Cowboys collectively take a knee before anthem, then rise

AP

The Cowboys and Cardinals were among six teams never to have a player protest during the national anthem by kneeling, sitting or raising a fist the past two years. It continued Monday.

The Cowboys stepped onto the field arm-in-arm as a team, with Jerry Jones and his family among them. They then collectively knelt, to boos from the crowd, for a few seconds before rising and going back to the sideline. They stayed standing with linked arms through the national anthem.

The Cardinals, with Michael Bidwill and his family among them, lined up in the end zone, rather than the sideline. They also stood arm-in-arm during the anthem.

The Bears, Vikings, Bengals and Jets are the only other teams not to have a player protest over the past two years, according to the Dallas Morning News.

68 responses to “Cowboys collectively take a knee before anthem, then rise

1. Remember when some NFL players wanted to honor the police officers that were mass shot in Texas and the NFL said no? Or when NFL players wanted honor 911? The NFL had a problem with that too until they caved to public outcry. Disrespect the Anthem? No problem! What a bunch of hypocrites!

2. I know how I feel. My television is off, and will stay off for all sports where the players politicize the game and use their workplace to shove their opinions in my face.

3. clownbaby37 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Never turned a game off so fast
    —————————————————————————–
    1. They stood for the anthem, so why turn off the TV?
    2. An then please explain why you’d turn off the TV but then show up here at PFT.

4. There was so much choreography going on I thought I was watching an episode of Fame.

At some point it would be nice if EVERYONE could just have a normal conversation without having to worry about what social media or the media would say. Discourse isn’t negative, it’s positive (when done in a civilized manner).

5. Thanks to the President being a moron, the protesters were given a platform to bring awareness to their cause that had to this point been unseen. So now, its fair to say that EVERYONE knows about their protest. So now that EVERYONE knows, their goal has been accomplished. They successfully brought awareness. Now its time to put up or shut up. Stop protesting, and take action. Step 1 was bringing awareness. Now its time for step 2. So anyone taking a knee after this weekend is doing it not to bring awareness, but just to be disrespectful. Stop taking a knee, and take action. At least Kaepernick has spent a million of his money to help his cause.

6. I thought that was thoughtfully done, they make their protest, yet still respect the anthem. If we can’t tolerate someone making a peaceful protest, how are we to address the greater differences between us>?

7. Having your cake and eating it too? Preventing players from having an opinion? Or making this all about Jerry Jones? Who knows.

8. I Just Like To Type Comments That Wont Get Published says:

Thanks to the President being a moron,
    ==================================================

I’m sorry, but someone who wears pig socks, praises Castro and says my country is oppressive is a bigger moron.

9. So, what were they trying to say by doing this? Was it a protest? Was it not? Were they being political or not? Seems like you tried to play the middle to make everyone happy. In my opinion, it meant nothing. Thanks, but not thanks, Dallas.

10. Putting aside for the moment whether these protests are right, or wrong, or somewhere in between, I have just one question for the players…

What exactly do you think you’re accomplishing by taking a knee during the national anthem? How is this supposed to help anyone?

11. I love all “I’m done with football” posters who come to an NFL site to tell everyone. These are the same people who post the “I’m thinking of leaving Facebook…” looking for validation of their worth.

12. Whether you agree or disagree with Kaepernick, you have to admit that his tactics have garnered waaaay more attention that most any other protest of any kind.

13. I Just Like To Type Comments That Wont Get Published says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:04 pm
    ————–

Actually professor the protest started last year. Unless you were living on another planet it was hard to miss. President Trump simply stated what many were already thinking….And thanks for creating a new class of people: billionaire morons.

14. Not a fan of the kneeling at all, but at least they did it prior to the anthem. I still disagree with their position, but it at least is less offensive. Can anyone tell me why kneeling for the anthem isn’t disrespectful to the flag/soldiers/our country when other options such as this are available? I would probably tune back in if it was limited to this, but I wouldn’t blame others for staying away. Honestly, I am looking for a reason to come back, but the NFL is making it hard.

15. So are the people who are complaining about the cowboys doing so because they thought they kneeled or because the don’t believe their is any inequality issues?

