Donald Trump got a phone call from Tom Brady

Getty Images

Despite a “Make America Great Again” hat being spotted in his locker early in the campaign, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has tried to keep under wraps his support of Donald Trump in the closet.

The Later-Today-To-Be-President outed Brady last night.

“Your friend Tom [Brady] just called,” Donald Trump said at a Thursday night black-tie dinner, in comments directed to Patriots owner Robert Kraft. “He feels good. He called to congratulate us. He feels good.”

How Brady and/or Mrs. Brady feel about that comment remains to be seen.

I’m not talking politics anymore, guys,” Brady said in November, via Phill Perry of CSNNE.com. “I’m just not. I got other things to worry about. Just speaking with my family, it’s just a bad idea. I know, you guys, I told you I would, then after I told you I would, I changed my mind.”

In September 2015, Brady made it clear that he’s not interested in or knowledgeable about politics.

“I don’t even know what the issues are. I haven’t paid attention to politics in a long time,” Brady said. “It’s actually not something that I really even enjoy. It’s way off my radar. . . .

“I try to have fun with certain things, you know, but some things a lot of times get taken out of context. I think you are just more careful with what you say because you don’t want certainly a big headline with you as saying something that’s going to take the attention away from your teammates or what you’re trying to do.”

On one hand, there’s nothing wrong with calling the incoming president to congratulate him the incredibly rare honor, privilege, and power he’s about to receive. Whenever a personal friend is about to become the President of the United States, it’s probably a good idea to at least give him a phone call.

On the other hand, the potential for friction and distraction when it comes to such a polarizing figure (and, hopefully, Americans who otherwise can agree on little can at least agree that he’s polarizing) makes it smart to keep that support under wraps. Which Brady had successfully done in recent months. Until last night.

It surely won’t matter come Sunday night. But it also surely gave Brady at least a mild cringe to hear that Trump had shared with the public a phone call that Brady undoubtedly intended to be private.

88 responses to “Donald Trump got a phone call from Tom Brady

1. Florio just threw the trolls a bone. Come and get it, kids. Go all rabid. We’re on to Pittsburgh.

2. So, am I to infer if Clinton had won, football players who supported her wouldn’t have to keep their support under wraps? They could celebrate wildly and not be suppressed?

3. magnumpimustache says:
    Jan 20, 2017 7:17 AM
    It’s obvious that God is a Patriots fan…
    ————————————————

If that is true, then why do Roger Goodell, Troy Vincent, Jeff Pash and Mike Kensil exist?

Is that God’s test?

4. Agreement has never been necessary to have a successful country. The ability to understand that the world won’t end if the other side wins on a particular issue is needed. Just like sports, respect your opponent and understand that some losses don’t equate to disaster.

5. First rule of political reporting. When someone in Washington makes a comment, DO NOT assume it is true in any or all its aspects.

“Tom just called,” could mean Brady called him a day or two after the election, which is far more likely. Brady isn’t calling a politician the week of the conference championship. He’s just not.

6. Yeah? And? Don’t we want our atheletes/celebrities to keep their politics private? I’m not a fan of either Brady or the president elect, but I haven’t heard Brady be obnoxious about this at all. He’s allowed to support who he supports.

7. Been reading all the stories on the QBs playing in this weekend’s final four, but there’s one that’s been totally omitted.

8. magnumpimustache says:
    Jan 20, 2017 7:17 AM
    It’s obvious that God is a Patriots fan.

Now we have the President too.

Ha. Lock up this year’s super bowl.

————————————————–

This is the greatest comment I’ve seen on PFT, and although I’m a Pats fan, I hate the misogynistic, racist, bigoted POS that will be our new…ahem…<>…president.

9. I am not a Trump fan but given Brady’s personal friendship with him, and Trump’s public support of Brady when he was under attack by Goodell and his lackeys, only an idiot would call out Brady for congratulating Trump.

10. Trump also proved he is a wise man when he said the Patriots will do great on Sunday.

Go Patriots! Go Trump!

11. I watched the replays of the Pats-Steelers AFCCG from 2001 and 2004 ( played in January of the following year). NFL Network played them Ay 12:00 am and 1:00 am, respectively.

I am surprised McGinest and Evans have survived what has become a Cold War.

12. Does anyone think there was a single owner and top tier player that didn’t vote for Trump? They may not have been as vocal about it but every one of these uber wealthy people want the tax breaks Trump will give them.

Yes, there were a few like Kapernick that undoubtedly voted for Hillary, but a lot more likely voted for Trump out of their own monetary interest.

13. Going out on a limb here but I’d venture to say if someone any one of us knew was about to become president we would probably take the time to make that call. lol

14. No cringe involved. Trump told him he would mention it and Brady was fine with it. He just won’t elaborate on it and who blames him. Just click bait faux news with no substance. Forgotten about tomorrow.

