Aaron Rodgers on calf injury: “I’ll be out there and ready”

AP

Yes, the Packers are allowing quarterback Aaron Rodgers to take it easy this week.

But no, there’s no danger of him missing Sunday’s game against the Bears.

Via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Rodgers said the right calf muscle that kept him out of practice yesterday and will today is a problem, but not one that will keep him off the field this weekend.

It’ll be about pain management on Sunday, but the good thing is I’ll be out there,” Rodgers said. “I’ll be out there and ready.”

Rodgers had been nursing a left hamstring injury since late November, but had been at least limited in practice. Not participating at all yesterday was new, but he’s dealt with calf injuries before (specifically, late in 2014) so he knows the drill. And since he injured himself on the third play of last week’s rout of the Seahawks, it’s clear he can play and play well despite the injury.

“I’ve dealt with a lot of injuries over the years, and you just learn about pain management and how to keep yourself in the best shape to play on Sunday, and then playing with pain,” Rodgers said. “Obviously, I hurt it on the third play of the game and had to gut it out through some very difficult pain speaking to me at times and obviously slowing me down with some of the stuff I’m good at moving in the pocket or outside the pocket.”

A limited Rodgers is better than any of their other options, and having him on the field will be critical to their playoff chase.

42 responses to “Aaron Rodgers on calf injury: “I’ll be out there and ready”

1. Healthy or not, Packers-Bears games are always tough. It’s the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Sunday at Soldier Field on the shores of Lake Michigan looks to be a classic, with weather to match.

Go! Pack! Go!

Bear Down Bears!

2. The high temperature in Chicago on Sunday is zero with double digit wind out of the west. Better find a run game to bring to the Soldier Field cow pasture. Bear Down!

3. Best to assume he is over dramatizing his calf injury to catch defenses napping on his ability to extend plays with his quickness. Or he could just be trying to look tougher than he actually is. I remember in 2014 getting tired of watching that limp come and go depending on how close he was to the safety of the sidelines

4. 2016nfcnorthchampiondetroitlions says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:11 AM
    Take this week off, Aaron. You will need all your strength next week against the Vikings. Huge showdown to determine 2nd place in the NFC North!
    _________________________________________

You are one scared Lions fan and it is obvious. Scared that the Packers are going to win the next two to get to the NFC North showdown. Scared that your boys will lose one of the next two. Scared that the Packers will make Ford Field their house. Scared that losing is just your destiny. Scared.

Hang in there buddy. On the bright side, you could be a Viking fan. Yikes.

5. tdubdizzle says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:22 AM
    Diva

leatherface2012 says:
    Dec 15, 2016 8:21 AM
    diva
    ________________________________________

A “diva” that both of you would gladly take to lead your teams.

6. “I hurt it on the third play of the game and had to gut it out through some very difficult pain speaking to me at times.”

A. Who says “the pain was speaking to me”?

B. Only a diva needs to let everyone know how tough he/she is to play through some pain. Every NFL player “guts it out” at some point during the season when playing with pain.

7. eaststsfb says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:32 AM

2016nfcnorthchampiondetroitlions says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:11 AM
    _________________________________________

Hang in there buddy. On the bright side, you could be a Viking fan. Yikes.

______________________________

I’ll only be scared when my team’s running back is actually a wide receiver. At least if the Lions choke away the division in week 17 (which can happen, believe me I’m a realistic Lions fan) their fans will get to watch from seats in a cozy stadium. They won’t be freezing their butts off wearing crappy colors on glorified benches that were paid for by themselves with phony stock. Stock?! The Packers are the dumbest team in professional sports. They rob their own fans. But,whatever keep paying for phony stock. Whoops…I mean, bleeding green and gold like a good loyal fan

8. 2016nfcnorthchampiondetroitlions says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:39 AM
    eaststsfb says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:32 AM

2016nfcnorthchampiondetroitlions says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:11 AM
    _________________________________________

Hang in there buddy. On the bright side, you could be a Viking fan. Yikes.

______________________________

—–

I think I’m beginning to like the Lions fan base.

9. Packers may have a WR converted to RB but Montgomery was converted to WR from RB in HS/College.

He’s also averaging over 5 ypc. I don’t care what number a guy wears if he’s getting 5+ yards per carry.

10. They won’t be freezing their butts off wearing crappy colors on glorified benches that were paid for by themselves with phony stock. Stock?! The Packers are the dumbest team in professional sports. They rob their own fans. But,whatever keep paying for phony stock. Whoops…I mean, bleeding green and gold like a good loyal fan
    _______________________________________

Scared and jealous – not a good combination. Therapy may help.

