Brandin Cooks would like some clarity on bow and arrow celebration

AP

The NFL eased the rules on celebrations this week, but shooting a bow and arrow may still be forbidden.

Last year the NFL fined and flagged players who mimed shooting a bow and arrow, saying there’s no place for pretending to have a weapon on the field. This year’s relaxed celebration rules still don’t allow anything relating to weapons, so it appears the bow and arrow is still outlawed.

Patriots receiver Brandin Cooks, who along with Josh Norman was among the players who employed the bow and arrow in celebrations, would like some clarity on whether or not it’s allowed.

It’s for God, so if that’s threatening, then I think we’ve got a problem, but I’m going to be respectful,” Cooks said. “If it’s a penalty, it’s a penalty. I’m not going to do anything to hurt the team.”

The NFL has specifically carved out an exception to the penalty against going to the ground for players who are going to the ground in prayer, so if Cooks says his celebration is religious in nature, perhaps the NFL will make an exception for him as well.

Regardless, even with the newly relaxed rules, players aren’t clear on exactly where the lines are drawn. There will be fewer celebration penalties this year, but the controversy isn’t going away entirely.

92 responses to “Brandin Cooks would like some clarity on bow and arrow celebration

1. Good to see you already towing the Pat’s line Brandin, “if it’s a penalty, it’s a penalty. I’m not going to do anything to hurt the team.”

Loving it.

Though I’m not buying the it’s ‘for God’ take.

2. I’m sure Belichick will be most unhappy if Brandin Cooks gets an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
    Belichick will bench him.

3. Would it be a penalty to sacrifice a live lamb in the end zone after a touchdown? I mean, it would be for God.

4. Here is some clarity: most fans, sponsors, tv networks and the league don’t care about end zone celebrations.

5. If the patriot nerds on the sideline can shoot their guns, he should mime shooting a cannon.

6. Maybe he should come up with a new one, pretend you are putting a camera to your eye and roll your hand in a circular motion like you are filming. That would fit in with the cheating culture that is the NE Patriots.

7. as long as he’s in the end zone doing some kind of celebration at least twice a game patriots fans will be very happy..
    ———-
    “at least twice a game” a minimum of 32 TD’s? I’ll have some of what you are having.

8. One year later we should visit these boards after the Patriots fail to win a SB. Would love to see that smug face be ruined on a Pats homer. Suicide watch on high in NE.

9. Wryly1 says:
    May 26, 2017 8:11 AM
    ———————–
    The why not allow it? If everyone is really they apathetic, why shouldn’t cooks be allowed you celebrate?

10. I’m trying to imagine how shooting a bow & arrow can be “for God” & I got nothing. Haha. I mean I don’t care. But still…

11. superpatriotsfan says:
    May 26, 2017 9:17 AM

———————

Said every Patriots hater ever since 2002. The Patriots have failed to win a Super Bowl many times since 2001. They keep marching on anyway.

For Patriots fans, Brady now has 5 Super Bowls and the team are defending chance going for 3 in 4 years. This year is gravy. Have been enjoying every minute of this great offseason and will enjoy the season even more what ever the outcome.

12. Little known fact:

Jesus, Moses and Mohammed ended all of their speeches with the bow and arrow.

The more you know…..

(I have no problem with the bow and arrow)

13. It will be awesome watching the Patriots go nowhere this year. All good things come to an end. The downward spiral begins this year. Mediocrity will be the annoying norm for Patriot fans. Count on it.

14. superpatriotsfan says:
    May 26, 2017 9:17 AM

——–

Keep fighting the good fight little guy…..and just maybe your wish will come true.

15. Smart move Brandin!
    Your going to need to get some clarity because You, my friend, can expect cause to have clarity of end zone celebrations!

I Am So Proud!

16. I’m not a Pats fan – but honestly, is there anything more pathetic than people posting with such glee about waiting for the Patriots to fail? (and they’ve been waiting a long, long time now)

Worry about your own team, like I do mine. If your team takes care of business, what do the Pats matter?

17. The corporate NFL is full of drama.

What other professional sport dictates this sort of thing?

Ya think it has anything to do with Mr Narcissistic himself, the comish???

PS-youradarnfoo-they cannot erase your comment fast enough.

18. Von Miller is now claiming his pelvic thrust is for god as well, no word back on if the league is granting a special exemption for that either

19. nhpats says:
    May 26, 2017 9:42 AM
    ———————-
    Oh they do come true. I just hope I don’t find you on the ledge of a bridge because the Patriots didn’t make the playoffs.