15. Not surprising at all that Brady supports Comrad Trump. They’re both a couple of whiny little bitches. Every time Brady gets hit he runs to the ref and complains just like Trumps tweets.

16. Considering most(if not all) politicians run as either left or right and rarely down tge middle, wouldn’t practically all politicians be somewhat polarizing? I mean if you rhink about it without biased, which I know is hard to do florial

17. Not only will he divide the states of America. Fans will leave. Brady’s likely calling him telling him, congrats and all but leave me and my team out of this.

18. danyod says:

====================================

As opposed to Hillary who called millions of Americans deplorable and said a guy (Byrd) who was a recruiter in the KKK was her mentor.

19. snnyjcbs says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:59 AM
    Bye Bye Obama, Hello President Trump, it is a Great Great Day in America
    ——————————————————-
    If you are a racist, or extremely rich.

20. I know Trump is polarizing, but my Brit relatives hate Obama for his threat “to send them to the back of the line” if they voted for Brexit. And for the lies Obama told about his grandpa being a tortured freedom fighter in Kenya when in fact he worked as an orderly for the British army and only later got imprisioned by the Kenyans as a common criminal.

21. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:43 AM

———————————————————

You assume too much, Kap proudly stated he has never voted and said Trump and Clinton were equally racist. He’s a fraud who needed a distraction.

22. joexfed says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:46 AM
    Nice – a cheater congratulating the biggest con man and swindler in American history.

bobthis says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:57 AM

——

#crybabies

23. Now I know why he’s sleeping alone in his super-duper client under armor commercials. Gisele wants nothing to do with the Orange Furher. Probably a few interesting conversations in that house.

24. Life goes on. Most of us will never notice a difference in our day to day lives (non war time) regardless of which politician says what to whom or does what to whom.

Most of us don’t care and live in the world we do actually have some control over and focus on that. Celebrity worship, political worship, Sports hero worship…life goes on with or without them. And none of them give two flips about you or I.

25. No one can trust what Trump is going to do or say – as his Cabinet members, staff and other appointees will soon find out.

26. staffordisbetterthanyourteamsqb says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:03 AM
    The decline of our once great nation starts today.
    ____________________

Today??!! Where have you been? And if it was ‘once great’ by definition aren’t you admitting it has already declined?
    Hope your safe space is nice, comfy and well stocked with tissues today. Neither Trump nor Hillary was a good candidate. I didn’t vote for either of them but you can be damn sure I am praying Trump is successful instead of crying into my pillow. He may not be the president you wanted but he’s the one we’ve all got.

27. Not exactly the kind of “press” Brady needs right now, but he should be use to it! Still, I would think the smart thing would be to distance himself from controversy as he prepares for the SB and any “well wishes” could wait.
    On the other hand, this is EXACTLY the kind of name dropping Mr. Trump is so notorious for, so what else is new? No big deal.

28. First, that goofball QB in San Francisco says after all his silly protesting he didn’t even bother to vote, so anything he says or does he has totally invalidated by not voting. Second, I am a very dedicated Patriots fan BECAUSE of Brady. Like me, he’s a Michigan alum, so…. And as for Trump, I can’t stand the blowhard. He mocks the disabled, then lies about it and tries to deny what we all saw him do on TV, he says horrible things about women, Muslims, Latinos, and African-Americans, and he thinks being President is just like being a CEO, where he could simply order things done and they would be. So I can’t believe he was elected. However, this is America, and having been elected he will become our President, and I respect the office and hope he is successful for the good of our country. Fingers are crossed. I hope he surprises all of us who opposed him. Frankly, I wasn’t at all happy with his opponent either, so we’ll see what happens….

29. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:43 AM

—————————————————–
    Kaepernick didn’t vote. He was on one knee at his local mosque.

30. I was hoping Hillary won, and just before being sworn in Obama announced he was a woman in his mind and He just smashed the glass ceiling. Just thinking you’re another gender is all it takes right??

31. “So, am I to infer if Clinton had won, football players who supported her wouldn’t have to keep their support under wraps? They could celebrate wildly and not be suppressed?”

Please, this isn’t Stalinist Russia, at least not yet. People are free to support the candidate’s of their choosing. Trump chose to run an in your face campaign. To his credit, he won the electoral college vote. Given that celebrities and sports stars are commodities, they often try not to align themselves with individuals or causes that could hurt their marketability, even if there is a personal friendship.

