President Trump reiterates his point, via Twitter

Getty Images

On Friday night, President Donald Trump told the attendees of a rally in Alabama that NFL owners should fire any “son of a bitch” who disrespects the flag. On Saturday afternoon, he repeated his message, without the profanity.

“If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem,” Trump said. “If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”

For the NFL, there’s no rule requiring players to stand for the anthem and, in turn, no authority to fire a player who chooses not to do so. So the NFL can’t fire a player who doesn’t stand. (But, of course, it can shun the player who helped the others realize the power of peaceful protest, as long as it can get enough people in the media to spread the idea that he’s being shunned only for football reasons.)

It’s unclear why the President decided to repeat what he said last night. It’s possibly an expression of defiance in response to those who have objected to his message, including the NFL, the NFL Players Association, and multiple players.

It’s possibly also an effort, as suggested earlier, to ensure that the protests spread on Sunday and Monday, which will in turn cause the objections to the protests to spread.

81 responses to “President Trump reiterates his point, via Twitter

1. If a player has the right to protest the anthem then people have the right to criticize the move. Simple as that.

2. This is the attention the NFL desperately wanted to avoid.

Now you can’t, so let’s see how you screw this one up Goodell. Hopefully the attention is so much Goodell is fired and the NFL takes a MASSIVE revenues hit.

3. Massive ratings fail coming. The players will take knees and 62 million will find something else to do on Sunday.

4. I hope every player in the league takes a knee. Coaches, officials, and fans too. Send the message to that tangerine tinted trash fire that the 1st amendment still exists and we will exercise our right to use it!!

5. The NFL is most definitely headed down a bad and dangerous path with this whole thing. I’d be much surprised if this doesn’t have a worsening and lingering ill effect on the league.

6. Trump has long had a beef with the NFL, going back to the USFL days. He is intentionally stoking the political flames in order to spur further fan backlash toward the league. He laughs as the NFLs ratings tank.

7. the bottom line for the nfl is Money – most of the folks who are carping about this do not give money to the nfl…watch what happens now with regular folks – be careful what you ask for nfl…

8. Protest on your own time, not during work. I’m not tuning in on Sunday or Monday to be bothered by your politics. I’d like some escapism in my life, and if I can’t get it in the NFL I’ll find it somewhere else.

9. Lower attendance, lower tv ratings coming soon! People awakened to multi-millionaire black players protesting the flag while fans pay high tix prices, parking, and concessions. The party’s over and the black players will need to get a job.

10. i am navy veteran myself and do not agree with people not standing for our anthem. That’s what makes us great, we can all express ourselves and our opinions freely. There are also consequences for the things you do and say. There is a reason people risk their lives to be an american, there is no better place in the world to live. God bless the USA!

11. Ratings are in a free fall. Last season they blamed the election , now they are blaming hurricane coverage. Everyone knows the real reason and the ratings slide will continue.

12. Why did he repeat himself? Because he is mental and craves attention always. Every neighborhood has that crazy old person who yells ridiculous stuff. For some reason we made one president instead of calling for the straightjacket.

13. I’d support even the the Patsies long before I’d support trump. At his age you’d think he’d have matured by now.

14. While you’re all busy being worked up about this the real powers are moving us all closer to WW3

15. This seems like trolling by Trump; and the NFL will play into his hands. I think he does want to get back at the NFL for the past. I also think he plans to use increased political demonstrations as a reason to try and strip the NFL of it’s Anti-trust exemption

16. Just President Camacho being his attention grabbing self. The NFL isn’t going to be effected by players protesting and utilizing their rights. Funny how some people say they won’t be won’t be watching the games yet here they are on a football site commenting. What’s next, you aren’t going to check your fantasy scores and lineups? Yeah right.

17. Great…now I can’t watch football without being called a racist…one more thing I used to enjoy, but now I can’t

18. I wonder if Trump was always this brave when he was dodging the draft and throwing our troops under the bus.

19. MostlyRight says:
    September 23, 2017 at 3:43 pm
    ————————————-
    If you need to rely on others for escapism in your life maybe it’s time you went and got a better life.

20. tb12soundslikeavd says:
    September 23, 2017 at 5:03 pm
    ————————————-
    As a Pats fan I hope both Trump & the Patriots destroy any hopes you have…..trump is a waste of flesh & air though…. I’ll give you that much!!!
    Go Pats!!!

21. ncarmchairqb says:
    September 23, 2017 at 3:08 pm
    I would like to see a story on why the NBA has the rule but the NFL does not.
    – – –

It’s because of Mahmoud Abdul Rauf aka Chris Jackson. In the 90s, he wouldn’t stand for the anthem for religious reasons. Shortly after that, the NBA required that players stand, but they also allowed MAR to pray while the anthem was being played.

#takeaknee

22. Can we all, Republican and Democratic and all other persuasions, white, black, young and old, all agree on the simple notion that it’s wrong to elect an unqualified moron to be President of the United States?

