Getty Images

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart roasted President Trump this morning, saying that NFL players who link arms and speak out on the issues that matter to them are the best of America — and referencing Trump’s infamous Access Hollywood tape in the process.

“Everyone should know, including the president, that this is what real locker room talk is,” said Lockhart, a former spokesman for President Clinton.

That’s an obvious reference to Trump being caught on tape talking about his treatment of women, saying that he can “grab them by the pussy.” When the tapes surfaced, Trump defended it as “locker room talk.”

Lockhart said today that real locker room talk includes the many players who have been speaking out on inequality and criminal justice reform. As Lockhart noted, many players have served their communities by meeting with prosecutors and public defenders to learn more about the system and express their thoughts about how the situation could be improved.

The NFL also takes issue with Trump’s contention that the league has ruined the game by calling more penalties for hits to the helmet.

“The president said something about wanting less emphasis on safety in the game. We fundamentally could not disagree more. These comments represent someone who’s out of touch,” Lockhart said.

Lockhart’s comments make clear that the league is willing to take on the president, after the president took on the NFL.

94 responses to “NFL’s Joe Lockhart: The president should know this is what real locker room talk is

1. This is going to end very poorly for the league.

Remember, you need us more than we need you. We gave you our Sundays. Allowing us to take them back and find something better to do isn’t exactly sticking it to us you know.

2. I don’t think they’re speaking out against anything except what they want to believe, even then, they’re only making a superficial, rude gesture and nothing more. So, if they give the middle finger to the flag, should we be ok and continue to watch? They’re insulting the fans, they don’t care what the fans think, they want to drag the fans into their make believe world of inequality of treatment (all the while that they have achieved protected class status and hundred of billions in subsidies form the government). They’re not open to dialogue or discussion, they just want to keep insulting the fans that spend time and money, until now, at least.

3. Joe Lockhart, former spokesperson for President Clinton, is all I needed to know. The reaction and NFL stance makes so much more sense now. When you hire a former political advisor it is very difficult to keep politics out of your sport.

4. If I went to work and clocked in and then decided to protest something I believe in on the clock I would be fired.

5. I’m conflicted..I used to love watching NFL games ALL day and night on Sunday but have decided to trim my viewing habits. I’m at the point now where I turn the games on around 3:45pm and watch the last of the 1:00 oc’clock games. I then turn it off till the Sunday night game. I’m down to about 2 hours total…far cry from the 7-9 hours I used to watch. I don’t know if I’ll every go back to full viewing.

6. The fact that not one steeler broke rank with hiding and yes hiding in the locker room too stand with their brother veteran of war standing alone in the tunnel is the real problem !

7. Whether you agree or disagree with the player’s statement, this is only going to get worse for the league. The owners should clamp down and stop the displays. Keep it simple. Politics and sports don’t mix. Everyone watching a football game likes football but, no matter what political you belief you have someone will disagree with you. Don’t divide your audience. These players all have a platform to speak to the fans through social media. Keep it off the field.

8. dolfan1 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:44 am
    Protest all you want I’m not watching anymore!
    ————

Doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that your team sucks, does it?

9. This is completely overblown. Kneeling for the anthem is not a skillful means of protest because it offends manly well-meaning people who are not the target of your protest. At the same time, what we saw yesterday was less of a political statement than it was one of togetherness and brotherhood. An attack on one was an attack on all.

Before the divisive rhetoric that set this off there was a smattering of protesters who knelt during the anthem. What we saw yesterday was a group of men from diverse backgrounds linking arms and supporting each other despite what I’m sure were some very strong divergent opinions. I wish all of America was more like that.

10. I’d like someone to do a survey of players who knelt Sunday for the first time. I’d like to know if they were kneeling for the issue of inequality or kneeling because the president said what he did which essentially was telling them they don’t have the right to protest.

They have the right, they chose the wrong time. If Trump said something to acknowledge the issue exists in society while at the same time asked for respect during the anthem the outcome would have been a lot different.

This is why he is dangerous for America. His understanding of the issues in our country are limited to his support base and what he learned about the population as a TV show producer.

11. wiscypro says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:59 am

====================

There is no evidence this has hurt or will hurt the NFL.