16. Kaepernick, you have to admit that his tactics have garnered waaaay more attention that most any other protest of any kind.

Lol.nobodybus even talking about the social issue so it’s really a fail

17. You people are pretty sensitive. I know the protest started last August moron. But after the presidents remarks, it brought this whole thing to a new level. It reached a level where the television production made it a point to broadcast the protests. It was talked about on every news broadcast for 3 days. I am not anti trump, but trump made some stupid statements. Should have kept his mouth shut about it. And I’m also not defending kaelernick, but my point is, he made his statement, and he also took action to do something about it. Time for the rest to follow suit. Take action, or your protest was hollow and all about you

18. clownbaby37 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Never turned a game off so fast
    —-
    and one of the first to comment about it. I’m looking forward to hearing how you turn off the next game as well.

19. I long for the day where Americans realise national anthems really only work when competing with other nations.

The anthem at domestic sporting events is as much for the sake of propaganda as anything I’ve seen, and seeing how riled up people get over this is just crazy.

20. Love all these offended snowflakes who have to turn their TV’s off because they can’t handle the big mean players doing something they don’t agree with. These same people are probably sitting in their underwear stuffing their face with nachos while the anthem is playing.

21. “They then collectively knelt, to boos from the crowd, for a few seconds…”

Did the boo-birds then leave the stadium, as Trump suggested they do during his speech on Friday? He didn’t say boos would convince the owners to fire the SOBs, right?

22. Trump loves this stuff. It’s a great distraction for him, while he fails time after time. He knows people will get all riled up and talk about this while his attempt at Trumpcare fails for the second time. If you’re upset, too bad. Lots of Vets and first responders are the first to say they do what they do for the American right of free speech. Something this President doesn’t understand.

23. Why is the NFL linked to the military to begin with? Stop the oversize flags, the troops on the field, the jet flyovers, etc. The pendulum has swung too far from the days of the Vietnam war when soldiers weren’t properly honored or appreciated, to the current situation when anything military is constantly glorified, sometimes to excess.

Just play the anthem and then “Play Ball”.

24. Dallas, you haven’t fooled anyone attempting to kneel before the anthem.

One has but to read these comments to understand how it is race relations in this country are in the tank.

25. So much big talk about turning off the games. Who’s the real snowflakes in this?

This isn’t about disrespecting the military. They did an interview with the guy that Kaep met with on ESPN and he said that’s how he should protest what he wanted to. Look I’m not a fan of Kaep I think he should be on a roster as a backup but not a starter. He’s better than RG3 but he was still a gimmick qb that didn’t have much of a shelf live in the NFL as a starter.

That being said his cause has moved beyond anything I think anyone could have thought. Trump is a biggest disrespect to the military there is. Not only was he a draft dodger he blatantly said a war hero John McCain shouldn’t have been captured. Do people conveniently forget that? What kind of respect does that show to the military.

The NFL does respect military this was never made as an intent to disrespect them. Now Trump has given them a reason to disrespect something and it’s him. I don’t know if it’s just me but I’d rather not have a 70 year old child on Twitter trying to intentionally provoke North Korea. This guy is a joke and the people that support him would never get something like this. Turn off your tv and don’t come back.

26. patsrule59 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:17 pm

—-

Are you still talking about it? Bingo

27. I’d prefer they solved the world’s problems with their cute little protest on their own time, but this is a much better solution than the outright desecration performed by the other 26 teams.

28. You know what’s disrespectful to the American flag? The confederate flag. The flag of the racist losers of the civil war. Let’s start by removing that piece of trash from everywhere in this country.

29. Glad they booed. These clowns deserve every boo they get. The huckster being involved just makes it better.

Crowd Erupts In Anger After Entire Dallas Cowboys Team Kneels Before National Anthem

30. pardonmyjake says:
    September 25, 2017 at 8:40 pm

booing these players for this really is pathetic

I’m so glad I don’t have BSPN.

31. Whether you agree or disagree with Kaepernick, you have to admit that his tactics have garnered waaaay more attention that most any other protest of any kind.

