Former 49ers third-round pick Glen Coffee comes out of retirement

Getty Images

Glen Coffee, a running back who retired from the 49ers after just one year in the NFL, is trying to make a comeback.

Coffee, the 49ers’ third-round draft pick in 2009, has filed the necessary paperwork to get back in the league. The 49ers placed him on waivers, meaning a team that wants to give him a look can claim him now. If no one claims him he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The 29-year-old Coffee initially said after retiring that he would go into the ministry, then enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2013 and served for four years.

Now he’s hoping for another chance. He’s a long shot, given how long he’s been away, but a player with the talent to be a third-round pick ought to at least get a tryout from some team. Coffee may be in training camp this year after a seven-year absence.

60 responses to “Former 49ers third-round pick Glen Coffee comes out of retirement

1. The guy walked away from football to serve his country. I’d hope that more than one team would be willing to bring the guy to camp and see what he has left in his legs.

2. Good player. Some team will take a flier on him for league minimum and it might pay off.

3. Isn’t this interesting!!!

One would think that after retiring a former player would find a job in the field in which he majored while in college.

Hard to interrupt a career and then go back to the NFL.

4. Hard to forget that name. I knew he’d eventually try to get back in, but I have a feeling that Coffee is in for a rude awakening. The NFL probably isn’t his cup of tea.

5. He left my niners to be a minister then went to the army. As a fellow vet I wish he got a quarter of the attention as pat Tillman did when he left the NFL for the military. we know why

6. Football, ministry, army, football… dude is the definition of “trying to find yourself.” Well, the odds are against him, but you never know. Good luck.

7. I have no problems with where he went after football, but as a team you have to question his dedication to the game now that he is trying to get back in. He did not just decide he wanted to try new things. He admitted that he never really liked football and was just doing it in high school because his friends were, he did it in college because it paid for his schooling, and he turned pro for the paycheck. His words, not mine. I admire his time in the military but the thought that he would take the spot of another player that put his body, mind, and soul into becoming a NFL players just does not make sense.

8. I was in the stands watching him play behind Frank Gore. Good player and he had a lot of potential! So much so, that we were surprised when he backed out of the NFL to go into the military. Certainly wish him The best!

I agree with what was said above, I guess the Coffee break IS over…

9. The army was probably a great place to remember how good he had it in the NFL. Odds are against him, but I guess he needed to grow up a bit before he could commit to a career in the NFL.

Assuming he doesn’t make it (very strong possibility) hopefully he had an MOS that translates to some sort of civilian career. If not, there’s always the GI Bill.

10. I would bring him in for a look-see just based on his having served our country. Then, if his talent allowed, into training camp. Even if he was likely only ever going to be on scouting team, I would want to carry him a season to see what developed and to expose him to the NFL.

Signing him to a futures contract, just like the multitudes of players that will sign, after being passed up this next week’s draft seems very likely.

11. riderspantherssk says:
    Apr 22, 2017 12:55 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That is not what happened. The guy was mental. He did some training camp and then quit before preseason games. It was later characterized as a retirement and that God wanted him to do something else. He wanted to go back to school and finish his degree, then changed his mind and said he was going to do something in a religious capacity. He finally joined the army and is now looking for a new job. He said he never loved football so I suspect this is just another attempt at getting a very good paycheck. Good luck to whatever team thinks he is worth a roster spot. I commend him for his service but I doubt football is for him…even if he somehow makes a squad.

12. Some people make a big flowery show on their knees, others put on their boots and work hard in anonymity to make a difference.

I know who I’d rather have on my team.

13. Have to agree with Matt West – the ministry and the army would make the NFL look attractive to me also.

14. Mike Singletary’s camp was so physical and tough that Coffee preferred the army instead.

Not everybody is built to be a 49er. Heavy is the head that wears that 49ers/Kings of California crown,

15. How can you not root for this guy? Too many Kaepernick’s in the league not enough Coffee’s.

16. Good Luck and Thank You for serving….P.S. Denver needs some help maybe they should give you a shot

17. sumkat says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:07 PM
    Should of changed his name to Coffee Black first

_____________________________________

“Should of” …….??? It’s “should have”…….

18. ctiggs says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:32 PM

____________________________________
    I will say what you were afraid to, and given the climate that the hate criminal Trump has fostered, I don’t blame you. It is because of the color of his skin and because he didn’t die in combat. Look at how Trump disparaged John McCain for getting caught. Trump has no respect for minority soldiers and frankly should be arrested and tried at The Hague for hate crimes and his recent war crimes in Syria.

19. iggydog says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:32 PM

_______________________________________

I don’t know anyone who isn’t trying to find themselves. People spend their whole lives trying to do that and often change their minds, just as he did.
    At least this guy didn’t leave the NFL because he was a drug user or beat his woman or child.
    I hope he gets signed by someone and will root for him to have a good career in the NFL no matter who it is that signs him. Even if it’s the pukey Vikings.

20. It is the right move to waive him. You never can predict what he may do next, including retiring yet again. Don’t waste a roster spot on him.

21. ctiggs says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:32 PM

——-

Yep, because he lived.

22. I remember this guy. He screwed me in a keeper league. But good for him, serving a hitch.

23. stillabengalsfan says:
    Apr 22, 2017 9:54 PM
    ctiggs says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:32 PM

——-

Yep, because he lived.
    ====

There’s a lot more differences than that. Tillman walked away from a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract extension specifically to join the army and fight for his country. He became a Ranger and was deployed twice, winning a Purple Heart, a Silver Star and the Combat Infantry Badge before dying in combat.

