One executive thinks Joe Mixon is the best player in the draft

Getty Images

Most personnel executives think Texas A&M pass rusher Myles Garrett is the best player in the draft. But that’s not a unanimous opinion, and one executive thinks the best player in the draft is a player who probably won’t even go in the first round: Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon.

Mixon will probably be a second-day pick because he was caught on tape punching a woman in 2014. But Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel asked 16 personnel executives to name the best player in the draft regardless of position, and one of them said it was Mixon.

Garrett was chosen by 11 of the 16 executives, while two named LSU safety Jamal Adams and one each named Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster, Stanford defensive lineman Solomon Thomas and Mixon.

Foster might not go in the first round, either, after a terrible Scouting Combine that saw him sent home early for an altercation with a health-care worker at the hospital, followed by a drug test in which he turned in a diluted urine sample, which the NFL considers to be the same as a positive test.

So teams that are willing to take character risks could strike gold in the draft by taking Foster or Mixon, players whose off-field incidents will result in them being available far later than they otherwise would be.

59 responses to “One executive thinks Joe Mixon is the best player in the draft

1. ” 16 personnel executives”….. i’m not really impressed with that title. Mike Brown, Matt Millen, Jerry Jones and Bruce Allen are people who have held that title.

2. Is being selected in the 2nd or 3rd round supposed to be a punishment for his misdeeds? With the collective bargaining agreement he’s on a rookie wage scale at any rate, so the monetary difference isn’t all that great. If you find what he did to be abhorrent, don’t draft him… in any round. On the other hand, if you can find peace with hiring someone with his past and he’s a first-round talent, draft him in the first round. Stop the posing.

Personally, I think the guy’s a punk. I wouldn’t want him on my team, in the 1st round or the 7th or as a UFA. But if I could live with having a person with this kind of character on my team, and I considered him the best talent in the draft, and he fell to me (at say, the 24th pick), I would definitely select him.

I just hate all the hypocrisy!

3. This completely proves the long-believed theorem that “One out of every 16 personnel executives is an idiot.”

4. “Mixon will probably be a second-day pick because he was caught on tape punching a woman in 2014.”

You know, minor thing like that.

And I’m all for second chances but not punching a woman in the face shouldn’t be something you need a second chance for. This isn’t the same as smoking weed in college, getting drunk or just being a knucklehead and saying something stupid.

This one’s pretty cut and dry

5. Sadly, where these guys wind up will determine the moral positions people have over their pasts. Someone who has been sayimg they think Mixon should given a chance to go forward from his mistake will condemn him if he gets picked up by a team he hates. Likewise someone that has not wanted Mixon in football, if he gets grabbed by their favorite team, might not decide they are ok with what he did, but will suddenly say they think he should at least be given a chance. Just how it rolls.

6. If I had a board Mixon would be off it, don’t want the screaming from every direction that would come with him. Foster I might take, but not in round 1.

7. This executive could only be Reggie McKenzie of the Raiders who thinks Mixon is “really a great guy.” McKenzie likewise prolly thinks Henandez was a super cool dude.

8. There’s a reason it’s called the lying season. Teams tout players that don’t want all the time in the hope that other teams will pick them and push down another player they really want.

9. I don’t know if he’s the best player, but he’s up there. Mixon and the women from the incident have apologized for hitting each other, and they’re moving on. If you talk to all the coaches of all the players coming out this year, there are plenty of coaches that won’t vouch for a lot of the players. Everyone vouches for Mixon. I’ve never punched a woman, and I’ve never seen a woman slap a man like that, and I’ve been around a while. It was just a freak incident. Everyone involved is remorseful, and they’re moving on with their lives. It’s a good headline grabber though.

10. The executive said he was the best player, he didn’t say he was going to draft him. Is it now forbidden to say what you think in America, O self-righteous chorus?

11. foster and mixon both go in first round. mixon could be 2nd RB taken behind fournette. teams that need a RB, and think they can wait til 2nd rd, or maybe even 3rd rd, to grab mixon, will be sorely mistaken.

12. The very mention of Mixon as a draft choice in ANY round of the NFL draft turns me cold. I’ve been a fan of professional football for over 50 years. I believe allowing individuals such as Mixon the privilege of playing in the NFL is a travesty. The video that shows his actions against a woman convinces me that this individual should never be allowed to participate in this sport. To do so cheapens the sport, and further enforces the thought by many that somehow professional football players are exempt from the rules of civility.

13. yoursoulcollector says:
    Apr 24, 2017 7:20 AM
    ********************************************
    This just in, GM’s say things before a draft to throw other GM’s off.

Also, the Raiders do NOT sign players who hit women.

14. joetoronto says:
    Apr 24, 2017 8:02 AM
    yoursoulcollector says:
    Apr 24, 2017 7:20 AM
    ********************************************
    This just in, GM’s say things before a draft to throw other GM’s off.

Also, the Raiders do NOT sign players who hit women.

Reggie has cleaned house, can’t believe he’d bring this guy in

15. Must be the GM from Cleveland, they have a great track record.

Ray Rice must be upset that a girl beater can be drafted and he was booted from the NFL.

My how times change.

16. jerseyraider says:
    Apr 24, 2017 6:05 AM

____________________________________

I think if GM’s knew for 100% fact that he would never get in any kind of trouble again, they would select him in the first round if they believe he is first round talent.

The risk comes in with the fact that these types of people tend to continue to have these troubles. So the risk is wasting a first round pick on a guy that gets suspended or kicked out of the NFL. But the risk is less when talking about a lower round pick. It may be worth the chance to some GM to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on him. So it is more than just “finding peace with what he did”. It’s will he do it again.

