NFL stresses “inclusiveness” regarding Texas bathroom bill

Getty Images

Now that the entire NFL is safely out of Texas, the league has flexed a bit of muscle in hopes of influencing a proposed “bathroom bill” like North Carolina’s HB2 — which cost Charlotte the NBA’s 2017 All-Star Game.

According to Ileana Najarro of the Houston Chronicle, the NFL put out a statement which makes a thinly veiled threat to prevent future events like the Super Bowl that just left their state.

The NFL embraces inclusiveness,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said. “We want all fans to feel welcomed at our events, and NFL policies prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard.”

North Carolina didn’t really have any league events to threaten, other than an owner’s meeting at a suburban Charlotte resort last spring. That gave a few owners a chance to make appropriately concerned remarks, with 49ers owner Jed York calling for the state to overturn the law (it has not).

And with the next three Super Bowls promised out to Minneapolis, Atlanta and Miami, it would be years before a bid would be impacted. But with the NFL Draft becoming a traveling circus, that’s suddenly in play, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has mentioned bringing it to Dallas.

The NCAA also pulled seven championships out of North Carolina after their bill which limited the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender residents. But so far, only the NFL has weighed in on the Texas proposal.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (not that one) has forwarded a similar proposal called Senate Bill 6, with 15 Republican state senators supporting a law which would ban cities from requiring private businesses to allow transgender Texans to use the bathroom of their choice. It would also prohibit transgender individuals from using the bathroom that matches their gender identity in public schools and government facilities.

78 responses to “NFL stresses “inclusiveness” regarding Texas bathroom bill

1. najacoo22 says:
    Feb 10, 2017 2:17 PM
    2017: where you can’t call a man a man, or a woman a woman, because someone might be offended.

___________________________________

Why can’t you simply call these people by what they would like to be called? Why is it any skin off your back? Why not give at least a small amount of respect to a fellow American who has probably endured more than a little struggle and hardship in his or her life?

2. jasonatomic says:
    Feb 10, 2017 2:33 PM
    najacoo22 says:
    Feb 10, 2017 2:17 PM

___________________________________

_____________________________________

3. I literally spend zero time thinking about where or how others go to the bathroom. I’m not starting now.

4. “It’s not really about what they want to be called; it’s about special privileges they ask for / require. I’ll call you Elephant if that’s what you want. Just don’t pretend you have a trunk.” MD

MD for the win!

5. nfl should stay out of it and let Texas (or any other state for that matter) handle their own affairs—the NFL holds cities hostage for money to get new stadiums built and now they try to tell them how to manage public policy

6. So, if I were to identify as a woman, how do I prove that or can any guy just walk into the ladies room and hang out now? Or any woman can just wait by the standing urinals to watch the guys?

7. If you had to list 100 things government should be working on, would making bathroom rules be one of them? Sheesh!

8. The NY Times has an article up right now about how legal and socially progressive it is to refuse to rent housing to Trump voters. In other words, supporting the leader of the country is cause for being denied basic services by our tolerant coastal friends. Will the NFL stop holding Super Bowls in such cities since many of the attendees may not be able to even sleep safely there? Of course not. But if some guy in a dress can’t use a woman’s bathroom we have to get the UN involved.

9. “If you had to list 100 things government should be working on, would making bathroom rules be one of them?”

Hey its a truly vital issue ! Terrorism, corruption, the economy, all pale in comparison. Well, at least if you’re a politician trying to score points.

10. TV viewership slipping? keep getting involved in politics instead of Football…. The NFL has gotten to big for their own britches, slacks, or whatever they wear, nowadays….

11. We should legally exclude certain people from the bathroom in the name of progress because the state should decide who is and isn’t 3/5 a person

12. I actually care a little bit about this one. I have a daughter/wife.

I am actually scared of their safety in a bathroom because a man can use this to act like a woman. If it didn’t have the potential to harm my family, I wouldn’t care either way.

Too much grey area here.

13. Funny enough, Charlotte was the city in NC that passed a law ALLOWING people to use the bathroom for the gender by which they identified, and HB2 was passed to combat that city ordinance. As a result of Charlotte’s progressiveness, they were “rewarded” by having the NBA All Star Game taken away, had major concerts cancelled, etc. THEY WERE THE ONES TRYING TO BE MORE INCLUSIVE, but the state of NC disagreed, ad acted with a quick turn-around of HB2. That city is being punished because of something legislators in Raleigh decided. Fair?