20. I think if you are playing for Belichick you should not be looking for where the league’s line is on celebration rules. You just stay well the heck away from it. Assume that Belichick’s sense of humor about that stuff is far less than even the league’s has been.

21. concussion182 says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM

—————–

Definately count on it. I dont care if this same post has gone up for 15 years nor how many more years its going to take, if it keeps going up then eventually it will come true. Maybe even in our lifetimes so we get to see it.

22. Bill OReilly would have been all over this war on God if he hadn’t been fired for his own little war on human decency. Now there’s nobody left to fight all the wars against wars on stuff. It’s a bloody shame.

23. “The downward spiral begins this year”

Lol there will be no “downward spiral” as long as Belichick is coaching the team.

Maybe they only get to the AFCC instead of the Super Bowl and are one only one of the last 4 teams standing instead of the last 2. Maybe they even get knocked out in the divisional round but several things are for sure.

The Pats will win a lot of games this year, make the playoffs again, provide huge entertainment for their fans and lots of whining from people like you.

Its hilarious to watch you people with your broken clock philosophy that by posting comments like that every day for years eventually it might come true.

24. Oh yes my friend. There will be a downward spiral this year. Remember this post during the season when your team is losing. It’s gonna make you want to punch a wall. You’ll see. No foubt.

25. concussion182 says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM

even a broken clock is right twice a day. Kinda sad that this is all you have to hope for.

But here’s the thing, Pats fans already know what it’s like to be at the top, bottom and middle of the pack. At this point they have won enough to last a few lifetimes.

Perhaps someday you will know how this feels as well. Hopefully until then you can seethe away another season hoping for NE to fall flat. If that brings you pleasure you’re sadder than words can describe.

26. concussion182 says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM

Yeah, we haven’t seen this comment EVERY offseason for the last 7 years..

#Jealousy

27. A lot of this junk around the celebrations is b.s. But, I appreciate those players/teams that are planning ahead and asking for clarification now instead of claiming ignorance later about what is or isn’t a penalty. Although, if the league doesn’t then share those ruling with the refs for specific games, what will get called? Do players need to keep a copy of their celebration approval letter in their uniform?

28. Made by Drew Brees.
    Won’t even touch those numbers in Patty town.
    Divas don’t play much under belichik either.

29. superpatriotsfan | May 26, 2017, 10:06 AM EDT
    nhpats says:
    May 26, 2017 9:42 AM
    ———————-

Don’t worry about him/her being on a ledge…that takes guts and we know this fanboy is lacking.

Funny how it’s ok for Cooks talking about this and getting a pass yet CryBabyNation just nailed AB the other day….oh wait I am sorry that’s common of Pat’s fanboys.

30. superpatriotsfan says:
    May 26, 2017 10:06 AM
    nhpats says:
    May 26, 2017 9:42 AM
    ———————-

——————

Son, take a look at your moniker on this site. You are obsessed with the Patriots and yet you are a Jets fan. Do you not see the irony in this?

As for me, I followed the Patriots throughout the 70s and 80s and experienced many lean years. Anything else the Pats accomplish from this point forward is merely icing on the cake for me. And keep this in mind…..BB is not going anywhere. As long as he is around, I like their chances.

31. Oh yes my friend. There will be a downward spiral starting this year. Remember this post during the season when the losing begins. Anger will kick in and you will want to punch a wall. Just remember punching the wall won’t help the frustration though.

32. concussion182 says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM

——————

Tell us son, why are the Patriots the current favorites to win the SB?

33. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 10:44 AM
    superpatriotsfan | May 26, 2017, 10:06 AM EDT
    nhpats says:
    May 26, 2017 9:42 AM
    ———————-

———————–

34. It should read”the triumphant return of Lemmy Akyadis” says:
    May 26, 2017 10:35 AM
    concussion182 says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM

35. What a surprise, a comment from no drool, who wrote he doesn’t care about the Pat’s, yet posts multiple time on every Pat’s article.

36. “It’s gonna make you want to punch a wall.”

Hilarious. Maybe you are childish enough that a sports team losing will “make you want to punch a wall”, but not me. If they lose they lose, no team can win every game, no team can win the Super Bowl every year.

Sounds like you have a real maturity problem.

37. It really hurts you that BB, Brady and the Pats absolutely own your Steelers…. Just take comfort that your Steelers play in such a cupcake division.

Cupcake division noguts? Name the last non Patriots Super Bowl winner from the “tough” division the Cheats play. My guess it would be long before your snowflake butt began crying to your momma so save your cupcake comments. Two teams from Steelers have won since 2000…. step back off the ledge….priceless

38. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 10:55 AM
    It should read”the triumphant return of Lemmy Akyadis” says:
    May 26, 2017 10:35 AM
    concussion182 says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM

That’s OK, everyone finds you hilarious in the saddest possible way.