Ratings for all TV shows, including sports, have been in decline for years. In 2013-2015, the boom in daily fantasy betting provided brief support for NFL ratings that college sports (including football) and other pro sports didn’t have. The daily fantasy boom ended a while ago. There are plenty of other entertainment alternatives to the NFL and people choose them. NFL, college football, major league baseball, NBA, NHL, etc are just entertainment. Movie theaters have been losing business too. Online gaming barely existed 15 years ago and didn’t exist at all 25 years ago. Same goes for online streaming of what are still called “TV” shows and “movies” even though in many cases they are now originals for the streaming service.

Besides, look at all the guys who spend all day posting on PFT about how much they don’t watch football anymore. Yeah, right. A guy who doesn’t watch the NFL anymore but follows all the news AND comes to a website to post about. Sure you don’t watch anymore…..

12. These cowards who are content with inequality and have a problem with protests think their blip on the radar with regard to ratings will really matter LOL.

YOU DON’T MATTER. SHAPE UP OR GET SHIPPED OUT. We are not our ancestors. This stuff is going to stop one way or another.

13. “Have a nice life, we’ll carry on with out you.”

we’ll still comment on the internet to display our displeasure with the NFL and people who continue to watch. If we “had a nice life” we wouldn’t be wasting time watching the NFL in the first place. we had a waiver from our wives from doing yardwork and chores and shopping and monitoring the kids, now our wives are pleasantly surprised we are helping out a lot more around the house on Sundays

14. dolfan1 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:49 am
    —————————————————————-

How much money do you bring to your company? Exactly. You would be fired because you’re expendable. On the other hand, even the coaches and owners would find it hard to let go of a back up player because every spot on the roster is valuable and it’s difficult enough to find quality players.

15. That was one of the corniest comments I’ve ever heard. I highly doubt that athletes in locker rooms talk about inequality, criminal justice reform, and politics on a regular basis.

16. I love all the guys here saying they are “done with the NFL” but yet have time to post again and again on a dedicated NFL message board.

17. I hope the NFL stops being political soon. I don’t like hearing about politics when I’m watching football.

18. For all of you saying “I’m done with the NFL” or “they are going to regret this”…..The NFL is betting against you and the way you think.

I may actually watch more of the games, even the ones that suck, just to support their position on this issue.

19. pauldeba says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:48 am

I’m with you. If I see a player giving the middle finger to the flag I am done with him. Haven’t seen that yet though.

20. Hey Joe, read your own NFL rules manuel… specifically pages A62-63

“The NFL rule book specifically requires both teams appear on the field for the playing of the anthem, standing, remaining quiet, and holding their helmets in their left hands. Failure to do so can result in fines, suspensions, and the loss of draft picks. ”

Now shut up and enforce YOUR own rules

21. The NFL rule book specifically requires both teams appear on the field for the playing of the anthem, standing, remaining quiet, and holding their helmets in their left hands. Failure to do so can result in fines, suspensions, and the loss of draft picks.

The rules are found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking.

22. For all you fair-weather fans that supposedly stopped watching the NFL, well enjoy!
    I am sure shopping aimlessly with your better half will go stale quickly.
    Or moving furniture in the same room will make you go bonkers, but you had a choice. See you!

23. Ratings tanked last night for SNF. Assume they were down all over the league on the other networks as well. The longer this goes on, the worse it will get for the NFL. Time for the NFL to enforce their own rules.

The next shoe to fall is that Trump will pull military support for the NFL’s fake “Salute to Service” month.

We can only hope that this yuge miscalculation on the part of the NFL will result in Goodell’s ouster. That would be sweet indeed.

24. All the people commenting about fans leaving and not watching because players took knees during the national anthem to protest police brutality and being held unaccountable by the government would have a stronger case to if they were not constantly commenting on a site dedicated to reporting about the NFL. My younger cousins follow Hollywood celebrates and their lives.

They’re constantly on TMZ reading articles and leaving comments. Me? I could care less about celebrties’ lives or TMZ and you know how you can tell? I’ve never left a comment on the site and the only times I ever read articles on the site is if it’s sports related like the Ray Rice assault video. So if you are on here commenting about being through with the NFL please know You’re only lying to yourself.

25. pauldeba says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:18 am
    “Have a nice life, we’ll carry on with out you.”

——–

waiver from our wives?

I cleaned 2 bathrooms and the kitchen yesterday before sitting down to watch the games…not because my wife wouldn’t give me a waiver….but because I live here too.

26. nflviewer says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:12 am

There is no evidence this has hurt or will hurt the NFL.
    ——————————————————————-
    Um, sorry. The ratings are out from yesterday and they crashed. This won’t stop until the players stop. The decline is accelerating.

27. The players, owners and coaches may have shot themselves in the foot. Millions of fans are pissed about the demonstrations yesterday and will exercise their 1st amendment right and quit on the NFL.

28. cardinealsfan20 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:19 am
    How many of these “you can’t do that at work” people are commenting from their office cubicles or while working on the assembly line?
    ————————————————–
    I’ll bet you’re doing the same thing.
    But what do you expect from a cardinal fan? A team that hasn’t won a championship in 70 years.Soon to be 71.

29. mrphelps01 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:04 am

——————————————————————————————
    So the “divisive rhetoric” is what set this off?? Give me a break, the whole thing started with Kaepernick disrespecting the flag which by default is disrespecting our country and military….THAT is what started this.
    The whole thing is beyond ridiculous. And contrary to popular belief, we do not have a constitutional right to freedom of expression, etc. in our place of work! The league needs to put a stop to this. Generally I would agree that there’s no such thing as bad PR, but this is an exception and the drop in ratings just goes to prove it.

30. Dear Fans threatening to stop watching the NFL.
    Stop threatening to go away and just go away already.

Sincerely
    The rest of us.

31. To say I am very disappointed by the actions of NFL players, that I perceive as disrespect to the Flag/National Anthem would be a huge understatement. There has to be a better avenue for protests (which I support) that doesn’t trample on 50% of the countries beliefs, something that is sacred to so many. Take a knee after your team scores, just don’t kneel during the National Anthem. Having watched the NFL for over 40 years I cant remember a time when I thought its time to find another vice for Sundays. I now find myself wondering if the irritation and disappointment is worth it.

32. In metered market numbers, the primetime match-up between the 27-10 winning Washington Redskins and the Oakland Raiders snared an 11.6/20.

The worst SNF has performed this season so far, that’s an 8% dip from the early numbers of last week’s Atlanta Falcon’s 34-23 win over the Green Bay Packers. Gaining cheers and boos from fans at FedEx Field in Maryland last night, the third week of SNF for the 2017-2018 season declined 10% from early numbers of the comparable game of last year on September 25, 2016.

33. dolfan1 says:

September 25, 2017 at 9:44 am

Protest all you want I’m not watching anymore!

***************

I get a kick out of people who go to a football news site to proclaim that they don’t watch the game anymore.

34. Part of the reason why Sunday Night games ratings are down because Direct TV and NBC are in a conflict so millions of people (anyone with Direct TV) do not have NBC right now.

35. If I went to work and clocked in and then decided to protest something I believe in on the clock I would be fired.
    —————————————————————

No, that is completely untrue. If you went to work and they stood and said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, you could sit that out without fear of losing your job (or at least you would have legal recourse if you did get fired). If the President or other government worker tried to influence your boss into firing you for not standing for the Pledge, that would be an infringement on your freedom of speech and/or religion (the later because of the “in God we trust” part of it). It’s really amazing how many people here are ignorant to all of this.

36. Even if the clowns start standing again, the damage is done. We know who they REALLY are now. Nothing can make us “unsee” what we saw yesterday – and probably tonight as well, if anyone actually tunes in.

The messed up thing about it is that the teams that had the most people kneeling played terribly and took losses. I’m a Raiders fan, and it looked to me like every player on the team not named Derek Carr was sitting on the bench.

This whole thing about “unity” is garbage. They don’t want unity. They want everyone to agree wit them. And that’s NOT unity. It’s known as a bully pulpit. And I’m not having it.

To those here who think “the NFL won’t miss” the people who are boycotting, you’re sadly mistaken. There are enough out there to make this quite painful for owners and players.

This is no joke. The flag is no joke. America is no joke, and it’s not a racist nation. The cops are no joke, and the military is no joke. On the contrary, it’s as serious as a heart attack. – or, more precisely, it’s as serious as an IED.