14. If a person born a woman looks like a man and is forced to use the women’s bathroom there will be out rage. And if there is a husband outside the bathroom waiting for someone, the person could get physically assaulted. Especially if alcohol is involved at a sporting event for instance.

People are already going to the bathroom of their choice now and we don’t know them.

And stats show that the vast majority these people are not our pedophiles.

Live and let live.

15. Let’s not pretend this is limited to bathrooms. This crap extends to locker rooms and sports teams. For crying out loud we’ve had a male MMA fighter destroy a female opponent. Women are being pressured into silence about rape because they might hurt some poor tranny’s feelings. Let’s see how these people feel about letting some hairy pervert into THEIR daughters locker room no questions asked just cause he “identifies as a woman.”

16. And the opposite.

What if a man who looks just like a woman is forced to use the men’s room?

We can only hope that they are understanding people…

17. I fully support Governor Greg Abbott and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick.

Screw the NFL, they can put the Super Bowl in New Orleans or Los Angeles every year for all I care. Houston (and Texas as a whole) doesn’t need the “economic boom” that the Super Bowl provides, we do pretty well all by ourselves.

18. joeychittwood says:
    Feb 10, 2017 2:46 PM

——————-

I don’t know why you think any transgender bathroom bill would suddenly make it OK for people to just stand around in bathrooms. So the answer is no to both of your questions.

19. I don’t know why this is even an issue if I’d find out that a dude was in the ladies room while my 9 and 7 year old daughter’s were in there he would be picking his teeth off the floor quick

20. If we can’t keep politics out of football I guess it’s too much to expect we can keep football out of politics. (sigh)

21. Telling you, fast forward 30 years from now and SOMEONE will be championing that we be inclusive to pedophilia. Sounds ridiculous but so would this have 30-50 years ago. Liberals can’t stand pat, they always have to be fighting for SOMETHING, why should pedophile be shamed. I mean, you like what you like, right?

22. Is the NFL trying to make a political statement to gain favor with fans, or are they faking like they have morals?

We all know the NFL cares only about their pocketbooks, so I have to assume they are trying to make a PR move…which is confusing because the vast majority of NFL fans have no problem making boys with wee-wees all go to the same bathroom. Not sure I need to take a poll to figure that one out.

Pretty bizarre that the NFL is taking this stand. Also bizarre I live in a world where people feel “excluded” for having to go potty in a bathroom based on their true gender. I need to start brainstorming ways i can get offended and make people go way out of their way to make me feel good over something ridiculous…

23. Why do I think Texas doesn’t give a crap what the NFL thinks? Just doesn’t seem like a state you can hold hostage.

24. Lol did Democrats actually think the people were going to deny reality?

This is only the beginning. The days of burying truth to appease people’s delusions for votes is over.

25. So is one of the criteria for getting an all star game or a Super Bowl to run down all of the state and local laws to make sure it meets everyone’s approval? I do have to wonder what our ancestors would think about this. I bet they are shaking their heads over what we have become.

I truly miss the days when sports was a refuge from the political stuff. Once upon a time not that long ago I could turn on a game and know that for a couple of hours I wouldn’t have to think about it or hear about it.

26. “joeychittwood says:
    Feb 10, 2017 2:46 PM

So, if I were to identify as a woman, how do I prove that or can any guy just walk into the ladies room and hang out now? Or any woman can just wait by the standing urinals to watch the guys?”

See there Joey, therein lies the problem with all this madness. Anyone can cite this as the reason for doing ANYTHING from here on out. I mean whats the alternative? Do we require licenses and/or background checks for people so they’re the ones allowed to do what they want? Do we make them have a mental evaluation in order to prove they’re confused? What’s to keep a pack of smart ass teenage boys, men, pedophiles, etc from walking right into the locker room for girls/women at a gym, school, etc anytime they want?

All seems harmless the way it’s being sold to us, hey let Timmy who wants to go by Tiny in the girls crapper but this all is going to quickly spiral out of control.

Hell, we can’t even ask for simple I.D. to vote because it’s too oppressive or expensive to get an I.D., we really going to require some sort of mental evaluation I.D. for these people since abusive will be rampant, and yes, rampant it will be.

27. This issue is absurd. Did we suddenly have a mass influx of confused people recently? For decades these people have been using the bathroom of their choice and none of us knew or cared. Why make a big deal about it now? Forcing businesses to allow rules based on a whimsical mindset is ridiculous. You can’t prove how someone feels. Based on what these clowns are asking/demanding, I could hang out on one of those couches they seem to have in some female bathrooms and ogle every woman who comes in…and nobody could say anything. All i would have to do is say I identify as being a woman at the moment and then threaten a discrimination lawsuit. Is that what they want to happen? What they really want is special treatment so they can feel “normal”.