Coffee quit football because he no longer enjoyed football. In fact, he has said he hated football and only turned pro early because the thought if was getting paid he would be able to “tolerate it”. He walked away after one terrible season. He never became a minister and only joined the army years later. While he went to parachute school, he turned down an opportunity to become a Ranger and was never deployed in a combat unit.

If you think the only difference in those two stories is that one was white and one was black, I don’t know what to tell you.

24. Good luck to you Mr. Coffee, you deserve another shot. Hope you stick somewhere…..thanks for your service

25. Lots of judgemental hateful comments towards this guy. Calling him “mental” because he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do in his early 20’s? I guess I’ve known lots of mentally ill folks. Also, to judge this guy for not deploying is dumb and something you would only say If you’ve never served. Everyone who swears into the Army or Marines knows that they could and likely will be deployed during war time. He can’t force his unit to go. They were probably between deployments. What an age we live in where some virtually unknown football player gets roasted for serving his country.

26. How could anyone bad mouth this man, a Vet who wanted to serve his country, & put other aspirations on hold.
    I wish him the best.

27. God bless Glen Coffee and.Pat Tillman who put Their beliefs before Football. God bless you both and I was in Kuwait when you paid the ultimate price Mr. Tillman…..Good bless you and.your family.

28. The Las Vegas Raiders reportedly are balking at giving the Beast Mold more than $3 million because he is over 30. The Beast Mold wants $4.5 million. The likelihood that a 29 year old running back who has been out of football for 6 years can find a team to sign him is slim. Nevertheless, if he even makes league minimum it would still be more than 10 times as much as he would make flipping hamburgers full time.

29. @PFT loves the steelers:

I assume the deployment comment was in response to mine. I thought the intent of my post was pretty clear. I guess not.

I was answering a question about why one player’s story got so much more press attention than the other by attempting to point out the differences in the details which would tend to gain one player a little more attention than the other.

The original commenter was trying to blame it on racism, I was saying it was something else. Are you saying you believe Pat Tillman got more press than Glen Coffey because of race?

PS- if you were in the military, you would know that the notion every unit in the service has an equal chance of being deployed in a war zone is ludicrous.

30. briang123 says:
    Apr 22, 2017 6:13 PM
    ctiggs says:
    Apr 22, 2017 1:32 PM

____________________________________

Hmmmm. Last time I checked McCain is as white as binder paper and as a football article on a football website this has nothing to do with Trump.

31. Dear angry commentators, need a hug?

You all are always so uppity, I swear. I’m not reading football comments I’m reading hate and stupidity.

Fix your lives, gentlemen. Life is too short to be this angry all the time.

This is an off-season piece because nothing else is going on. Its a marshmallow, and you’re having fits over a marshmallow.

32. PFT loves the Steelers says:
    Apr 23, 2017 12:03 AM
    ~~~~~~~~
    He had a bad play in practice and the the coach was angry. Then, he had some sort of breakdown and went missing for a few days without telling anyone (missing practices and meetings, etc.) and then said he was giving up on his football dream and was “retiring” at age 22-23 so he could do what God wants and go back to school…and then didn’t. Hence: “mental”.

33. He didn’t walk away to serve his country. He seemed to have a lot of issues at the time. With that said, I’d like to see him get a shot. Seems like he’s got it together now.

34. lukedunphysscienceproject says:
    Apr 23, 2017 11:16 AM
    @PFT loves the steelers:

______________

I understood your intent. Yes, racism is a word thrown around way too much these days, but I don’t think Coffee should be honored any less than Tillman. Tbh, Tillman was the victim of a unfortunate accident (at best), but his service was no more honorable than Coffee’s. That’s where we disagree.

Yes I did serve, and almost every MOS gets deployed. Not everyone is infantry, but 90% of what the Army does isn’t just invading and killing. You have all types of support units over there. I was a 92 Yankee (Unit Supply) for an MP unit and my unit was deployed twice in a 5 year span.

Fwiw…I just looked it up and Coffee was Infantry. So what I said was true. His unit was likely between deployments.
    —————

FinFan68 says:

_________________

Sounds like he couldn’t hack it/wasn’t interested and he believes in God. Deciding to do something different with your life doesn’t make you mental. Nor does belief in God.

35. PFT loves the Steelers says:
    Apr 23, 2017 4:49 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even close to my point. He had a possible mental breakdown (what I meant by “mental”), quit, used an excuse of God wanted him to go back to school as the reason for quitting, and then promptly ignored what God supposedly told him and didn’t go back to school. My original post was in response to someone who said he quit football to join the military. My point is that the kid had issues, quit and then a couple years later entered the military…could have been for patriotic reasons, a need to serve or simply a steady paycheck. It doesn’t really matter. The kid was not reliable back then and might not be now…but completing his full tour indicates that may have changed.

36. tbone4444 says:
    Apr 22, 2017 10:16 PM
    Was this before or after the Hawks started whipping the 49ers ass every year…It’s been so long, I forgot….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes this happened before 2012.

37. Sounds to me that after having marched in the rain in full gear and cleaning latrines that Coffee has seen the error of his ways ?? Hope he makes a team. Good luck.

38. tigershark0052 says:
    Apr 23, 2017 11:34 AM
    @ctiggs so you’re a racist?

——————————————————————-

Never i despise them, i’m for all people