Derek Carr: If refs would call holding, Khalil Mack would get 30 sacks

Getty Images

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr may have the highest salary in the league, but he also may not even be the best player from the Raiders’ 2014 draft class.

Carr thinks Raiders linebacker Khalil Mack would blow away the league’s sack record and record 30 sacks if referees would call holding the way they should on offensive tackles who grab Mack.

“Because we know this is going to blow up, I’m gonna say 30,” Carr said on SiriusXM. “If he doesn’t get held . . . if they start calling the holdings, if they start calling them like they should — I’m saying 30.”

107 responses to “Derek Carr: If refs would call holding, Khalil Mack would get 30 sacks

1. There is holding on every play somewhere. Everyone knows this. I’m sure not only Khalil Mack’s numbers would sky rocker, but every other pass rusher as well. But let’s just say they did call holding that way … how many of those 30 sacks would be given back for ‘roughing the quarterback’?

2. A holding call is really up to the official and the official is not going to call holding thirty times in a game. The same is true with pass interference. No one wants to watch a game that gets interrupted over and over again for penalties. Frankly, I think the system we have now, for all its flaws, is the best it is going to get.

3. I know it’s seems biased, but I almost lose my mind on how many non calls on mack there are…he gets held on like every play! Go check dudes tape before you try to play me lol

4. Derek’s going to get more random drug tests after that comment…

The real sack record holder is Jared Allen with 22. Strahan had 21.5 plus a donated sack from Brett Favre.

5. Carr is right on the money. I’ve been watching NFL tape for decades and there’s a reason why QB’s are breaking the all time passing records. Fans want scoring. Fans pay the bills. If QB’s have an extra second to hold onto the ball, scoring goes way up. Von Miller gets held too. They all do. It’s not just Mack. If they didn’t allow holding, it wouldn’t be as much a passing league, and QB’s wouldn’t be making $25 million a year. Carr should be happy they allow holding. They also don’t call illegal pick plays against WR’s, and they cracked down on DB’s holding. The league wants offense. It’s another reason you can’t compare QB stats from one era to another.

6. jagmankane while I agree in principle with what you are saying – that 30 is unrealistic – I think what he is saying is that if the refs called more holds, the O-Line would hold less, thus resulting in more sack opportunities. Plus he did throw it out there as a big number.

I agree with Carr on that one fact. Mack is a beast and would get more sacks, but then I think the Defense has been dumbed down for years in the “fan-focused interest” of getting more points on the board. I would love to see some of these guys play against old school defenses.

7. Offensive holding is a part if the “patriot way” too. Those zebras are the twelfth man on the field for the cheatahs. the tuck rule was just the beginning. The biggest controversy is yet to come. Book it!

8. I think he meant holding calls, not sacks.

It works both ways. Carr is just thinking about when Mack is rushing. But if they start calling holding on the level he asks for then the guys coming for him will be getting holding calls too. He might find his 1st & 20 and or long 3rd situations going way up.

9. If the refs called holding more often you and every other QB would get hit so much more, so watch what you wish for Derek. Not like they’re just gonna call all these holdings on whoever the Raiders are playing and not on the Raiders.

10. Yea just shut up dude there shouldn’t even be holding calls don’t try n get these refs to call more smh

11. I liked this guy until about a month ago. First the unnecessary jab at Russell Wilson for a play call he wasn’t responsible for calling. Now he’s got this holier than thou attitude that is quickly getting old. Amazing what a jumbo contract does to the ego.

12. @jagmankane

Carr is saying that if the refs call holding as they should, then the OTs will have to stop holding Mack and Mack would tear them up for 30 sacks.

Still, it’s an idiotic thing to say, which appears to the norm for Carr, ever since he decided to talk trash on Raiders fans.

13. He’s not wrong. I get that holding happens a lot and that it goes uncalled for every team, but the sheer number of times Mack was not only held, but dragged to the ground, was maddening. I remember thinking “what does this guy need to do to get a holding call”?

14. If refs would call holding, Derek Carr would get sacked 30 times a game.

See? It works both ways.

