Danny Amendola returns to practice

Getty Images

The Patriots aren’t playing a game this week, but they were on the field for a practice session on Wednesday to keep the blood flowing while they wait to find out who they will play in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Quarterback Tom Brady and wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell didn’t take part in Wednesday’s workout as they nursed injuries, but wide receiver Danny Amendola did take part. It’s the first time that Amendola has been on the field with the team since hurting his ankle in Week 13.

There won’t be any injury reports out of New England this week, so there won’t be any word on how much Amendola’s doing while he’s on the field. It’s a good bet that anything he’s doing now is related to setting a foundation to build off next week when the team is gearing up to play a game.

The Patriots have added Michael Floyd to the mix at receiver since Amendola got hurt and he’s coming off a good game against the Dolphins in Week 17. With Mitchell, Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan also on hand, a healthy Amendola would leave the Patriots with some decisions to make at receiver when they have to set their next gameday roster.

27 responses to “Danny Amendola returns to practice

1. ikeclanton says:
    Jan 4, 2017 4:05 PM
    Amendola can take his sweet time if Floyd is going to play like he did last week.

———–

They can still use him to return punts and eliminate the chance of Edelman getting injured….

2. This helps kick offs and punt returns, as well as clutch 3rd down play.

The question is, do you now just sit Lengel and then have the 1 TE and use Fleming for heavy set packages and go that route.

3. nhpats says:
    Jan 4, 2017 4:10 PM
    ikeclanton says:
    Jan 4, 2017 4:05 PM

———–

——

Very good point.

4. Welcome back Danny boy. No excuses for not winning it all this season. I mean look at the plethora of weapons on offense. Belichick’s a genius.

5. I always say “Amendollllla!” like the “Mendoza!” guy in the Simpsons. I feel like this is important.

6. nhpats says:
    Jan 4, 2017 4:10 PM
    ikeclanton says:
    Jan 4, 2017 4:05 PM

———–

——

Keep Edelman healthy, and keep Cyrus Jones as far away as possible from any/all punt returns.

7. Love having him back. Say what you will about ‘Dola…… he’s been clutch in playoff games.

8. Danny Amendola is under appreciated in New England. He has the best hands of anyone on the team and comes through in the clutch. He will also be returning punts. There is no reason the Patriots can’t dress five receivers (not counting Slater), but Amendola should be part of that group.

9. I like Danny A returning kicks & punts over Edelman (too risky). But Wowser!; did the Patriots strike gold with Floyd! That is the big, fast monster wide-out they wanted Dobson to be. And Floyd has the potential to open up the defense like Gronkowski does. No way do you sit or diminish the roles of him, Hogan or Mitchell. BTW, I always loved it when the Pats stuck the Huge Legarrette Blount back to return kickoffs. He was awesome in that role. Defenders were terrified to tackle him head on, at full speed! he averaged over 30 yards per return the year they used him. ANd broke several for TDs.

10. Danny is NOT underappreciated. Believe me when I tell you this, we are very grateful for him and every other Patriot. That is all.

11. Randy Gregory 10 games for pot
    Doug martin suspended for aderrol
    Floyd still playing with 6’criminal charges pending and a third dui and the newest darling in foxboro.
    And people wonder why Patriot fans and management make people gag.

12. In the 2001 super bowl brady was throwing to Wiggins (tight end) and Redmond (half back). Sure, he had Brown and Pattern but the talent level on this offense is way above 2001 even with Gronk out.

13. I understand the importance of special teams, but if it comes down to Brandon Bolden or Amendola, I’m going with Danny. Under no circumstances do we sit Floyd.

14. Ya, I have been a fan of Danny’s from the start. He has been very productive for them, my fellow fans often forget key plays, like the TD against Seattle in the Super Bowl that got them right back in the game. Floyd is a great addition, and I think its great the Pats will have potentially 5 healthy and competent and talented WR’s for the SB run.

15. I punked Brady when he was in college at Michigan. In 1999 when I was in grad school at Rice my buddies and I went to MI and watched our Owls play his Wolverines. After the game we were at a bar when this clown showed up and threatened to “whoop on everyone.” Him 6’4 225 lbs. and me 6’10 275 lbs. I changed his attitude very quickly. I’m just glad this was before video phones and social media.

16. Awesome to have Danny back…. No more risking Edelman on punts & kickoffs….
    Brady now was another clutch slot receiver back in his arsonal of weapons which is never a bad thing….
    Keep Mitchell out & let him get fully healed for the AFC Championship game & hopefully beyond….Dola, Floyd,Hogan & Mini tron should be fine against whomever the Pats have to face on the 14th….couple those guys with Bennett, Lewis, White & Blount force trauma the Pats should be all set!!!

17. Love Dola but if he wants to stay in Patriots land next year, he’s going to have to do a MAJOR contract reconstruction this off season or he’ll be lost…. I think he really likes it here so I’m guessing he’ll rework his contract to stay… I’m guessing it will have to reflect a similar status like this years was….

18. usdcoyotesfan says:
    Jan 5, 2017 11:32 AM
    —–
    Wow, cool story bro. Maybe it’s just me but Tou actually seem even bigger and tougher than you describe as your big ole fingers type away at your keyboard.

19. usdcoyotesfan says: