Michael Vick “truly sorry for what I said” about Colin Kaepernick

Getty Images

After saying this week that Colin Kaepernick’s continued unemployment is his own fault, Michael Vick has reconsidered.

Vick said on the Dan Patrick Show that that he’s sorry he said Kaepernick’s play and not his national anthem protest is the reason he’s been unable to find an NFL team this offseason.

“What I said, I should have never said,” Vick said. “I think it was taken out of context in regards to what I was trying to convey, but I only want to help Colin Kaepernick. I’m not a general manager, I’m not the guy who makes the decisions on getting him signed, and I’m truly sorry for what I said. I think I should have used a better choice of words.”

Vick specifically said he’s sorry he urged Kaepernick to get a haircut, saying he doesn’t think that has any bearing on Kaepernick’s situation.

“His afro has nothing to do with him being signed and I wasn’t trying to relay that message. It was more about helping him at the end of the day,” Vick said.

80 responses to “Michael Vick “truly sorry for what I said” about Colin Kaepernick

1. Of course, the ole “taken out of context” defence.

Mike, you always sucked just like Kaepernick.

2. Still wo dering why this is on the eagles page.. guy played for the eagles 5 yrs ago amd hes yalking about someone who has never played for the eagles..

3. I’m so sick of people walking back their comments as soon as there is an uproar because someone is offended or has their feelings hurt. Be a man.

4. Either you don’t think before you speak, which is very possible or you can’t take the heat.

Man up and be honest

5. Vick taking back his words is just as pathetic as Kaepernick all of a sudden claiming he would no longer kneel during the anthem. It won’t benefit either of them. Might as well be a man and stand behind your words/actions.

6. Even Chip Kelly said that Kaepernick wasn’t the same player after he took on the vegan diet. You can forget about the Kap who tore up the Packers in the playoffs. Some teams don’t want the controversy, some teams don’t think he’s good enough and some starting qbs don’t want him as backup. If Kap is a real revolutionary he’ll wear this without complaint because he knew before hand this could be result.

7. Strange that this is an actual news story.
    Does Anyone really care what his opinion on Anything is?
    This is the time of year we should be focusing on weird points of interest regarding football–especially the Amazing List of GOOD Things that NFL players have accomplished throughout their lives and careers–great stories of humor and teamwork.
    Not blather from a self-serving dingbat.

8. Vicks been out of football for a few years, who cares about him or what he says? Same for TO indirectly slighting Jason Witten, who cares?

9. I’ve gotten many haircuts in order to get jobs that were a couple of dollars over minimum wage. I didn’t like it. I didn’t think it was fair, but I wanted the paycheck. I learned at an early age that the guy that signs the checks makes the rules. P.S. It always grew back.

10. Criticism only from the media where painful truths do not dare see the light of day for fear of “truth shaming.”

I have yet to see much, if any, support or sympathy from NFL fans for CK and his new “#” crusade.

11. Vick gave the guy good advice on getting employed by this group of NFL owners/GMs, like it or not. But he looked ignorant to what are clearly Kap’s priorities in life.

12. I would hate the be the victim of the onslaught Mike Vick must have faced for speaking the truth.

13. Public over reaction brings on forced apologies, have we all not learned that by now? This is all no big deal

14. The funniest part is that the people who think they help Kaep by pummeling anyone who questions him are a big part of why he remains unemployed. Like any coach or GM wants to deal with the craziness of the Kaepernick Defense Squadron when he goes 3-8 with 4 INTs and then burns the America flag on Instagram to distract people from it.

15. One guy drew attention to police misconduct.
    One guy tortured and murdered animals.

Guess which guy the bulk of PFT commenters side with?

16. It’s pretty Sad when you tell the Truth U have to apologize !!!!…but that’s the Lib’s…They can’t handle the Truth…

17. He was and is STILL right about krapernick.
    krapernick’s lousy play is what’s keeping him out of the league.

18. I don’t get it. What did Mike Vick say that was so bad? He was trying help KRaep and give him some advice. KLaep should be taking all the advice he can get.

19. Vick, how many times are you going to apologize for your actions(from 2007- present), Geez??? That tells me something right there…!!!

20. In the Weeds says:
    Jul 20, 2017 12:13 PM
    Strange that this is an actual news story.
    Does Anyone really care what his opinion on Anything is?
    Not blather from a self-serving dingbat.
    – – – –

It’s only a “news story” if people click on it, and I would say, yes, people (including you and I) care about Vick’s opinion. That’s why we all clicked on it. If the story’s headline was “My Neighbor ‘Truly Sorry’ For What He Said About Kaepernick, would anyone click on it?

