Brian Robison takes 2017 pay cut, adds year to contract

Getty Images

Vikings defensive end Brian Robison has agreed to an extension through the 2018 season that comes with a pay cut for this season.

Field Yates of ESPN.com reports that the veteran will cut his base salary from $5.3 million to a fully-guaranteed $3.9 million for the coming year while also giving up $300,000 in workout and per-game roster bonuses. He will have those bonuses in his contract for the 2018 season along with a $3.2 million base salary that includes $1.25 million in guaranteed money.

Robison is heading into his 11th season with the Vikings and has started all but one of the regular season games the team has played over the last six seasons. He had 7.5 sacks and three forced fumbles last season, but saw Danielle Hunter, who finished the year with 12.5 sacks, eat into his playing time as the year progressed.

With linebacker Chad Greenway retiring and running back Adrian Peterson released, Robison has now spent more time with the Vikings than any other player on the current roster.

33 responses to “Brian Robison takes 2017 pay cut, adds year to contract

1. Glad to keep you around, love having a guy like this on our roster. SKOL

Disclaimer: I am not predicting a sb or any sort of success based on this re-signing. If you assume I am claiming the vikings as offseason champions it shows how much of troll you are. I am glad to keep this guy on my favorite teams roster.

2. Has anyone else taken note when a skoltroll claims that not all players deserve to “wear the purple?” Well please keep up those same deserving standards. Obviously they’ve served you well in your 56 years of failure!!

SKOLOLOL!!!

3. dawoger says:
    Mar 24, 2017 10:48 AM
    Has anyone else taken note when a skoltroll claims that not all players deserve to “wear the purple?” Well please keep up those same deserving standards. Obviously they’ve served you well in your 56 years of failure!!******

I know. Isn’t so annoying when somebody trolls an article just to rile up the fan base of of another team? I’m glad you’re above that

4. I can’t imagine a worse combination; taking a pay cut to remain with the Vikings. Usually, the Vikings need to pay a premium to wear Purple but maybe Robison is looking at the bright side, he’ll have the months of January and February off.

5. Now that he’ll be starting his 11th season, I wonder if announcers and radio hosts will start pronouncing his name correctly?

6. When Minnesota sends it people to the PFT comments, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people

7. “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people
    _____________________________________

If you’re a Packers fan, you can cut the irony of this statement with a knife.

8. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 10:43 AM
    Little erin just wet herself with the news
    ///////////////////////////

Who, arianus?

9. ariani1985 says:
    Little erin just wet herself with the news!

———————

“Danielle” Hunter.
    “Erin” Henderson.

Viking fans are as familiar with irony as they are with winning a world championship.

10. I actually thought there was a small chance he would get cut, based upon Hunter’s productivity. But, Zim does like to rotate these guys and keep them fresh. It’s a good move for Robison and for the Vikings.

11. uncommon1, you’re the biggest idiot on here if you think your pitiful but amusing scolding of me will persuade me to stop picking on you little lavender snowflakes. I just have to much fun getting you riled up!

SKOLOLOL!!!

12. Nice move by Vikings, he still has some gas in the tank, but will see a reduced role as Hunter has to be the starter now with his 12.5 sacks in part time duty last year. Robison is a tremendous locker room guy and a team asset. He can also still dominate at times so long as he isn’t playing full-time.

13. Glad to see he will be sticking around for another year.

I expect Hunter to take the majority of snaps in ’17, but Zimmer likes to keep the DL fresh via rotation. Keeping Robison as the top DE backup is a smart move.

14. filthymcnasty3 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 2:39 PM
    I thought he retired 3 years ago. So he’s been stealing from the Vikings too?

*****

Nah. 7.5 sacks and 18 tackles last season. Better than Peppers but without the HGH allegations.

15. I admire any player that is able to recognize his limitations, can still contribute, and the team needs him. Reminds me of AJ Hawk. He did the same thing and had very good years. He was never the high-pick game-changer we expected, but he was solid and took less pay when he knew the numbers. This guy appears to be doing the same thing. Nothing wrong with that.

16. filthymcnasty3 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 2:39 PM
    I thought he retired 3 years ago. So he’s been stealing from the Vikings too?

—————————————

Considering Robison split time with Hunter, and yet outplayed any other DL player in GB last year, we have further proof of the lack of your football acumen.

He’s most likely going to be Hunter’s backup in 2017. I have a feeling, he’ll still be outplaying most if not all the DL players in GB.

17. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 24, 2017 10:43 AM
    Little erin just wet herself with the news!
    ___________________

Yeah, cause ARod is worred about an 11 year player of little consequence that had to take a pay cut to stay with the team.

18. This is not a charity case, Danielle Hunter has earned the starting DE position and the solid play of B Rob has earned him a spot in the rotation of all of the d line positions,remember B Rob can also play inside.