DeShone Kizer: It was a comment I made and I stand by it

Getty Images

Former Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer initially said he was taken out of context when he was quoted comparing himself to Tom Brady and Cam Newton, but Kizer now says he stands by what he said.

Kizer was asked about the comments on NBCSN during Notre Dame’s spring game, and he confirmed that those comments were an accurate representation of how he views himself.

“When you decide to play a game like this you’re going to try to model yourself after the greatest. It was a comment I made and I’m going to stand by it,” Kizer said.

“Why play this game if you don’t want to be the greatest?” Kizer said.

Kizer is hoping to hear his name called on Thursday night in the first round of the NFL draft, although his stock has seemed to slip a bit in the pre-draft process, and he may have to wait until the second or third round to hear his name called.

62 responses to “DeShone Kizer: It was a comment I made and I stand by it

1. Brady dives for loose balls in the middle of the season against the Jets, Newton stares at the ball on the ground in the Super Bowl. Brady and Newton should never ever be placed in the same sentence when speaking about being great.

2. Be seen and not heard, son. Not one time in his career has Tom Brady referenced himself when talking about the team. They try to bait him into saying “I” and he simply won’t do it. Cam Newton is a physically gifted quarterback. If you truly want to emulate them, do your work, embrace the team concept and shut your pie hole.

3. The full context of this quote was:”It was a comment I made and I stand by it … unless someone makes fun of me again and I take it back again … but then someone might call me a coward again in which case I will stand by it again …. either way my go to alibi will ALWAYS be that it was taken out of context. That is the kind of leader I am”

4. Kizer was a 58% passer very vanilla college defenses.
    My advice….don’t insert your name in any sentence that includes Tom Brady.
    If things don’t work out at QB…..don’t be afraid to give TE a shot.

5. Great news. Not only are you prone to making bone-headed mistakes, but you’ve now demonstrated an inability to learn from them. Brilliant.

6. chuckshontaspads says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:17 PM
    ————————————–
    There was no way Cam would’ve gotten that fumble. No chance at all.

7. Fun fact – there has never been any NFL QB drafted in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round that has been as successful as Tom Brady.

8. Brady and Newton? That’s like a baseball player saying he wants to be as good as Derek Jeter and Yasiel Puig.

9. I’m a combination of Albert Einstein and Bo Jackson, with a little Bill Gates sprinkled in. I kind of look like Paul Newman and sing like Elvis.

10. “Fun fact – there has never been any NFL QB drafted in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round that has been as successful as Tom Brady.”

True. Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round.

11. Joe Mixon think’s he’s a great guy, and now this. Pretty soon people have to acknowledge that the public school system is failing.
    At least the youngins all feel good about themselves. I guess that is what matters most. SMH

12. NFL Teams probably should pass on this guy. If you’re calling Cam Newton “great”, then you clearly have some serious issues that will prevent you from EVER being great yourself.

13. So he wants to be the League’s most accurate passer, and its least accurate at the same time. The boy strives for average. I’m behind you 50%!

14. There’s a difference between having confidence in yourself and sounding like a braggart. In either case, it’s just not smart to make comments about yourself like this before you’ve even been drafted.
    Notre Dame grads used to be a step above in intelligence. I guess that isn’t the case anymore.
    It’ll get more interesting if this kid sits and waits to be drafted and he keeps getting passed by.

15. chuckshontaspads says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:17 PM

———–

Stared at it? He ran away from it like it was an angry hornets nest

16. It wasn’t the brightest comment I’ve ever heard but I will give him credit for standing behind it.. That said, he’s going to have a bit of an awakening facing 11 grown men out there..

17. What’s wrong with you people? The kid believes in himself and has goals. Why is the internet so negative? I for one wish him success, In fact I hope all these kids are successful.

I guess I’m not jealous of them like most of you commenters. Good luck Mr. Kinzer and keep believing in yourself! Apparently none of these couch scouts will.

18. “Kizer said he doesn’t see any reason he shouldn’t aim to be the kind of quarterback Brady and Newton are.”

He didn’t say he was aiming to be like them, he said he was *already* like them.

19. djvh2 says:
    Apr 22, 2017 5:07 PM

True. Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round.
    ———————

20. Umm ok buddy whatever you say.. maybe we all should use this blueprint in our everyday life and or job interviews. I have the business mind of Mark Cuban and the body of the Rock. Yea ! I’m liking this already. Thanks DeShone!!

21. Kizer gets drafted with the 3rd pick to the Bears. QB Glennon got a great contract, but had been I sitting 2 years behind Winston after loosing the starting job.

So the start move for the Bears is drafta QB early, because that’s just aren’t a lot of QB’s in this year’s draft or next.