Same thing with the Kaepernick situation. All of the haters are just feeding the movement. If you don’t like Kaep (which most of you don’t), stop clicking and posting on his stories! That’s how it will go away.

“Stories” only stays relevant because of the public’s demand (read: clicks) for any given subject. So many people blame “the media”, but they are just giving us what we want to see/read about.

Why don’t people understand this?

21. Apology for offering his opinion? Doesn’t Vick know opinions counter to the media’s chosen narrative will not be tolerated?

22. What does he actually have to be sorry about?

I know it’s hard, but just take political correctness out of the equation.

Just yes or no, do you think the image you present of yourself has a factor in getting a job or not?

23. Go away MV. You are not relevant in any way shape or form. Who would even consider taking advice from you given your past. It’s sad when guys retire from the NFL and no longer have a platform, so they make statements for attention. Go away MV.

24. So what you guys are saying is you care more about his haircut than his football ability? I’m pretty sure the mismanaged football team named after a type of potato would agree. HTTR.

25. Mike you have nothing to apologize for!! Stop it!

BTW, neither do NFL teams who don’t want to pick up Kap.

Cmon training camp the fodder posted in these slow months is horrible.

26. Let “he who has never said anything stupid and then regretted it” cast the first stone.

Ron Mexico says he’s sorry. It’s not really newsworthy or worth a lot of outrage.

27. maestro1899 says:
    Jul 20, 2017 12:53 PM
    In the Weeds says:
    Jul 20, 2017 12:13 PM
    Strange that this is an actual news story.
    Does Anyone really care what his opinion on Anything is?
    Not blather from a self-serving dingbat.
    – – – –

Why don’t people understand this?
    ——–
    I clicked on it because I wanted to point out that There Are A Lot Of Other Stories re the NFL that Deserve Our Focus–not because I care to read or hear about either of the two athletes in the story.

Now you can understand why I did that.

28. Guy had 2200 yards 16 TDs 4 ints, 60% completion percentage last year in 11 games with possibly the worst Wide receiving core ever assembled on an NFL team. And he can’t even get a back up job? He should sue the S out of the NFL for collusion.

I don’t agree with his politics but the guy has never been in trouble with the law. Was a 4.0 student in University, had one of the highest wonderlic scores ever. Has put his money and his time where his mouth is. Its BS whats happend to him.

29. tonyzendejas says:
    Jul 20, 2017 12:43 PM
    One guy drew attention to police misconduct.
    One guy tortured and murdered animals.

Guess which guy the bulk of PFT commenters side with?
    —————————
    Exactly.
    but they are a persistent bunch of hypo’s….
    old n’ ratchety….still trying to figure out a way to dance to Bob Seger’s “old time rock and roll”

30. He was tryin to make them same people(mostly whites) that wanted him hung to be happy with his remark. If you don’t think he wanted to get a pat on the head for points your very much as blinded and brainwashed as he is. People wear dreads.. Afros…braids mullots …Mo Hawks or just long wild hair in football how in the hell does his Afro have anything to do with his football history? NONE… No one is gonna say Your too black and proud so we don’t want you… So your trippin if you don’t see….ITS ALL ABOUT RACE!!

31. lol what does it matter if he likes his haircut or not. There have been much wilder cuts in the NFL for sure. Problem with Kaep is people want to blame him not being on a team cause of his decision to “kneel” for the anthem.

First of all, lets get this correct, it wasn’t his decision to kneel that caused problems. It was his decision to sit on his ass and be disrespectful that caused the uproar. If Kaep had started out with the kneeling at the beginning there never would have been any issue at all. It was his immature handling of the situation and demonstration that got him in the mess to begin with. Plenty of other players showed their support on that issue in different more respectful ways (including kneeling) and none of them got burned for it.

Also lets not ignore the fact that if he was actually a good QB he would be signed right now. Regardless of the anthem fiasco a team would have him in camp right now if he were good. Its easy to blame exterior factors for him not being signed, rather than admit the bitter truth that he’s not a great QB and isn’t fit to start. Especially when combined with the media circus he brings with him, which he created himself.

Sorry but Kaep did this to himself, time to stop blaming other people for his current situation.

