Deshaun Watson: I did a decent job

AP

Texans rookie Deshaun Watson only completed three of the 10 passes he attempted against the Patriots on Saturday night, but he ran for a touchdown and a couple of those passes went for big gains that set up 10 Houston points while he was in the game.

Both of those big gains came courtesy of long runs after the catch by wide receiver Bruce Ellington and running back D'Onta Foreman, although coach Bill O’Brien credited Watson with doing “some good things” during a night with more ups and downs than his preseason debut.

“I did a decent job,” Watson said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I did what I needed to do to try to move the ball to help the team out. There’s always things I can get better at. I’m going to watch the film and I’m going to continue to work on that.”

Tom Savage was 8-of-9 for 98 yards before giving way to Watson and there was little about either quarterback’s performance to suggest that the Texans will give serious thought to veering away from their plan to have the rookie start his NFL career as a backup.

34 responses to “Deshaun Watson: I did a decent job

1. Watson certainly moved well in and out of the pocket but it just seemed as though he consistently thought he had more time than he did and didn’t go through his reads well. The athleticism is there but right now the game speed just seems a little too quick for him. Savage looked very good though, albeit against as vanilla a D as I can recall NE running even in the preseason. He is seeing the field well and going through his progressions, looks like it has ‘clicked’ for him. All in all Houston looks to be in better QB shape than they have in years.

2. I don’t know about quarterback, but the Texans may have found a pretty good running back.
    If they can keep him out of jail. And un-suspended. Little things like that.

3. “I’ve done a decent job.”

Words Tom Brady has never spoken. Love him or hate him, Brady puts the losses on his shoulders and the wins on his teammates’.

4. Savage will be gone after this season.. Watson will be a Vince Young clone bust and the Texans will be searching for a coach and and quarterback

5. He’s overrated and will be average AT BEST! He’s a perfect fit of the Texans, the most average yet wasted talent (JJ, Hopkins and Foster….NOT WATSON, no way) team in the NFL…

6. stexan says:
    August 20, 2017 at 4:10 pm
    If they can keep him out of jail. And un-suspended. Little things like that.

———————-

He is the best QB on the roster so what does that say about your team?

7. He did a horrible job. I couldn’t care less about a rushing TD. Pocket passers win championships.

8. the Browns use to make excuse after excuse about Johnny Football. all the Browns did was waste on e first round pick on him . hope Mr. wonderlic is good at holding a clipboard.

9. Two preseason games and all of you gurus already know he is either a bust or the next great thing. The Texans can win big games with a game manager ( possibly what Savage will be) but they need someone who can be a playmaker. If it is Watson then yay good for them. If not then maybe finally Rick Smith and O’Brien will be fired.

10. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    August 20, 2017 at 5:51 pm
    stexan says:
    August 20, 2017 at 4:10 pm
    If they can keep him out of jail. And un-suspended. Little things like that.
    ———————-
    He is the best QB on the roster so what does that say about your team?

——————————————————————————-

What it says I know one helluva lot more about football than at least some Pats fans.

11. Responding to a career troll is one thing, but when someone posts that they know more about FB than everyone else, it tells me 1 sure thing. They don’t.

12. the Browns use to make excuse after excuse about Johnny Football. all the Browns did was waste on e first round pick on him . hope Mr. wonderlic is good at holding a clipboard.
    —————–
    …the Texans have 2017 & 2018 1st round pick plus a 2018 2nd round pick invested in their current QB situation….that being said, he’ll be at least an average starting QB…

13. Watson looks very good after two weeks of games – in fact, speaking as a Chiefs fan since 1963, I/other fans spoken with are having some buyer’s remorse re: our selection, Mahomes, compared to other rookie QB’s 2017.

1 Mitchell Trubisky
    – Clearly the best QB in this draft, and it isn’t even close. If my Chiefs were going to give up 2 #1’s and a #3 for a single draft choice, they should have gotten more (or paid more if needed to get Trubisky) than what they appear to have gotten.

2 Deshaun Watson
    – Watson is tailor-made for HOU’s offense (and would also be for KC’s.) Very high upside and my pick to be the AFC’s best drafted rookie QB, based on early returns. With Savage and Watson, HOU’s QB situation looks to be in good hands.

3 CJ Beathard
    – Beathard may turn out to be the steal of the draft, deja vu all over again nod 1979 when KC took Fuller round #1 & SF Montana round #3. So far Beathard looks the better QB between the two teams 2017 picks.

4 Kizer
    – Has already shown big play ability the deep throw, and his size/athleticism and pedigree Notre Dame will also help.

5 Mahomes
    – Has shown little ‘down field’ acumen to date (Captain Checkdown.2 we don’t need in KC.) Swing passes/short throws yes, downfield ability/big plays uh huh, has been no indication.

14. He easily could’ve been 8/10 for about 150 or so. He had a ball batted at the line and a throw away in the end one, but the rest of his incompletions seemed to be drops.

15. stexan says:
    August 20, 2017 at 7:06 pm
    ——————————
    patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    August 20, 2017 at 5:51 pm
    stexan says:
    August 20, 2017 at 4:10 pm
    If they can keep him out of jail. And un-suspended. Little things like that.
    ———————-
    He is the best QB on the roster so what does that say about your team?

——————————————————————————-

—————————————————————————–

You must not spend much time on this site stexan (as a side note, good for you).

patsfan4lifesbchamps is not a Pats fan.

Maybe a Jets fan, maybe a Dolphins fan, maybe a Colts fan, but definitely not a Pats fan.

16. Note to Deshaun – I saw you up close, and you didn’t look “decent”. You’re mobile as can be, but your downfield passing still need a lot of work. Ultimately, that’s what you’ll be judged by as an NFL QB.

17. What’s a “Hodie”? And why does anyone think they know a player’s capability based on a preseason exhibition?