Then you need to take a look around the league at the number of QB’S that are aging out. Why do you think Belichick hasn’t traded Jimmy Grappolo. One reason he traded Grappolo then he paints a huge Target on Brady known Brisket is tbe backup.

Just remember GM’s and HC have to do everything they can to winwith best available. Sure QB’s will be reaching, but there are no other choices in FA.

Seriously when the Browns are offer 10 million for a team to Take Brock Oswaller.

IMO the draft starts with a run on QB’s 5 in the top 10. Browns are even at looking to trade up from the 12th pick.

Look at the teams needing QB’s Browns, 49ers, Jets, Bills, Bears. Jags had LT Branden Albert who decided to hold out for a new contract along with WR Allen Robinson. So now the Jags want to trade the 4th pick and I bet the Texans have already been ontbe phone wanting the 4 the pick.

Watch GM’s are not dumb they know who needs what and it’s no serect the Texans, Browns,49ers need a QB.

So I can seriously see the first 4 picks in this draft being QB’s Trubisky, Machine, Kizer, Watson. It would not surprise me to see the Steelers, Cards and Giants select QB’s either and those could be Webb, Kaaya and Dobbs. Panthers have even signed Eda QB in Garrett Gilbert and had worked out several.

So hold off on tbe comments about downing a QB, because he could very well end up on your team.

This is one time I can see Belichick making a couple so so decisions trading away the Patriots 1st and 2nd round picks. Trying to trade Malcolm utler and the Seahawks trying to trade Richard Sherman. The you have QB’s no one will sign either.

Love Mixon and Dede Westbrook along with Calvin Cook I think will fall further in the draft than fans think.

Even Jerry Jones of the Cowboys has backed away from character issue players.

22. Kizer is a big guy. But his coaches to date have not prepared him for reality. They have failed at this. Kiser is one of the worst QBs to play major college football. His passing style and technique is horrendous. While he can throw the ball better than say Tim Tebow, he’s half of Tebow with the ball in the pocket. He should look at Terrelle Pryor, and work on his speed and route running. Just because you are good with the ball it doesn’t mean you can be an NFL QB. If I was drafting, I would pass until the 7th round. Sorry for the truth.

23. I wouldn’t read much of anything into this. He’s a young man probably repeating something a coach or his agent told him for encouragement.

24. Top QB generally don’t get involved in to much chat. Leave that Recevers, linebackers and corners. But we do have to be careful, we all know how the media love to spin things to make a story so they can justify their salary.

25. And then he woke up from that dream that had him standing on the podium excepting the Super Bowl trophy for the 5th time and MVP for the 3rd time. What a dope.

26. That was way back when there were so few teams they had 20 rounds, today that would be 5th round. Secondly, Brady wasn’t picked in the 6th round but was a compensatory pick AFTER the 6th round. Thirdly, Starr was one of the greats but doesn’t beat Brady.
    —————————————————
    Child Please!! You silly little CHOWD millennials/gen xers know nothing. Bart Starr won 5 NFL championships including the first 2 super bowls in 7 years. Starr also still holds the QB playoff passer rating of 104.8.

27. Just a Fan says:
    Apr 22, 2017 7:19 PM

—————–

Nothing wrong with being confident, having no reverence for how hard it is to be an NFL QB is a bad look for a draft pick.

28. He was talking about how great he can become, not how good he thinks he is right now. I didn’t see a problem with his comments. There’s also the added context of him being a kid. Kids say over the top hyperbole all the time. No big deal unless you’re a sports writer.

29. If I were an NFL player and they ask how good I am or am I elite QB I would say this: “I rather not say how good I am, watch me and you decide”

30. (the following statement is for men here who have work history and are teaching kids to be men. Just copy and paste the following in a text message to your sons or even better in a face to face)

My hats off to you kid for growing up before our eyes. Keep learning, maturing, and developing personally as well as professionally it sometimes requires mistakes to happen before we grow in leaps and bounds!

31. I like him even more for standing by his words. How many times does someone say what they mean only to back track after bad press?

Good for him.

32. whatjusthapped says:
    Apr 22, 2017 5:40 PM
    He is so delusional he belongs on the Vikings, you know, the team that is going to win the Superbowl next February, or so their fans are telling us.
    —————————————————-
    No Vikings fan has claimed that they will win the Super Bowl this February.

The only supreme delusional fan base are the packers.
    You make fake quotes to promote fake lies.
    Then, they claim preseason competition awards and brag about more preseason Super Bowl predictions.

The almighty cabbage bragged about how the packers compete every year.

33. pftpoettwo says:
    Apr 22, 2017 2:48 PM
    ————————
    You, sir, win the comments. That’s gold, Jerry. Gold!