Sam Bradford is day-to-day, for however many days it takes

AP

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer opted to be obtuse when asked about quarterback Sam Bradford after Sunday’s loss at Pittsburgh. A source with knowledge of the situation was slightly more direct in assessing the situation, albeit not a whole lot more informative.

Bradford, who missed the Week Two contest with a knee injury no one knew he’d suffered until he was limited in practice on Wednesday, is day-to-day. His knee is also, per the source, “structurally fine.”

But “fine” is the word that coach Mike Zimmer used on Sunday, and Bradford clearly isn’t. As evidenced by the swelling and discomfort that has prevented him from playing.

The mystery will continue until it doesn’t, with Case Keenum getting the nod until Bradford returns or, possibly, Teddy Bridgewater exits the Physically Unable to Perform list after Week Six.

30 responses to “Sam Bradford is day-to-day, for however many days it takes

1. truepurplefan says:
    September 17, 2017 at 6:19 pm

lambeaudungbarn says:
    September 17, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Funny Sam wasn’t limping on the sideline today… Sam you have some Gambling debts or something?
    HOW did you get hurt? Monday you looked fine..
    SOMETHING STINKS!

**************************************************

I couldn’t agree with you more !!! even when its this obvious people still ignore it !!!

**********************

Maybe that’s why Zimmer refuses to talk about it !!!!!!!!!

2. If people can put there bias aside for a moment ? You have to ask yourself ? If Bradford had such a great game Monday night, And was sacked only 1 time, How is it that he did not look gimpy at all at the end of the game and all of a sudden this week he pulls up Lame !! I am from a steeler/viking home so gratz to steelers but something smells very bad with Bradford so called injury !!! I call a orange an orange but i smell the stench of money being exchanged somewhere ………….. so for all the thumbs down i well get is just fans complacent with being cheated out of a truly competitive game !!!!

3. It will take as many days as Howie Roseman needs to get another 1st round pick from Minnesota for Nick Foles.

4. If Mr PI Trae Waynes wouldn’t have given up several huge plays by either PI or simply not doing his job, then this game would have been much closer.

If my Vikes are to have any success this year, Bradford needs to play, and Waynes either needs to play like a 1st Rd talent, or bench his arse and activate Brock and sit Waynes. That might be the best thing for him, he can’t be a liability sitting on the pine. All I know is I am sick of this up and down year after year.

5. For all the conspiracy theorists out there. Have you ever had your knee surgically repaired not once but twice??? Do you believe that perhaps it could reactive differently to stress or activity than a normally intact knee does? Swelling or irritation could result in mobility issues days after the initial stress on the joint. Putting him out there today on a gimpy leg against a great defense would probably have resulted in more long term damage and down time. He is simply day to day because of a bad knee joint. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. I was happy when the Vikings hired Mike Zimmer, and I still think he’s got what it takes to be a successful head coach. What is really starting to irritate me though, is this silly “I won’t talk about injuries” nonsense, and his bitchy attitude about it. For crying out loud, why not just say, “Sam’s got some pain and swelling in his knee, we thought it would be better to hold him out one week to make sure he doesn’t aggravate it before it can heal completely. It’s a long season.” -or something as simple as that!?! Then he doesn’t divulge any big secrets, the media gets what they need to do their job, and the fans are shown the respect of being allowed to know what’s going on with the team they support with their time and money (after all, the fans ultimately finance the whole thing). Why be so dad-blamed mysterious and cranky about it, Coach???

7. I may be in the minority here, but I don’t think Zimmer owes anything to the media or fans to divulge any information about his team if he’s not required to. We may not like it, but he’s an old school coach paid to win games, not pander to the media.

As far as the game went, it was very predictable. No team is going to go into Pittsburgh on a short week with their back up QB and beat the Steelers in their home opener. Nobody! As long as Bradford is ok long term, Vikes will be fine.

8. My hunch is Bradford’s knee isn’t going to get dramatically better, Keenum will play a lot and Bridgewater will come off the PUP and start. How many games the team actually wins during that process is the real question, but the D and D. Cook are for _real_.

9. fartweasel says:
    September 17, 2017 at 6:46 pm
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Are you freeking kidding me? I have had 2 knee replacements and 4 revisions, I see Players like JJ Watts, and many many others play with PAIN and serious issues! Perhaps it is today’s players making multi millions a year who are pusses in this feminized world! Sam sure didn’t look hurt, joking and walking around without the use of a crutch or cane, on the sidelines.
    So many players will play IF they can walk. Zimmer and his pissy attitude saying it wasn’t a Surgical issue, and he might play next week or 6 weeks from now. Sorry but Zimmer is wearing a bit thin on me, I was born the same year as the Vikings and have been a fan since I could walk,
    REMEMBER US ZIMMER? WE are the fans who pays money for your check! To treat intelligent questions with a flip of your chin and a pissy answer isn’t going to do it. You have a big hole in your ship if you have players take themselves out of the lineup from a bit of swelling and “discomfort”!

