defense…
    —–
    I remember you said that before the first meeting this year and he got less than 50. I remember you guys said that twice last year and he got like 45 and 65 yards during the two games. You can keep on saying it all you want, doesn’t make it true, just makes it seem like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

22. vikings1234 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:21 PM
    ===================================

I would think that a Viking fan would have more of a warm and fuzzy feeling for a Bills fans since they are the only teams to go 0-4 in the Super Bowl.

The brotherhood of gag!

23. I did, but you can choose what you want to believe.
    —–

24. Following Peterson’s logic, if/when they get eliminated from playoff contention, everybody on the roster should just quit. Why should they risk injury in meaningless games if “the face of the franchise” doesn’t?

25. allight59 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:30 PM
    He’d get over 200 yards vs. GB’s pathetic defense…
    _________________

Not basing this on recent facts I see.

In the words of your own bathroom reporter – Ariani; Does this prima dona ever quit complaining?

26. No point straining himself if the team’s already been ass-wooped, might as well stay at home looking for all the charity money he still can’t account for.

27. vikings1234 says:
    —————————–
    Good shot at winning the division?
    The Vikings are 1-6 in their last 7 games. They would have to go 4-0 the last 4 games and the Lions would have to go 0-4 for them to win the division. They have no shot at all.

28. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:02 PM

————————–

That isn’t his logic at all. He’s been out due to an injury, so why come back and take a chance to get hurt again if it doesn’t matter?

Besides, it looks like everyone else on the roster already quit at the bye week.

29. philtration says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:01 PM
    vikings1234 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:21 PM
    ===================================

The brotherhood of gag!

———-
    Ouch!

30. Can you imagine if AP wasn’t a gifted athlete and he had to deal with the real world with this type of attitude. I’m not sure how anyone would want him as their teammate.

That’s not even addressing what he did to his son, which is still nauseating to think about and that he he somehow feels he was the victim in that situation. I hope karma catches up with you someday, AP.

31. The comments are loaded with shade being cast by guys who aren’t working under an employment contract.

BOTH SIDES signed off on the terms. He isn’t freeloading or stealing in any way. The guy RIPPED TISSUES in his body for his employer, while at work, and while performing work where the danger of such was quite high. The contract reflects all this.

Completely reasonable thing for him to say: I’m borderline, if the games are meaningful I’ll try to go, but if they aren’t, I won’t risk re-injury.

Sheesh. You guys. 🙂

32. kcchefs58 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:15 PM
    Helluva teammate you are, Mr. Peterson

—————-

Excuse him for being pragmatic

33. This guy played in about two games out of the last 30 or so, gaining feeble amounts of yards and you want him back for the playoffs? I think all of the NFC would want that to happen. If he comes back during the regular season there is no way they even get playoffs.

34. djvh2 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:22 PM
    It’ll be hilarious when the Vikings move on from Peterson and then sign Lacey.

*****

Not with Mike McCarthy coming in as Vikings OC next season.

35. Right – because he has historically been such an X factor in the playoffs? He should probably get over himself now and realize that his time as a starting NFL running back is coming to an end.

36. Sorry to have to tell you, but football is a business. We hate it when a player acts like it’s business, but like it or not, it is still a business. Like many of you, I suspect we have seen the last of AP as a Viking. Too bad, his career will be one of those where people wonder what might have been.

37. Whether he plays this season or never takes another handoff in the NFL he’s still the greatest RB of my lifetime. Power, speed, agility, vision, he is/was the total package.

38. Detroit beats Chicago and Jax beats the Vikings Sunday and you won’t see him until next September. 3 down with 3 to go, a 1-3 division record and 4-6 conference record would pretty well seal the Vikings 2016 season.

39. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:25 PM

—————————————
    Yep. And I remember when the vikings were 5-0 and all their fans were telling us how great they were. Guess we were both wrong.

40. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:25 PM
    //////////////////////////////////////

Maybe you should win the game first, then talk big.

41. If it weren’t for AP’s incredible work ethic, the subject of him possibly playing again this year wouldn’t even be discussed right now.

Most guys with the same injury would have just gone back home and rehabbed for next season.

Not AP. He’s been working out with the team trying to get his body ready to return to action.

Not that the uneducated trolls from the east would be capable of understanding that.

42. nhpats says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:16 PM
    philtration says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:01 PM
    vikings1234 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:21 PM
    ===================================

The brotherhood of gag!

———-
    Ouch!
    —–

More like,

I spit my coffee out reading that. It’s been a while since someone made me laugh that hard on this site.

Kudos to you sir….

43. i.e. — he knows he will be cut before Feb 5 and wants to preserve value as a free agent.

But… he does have a $1M bonus incentive to win a divisional playoff game, so he figures he’ll stick around for that.

44. bazookajoeflacco says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:46 PM

You’re 16 years old?

Barry retired in 1999.

45. medialovesthecowboys says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:34 PM

________________________

For What?

How about to honor his contract and earn his paycheck like he agreed to.

46. Take a paycut and come to New England if you want a ring AP. With the offensive line Belichick puts out there, you will have another 2K season to go with your ring. #PerennialContender

47. teal379 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 3:27 PM
    bazookajoeflacco says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:46 PM

You’re 16 years old?

Barry retired in 1999.
    ————————————

I’m 31 but Im referring to a player that I watched his whole career… 2000 – current, there hasnt been a Runningback close to AP

48. This is not selfish, this is smart. The man only has a few years left in the tank, why come back at 80% and risk re injury unless it’s for the playoffs? This season doesn’t matter if they are done after week 17

49. I’m no AP apologist and believe it is time to move on unless he reduces his cap hit dramatically next year. However, clearly it’s the attention deficit disorder era, so you can’t expect commenters to actually read the entire article and quotes to see that AP was hardly quitting on the team, not to mention that under standard healing parameters his knee probably wouldn’t be healed until the end of the season anyhow.