39. Lol…. What a riot reading all the posts on here from the jealous & envious fans of other teams….. Kraft was right, it really truly is an incurable disease…. Such a shame so many have contacted it!! Lol
    As a Patriots fan, it’s AWESOME to have such faith & trust in my teams ability to be a perennial contender when the salary cap is suppose to eliminate that from even happening….
    Kraft, Brady & BB….. It just doesn’t get any better than that!!!
    Enjoy the upcoming season….I KNOW I WILL
    GO PATS!!!!

40. For Memorial Day I’d like to give a shoutout to drooly’s brain, which clearly went south a long time ago.

41. No team that gets to play the Browns twice a year has any business talking about strength or weakness of divisional opponents.

42. elvoid says:
    May 26, 2017 9:49 AM

——–

the pats are the only team in sports history to
    have such a society-wide impact in the spike
    of a unique form of mental illness

no sports franchise has ever had this kind of
    an impact, essentially disrupting people’s day to day
    lives

it is quite something to behold

freud just creamed his pants

43. nhpats says:
    May 26, 2017 10:50 AM

—————————————-
    How am I Jets fan? Prove your theory Patsie. “As for me, I followed the Patriots throughout the 70s and 80s and experienced many lean years blah blah blah blah.

44. As a Steeler fan I find that comment hilarious because you and your kind act as tho winning is new to you…not the posture of perennial champs. I guess that’s why you fanboys have such a snowflake reputation…..just remember must of your fans climbed aboard after 2000…..Steelers since the 70’s…take a lesson sonny.

Crybaby myth # 17 “Patriots have only been good since the 2000”

Since 1994 no team has more wins than the Patriots
    Since 1994 no team has more playoff wins than the Patriots
    Since 1994 no team has more SB appearances than the Patriots
    Since 1994 no team has more SB wins than the Patriots

And Since 1994 no team has BEAT DOWN THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS more than the Patriots

Take a lesson sonny!!!!

45. Say what you want. Jealous definetly not. I do not envy New England at all. Especially the weather. I come from a city who has many S/B rings as well. I’m telling you its inevitable. You are going to be on the losing end this year. Can’t change fate. Like it or not.

46. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 10:55 AM

=======================

The lesson apparently being that in the world according to drool “must” Pats fans are in their 30’s and 40’s and “must” Steeler fans are like him, somewhere between 70 and deceased… and fading fast.

47. Crybaby myth # 17 “Patriots have only been good since the 2000”

Since 1994 no team has more wins than the Patriots
    Since 1994 no team has more playoff wins than the Patriots
    Since 1994 no team has more SB appearances than the Patriots
    Since 1994 no team has more SB wins than the Patriots

Take a lesson sonny!!!!
    —————————
    So they have only been good since 1994? Tell us about those great teams from 1994 to 2000.

48. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 11:10 AM

—————

Drool, two of the four teams in your cupcake division have never even won a SB…..ever. And just look at how the Pats carved up your cupcake division last season and over the years. The Pats have their highest winning % against the AFC North…..and have pounded your Steelers time and time again….. Once playoff time comes, I always hope the Pats get to play the Steelers…..it’s like an extra bye week. The only team in your cupcake division with a chance at beating the Pats is the Ravens. At least they man up and play tough. I give them much their due…..the Steelers,,,,not so much.

49. So that makes you what 50+ year old on message boards arguing with people on the Internet? Jeez Pats homers sure have no life. Quit slacking at work, your boss who is 20+ years than you wants those fries STAT!”

You do see the irony here don’t you?

50. Tom Brady (greatest of all time) has had to make the best from lots of pretty average receivers over many years. His talent is such that he still found ways to win. However, now Belichick has given up a 1st round Draft pick for Brandin Cooks, it’s like Tom now has a new Ferrari in the driveway. This is going to be a lot of fun because there will be monster numbers. Cooks understands that expectations are much higher and he will have to work much harder as a Patriot.
    Yes, his ring size has been measured.

51. Yeah but he’s still a 2 time loser to Eli. Can’t change that. Patriots will be losers this year, argue all you want. It’s happening.

52. We wanted clarity on what was on those Spygate tapes but they were destroyed. We just had to take Belichick’s word that there was nothing on them. Everything going shady in Patriot land.

53. Flash1287 says:
    May 26, 2017 12:19 PM
    superpatriotsfan Aka cheaters744

Aka fake Patriots fan…

And YOU actually called someone else a loser!
    —————————–
    Flash1287 aka benchwarmer in pee wee football.