10. I know it’s early, but I have a bad feeling about this season. I see a lot of a lot of franchises with creative, aggressive GM’s and younger coaches doing well. The Vikings roster is really deficient or thin in a number of spots. I’m not sure the crusty, I’m ‘old school’ approach by Zimmer works in the NFL anymore. I sense by the end of the year, the right thing for the Wilfs to do is to part ways with both Zimmer and Spielman. No, I’m no crazy or over-reacting…I’m serious! Time will tell…

11. What are they saving Bradford for? There are only 16 games in a season, every game is a “must game”. We all have continued driving even though our gas gauge reads E. Put him back behind the wheel, he’s either going to make it or not.

12. They were not going to win this game. Rather Keemun take the abuse and have Bradford rested for rest of season.

13. lambeaudungbarn says:
    September 17, 2017 at 8:02 pm
    fartweasel says:
    September 17, 2017 at 6:46 pm

**************

14. “So would you be comfortable throwing a football while getting tackled by 300 pound lineman, on your surgically repaired knees? Would it have been more satisfactory for you if Bradford had played and made his knee worse and perhaps missed significant time, at which time we’d be down to one veteran QB and a practice squad player as his backup? I understand the frustration as a lifelong Vikes fan but sometimes a coach has to think about more than just the game he’s currently playing.”
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Probably not if I were working for 14 bucks an hour, but If I am making MILLIONS of Dollars a year.. Would I take a chance?….Yeah I would!

15. Somebody said: “Non- conference game wasn’t worth the risk of losing Bradford. Smart decision.”

Couldn’t agree more. I’m sure the faithful don’t like the loss, but if you’ve gotta lose, keep it out of the conference and certainly the division.

16. ad28bestever says:
    September 17, 2017 at 6:38 pm

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    I am telling you right now, Trader Rick does his thing to get extra Draft picks because he has no clue in picking quality Players. If you do not believe me just look at Ricks first round picks the past 4 years.
    Patterson..bust
    Floyd… Bust
    Xavier good pick… luck of the odds like roulette placing many chips on different numbers on one spin..
    Teddy Bridgewater, everybody said his body couldn’t take the NFL…possibly done (love him but…)
    Trae Waynes, today shows he is a 2nd stringer at best.. bust 5th year option will not be offered.
    Treadwell OMG!! BUST Capital B cut him! the roster space is worth more than him. He does not have the intelligence for a WR in the NFL, same as Patterson. All Physical, nothing up top
    Last year Bradford.. taking some time off because his Agent has a better offer for next year….
    Like it or not, you have to look at the facts, Rick has ruined a team that came a whisker from the Super Bowl in 2009, tied the worst record in Franchise history, Totally ignored the O line for Bust/Flash players..

17. lambeaudungbarn Has internet toughguy syndrome. Everyone has their own recovery from any surgery. One person may have no issue with knee reconstruction. Another may be stuck with a cane after police removal. You can’t compare any two surgeries between two people other than state the most common recovery process even though there’s a good chance the recovery won’t be average.

18. For the record, I had a very minor knee surgery in my late 20’s that lead to a bad case of arthritis in less than 5 years. Forget cutting, lateral movement or lunging for that matter. Only the person trying to get through it knows when it doesn’t “feel” right or knows when they feel pain from certain movements.
    No offense but Surgical procedures have come a long way in the past 15 years. Plus Sam has had the very best Drs, rehab, and Post-OP recovery support. It just seems very Fishy that Sam was only Sacked once by the Saints, He was walking around un assisted without limping today. I am saying he is not a running back or Safety/Corner. UNLESS this is a head game by Zimmer thinking if they make it to the Super Bowl, with the Steelers a true contender, giving Pitt as little to prep for????
    But most players of the 40’s- 90’s would play IF they could walk. Today? a hang nail will keep these guys off the field.

19. Jet needs to learn to take a knee on good kick-offs.
    Brooks if he is decent needs to replace Waynes
    The D needs to start creating turnovers.

These three things could help the Vikings win with Keenum.

20. That flushing sound you hear is the hopes of Sam Bradford to getting yet another BIG contract extension or a BIG free agency contract with the INJURY PRONE LABEL being put squarely on his knee again.