15. power95 says:
    Jul 21, 2017 7:19 AM
    Strahan’s record is fake news.
    ————————–

Wow, someone should let the league know that because it is currently listed as the most in a season.

16. What I like most about Khalil Mack is that he is a complete player. He’s equally dominant as a run-defender as he is as a pass rusher. Unlike Von Miller who is a one-trick-pony sack meister with poor run-defending skills (denver was 28th in run defense).

17. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis dealt with this for YEARS. OT’s practically choked them out on their way to the QB. It is what it is, as they say.

18. gtodriver says:
    Jul 21, 2017 7:39 AM
    Derek’s going to get more random drug tests after that comment…

Guess you forgot about Justin Houston’s 22 two years ago…..it’s okay, so did everyone else outside of KC.

19. “Mack has a total of 30 sacks in his three-year NFL career, so expecting him to get 30 in one season is unrealistic. Maybe Michael Strahan’s record of 22.5 sacks in a season is a more realistic goal.”
    ———————
    If 22.5 is realistic, then an extra 0.5 sacks/game shouldn’t be that unrealistic. Which would take him to 30 mark.

20. And if they called holding the way they should, Erin Rodgers stats would plummet. Not fake news to anyone who watches the game without green and gold goggles.

21. If refs would call holding, Tamba Hali would be the all time sacks leader. And I’m not a Chiefs fan. That guy gets rear naked choked on just about every play.

22. 315judman says:
    Jul 21, 2017 7:46 AM

——————–
    The article is about one Raiders player talking about another Raiders player and I dont think his comments were specific to when they play the Patriots. Or at least I would hope Carr is not perspiring over the Patriots matchup as he goes into training camp, there are 15 other games too.

23. Refs pick and choose who to call whistles on depending on who the NFL office wants… (Not every game). It is becoming like the NBA…

24. Forget about the sack numbers, its not a dumb move by Carr for calling attention to a rule!It may not accomplish anything or it might put pressure on the league because of the spotlight now on their holding rule 0r non holding calls?Hold them accountable to be clear and consistent.

We have one of the most dominant and feared pass rushers in the game. I Don’t want to hear the BS about you can call holding on every play,well call it,I”ll take those ten yards because the sack may have only been a six or seven yard loss. I know it works both ways but I will take our chances with our O line against the field.

We’ll see if there are apologies for missed holding calls in order or will the new Blandino,whomever that is? have to explain why holding was not called on that play.

25. cakesw says:
    Jul 21, 2017 8:33 AM

Actually….

If the refs called holding….

Mack would get 30 holding calls against him.
    ———————————————
    Brilliant and correct answer!!!

26. There sure are a lot of folks salty over the resurgence of the mighty Raiders franchise. The only thing that matters is that Mack is the best pass rusher in the league, bar none.

27. Every word out of the highest paid player in the NFL makes him sound dumber than before.

28. I broke down Mack’s tape from last year from every game and I had 34 potential sacks. You are welcome, Ungulates.

meanwhile the rest of us broke down our time to spend with kids, jobs, wives/gf’s.

29. RegisHawk says:
    Jul 21, 2017 8:15 AM

If refs would call holding, Derek Carr would get sacked 30 times a game.

See? It works both ways

——————-

Derek would definitely look a lot more like David then, lol. I agree completely

30. oneilistheone says:
    Jul 21, 2017 9:16 AM

————————–

Enthusiasm over Mack aside, it would not play out how you are picturing. I think what you want is a perfect world where holding stops happening at all in which case Mack would certainly get the QB more than most because he really is that good. But the way it would play out in this world is that holding, which happens all the time even to lesser pass rushers than Mack, would wind up getting get called all the time just when pass rushes are attempted at all. So regardless of how great a player got held its still 10 yards, so you are only breaking even if the refs are taking over. And if a defense is getting penalties every time they rush they are going to rush every time too, there will be no situation where Mack is getting the 10 yards more often than the rest. So you actually don’t want to ‘take your chances’, you would rather things stay as they are. Assuming all pass rushers get held Mack is still more likely to get there even while being held than most defenders. So by just leaving the matter in Macks hands he is going to get you an advantage instead of just a break even.