If you give them their own bathroom and call it “transgender” then they can only impact others like them and “normal” people won’t be affected. Except the trans folks and their surrogates would scream about having to use a bathroom with others who identify as a different sex than whet they think they are…hmm, isn’t that why they are complaining that the normal people are doing?

28. Civil Rights are not to be denied.
    Sadly, some have difficulty understanding anything that doesn’t directly, personally affect them.

The Fourteenth Amendment states that no state “shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the United States… [or] deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, [or] deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

29. I’m still confused how these bathroom laws are a legal problem. Everyone has an available bathroom, and it isn’t a “separate but equal” situation; the one and only reason we have ever bothered to provide different sorts of bathrooms is on the basis of physical differences between the two physical genders.

I understand that it can be uncomfortable for a transgender person to go use a bathroom designated for the person’s original physical gender, but isn’t it equally uncomfortable for non-transgender people? By preventing states from making laws such as the one in question, the states are saying “it is discriminatory to make people be uncomfortable with what bathrooms they have to use”…which conversely and paradoxically means that OTHER people are being made uncomfortable in the process. Unlike with gay marriage laws (in which the only people affected are those looking to be married, so truly those opposed have no direct association by which to object), the debate at hand regards the comfort of one group versus the comfort of another. How does the Constitution allow one group’s comfort to be prioritized?

I’m not saying I approve, say, of the NC law; I just don’t understand how it makes any sense for businesses and people to object. The only true solution to this issue would be to do away with communal bathrooms and make all bathrooms unisex individual rooms…absent that, I think we need to respect that no other action-step would be a good one.

30. I don’t care who or what you identify as. that’s your business. But if you are a man identifying as a woman and my daughter is in that bathroom the next step you take toward that door will be the last one. I can promise you that.

31. Remember the 1950’s and 60’s when they were real injustices? Now we have to find something to manufacture outrage. We’ve sure come a long way.

Injustice is the result of attitudes like yours, when unaffected people shrug their shoulders and say “all these groups I’m not a part of need to just buck up and get over it!”

So, congrats. You’re part of the problem.

32. Why not just designate a restroom or a few in all public/government buildings as Unisex? It’s really not a big issue if you stop making it one and use simple problem solving. You can stomp feet, write all the Bruce Jenner tweets you want, but it does nothing to get angry about stupid stuff. Just work with others in trying to make sure everyone has a little less dumb stuff to worry about each day.

33. “This is truly pathetic and shows how stupid and weak society has become. Open your legs and what ever is staring back at you should be a clear indication of where you belong. If you’re to scared to use the men’s room for fear of humiliation then hold it tell you get home.”

Couldn’t agree more.

34. To the fear factor people…

Your fear is just that. It’s your fear. Which means it’s your fear to overcome. It’s not the United States of Americas duty to pass laws to help you overcome your own personal fears. If you fear for your families safety in a public restroom then take it upon yourselves as a father/husband to teach them any legal safety measure you can find. That would probably be more useful to them than ranting on a football site or waiting for politicians to protect them with “laws” which are typically only followed by non criminals anyway. I don’t think rapist stop to consider the legalities of their actions.

35. So nationally the trans population is 0.6% and in Texas 0.66%. Just curious how many NFL fans fall within this percentage?

Source – Five years ago, the University of California-Los Angeles law school’s Williams Institute, which conducts research on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy, announced that there were approximately 700,000 Americans identifying as transgender.

36. —But really, how long till a creep dressed as a women goes into the womens restroom and rapes a little girl. Wait its coming.”—

Functionally, there is nothing in NC’s HB2 or the Texas bill to prevent this from happening. No one is checking birth certificates at the door. Ironically enough, HB2 included exactly zero enforcement mechanisms.

Unfortunately this could happen in any state, any time. Vigilance is the answer – same as ever.

37. Yeah.. I totally want a bearded man in a sundress going to the bathroom with my wife and 6 year old daughter. Call me whatever you want.. it isn’t right.. especially when there are little girls in the bathroom.

38. It’s bizarre that this is even a real issue. I’m pretty sure transsexuals, etc were using whichever bathroom they wanted to before with no problems… I certainly never cared who was in the next stall.

Why start this unnecessary social crusade now?

39. justwinbaby29 says:
    Feb 10, 2017 2:29 PM

————————————–

Exactly creating these laws is manufactured outrage.

