Mike Martz claims he was misquoted on Jared Goff, Sean McVay

AP

Former Rams coach Mike Martz disputes quotes attributed to him criticizing current Rams coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff in an upcoming book.

In Thomas George’s new book, Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks, Martz is quoted as saying that Goff “couldn’t have gone to a worse place” than the Rams, where he struggled as a rookie last year and will now be coached by McVay, whom Martz described derisively as “a buddy for Jared.”

Martz appeared on ESPN LA 710 today and said that while he did point out that McVay, as the NFL’s youngest coach, is only a little older than Goff, he didn’t say the other negative things attributed to him about the McVay-Goff relationship.

“I would never say something like that,” Martz said. “[The quote] was kind of embellished. It was a very short interview, and I think what I told [George] was there’s only a couple years’ difference between them, and they probably brought him in because of his ability to communicate. With [Goff], you want somebody more his age, I guess. But all of that other garbage, I would never say something like that.”

The quotes from Martz in the book seem to be coming out of nowhere, as there’s little reason for Martz to have such animosity toward McVay. But it’s hard to believe that George would simply invent quotes like that. Perhaps George has an audio recording of the interview that can clear up exactly what Martz said.

44 responses to “Mike Martz claims he was misquoted on Jared Goff, Sean McVay

1. But it’s hard to believe that George would simply invent quotes like that.
    —————————————————————————-
    Ever heard of the fake-news media?

2. Mike Martz has a habit of disputing comments and statements he’s made on the record.

3. I agree with Martz. How can a 30 year old Millennial be qualified to be a head coach?

It makes no sense considering many of the players are his age or older.

Horrrible hire. An entitled grandson of John McVay is not going to work out in LA.

4. “I would never say something like that,” Martz said. “[The quote] was kind of embellished.”
    =====

To quote you from the other article..

“wait a minute while I puke”

5. I agree with Martz. How can a 30 year old Millennial be qualified to be a head coach?
    =====

Very simple really.

A billionaire owner and the representitive he appointed to run his operation determined he was the best candidate for the job and he was subsequently hired.

What makes you qualified to question such a hire?

6. Hogwash! I stand by my earlier comment! Absolutely refreshing to see someone who has had a lot of experience in the league not pull any punches and just lay it out there. I’d rather read these types of opinions than the usual coach speak we get day in and day out.

I don’t want to read Mike Tomlin give some lame answer about “only talking about the guys in camp” and so forth. I want to read him absolutely eviscerate Bell for not being in camp. I want him to throw him under the bus then pick up his body and throw him under the bus again.

Thank you Coach Martz for giving us something “real” to read today and not some PR washed statement.

7. Perhaps George has an audio recording of the interview that can clear up exactly what Martz said.

Wasn’t there an audio recording of Gomer telling some reporter about ordering HGH from an out-of-state distributor and having it shipped to his wife in Denver?

8. aarons444 says:
    August 22, 2017 at 3:11 pm
    =====

Very simple really.

What makes you qualified to question such a hire?

2 2 Rate This

—-

Umm, I’ve been around the block a time or two, little guy. That’s what makes me qualified. it’s how I am right so much predicting things in this league or watching teams make massive mistakes with contracts, drafting and general teambuilding.

I just explained why it is a bad hire. McVay has very little experience and is too young. Plain and simple.

Does McVay play Pokemon too? bawaha

9. Umm, I’ve been around the block a time or two, little guy. That’s what makes me qualified.
    =====

Just your opinion.

Just like the rest of us.

I’ll let you get back to your Madden franchise……..

10. That’s ridiculous and his comments conflict with themselves. He criticizes the Rams coaches last year (who were old) and the Rams coaches this year who are young. However they also have Wade Phillips – I think he’s proven to be pretty good for a long long time. The NFL needs more young coaches, some of the retreads are awful especially offensively. How long had Jeff Fisher been coaching and what did he do for Goff? Goff actually looked like his college self in the last preseason game. And he did pretty well with Cousins and McCoy who weren’t top picks. No reason he cant have a good year with Watkins, Kupp and a better line and system

11. aarons444 says:
    August 22, 2017 at 3:27 pm
    =====

Just your opinion.

Just like the rest of us.

I’ll let you get back to your Madden franchise……..

1 1 Rate This

———

Haven’t played Madden since 2002.

Yes, it is my opinion. I never said it wasn’t. Hiring someone with so little experience, with a touch of nepotism for a team that just moved into a NEW market that needs momentum, has disaster written all over it.

Back to your dungeons and dragons, pokemon and Hungry Man tv dinner, little guy.

12. Mike Martz, washed up as he is, is the biggest you know what artist of the century. Either he didn’t say what he said, or he was taken out of context. He did it with the debunked practice filming too. As with most teams, it’s his excuse for losing

13. Hiring someone with so little experience, with a touch of nepotism for a team that just moved into a NEW market that needs momentum, has disaster written all over it.
    =====

Kevin Demoff, Rams COO

“We knew Sean could be special. But I would say the final check point for me was when Sean came back on Tuesday night and he had dinner with myself and Marshall Faulk.