Good luck against the Giants and Cowboys.

11. actually no. the guy is a dink. .see how he treats his family, and yep that is important to me

I figure leatherface is really Rodger’s brother. He must be, otherwise how else would he know EXACTLY what the family feud is about?

12. Here is the full quote from Rodgers.

“I’ll be out there and ready as I always am, I just hope the rest of my teammates are out there and ready too because as I have said before you never know with this bunch”

13. eaststsfb says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:59 AM

DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE FEUD IS ABOUT. YOU DONT TREAT YOUR PARENTS LIKE CRAP

14. leatherface2012 says:
    Dec 15, 2016 9:41 AM

SO, IF THE LIONS WIN OUT AND FINISH 12-4, AND THE PACKERS LOSE ONE, AND FINISH 9-7, THE PACKERS STILL WIN THE DIVISION RIGHT? BECAUSE OF ALL THE HISTORY?

———————————————-

Yep. That’s what it sounds like. All these Packer fans talking about what ‘could’ happen and what ‘did’ happen years ago. A lot of things could happen…where are things today? Today, the Packers and Vikings need to win every game remaining to have a chance. And they can’t both win them all, which is beautiful. The Lions can win 1 of 3 and still make the playoffs.

15. Used to be a fan of Rodgers, not so much these days however. He’s become more than a diva, in fact IMO he’s starting to make Favre look normal in the “self awareness” dept.
    Dude needs to get over himself….who freakin’ talks about how tough they are in the NFL? Rodgers does every chance he gets and begs the question, is he even injured?

And on a side note, I have lost all respect for Olivia Munn as she surely must have issues if she’s willingly spending her time with that mirror hog.

16. leatherface2012 says:
    Dec 15, 2016 10:13 AM
    ME ME ME ME ME ME ..DID RODGERS MENTION ANYONE BUT HIMSELF? WHAT A CLASSLESS PUNK

DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE FEUD IS ABOUT. YOU DONT TREAT YOUR PARENTS LIKE CRAP

WOW!!! All caps?! You must really be mad, leather. Take it easy, man. It’s just a little good natured ribbing. Nothing personal.

Happy Holidays!!!

17. “Obviously, I hurt it on the third play of the game and had to gut it out through some very difficult pain speaking to me at times and obviously slowing me down with some of the stuff I’m good at moving in the pocket or outside the pocket.”
    ——-
    “im so awesome”
    “Im such a warrior going through SO MUCH PAIN”
    “No mere mortal could ever have done what I did with that pain”
    “I just…I just dont know how anyone…ANYONE…could do what I did out there.”

Thats what I take out of Aaron Rodgers describing how he played with a little owie.

18. Give me Rodgers ‘diva’ attitude (supposedly) over Big Ben’s never ending injury drama….

19. Im not sure what to make of this thread. I have heard they exist, but I’ve never actually seen a Lions fan out in the wild before. It’s like unexpectedly spotting a unicorn in your neighborhood park.

20. There are rumblings of whether AR should be back in the MVP mix!!!!!! You have got to be freakin’ kidding me……

21. If he can’t move, that would typically be a big plus for the Bears D. Except that it is going to be zero degrees so I don’t think anyone on either team is going to be moving very well in this game.

22. Vikes and Lions fans please go start a chat room and talk to each other.

The two class franchises in this division square off on Sunday and it is always a bone rattler regardless of record. I’m a Bears fan and Rodgers is the best QB on the planet right now. I hope we smoke them on Sunday but my guess is they win the division. Why? Because they have the best team.

Vikings and Lions always start chirping at any hint of success. You really sort of, no, you literally embarrass yourselves.

23. just supposing. if Rodgers gets slammed on that rock hard turf and goes into bonehead protocol, I don’t want to hear any whining from packer fans about hundley having to play, or that it’s a drop off.

24. I’ll be out there and ready… to throw up my arms looking for a flag after every incomplete pass.

25. Is there anyone who pats themselves on the back more than Rodgers with his humble braggadocio?

I hope he doesn’t break his clavicle reaching around himself with such fervor. You see what I did there.

26. “if Rodgers gets slammed on that rock hard turf and goes into bonehead protocol, I don’t want to hear any whining from packer fans about hundley having to play, or that it’s a drop off.”

Are you trying to compare AR -> Hundley to Teddy -> Bradford?

Bradford is better than Teddy. For your analogy to make sense, it’d be like if AR got injured so the Packers traded for Montana in his prime.