40. hugeredskinsfan says:
    Feb 10, 2017 3:04 PM

I actually care a little bit about this one. I have a daughter/wife.

Too much grey area here.

————————————————
    A law isn’t going to stop a sick F from doing what they want. Women have been assaulted in bathrooms by “straight” men before this ever became a topic.

41. In the GOP, we want local, community authority on abortion, guns, tobacco, etc because community rules lead to more freedom.

But cities shouldn’t go around granting liberty to people the state government finds icky.

42. klutch14u says:
    Feb 10, 2017 3:21 PM

_______

Already happening.

The NYT ran an op-ed calling pedophilia a disorder not a crime.

43. pancaketaco says:

So nationally the trans population is 0.6% and in Texas 0.66%.
    ****************************

This.

44. It’s an early candidate for post of the year right here:

Kingmj4891 says:
    Feb 10, 2017 3:11 PM
    WTF – If you have a schlong go to the mens room, if you have a woohoo go to the womens room. It is not rocket science people.

23 1

45. murphyslaw40 says:
    Feb 10, 2017 4:20 PM

pancaketaco says:

So nationally the trans population is 0.6% and in Texas 0.66%.
    ****************************

This.

———————————–

Who is requiring additional bathrooms?

46. ignorant tough guys inventing bizarre imaginary crimes to justify their bigotry.

just another version of the south’s hysteria; who were frightened that ‘their women’ were unsafe around african americans…and had to, of course, resort to lynching to ‘protect’ them.

absolutely disgusting, frightened, ignorant bigots parading their stupidity and venality.

47. Apparently the NFL’s inclusiveness statement doesn’t care about the very large segment of the population – much higher than .66% – who is made uncomfortable by their statement.

48. Whatever happened to, “Don’t ask, don’t tell”. Maybe we should add,”don’t look” and just be done with it.
    And how does this work anyway? Are there women, dressed as men going into men’s bathrooms, women dressed as women in men’s bathrooms or women dressed as men going in women’s bathroom? And why does it matter? Since when has going into a public toilet been viewed as an opportunity to meet people and discuss social mores? Do your business, keep your eyes to yourself and get out, regardless of who or what is in there.

49. —Full-blooded American Indians are 0.7% of Texas’ population. Don’t see them demanding laws requiring hotels to provide tee-pees out front.—

Because…genocide.

50. I don’t care where someone uses the restroom if the look the part. No one notices and it happens all the time.

where the problems start is when a transgender woman (a man) or man (a woman)has to be allowed to use women’s locker rooms and shower areas. There have already been problems. A few, but there were victims where there should not have been victims.

Use whatever bathroom you like. pretend you are a different sex, a tree or a rainbow. I don’t care. Just stop using women’s (when you are a man) or men’s (when you are a woman) shower and locker areas and complain when you are denied.

51. It is sad that states even need these bathroom laws just to keep people safe.

What the PC indoctrinated sheeple don’t understand is that these laws aren’t about keeping the trans actress from Orange is the New Black from using the women’s room.

It’s about keeping the sweaty 300 lb bearded sex offender from being able to use the same bathroom, locker room, or shower as a 16 year old girl at Plamet Fitness just because the guys says he feels like a woman.

The only thing most of these laws look to do is make sure that the sweaty pervert can’t go wherever he likes. And somehow the sheeple ignore this.

52. “The NCAA also pulled seven championships out of North Carolina after their bill which limited the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender residents.”

What about my rights to feel safe letting my daughters go into the women’s room alone? Should I start escorting them in?

53. You know, this really was never an issue until the right decided to start pressing it. Prior to all these attempts to legislate bathroom use transgender persons were using the restroom they felt most comfortable in, and no one was any the wiser.

Can we just get back to focusing on important issues instead of figuring out how to do junk inspections in public restrooms?

54. I prefer my Crush to be Orange says:
    Feb 10, 2017 4:18 PM
    klutch14u says:
    Feb 10, 2017 3:21 PM

_______

Already happening.

The NYT ran an op-ed calling pedophilia a disorder not a crime.

————–

Because it is a disorder. Pedophilia, in and of itself, is not criminal. It’s the acting on it that is criminal.

55. A new grocery store opened a year ago in my neighborhood. They tried to be progressive and have two restrooms for single use with neither marked as “men” or “women”. That way the politics could be avoided.

Of course the problem with this plan is that men or pigs so soon both restroom were covered in urine and filth and the women complained until they designated a separate restrooms marked for each gender. But in 2017 we have more than two genders so this only works 99.999999% of the time.