Ty Montgomery getting used to being a running back

Getty Images

As it turns out, the only thing Ty Montgomery didn’t change this offseason was his uniform number.

The Packers wide receiver-turned-running back is sticking with the position he was forced into out of necessity last year, and he’s sticking with his familiar number 88 jersey.

But he’s now a full-time running back, and he’s had to adjust many things because of it, including his own expectations.

“I definitely didn’t think I’d be, as of right now, the starter for an NFL team at the running back position,” Montgomery said, via Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin. “Actually, I was thinking about that today. I was just like, ‘Man, I’m going into my third year, but it feels like I’m going into my second year.’ It feels like I’m coming off a rookie year.

“I like speaking things into existence and being positive, but I don’t want to be — I don’t know if arrogant is the right word — but I don’t want to overthink it. I’m excited. I’m hopeful. I’m ready to get this thing rolling this year.”

The Packers would be happy with him continuing his performance from last year, when he turned 77 carries into 457 yards (5.9 yards per). And he said he feels more natural now in the 220-pound range, after having to work to stay under that number in the past (Eddie Lacy: “You rang?”).

But the starting job is all his now, with the official declaration coming after Lacy left town and they cut veterans James Starks and Christine Michael, leaving him atop a depth chart which includes three draft picks and two undrafted rookies.

He was happy to learn he’d get to keep his number, since the league allows players to keep their original number (as long as they aren’t switching between ineligible and eligible positions).

“It was, ‘I want to keep it, is there any way I can keep it?’ Because I’ve seen guys out of position based on their number before,” Montgomery said. “So I just started doing the research myself. It’s who I am. It’s me. It’s been my number, and if I don’t have to change it, why should I?”

As long as he continues to perform the way he did last season, they should be fine with that.

28 responses to “Ty Montgomery getting used to being a running back

1. “I like speaking things into existence and being positive, but I don’t want to be — I don’t know if arrogant is the right word — but I don’t want to overthink it.”
    _______

Why would anyone think you’re arrogant? Just because you say you can speak things into existence, an ability only God has.

This guy is almost as arrogant as Rodgers. I think they listen too much to their fans.

2. @ Phantom Stranger

It’s called positive reinforcement. Looks like you and Ty share the same tenuous grasp of the English language. At least Ty is trying to be positive and focus on success. You clearly embrace malevolence.

3. Awww is the Phantom Stranger being a crybaby because his vikings never won a Superbowl? You’re knocking a guy for having a positive attitude? Maybe if your locker room had this attitude, you wouldnt need our throw away ex QB do even sniff a NFC championship game

Response ro:
    The Phantom Stranger says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM
    _______

4. Not 1. Not 2. But, 3 running backs drafted this year. This reckless strategy blatantly exposed tt as an inept & desperate G.M.
    It, also, speaks volumes in how much faith gb has in ty.

5. The Phantom Stranger says: an ability only God has.

————————————————–

What would a hedonistic, left handed meatslapper like you know about God?

Just a word of caution, if the Lord decides the planet needs an enema, you’d better have a great hiding spot!

6. The funny thing is that he likely isn’t a starter and is fighting for playing time (if not a roster spot) if he didn’t change positions. I am not a fan of the Packers, but have to admire a guy that makes the most of the chances he is given.

7. If Jordy Nelson shows up for training camp with the number 44 on I am gonna be ticked…..

8. GenXJ says:

It, also, speaks volumes in how much faith gb has in ty.
    =============================
    Being a Viking troll, we cannot expect you to grasp the concept of “draft & develop”, its a foreign concept to the Viking’s main strategy of signing other team’s rejects and hoping for the best. The difference can been seen in the results with the Packers being in the playoffs for 8 straight years and winning more playoff games last season than the Vikings have won in the last 10 years.