31. And this too, is what made Reggie White the greatest DE of all time.

There were times he got held, but he was so strong, yet so athletic, that OTs weren’t able to hold him the way they can a lot of other players. He beat offensive linemen into submission.

Im sad he left Philly, but man, was I glad to see him get that ring in GB. If anyone deserved a ring, it was Reggie. Best all around player Ive ever seen.

32. 315judman says:
    Jul 21, 2017 7:46 AM
    ____________

O-b-s-e-s-s-i-o-n.
    TY for sharing,. Your misery is our joy.

33. Here is what I want.

The Refs get graded on performance, is missed holding calls not part of that grading or is that a judgement call as well?Tell me when it is missed or judge mental!

See it Say it. May the most skilled O line be the better teams.

Time to expose the rule or expose O line man for being not as athletic?They changed rules to help the passing game.

Don’t also ignore rules that are already in place to insure it is fair for the Defense.

Don’t tell me what would happen, I don’t care what would happen.Call the game the way it is suppose to be called, let me see what happens and then I will take it from there on how I feel about.

34. RegisHawk says:
    Jul 21, 2017 8:15 AM

If refs would call holding, Derek Carr would get sacked 30 times a game.

See? It works both ways

——————-

Smartest thing a Seahawk fan has ever said.

35. If Derek Carr had the Seahags O line he would get sacked 30 times a game.

Yup that’s true.

36. Don’t get me wrong, I like Mack. But maybe let’s let him at least lead the league in sacks or put up more than 15 in a season before we crown him the sack king. And he also got shutout in the playoffs vs Texans. Let’s just take it easy. Dude is a beast tho but just let him play. Didn’t carr predict 30 sacks for Mack last year too?

37. dayglo80 says:
    Jul 21, 2017 10:53 AM
    This guy seriously needs to stop talking. Used to like the guy but now he is just a turd
    ___________________________

Jelly much?

38. Did he mention another team?

If you are not a Raider Fan then some of you should stop talking or we might think you care or maybe worried.

I always hated your turd QB.

39. If they start calling holding like Carr apparently wants, he will either get sacked 100 times per season, or every offense will never move the ball due to all of the flags.

40. Believe it or not football Seers

Some offenses have the ability to run the ball at your weak run D and your light in the ass edge pass rushers.

We know how to keep them honest so they can’t pin their ears back and tee off on the our QB.

Good luck defending the play action pass since you will rushing the passer 100 times a game.

41. I know theres holding on every play, but its never usually the same guy held on every play. Mack never gets the calls, this is a way of DC shedding light and getting officials to throw the flag.
    Nicely done DC

42. araidersfan says:
    Jul 21, 2017 8:37 AM
    ———————————————

Clear you never watched Miller because he was ranked top 3 in stopping the run at his position. Just because the team couldn’t stop the run doesn’t mean he couldn’t.

43. Media darling Mack isn’t even a Top 5 defender in the AFCW.

Gonna be a pleasure to see him and Oakvegas reclaim their historical spot in the AFCW cellar.

44. Maybe Derek wan’t to get himself blown up BEFORE his team’s 15th game this season. What a dumb remark. Does he really believe that linemen only get away with holding on Mack? I’m already sick of this guy and I used to like him. Now, I’d like to see Mariota pass him by. That kid handles himself like a pro.

45. Yeah he has an O line too but how many Macks will he face this season.

Sew those seeds DC.

46. seabrawk12 says:
    Jul 21, 2017 8:03 AM

____________________________________

As a Hawks fan, you obviously have reading comprehension issues. The jab was not at Russ Wilson, but you took it that way. THEN you are upset Derek is “Holier than thou”? And you are a Russ fan? Are you intentionally a troll or just a blind bandwagon fan?