It was listening to him and Marshall banter back and forth about football and what they had to say, look at each other, watching them walk away and Marshall saying, ‘That person can absolutely be your next head coach.’ That it was not just about the age of the players he was with, it was about earning the respect of people who are very smart people in the NFL. Marshall is one of the brightest players we have ever come across, certainly in our team’s history and in the NFL when you look at what he was able to accomplish. And for us that was the final check mark.

Age is not a factor here. This is really about Sean’s talents and his ability to lead and communicate and what we think that would do for the Los Angeles Rams.”

NFL franchise Operating Officer and a HOF RB vs some random chowdahead…

Advantage Rams.

14. hailrskins says:
    August 22, 2017 at 3:00 pm
    Sounds like a very important book.

=============

I’m guessing it’s about as thick as an Irish cookbook.

15. Yeah, and I’m sure Martz was misquoted when he ran his last three offenses into the ground too.

“Ever heard of the fake-news media?”

As for that, yes I have heard of that – it’s The Donald, Breitbart, The Blaze, Fox News, InfoWars and Rush Limbaugh. Funnily enough, Fox News and El Rushbo invented “the mainstream media” lie to help them line their pockets. Now it is hurting them, as the noobs who bought the lie are now using it against Fox and El Rushbo. Now you have even loonier nut jobs like Alex Jones and Sean Hannity inventing murder conspiracies, false flag rumors, slavery operations at pizza parlours, etc.

16. Sounds like sour grapes to me, McVay is an up and coming offensive mind. Martz is a has been that went a little too mad scientist after his heyday with the rams. His turns with both the 9ers and the Bears were rough.

17. bonerfartblog says:
    August 22, 2017 at 3:58 pm
    hailrskins says:
    August 22, 2017 at 3:00 pm
    Sounds like a very important book.

=============

I’m guessing it’s about as thick as an Irish cookbook.

0 1 Rate This

——-

LOL!

Classic.

18. aarons444 says:
    August 22, 2017 at 3:56 pm
    =====

Kevin Demoff, Rams COO

NFL franchise Operating Officer and a HOF RB vs some random chowdahead…

Advantage Rams.

4 1 Rate This

————–

Mr. Squints can keep squinting to try to sell the idea he’s intelligent, but he’s not. Sorry. I have heard him speak way too many times to know this.

You’re making my point for me.

And now, a gimmick hire with a first time, extremely naive and young coach in a win now market.

Bad combo.

19. Martz sounds like Trump–say something and then, when it is published and is embarrassing, claim you didn’t say it and blame it on the media. He’s was surely just being honest when he made the comments–and is probably right–but people tend not to realize that what they say will eventually come out in print.

20. Actually, DIS-advantage Rams….If Marshall Faulk is selecting your head coach, you are in deep crap. His IQ might be 100, and that’s being generous.
    =====

If it were Rodney Harrison saying those things, you’d have dribbled all over your pajamas.

Get over yourself.

21. “And, it’s not like Les Snead isn’t on a hotseat either. He absolutely is. The guy fleeced the Skins in the Rg3 deal and then proceeded to blow the draft picks on the back end.”

If Snead is the guy who blew those picks, then he should have been fired along with Fisher. They whiffed on so many good prospects, it’s ridiculous.

22. “But it’s hard to believe that George would simply invent quotes like that.

I know, right? It’s almost as if he’s trying to get free publicity from football websites for his book. That’s really hard to believe.

23. Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks

Seriously, that’s the best name they could come up with for a book?

24. Forgot to add on my last post but can you stop putting pics of Martz in Bear gear? Had to live through that disaster once and don’t want to be reminded of it again. thank You.

25. I have no idea if McVay will succeed in his first HC job, especially given the challenges with LA. But I would buy stock in his long-term prospects if I could. The guy is the real deal, everything you would want in a coach. Yes he’s young, but he’s a born leader, hard-working, brilliant, and has no ego.

I am also sure this is a classic media-created non-story.

26. The only reason there is no discussion of how Martz coaching almost killed Cutler is because Tice followed Martz. I am surprised Cutler can still walk, yet is able to play.

27. aarons444 says:
    August 22, 2017 at 4:42 pm
    =====

Get over yourself.

2 4 Rate This

—–

listen, “aaron”, i know you enjoy stalking
    me here, but if rodney harrison said something i disagreed with, then
    so be it.

rodney has more intelligence and gets it a lot more than marshall faulk does. that i know

faulk is still wondering how the rams didn’t become a dynasty

lol

28. tylawspick6 says:
    August 22, 2017 at 2:57 pm

It makes no sense considering many of the players are his age or older.

————

You sound like an old curmudgeon who is pissed at the world because people younger than you have passed you by. Since you’re clearly entirely focused on age I’ll list a few sub 35 yr old coaches that were pretty successful:

John Madden
    Don Shula
    Jon Gruden
    Mike Tomlin
    Mike Shanahan

Age had nothing to do with earning respect, job performance does.

Regarding experience, McVay was a successful OC, which is more than can be said for several on the above list.

Now go yell at those kids for walking on your lawn.

29. “But it’s hard to believe that George would simply invent quotes like that. Perhaps George has an audio recording of the interview that can clear up exactly what Martz said.”

I had to laugh at that comment. Lack of trust is the reason Machine Learning is going to replace 3/4 of Journalism for the next generation to come. What we have now at mass quantity is opinion reporting. Machine Learning will clean that right up.