The 3 draft choices are based on the drafting strategy that its an inexact science (Treadslow anybody?) so the more whacks you get at it, the better your probabilities. Our 7th rounder (Devante Mays) is a classic example of what you should do in the 7th round. A ton of talent, also a ton of injuries, so you are playing the odds, can he stay healthy and if he does, can he produce? Likely all three will make either the PS or the final 53, that’s what training camp is all about

9. I still find it hilarious that so many people want to question Aaron Rogers greatness after he took the Packers to another NFC title game with a WR as his RB, a broken offensive line and a bad defense. No other QB in the league accounts more for their teams success than this guy.

10. “Not 1. Not 2. But, 3 running backs drafted this year. This reckless strategy blatantly exposed tt as an inept & desperate G.M.”

Last year Heidi fans were roasting Thompson for only having two running backs after they both got injured. This year they’re roasting him for having four. Most likely the Pack will finish ahead of Mini this year just as they did last year.
    Drafting 3 guys may also come from “drafting the best player available,” but I’m sure Heidi trolls know more than TT does.
    Yep.

11. @cheeseisfattening says:
    May 26, 2017 10:00 AM
    What is it with GB RBs struggling to make set weight limits?
    ________________________________________

We all know you struggle with comprehension and many other things.

He was talking about his weight limit as a receiver, you see, there are different preferred weights for different positions on a football team.

Hope that helps.

12. Montgomery has the size, the strength, the speed, and the toughness to play RB.
    The only question is can he learn all the nuances of the position, and based on what he showed last season, he looks like he will do just fine.

13. irishgary says:
    May 26, 2017 11:39 AM

@cheeseisfattening says:
    May 26, 2017 10:00 AM
    What is it with GB RBs struggling to make set weight limits?
    ________________________________________

We all know you struggle with comprehension and many other things.

Hope that helps.
    ////////////
    We all know you struggle with comprehension and many other things.
    He was talking about his weight not as a receiver but what he feels comfortable at. The Lacy reference was used immediately after his statement. So yes what is the deal with packer RB keeping their weight under control. Read before commenting.

14. We all know you struggle with comprehension and many other things.
    /////////////////

That is something every position has to do in the NFL, it’s not a GB issue it’s a player issue across the NFL (I can name several other players trying to figure out the correct playing weight). Trying to say the Packers players are dealing with weight issues due to ex-GB running back is just silly. Think before commenting.

15. The Phantom Stranger says:
    May 26, 2017 9:38 AM
    _______

—————–

Shouldn’t you be more focused on whether or not Laquon can build on his 1 catch for 15 yards 2016 performance?

16. It sure will be nice to have a RB who can gain the edge, make people miss and accelerate through the hole and run away from people after having to live through the human Cheetos disposal for the past 4 seasons.

All those holes that were never run through, all the yards that were available around the corner that was never gained….. Man, I cannot wait.

17. @flviking

Wow an even dumber post.

“Now in the 220 range after having to stay UNDER that in the past”

You see in the PAST Montgomery was a receiver, and not a running back.

hope that helps.

18. irishgary says:
    May 26, 2017 4:28 PM
    @flviking

Wow an even dumber post.

“Now in the 220 range after having to stay UNDER that in the past”

You see in the PAST Montgomery was a receiver, and not a running back.

//////////

He stated he is having trouble staying at 220. Sounds like Lacy to me. And once again packer fan living in the PAST.

Hope that helps

19. You see in the PAST Montgomery was a receiver, and not a running back.
    ————
    I thought Montgomery was a RB last year. Was last year in the past? Maybe I am mistaken somewhere.

Whatever, this is missing the point that Packer players needing to ‘work’ to maintain a weight while living in Green Bay.

You go Ty now that you no longer have to keep working at it!

20. Keeping the #88 is smart for the team.. Imagine no back situation gets you a dime coverage, then motion Ty to the backfield and run the power toss…

21. whatjusthapped says:
    “…The 3 draft choices are based on the drafting strategy that its an inexact science…”

The gb war room has a Dart Board then? tt must’ve daggered a triple on the “running back” marker of the board.