I knew you looked familiar.

54. Flash1287 says:
    Mar 10, 2017 5:22 AM
    And the Patriots WIN AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ———————-
    This was your dummy comment after Jimmy G’s instagram account posted a fake message about leaving NE. And you believed it!!!! BWAHAHAHA

55. I’m loving these Pats homers are so triggered today. I can see them getting their panties in a wad while they stomp around in the basement. Let’s see what word they use next, I think “hater” has already been used. Enjoy your weekend Pats homers on PFT message boards.

56. superpatriotsfan says:
    May 26, 2017 12:21 PM
    Lol these Pats fans bragging about the success of other people. I wonder what the avg income for a Pats homer on these boards are? >30k?

—————

I’m willing to compare tax returns with you. We can find a neutral third party to handle the comparison. We can make a bet as to which of us had the most income last year. Loser pays the winner $10k. Are you in Jets fan?

57. “It’s for God”. I can’t think of anything that’s done more damage in recorded history.

58. denverscott says:
    May 26, 2017 1:12 PM
    SO SAD & YET SO TRUE!!!!

59. “We wanted clarity on what was on those Spygate tapes but they were destroyed”

Except several were shown at a press conference Goodell gave, and its well known Jay Glazer has one.

Keep posting what you know are lies since it seems to make you feel special.

60. “We wanted clarity on what was on those Spygate tapes but they were destroyed”

Keep posting what you know are lies since it seems to make you feel special.

I guess that explains why so many Pat’s fanboys post here…thanks for clearing that up.

61. Still waiting for an answer to the last team to win a Lombardi out of the cupcake division the Pat’s play in. Remember…just answer the question…you get bonus points for the Iam Not A Jerk Contest.

Must suck for you to know the Pats own the AFC North too

And you thought the Roonyes owned the steers, nope it’s Tom Brady

62. I dont care if the end comes this year, next year, or 20 years from now. Its been a great run. As a Patriots fan I cant help but to be grateful for all we have been given for the last year and a half, and that gratitude will last long after its over. Those here saying they look forward to suicides I’m sorry thats just not how it works. Since you seem to think its that deep I am also gratefull that you havent done it over the past 15 years and would hope you dont do it if they do win it all again this year. Thats just not what sports is about. I cant wait for the season to start.

63. Cherry picking stats is so much fun. Who’s been to the amost half the SBowls in this century and won 5? Bueller? BUELLER?? I’m waiting for an answer.

64. Why can’t a brave Pat’s fan tell us who last won a Lombardi from that tough conference the Pat’s play in besides the Pat’s.

So I guess Brandon and I are seeking some answers.

65. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 10:44 AM

————————————————————-
    Actually I agree with you. I hate that Cooks is talking about celebrations and think he should shut up and focus on learning the offense.

66. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 6:50 PM

————————————————————
    I think you mean Division, not Conference.

Assuming I’m correct, I will say that is one selective argument.

So OK – I will admit that the Ravens have a won a SB more recently than the Dolphins if you will admit that the Patriots have dominated the AFC North for the entire Brady-Belichick era, including an easy 5-0 run through the cupcakes last year.

67. Nofoolnodrool says:
    May 26, 2017 6:50 PM

So I guess Brandon and I are seeking some answers.

——————-

Because its a trick question. You dont win Lombardis for beating the AFC east. Lombardies are for when you beat the entire NFL.

68. superpatriotsfan says:
    May 26, 2017 10:06 AM

————————–

I thought you had them losing in the Super Bowl?

It must suck being the fan of a team so lousy, that you have to hide your identity behind another team, multiple times, and that the only thing you have to look forward to football-wise, is the demise of that team you hide your identity behind.

69. Oh say can you see says:
    May 27, 2017 3:49 PM

—————–

He’s asking which team in the Patriots division, other than the Patriots, was the last one to win a Super Bowl, and the answer is the Dolphins, 40+ years ago.

70. “Last year the NFL fined and flagged players who mimed shooting a bow and arrow, saying there’s no place for pretending to have a weapon on the field.”

The Patriots have the “minutemen” fire off fake muskets after they score a touchdown. What gives?

71. Everyone hoping for tears if and when the Patriots ever miss the playoffs again, just know that for most pats fans, this team owes us nothing and we will be forever grateful for the good fortune of watching this dynasty over the past two decades.

Much like cowboys, raiders and steeler fans still appreciate the accomplishments their teams made back when they were kids or before they were born.

All the name-calling and prophesies of doom cannot diminish our gratitude for what has already happened.