I thought that was already an unspoken agreement, but apparently not.

23. Fire them all!

And to show we all support equality in the NFL – let’s fire all black players on an arbitrary basis in order to get their representation in the NFL down to the black male adult population percentage of the overall population.

Yes, let’s have equality!

24. Why does the NFL need to sing the star spangled banner anyway? It isn’t an official public event. It is really an entertainment event—like a concert. There was once a time when sporting events where really public—like high school athletics (and still are). Personally—I think the NFL drPes itself with the flag just like Trump does. The national anthem is over exposed to the point it seems to not mean as much as it used to. We should save it for true public events and playoffs.

25. Trump continues to play folks, in this case the NFL, like a fiddle.

This is a precursor for Trump to go after the NFL about CTE. (You allow ypur employees to disrespect the anthem, flag and law enforcement – we’re coming after you about a legitimate health issue)

The NFL, as you know it today, will not be the same in 4 years.

Book it.

26. I cannot understand why the players continue to want to disrespect their fans. Where were the players doing the off season? Never heard a word about their community involvement other than Kap’s web site keeping people up to date of where he is sending his money. If the players are serious about this cause, get both the public and police involved together. Don’t just say one side is wrong. Say together we can work on improving relationships and then do it.

27. If only he had this kind of passion to speak out against the KKK, neo-nazis and white supremacist down in Charlottesville then I might take his tweets serious…

28. Huh, the President got the NFL and the NFLPA to agree on something.

That is kind of impressive.

29. canetic says:
    September 23, 2017 at 2:49 pm
    So if you make a certain amount of money you cannot have an opinion. Got it.

——–

People are entitled to their opinion…..on their own time. These guys are at work and therefore should act accordingly. Why is this so hard for you and others to understand? Here’s and idea, why don’t you go in Monday and stage a protest at your job. Let us know how it works out for you.

30. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    September 23, 2017 at 6:00 pm
    He has no right to tell private businesses who they should fire. This is just another case of governmental overreach.
    ————————–

31. So if all you folks stopped watching the NFL because you are upset at the anthem protests, why are you on ProFootballTalk.com? Shouldn’t you be on SoccerTalk.com or RugbyTalk.com? Just asking.

32. Keep the politics out of it. I’m down to watching one team. I used to watch football all Sunday. Now it’s one game a week. Luckily my team has stayed out of this. If they do, I’m out completely.

33. Liberalsruineverything says:
    September 23, 2017 at 6:50 pm
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    September 23, 2017 at 6:00 pm
    ————————–

Would that be exactly like signing a law that makes private insurance companies sell everyone insurance and makes everyone else buy it? Didn’t think so.,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

So let me get this straight. In your world, one president signing a law that legitimately passed through BOTH houses of Congress, makes it okay for another president to think he has the authority to tell private businesses who they should fire? Of course it does.

34. I’m going out on a limb here, But, I’m guessing that those of you whom agree with trump are white, straight, and middle aged. You are scared that you are no longer the majority in this country….

35. Liberalsruineverything says:
    September 23, 2017 at 6:50 pm
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    September 23, 2017 at 6:00 pm
    ————————–

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, it would be like you losing a bet and instead of making good, you went running off, changed your username, and snuck back in thinking no one would notice. We noticed.

36. The bigots could start their own league. They could call it the NBL (National Bigot League) or the Junior Varsity. Has USFL been taken?

37. On 10/26/67 I entered the U.S. Army as a draftee and served my country like millions of others and I consider people who dodged the draft as disrespecting the flag.

38. Anyone who works for or follows or watches the NFL does not love this country. Be patriotic and boycott the NFL. Don’t be a turncoat!
    USA! USA! USA!

39. I watch 1 game per week, my teams game. I use to watch them all, no more. Many people I know are doing the same thing, it is our way to semi boycott the NFL for allowing this garbage into the game. Have you seen the ratings plung from last year, and they thought they were low last year.

40. When he said he liked those that didn’t get caught, talking about American POW’s, he totally lost me! Wheres’ the OUTRAGE? Our POW’s and MIA are NEVER to be disrespected.

4 deferments shows us all we need to know about Trump’s patriotism.

41. They say you can find America in the comments section. What I’ve found from the comments on here today is that people feel sports and politics shouldn’t mix–but only if the politics are not to their liking. What is that really saying, folks?

42. trump caused the demise of the USFL. Then when he attempted to purchase an NFL franchise, the league gave him the cold shoulder, knowing he really couldn’t afford the ownership. Now the petulant 12 year old boy in the 70 year old fat flabby body sees his chance to sow discord and destroy the NFL just as he’s doing with our great country. Like Congress, we need to ignore him.

43. collectordude says:
    September 23, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Trump is still right.
    _________________________

Oh, trump is right (reactionary conservative) but he is also wrong, just as he is on most things.