17. So Ray Rice can’t find work, Greg Hardy can’t find work, yet we’re lining up for Mixon? He chased that lady and her friend into a restaurant to continue to hurl gay slurs at her friend and she had had ENOUGH, then gets her jaw broken and face rearranged for defending her friend from his barrage of insults and taunts. Mixon is a full-on abuser of human rights.

18. I despise what Mixon did, but let’s not forget what happened with Peyton Manning. What he did to the personal trainer is considered Sexual Assault in Tennessee. He obviously wasn’t chatged, but after the fact he grew up, acted like an adult and became one of the faces of the NFL. I don’t want Mixon on my team, but people can change.

19. “The very mention of Mixon as a draft choice in ANY round of the NFL draft turns me cold. I’ve been a fan of professional football for over 50 years. I believe allowing individuals such as Mixon the privilege of playing in the NFL is a travesty. The video that shows his actions against a woman convinces me that this individual should never be allowed to participate in this sport. To do so cheapens the sport, and further enforces the thought by many that somehow professional football players are exempt from the rules of civility.”

_____________________________________

The “rules of civility” are that we live in a country in which we are innocent until proven guilty. We are judged by a jury of our peers and accept the outcome of trial and litigation. Apparently the “rules of civility” in your mind mean that we are judged based on what some moron on a message board thinks. Grow up dude. The NFL is not some moral compass of greatness that we should strive for. It’s a business that has made a killing by receiving a legalized monopoly from the US congress and bullies cities into forking over 100s of millions of taxpayer dollars to build stadiums for it’s games. What world do you live in where the NFL has any integrity? Wow!

20. ” 16 personnel executives”….. i’m not really impressed with that title. Mike Brown, Matt Millen, Jerry Jones and Bruce Allen are people who have held that title.
    ————————–
    What title would someone have to hold to impress you?

21. tonebones says:
    Apr 24, 2017 7:34 AM

——————————————–

I’ve never punched a woman, I’ve never punched a woman, and I’ve never seen a woman slap a man like that, and I’ve been around a while. It was just a freak incident.

————————————————–
    I’ve never seen a woman slap a man like that, It was just a freak incident.

————————————————

You for real with those 2 statements?

22. After Manning assaulted that woman, yeah, he “grew up”, he grew his forehead to be Frankensteinian. But it was his wife’s HGH. You’d have to ask her what she was using it for.

23. noknoknokpenny says:
    Apr 24, 2017 6:15 AM

WRT Foster, it’s not just about “character risk.”

Steroid-using college linebackers have a way of flaming out in the pros.

——————————————————————–

(((Brian Bosworth nodding)))

24. Does anyone believe in equality for women? She initiated combat and struck him (in the face) first.
    I grew up with sisters and a single Mom. I personally would never hit a girl, but that is my preference and/or choice (and most other peoples’ too). The practice of making rules by the majority preferences rather than equality is a slippery slope and is against fairness. Imagine it was the same exact situation but it was a 120 lb black man that struck Mixon rather than a 120 lb white woman?….would you feel the same? They both should have been punished if you believe in equality.

25. kenberthiaume says:
    Apr 24, 2017 9:38 AM
    —————

26. I think fans and the NFL BBQ DE Greg Hardy I’d they except Joe Mixon into the league and​ any team that drafts Mixon, Dede Westbrook and Dalvin Cook should be penalized and they would have to serve a 1 year suspension.

I don’t think it would be fair to the Panthers if this didn’t happen. It was the League who held Greg Hardy out and cost us 13 million to pay him.

Apples vs Apples.

27. “In Manning’s defense, his forehead was always huge and grotesque. It just become more prevalent as his hairline receded”

Look at his college pictures. It really wasn’t anything like it is now. It grew and grew and grew.

28. jerseyraider says:
    Apr 24, 2017 6:05 AM

Uh…no. The mean contract value for a 1st rounder is about $13 million. the mean contract value for a 2nd rounder is about $4 million, and for a 3rd rounder about $3 million. So yeah, it makes a huge difference whether you’re drafted in the 1st round or not.

29. Ah, yes, just like Bill Polian said he had a first round grade on Tom Brady………………after he won his 4th Super Bowl hahahaha! All these guys are full of it.

30. The two most arrested teams since 2000 are Vikings & Broncos, look for him to go to one of those teams.

31. Chiefs should take Mixon and pair him with Tyreek Hill who allegedly struck and strangled his pregnant girlfriend. The NFL adores Hill now.

32. To those saying that he doesn’t deserve another chance, how long is long enough for him to be shunned for? The rest of his life?

Should he just hang his head in shame the rest of his life and never do anything productive?

I’d argue that as a NFL player he’d have a bigger stage to right any wrongs he’s ever done than with any other job he’ll have in his life.

I’ll never condone what he did. But how long does he have to hang his head and say I’m sorry before he can move on to something else?

33. Vikings took some guy named Randy Moss who had suspect character. Vikings will happily take a guys who had one incident 3 years ago, paid his dues, settled with the “(innocent)victim” and has clearly moved on and matured. If that incident still bothers you, then little snowflake, don’t take him.

Welcome to MN, we’re happy to have you. We realize EVERYONE makes mistakes, and will allow you to move on from it.

34. It sure isn’t Brantley. It would nice if MN got him, even though he probably won’t be there. The RB class is deep enough though. Unless he has done something we don’t know about, he should be high in the 1st.