32. I’m sorry I’m a 24 year black male that interviews potential employees. When I come across certain people that has difficulty gaining or sustaining employment the 1st thing we discuss is their appearance. Whether it’s wardrobe, hair choices, grooming, it doesn’t matter. Fair or unfair we are judged based on how we present ourselves to people.

Now, I personally don’t think the afro is the factor that is keeping Kapernick unemployed. when you bring attention to the business that employs you for issues that are not caused by your employer and you wish to remain employee by that same business, you might want to present yourself in a different light because you bring nothing but unnecessary attention especially your value isn’t worth the attention you bring.

Thank you Vick for offering your genuine opinion.

33. The Man got to him.

Remember a few years back when that stoned out waste of talent Miley Cyrus had one of her many obscene performances and Cher had the gall to say “if she is going to stick her tongue out, at least brush it so there isn’t that white stuff on there…”? Pretty innocuous and actually some decent advice. She was in no way impugning the disgusting performance.

A few days later, she appeared with her tail between her legs and apologized for her comments. Pretty much said the same thing. Just trying to offer some good advice.

You don’t touch those who are being used to bring the message that The Man wants out. Whether it is whatever Miley is representing or Kaep… you just don’t say anything, unless you want a visit from some men in black.

34. The only time Michael Vick has ever been right about anything and he tucks his tail between his legs and cows to the PC police. About as gutless as his performance in the 2004 NFC Championship game.

35. Welp, it’s here, the day I thought would never come. Armageddon? Nope, close. The day I stick up for Ronnie Mexico. *shudder* That will leave a mark.

36. So many conservative snowflakes in these comments. Vick may have been right, but if he was, maybe you should think about why so many players can play covered in tattoos, dreadlocks, whatever Clay Matthews does with his hair (all of which I think is perfectly fine), but Kaep having an afro is a problem. NFL quarterback is not an office job. Who cares if he has big hair?

And to the extent it’s about Kaep’s protesting…I don’t agree with his protest, but the only reason the guy is getting crucified is because the issue gives very lazy people a chance to feel superior to him without actually doing anything. Kaep is wrong, but at least he’s trying to do what he *thinks* is right. Every team in the league has some low-character players, and most have at least one guy with criminal record. So why do we reserve our scorn for a guy trying to make a political statement who hasn’t actually broken any laws or hurt anybody? I think that’s a question worth examining.

37. I come on here often to read news articles sometimes that go uncovered by ESPN and rarely do I comment but I have to comment on this. From one Black man to Vick, you don’t need to apologize.

I saw no fault in what you said. Kaepernick is at fault for his own lack of jobs. first, his appearance and second the whole kneeling for the national anthem.

I just turned 35, and unfortunately i get lumped in with this generation – Millennials. And most Millennials somehow don’t understand how this world works. i see videos of people complaining because someone was kicked out of some event because they dressed a certain way and everyone goes insane. Maybe because my parent are from Africa and I lived there for many year that I don’t subscribe to this new generation. But there are rules in place for a reason and people need to understand that. When a company is paying you millions, they want you to become corporate not radical, and somehow some millennials believe you can be both, No You Can’t.

On the Anthem kneeling. My fav. comedian Chris Rock had a special on HBO years ago, where he asked the audience, ” who are the most racist people in America.” His answer was Old Black Men. And his reasoning was, “an old black man hates your gut but would never let you F his money up. He didn’t go through this whole I can’t get a cab B S, he was the cab. White man jumps his back and says Main Street N***, Main Street”.

Kaep has completely gone about this this wrong way. He kneeling did nothing to change anything but get him unemployed. He became the anti-old black man. The man who wouldn’t let anyone F his money up. Kaep was willing to kneel and now he can’t be surprised companies owned by white men and women are now kneeling against him.

I am sure there are many black people who will disagree with me and I am ok with that.

38. Yeah no team will sign him because he needs a haircut…..thats whats going on…..guy isn’t applying for a job a goldman sachs

39. The people that have issue with Vick and caused this apology are the type that just react with outrage over everything. They didn’t actually read what he said just reacted to the ‘Kaepernick needs to cut his hair says Vick’ headlines. They took that and ran with it.

It’s not as if he said a hair cut would magically land him a job the next day as if GMs are in their office going: “Hmmmm I need a QB but Kaepernick has that full on Black Power fro going on”

All Vick’s words mean is that changing image can show you are more serious. It’s not that hard to understand. If you are hiring for any job from QB down to factory worker who do you initially gravitate to first: a black man with a clean hair cut, a suit and tie or one with a giant fro, a tee, and jeans on? a white guy with a standard hair cut, dress clothes on or a shaggy haired, scruffy beard white guy that looks like he cut surfing time down to come to the interview? A girl in business attire at the interview or one that looks like they just came from a rave right to the job?