47. An NFL season is 16 games. Mack would need to get 2 sacks in 14 games and 1 sack in two games to reach 30. Looking at how he can dominate OTs, I really don’t think it’s far fetched that he reaches 30. Mack’s speed to power move is virtually unstoppable. Plus Mack has been a late bloomer, with most of his sacks coming past week 8 in every one of his 3 seasons so far. If he can be just as dominant in the first half of the season, I think 30 sacks is totally within the realm of possibility!!!

48. 49ersfury says:
    Jul 21, 2017 7:44 AM
    Now that he’s not lying about. Khalil Mack gets held on every play. At least the games that I’ve seen the Faders play.
    —————–
    This coming from a 49er (whiner) fan, calling them Faders! LOL!

49. A lot of those missed holding calls save you from getting your back planted in the ground by a someone who wants to hurt you carr. careful what you wish for

50. araidersfan says:
    Jul 21, 2017 8:37 AM

_______________________

You raiders fans crack me up…

1) Miller is an OLB and Mack is a DE. Mack is always on the line of scrimmage. Von Miller covers TE’s and is all over the field. In that aspect, Miller is more complete than Mack.

2) According to PFF, Von Miller was one of the best at his position when stopping the run.

Not sure how this article about Mack had anything to do with Miller in the first place.

51. Logic makes 0 sense.
    If they call more holding calls then he’ll get more sacks? Is he inferring O-lines will hold less to avoid calls? Doesn’t that mean Carr would be sacked exponentially more as well?

52. I love the PFT comment section.

The best edge defender in the league against the run, leads the league in QB hurries by a lot, defensive player of the year, was the most held player in the league in 2015 (haven’t found a breakdown of 2016 yet)….

But, some guy in the PFT comment section thinks Mack isn’t even a top 5 defender in the AFC west…..

53. CHARGER, yes, I’m sure every time a qb had a td called back because of offensive holding.

54. He’s talking about blatant holding on Mack bc O-lineman HAVE to every play. the refs just cant call the blatant ones that happen to Mack every time because it would ruin the fun of watching the game. Most those blatant calls get called when its a regular guy bc its less frequent

55. Just play the game Derek that is what you are good at. This comment about Mack is absurd. Stop lobbying for holding calls in July. And the trolling of the Seahawks with “I would hand the ball off to Marshawn” was so unnecessary as well.

56. Everyone is all upset at DC as if this is the first time he’s said that. Oh wait, nobody paid attn till he went 12-3. NOW you all want to chime in.

Sit down, haters.

57. Okay. If I’m an NFL official, I now increase the number of holding calls I make by about triple — on the Raiders. Maybe then Derick Carr will learn to shut his big mouth.
    In the first place, Mack doesn’t get singled out any more than any other “D” lineman for not getting holding calls. Everyone knows, officials could call holding on every play if they wanted to, but I’m glad they don’t. My feeling is let them play. Let the “O” linemen hold and let the “D” linemen slap them up side the head with their forearms as they used to.

As for Carr, for a guy who hasn’t done anything in the NFL yet, he sure thinks highly of himself. Let him lead his team to a Super Bowl win before he anoints himself a great QB and a spokesperson for everything NFL. Because he is not there yet.

And for the record, I think his goofy looking older brother stinks as an analyst on the NFL Network (or is it ESPN?) too.

I used to like the Raiders in the AFC. But now because of Carr, I root against them.

58. Derek Carr: If refs would call holding, Khalil Mack would get 30 sacks

And if refs called holding, YOU would get sacked 30+ times. Do you not see the correlation?

59. He’s sure expensive for being so stupid

Raiders fans thinking they are on the rise are cracking me up. Had to pay Carr but he’s not even top 10 yet. He may be on the cusp after Brees Brady Roethlisberger Manning Rivers Palmer and Rodgers all retire. All of them. Then, he’d almost be top 10. Almost.

60. A lot of fans don’t know what is and isn’t allowed according to the holding rules. Blockers are allowed to use their arms a lot more than fans appreciate.
    Having said that…
    Now I would assume that Derek Carr does know what the rules are. But his opponents aren’t the only ones getting away with holds from time to time. If Raiders’ linemen were called strictly, Derek would get sacked as often as his older brother David did when he played for the Texans.