50. AP is a great athlete, but a complete idiot.

His best move there would have been to just say he’s working towards coming back and not put any conditions on it. He’s been in media firestorms before and should know that less is more.

51. I would love to see the Vikings hand it off to him over 125 times in a game so he could get over 200 yards with his 1.6 per carry average.

This is a CAN’T win situation for AP. I have said it before, if he comes back he risks getting hurt. Even if he is still 100% healthiest he has been season, and finishes the season without a scratch on him, that Oline will do him ZERO favors, and he struggled at the beginning of the season, so then questions will be raised about him still having “It” if he chooses to play elsewhere next season.

My guess is he won’t return to Minny, and point to the awful offensive line play as a reason for his struggles, he may play someplace next year, I just don’t have an idea where, everyone brought up Dallas the last few seasons but now that’s not likely, so maybe NE or Oak if the price is right for the teams?

52. pkrlvr says:
    Dec 7, 2016 2:00 PM
    He’d get over 200 yards vs. GB’s pathetic defense…
    —–

But 3 years ago he had 409 yards against GB.

53. So…let’s say Peterson is able to play, but the Vikings aren’t in-contention by the time they play the Packers, and the Packers need the win.

Should he play, just to keep the Packers out?

If he doesn’t, will anything else convince a Viking fan he isn’t worth keeping?

54. and i like how so many of you criticize him for not giving a canned answer that you almost always hear from athletes that has no meaning to it. He was honest. you all ask for that when guys like peyton manning and Brady give meaningless answers, and when you get a truthful answer for once, you criticize the truth. jack nicholson was right, you can’t handle the truth.

55. 13worldchampioinships says:
    Dec 7, 2016 4:34 PM

But 3 years ago he had 409 yards against GB.
    _______________

He was also in his prime back then.

Rb is one of the positions where “It” can be gone in a hurry. Especially after you hit 30. Chris Johnson, Portis, and Alexander, to name a few have all shown that.

56. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:26 PM

The only way Peterson helps the Vikings beat the Packers is if they sell out to stop him again. Are they that dumb? Maybe.
    ______
    allight59 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:30 PM

He’d get over 200 yards vs. GB’s pathetic defense…

___________________________________

Remember when Green Bay thought they had a stout run defense and Bradford and Diggs were lighting-up the Packers secondary? Will be interesting to see how the Packers game-plan their loss at Lambeau.

57. As a Packer fan, I hope he does come back and play because frankly, he’s not very good anymore. He isn’t exactly young, especially for a RB and clearly injuries have taken their toll.

58. mnvikes1961 says:
    Dec 7, 2016 5:05 PM
    \
    __________________

Remember when the Vikings thought they had a good enough offense to compete win the division easily after getting off to a 5-0 start. That offense hasn’t put up over 20 points without the help of the defense this season.

You can tell the Vikings fans feel the season is over, as they are all ready looking ahead to their “Superbowl” at GB.

59. I’m not shocked to read so many idiots in the comments. This isn’t Peterson’s decision alone. The organization will shut him down if they are out of contention. If they want to have him play next year or trade him, what possible good does having him play on a knee that isn’t 100% in meaningless games? If the Vikings are out of the playoffs, they wouldn’t put him out there if he wanted to play.

60. I think his position makes sense.

If the Vikes are out of it, why risk further injury?

If the Vikes are still in it, he’ll do what he can.

He still sees himself as someone who could potentially play another year or two if he can avoid getting hurt again. Why risk that unnecessarily?

While I agree with his position, I think it would be better not to say it out loud. That just aggravates people and energizes the haters.

61. 13worldchampioinships says:
    Dec 7, 2016 4:34 PM

But 3 years ago he had 409 yards against GB.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And Green Bay won both games that year and went to the playoffs while your beloveds sat home. But yay for Peterson? I guess?

62. get off my lawn guy…………………Peterson led the league in rushing LAST year. put just a little thought in before you post your comment. duh

63. stellarperformance says:
    Dec 7, 2016 1:50 PM

))))))))))))))

Not stellar talking like he doesn’t have a worse case on his team. $13 million a year for Clay Matthews to have his annual hamstring problems or other roid injuries. The guy went two weeks last year without making a tackle playing inside linebacker. Not easy to do .

64. While some may think “an incredible work ethic” is why AP can come back from such an injury, most of it is out of hands. It depends upon the injury, the surgery, and the way and the speed that his body heals. There are plenty of players that have his work ethic and probably some that work even harder.

There are plenty of people who are “tough” and work hard that can’t come back from injuries, through no fault of their own.

65. 13worldchampioinships says:
    Dec 7, 2016 4:34 PM

But 3 years ago he had 409 yards against GB.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple things.

1.) That wasn’t the point I was trying to make in response to the other person.

2.) They didn’t win both games that year. Vikes won the final game of the season 37-34 .

3.) Vikings didn’t sit at home watching the playoffs. But they did lose to GB in the Wildcard (congrats).

4.) Both MN and GB watched the conclusion of the 2012 NFL season on the couch.

66. shaggytoodle says:
    Dec 7, 2016 5:03 PM
    13worldchampioinships says:
    Dec 7, 2016 4:34 PM

But 3 years ago he had 409 yards against GB.
    _______________

He was also in his prime back then.

__

He did that after he tore his ACL and had Christian Ponder at QB.