It also might shock some readers that many people with wealth supported Clinton and more progressive taxation. Some owners didn’t abuse the public trough, as directed by Goodell, when building stadiums. Others did. Enos Stanley “Stan” Kroenke, as an American business entrepreneur, had the right to move his franchise from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

I can tell you from personal experience that a guy whose wealth came from Walmart, whose employees are often on food stamps, left devastation in his wake and a city that was willing to give him virtually anything to stay while watching huge areas of St. Louis become something out of T.S. Elliot’s “The Wasteland”. There are 80 year old women that now have to get on a bus and travel over a half hour each way to buy groceries. The NFL Play 60 doesn’t have any spots were the elderly spend 60 minutes on a bus to go buy groceries.

Football is a wonderful diversion. Alas, as a social construct, it is pretty much misunderstood.

32. “Surely you wouldn’t have written this story, had Hillary won and Aaron Roger decided to give her a call… right??”

It WOULD be a story if Rodgers decided to call anybody at this point lol….

33. staffordisbetterthanyourteamsqb says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:03 AM

The decline of our once great nation starts today. If you voted for this guy its your fault. Please remember that
    ———————————
    If you still think politics is real, time to wake up…
    They pick and choose who they want to get the sheep in a fuss. Trump is an actor just like Obama… The Federal Reserve is not owned by the USA.. Start there..

34. Tom Brady is keeping this line of communication open purposely. His career will be over in the next few years, and he is keeping this option alive as a possible career choice. I don’t believe their ideologies match, but where much of the mutual admiration between these two comes from is drive. As far as people who live their life in the public spotlight, you would be hard pressed to find many people more driven. It is one of the defining characteristics of both of these men, and a main reason they have developed this friendship.

35. Well if we want to know when exactly the phone call happen we would have to check his cell phone before the game. For some strange reason I’m guessing he will probably destroy his phone after this game.

36. “I’m not talking politics anymore, guys,” Brady said

In other words, yes I support a racist, sexist, cruel, lying, spoiled, evil con man, but I don’t want to be held accountable for it.

No one ever said jocks were smart.

37. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jan 20, 2017 10:30 AM
    Yes, Trump is a polarizing figure, but so is Obama. Why is it never a controversy when somebody supports Obama?

————–

Because obama isn’t a monster. Any decent person can see that trump is.

38. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jan 20, 2017 8:43 AM

—–

Absolutely. Not every rich person is a self interested greed bag who cares more about tax cuts than the future of humanity. Most are, but not all.

39. oh Snowflakes you will be ok. You will survive the next 8 years of Trump.
    When both political parties in the country fight so hard against a candidate you know that is the right guy for the job.

40. It’s so refreshing knowing America will finally be put first again. Today is a great day to be an AMERICAN. God bless this beautiful country and its victory today.

Also, say goodbye to all of your snowflake crusades, those days are over. Leash up your PTSD puppies and walk away, you are done.

It’s safe to say Redskins again, the smart people won, the weaklings lost.

41. throwingstones20 says:
    Jan 20, 2017 12:10 PM
    oh Snowflakes you will be ok. You will survive the next 8 years of Trump.

Most will, some won’t.
    Some will die because they lose their insurance.
    Some will die because deregulated companies poison them.

But that’s conservatism for ya – if it’s not a problem for ME, then it’s not a problem I care about.

42. nachofacefakeindian says:
    Jan 20, 2017 12:45 PM

It’s safe to say Redskins again, the smart people won, the weaklings lost.
    —-

You fell for a bunch of simple slogans from a con man who’s main talent is knowing how to win over gullible desperate suckers.

I’ve yet to meet a smart trump supporter. They’re either rich and greedy or just plain dumb.

Too bad you elected to learn your lesson the hard way.

43. “throwingstones20 says:
    Jan 20, 2017 12:10 PM

As far as Brady supporting Trump or Hillary or anyone else that is his right as a Citizen of the United States of America. To bash him for his beliefs is wrong and against the Constitution of The United States.”

Just a reminder that the same statement applies to Colin Kaepernick. And every other citizen of the USA, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, or sexual orientation.

44. If this was any other QB, everyone would ridicule the hell out of them. Then again, a bizarre number of people who respond to PFT articles actually seem to support Trump judging by the responses and patterns of thumps up/down, so maybe I’m wrong on that.

45. lanman11 says:
    Jan 20, 2017 5:09 PM
    They both have major cajones.

They both out of touch rich greed bags who cheat in their professions and dump their wives when they find a hotter one.

Slime recognizes slime.

46. mmmpierogi says:
    Jan 20, 2017 4:02 PM
    —-
    Comment sections for football websites skew very conservative. And not too bright.

These chumps elected a guy who says “buy american” while making his hats and ties in china.

These suckers elected a guy who said hillary was controlled by goldman sachs and then he filled his cabinet with goldman sachs bankers.

And they don’t even realize how conned they’ve been.

47. No surprised. From a cheater on the field and off. He knock up a girl, dumped her and went for another woman. Bill Maher pointed out that when the Trumps and the Obamas took their photo together it is the white guy who fathered multiple children with different women.