——-

Isn’t it amazing that Trump himself has elevated the cause and protest to levels impossible to achieve without his rhetoric. If he was shrewd like Bannon I’d say he was helping Kaepernick on purpose.

Unfortunately, no. He has no clue. Just trying to divert everyone’s attention whipping his base into a frenzy like usual.

I mean really, this was in Alabama…those people idolize football. Crowd was half Auburn half Crimson Tide. They couldn’t live without their mostly black football players.

32. This is very hard for me to keep up with. As I understand it now, it is not only inappropriate to kneel during the anthem, but it is also inappropriate to kneel adjacent to the anthem. Do I have this right?

What sort of window do we need between a kneel and an anthem or, conversely an anthem and an after-anthem kneel that folks feel appropriate? These are important details.

Maybe the President can just come up with a signal for all of us to use for the flag….like maybe an upwardly outstretched arm, with palm down as a signal we can all know is appropriate. And then, just to be safe, we will transfer his accepted signal away from the flag and point it towards him, so there is no question as to who is being saluted. And, lest there be questions, perhaps a word a two to accompany the signal to make absolutely certain there who we are heiling…..pardon, hailing.

33. If you are on here complaining , your are the idiot!!! some didn’t even read the article and just comment , speak without knowledge , like Trump himself..

THEY STOOD FOR THE FLAG PEOPLE!!
    THEY TOOK KNEE BEFORE AS SHOW OF UNITY!!!

I think they handled it the best this week, no disrespect to the anthem or flag, yet AT DIFFERENT TIME used the only stage they have to show unity..(if you dont like show of unity , than YOU ARE THE PROBLEM WITH COUNTRY NOT SOLUTION)

34. What were the TV ratings for that game? Seems the media is now hiding this information. I bet the ratings were low.

35. I continue to be surprised that the elephant in the room remains hidden – the SPONSORS. Will they withdraw from supporting NFL teams or specific players? Will a retreat by the commercial supporters of teams or players finally force the NFL to realize it MUST separate politics from sport or kill the golden goose? No sponsor can alienate a major portion of its customer base so either eliminate the controversy or watch the salary cap and profits shrink.

36. Step 1 was bringing awareness. Now its time for step 2.

Actually, Step 2 is you (and everyone else) getting involved in solving the issues that were supposed to have been brought to awareness. Instead, Step 2 for you seems to be to say “Ok, you’ve done your little protest thing, now let’s get back to business as usual.”

The secret step was where people who didn’t want to deal with the issues that the protests were geared to bring to awareness decided to co-opt the protest and act as though it was an attempt to disrespect the military. That allowed them to assume some self-righteous indignation based on a false premise…and a ton of other rubes fell for it.

37. ITS TIME THE NFL, OWNERS, COACHES AND PLAYERS
    ALL PAID THEIR FAIR SHARE OF TAXES HERE IN THE USA

It is time for the Federal Government to repeal all “Special”
    tax considerations for the NFL and it’s teams. It is not
    common knowledge, but certain areas of NFL operations
    receive “special tax consideration” that allow them to pay,
    ALMOST NO TAXES AT ALL.

English translation: The Multi Billion Dollar NFL, gets
    discounts on it’s tax rates. Tax monies that then have
    to be made up for by American Taxpaying Citizens.

This is the gratitude the lazy Millionaires and Billionaires
    of the NFL show us. Insults to our Country, our Flag and
    our National Anthem.

IT’S TIME WE MADE THE NFL PAY ! ! !

38. All corporations get tax breaks. Making it sound like only the NFL does plays to the ignorant masses without coming near the truth.

39. i don’t think football players should use the NFL’s platform to selfishly draw attention to themselves and whatever “cause” they are “protesting” for that week

40. Powerful statement by a deeply conservative owner a very red tea party state. Just when you think Trump has hit rock bottom, he continues to dig. What a disaster he has caused.

41. Afraid the Prez is correct, a whole lot of them seek shelter under the shelter of the constitution when they talk the talk, I bet if the situation to defend occurred, there would be damn few willing to walk the walk.

42. I bet if the situation to defend occurred, there would be damn few willing to walk the walk.

You mean like when the Prez got all those deferments to avoid serving in the military?