40. My memory is that when Vick’s comments were first posted on this site, most people agreed with him. I don’t know where the “That’s quite a change of heart, coming after Vick received quite a bit of criticism for his comments.” thought is coming from, most likely more fake news.

41. “Black people everyday in this country go through some injustice, what most of us don’t do is become the loudest voice in the room by doing some stupid and pretending we are doing it for all black people. Especially when you are working in the corporate world. Martin Luther King could be that voice because he didn’t have a white man paying his salary, Kaep does. Let your actions speak louder than your words. I mean Kaep is complaining about police shootings but what about the in-justice going on in his city. Silicon value doesn’t hire black people and a lot of the city is now gentrified. There are injustices everywhere and there are ways to go about it.”

Kaep has given A LOT of money and time towards causes he believes in. Injustice in Silicon Valley??? WTF are you talking about? Should white people feel theres in-justice because theres more Asian and Indian coders out there? Thats literally the worst example of whatever backwards point you were trying to make that you could come up with.

42. tonyzendejas says:

One guy drew attention to police misconduct.
    ======================================

No he didn’t. It was already national news when he wore his pig socks. The police in Dallas had been murdered just prior (great timing), and the hands up lie was before that.

43. He was only trying to help. It’s not like he said anything that wasn’t true, no matter how distasteful it may be to the PC crowd and left wing media.

44. What’s up with the hillbillies on the PFT chat board? He never said the “truth” , he made an inane argument about how his play is bad but then simultaneously somehow his hair was responsible. It was a dumb statement – worthy of criticism and he finally saw it that way also.

45. Um fellas, before you walk into an interview, grab a GQ magazine and take notes. Amazing what I see walk in the door sometimes. I mean hey, mullets were acceptable at one point.

46. murphyslaw40 says:
    Jul 20, 2017 11:57 AM
    He should be. Kaepernick has much better stats than Vick had.

That is the absolute truth. Vick was never a good quarterback, and Kaepernick has an 8 point advantage on QBR, is a point lower in INT %, has a higher TD%, higher yards per attempt, higher completion %, etc. Kaepernick also has significantly better playoff stats.

No question about it.

47. tonyzendejas says:
    Jul 20, 2017 12:43 PM
    One guy drew attention to police misconduct.
    One guy tortured and murdered animals.

Guess which guy the bulk of PFT commenters side with?

—————–

Its weird I know, but the one with the far more despicable past was still also the one that spoke truth in the present.

I mean geez, a liberal says the sky is not blue, some stupid redneck says it is. So if you look up and say, yeah, I see there its blue the liberal will condemn you for siding against them and start casting aspirations on your character that you would think such a thing as that the sky is blue.

48. Perception is reality. Part of that is appearance, part of it actions, part of it prejudice (in the most neutral sense, in that we all have our own ideas we bring to any matter).

I don’t think cutting his hair would outweigh the other factors, but I know for a fact he’d be better off with a neat ‘do if he is trying to get another job in the NFL. Nothing controversial there.

49. I’m going to sit during the anthem.. No no I’m going to kneel during the anthem…no no this year I will stand for the anthem.Nice to know you believe in what you are protesting about.Pretty cool that you went to ghana but then came back to your 3 million dollar condo…couldn’t stand the heat?

50. It’s lunacy to think a haircut would have kaep working again. Besides, that ‘fro is beautiful ‘bro…black is beautiful bro! do your thing

51. This subject comes up now and then. There was a coach who purportedly was not liked due to long hair. Heck, Americans haven’t elected someone with facial hair since the 19th century. Anglos have been prejudiced to some degree, against beards since the age of the Vikings. We’re told since we were teenagers that an employer might have a problem if you have long hair or a beard, sometimes even a mustache. The problem is, they won’t say so, and also, it can sometimes be a subconscious prejudice.

Vick is giving some good advice. Just remove any potential issues affecting employment. You can always ease back into long hair again later.

52. ronfai says:
    Jul 20, 2017 2:55 PM

——————————————————

Yeah, it’s weird. Somehow PFT comments have become like Fox News – somehow everything bad can be attributed to “liberals” and “the PC crowd”.

I think PFT posts some interesting stories, but good lord the comments make Youtube look like a think tank.