Yes, they have a first amendment right to choose to protest. That right is kept intact with the blood of our country’s soldiers. They are willing to DIE for it. This is an affront to every family that has lost someone in war. It’s an affront to every cop in the nation and to those cops’ families.

In short, just because they have the right to choose to protest does NOT mean they’re right to protest. REAL men do not mess with the flag. Period.

37. If I were a Dolphins fan, I’d be furious too! Losing badly to the worst team in the league is just embarrassing. Ain’t no way to put lipstick on that pig.

38. No, that is completely untrue. If you went to work and they stood and said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, you could sit that out without fear of losing your job
    ———
    The Pledge of Allegiance is technically a prayer so you would be protected by the constitution if you chose not to abide. When the Government took prayer out of school the pledge of allegiance had to go too. As a child my school recited it everyday up until about the 6th grade. Saying it or not saying it didn’t really impact the day of a kid positively or negatively.

39. Is anybody surprised that this rude and ignorant President decided to pick fight and insult pro sport players. The only question is what is next.

40. So, if they give the middle finger to the flag, should we be ok and continue to watch?

Were you ok when Trump gave the middle finger to Kraft yesterday? Go watch the interview again and pay attention.

41. I did not watch a single game on Sunday. I am not giving up on the NFL completely I am just taking a break while things calm down. I will continue to go to some football sites to see how things are doing. Once politics are removed I will be back. If they are not removed I will just move on. I do not expect my absence to have any affect on the NFL nor do I want it to. If you enjoy this form of politicized sports then more power to you. I just do not, and at the end of the day the NFL is just an entertainment show. If it loses it’s entertainment value then so be it.

42. “It’s an affront to every cop in the nation and to those cop’s families”.

You do realize that 95% of police officers never have to draw their weapons? It is not a more dangerous job than many other occupations. Being a police officer is an occupation, nothing more. It’s worthy of the same respect as any other job, nothing more.

43. The worst SNF has performed this season so far, that’s an 8% dip from the early numbers of last week’s Atlanta Falcon’s 34-23 win over the Green Bay Packers. Gaining cheers and boos from fans at FedEx Field in Maryland last night, the third week of SNF for the 2017-2018 season declined 10% from early numbers of the comparable game of last year on September 25, 2016

——-

so in other words, in a straight-up comparison assuming no other factors, only 8 to 10% of viewers actually agree with Trump and didn’t tune in.

44. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:46 am
    This is going to end very poorly for the league.

—–

Great, you’ll spend time with your family or out walking and won’t have to sit complaining on an internet forum any more. Everyone is a winner!

45. Interesting debate and spin by the NFL. For the last two weeks, ratings have been down because of the hurricanes in Texas and Florida; this week, they are down because of live streaming on portable devices and a fight between NBC and Direct TV. Last year they were down because of the election.
    What will be the excuse next week?

Wake up, NFL, you have a problem.

46. Boom roasted.

Clearly the message of what players were protesting is completely lost on conservatives and so-called “patriots”.

Do any of you actually know what the players were protesting or do you think they are only “disrespecting the flag”?

47. joeychittwood says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:29 am
    Hey Joe, read your own NFL rules manuel… specifically pages A62-63

Now shut up and enforce YOUR own rules

——————————–

That is actually a made up quote promoted by conservatives who wish it was actually in the rule book. Feel free to actually look up the pages in question. The NFL even made an announcement when this all started that players were encouraged but not required to stand for the anthem.

Stop getting all your news on facebook and fox. You will find out the world is different than what you have been told.

48. “I’m not watching anymore” comments from people who are putting effort into posting on an NFL blog clearly illustrate the irony of this situation. “Keep your politics out of my football” from people who can’t separate the fact that the GOVERNMENT has been subsidizing the NFL forever is further irony and painfully reflective of the lack of general education in this country.

49. Seems odd that players supposedly protesting about Liberty and individual rights would do so by denigrating the very flag and anthem that is the world wide symbol for those two things.

Perhaps they really aren’t protesting for Liberty but, as in the case of Kaepernick, for Socialism/Communism?

50. Here’s a little history lesson, how does it work taking on the President of the United States? NFL, keep it up and watch what happens. They will loose their non profit status, TV ratings will drop, stiffer penalties when your players break the law, owners and players getting audited, the party is over.

51. I wonder what happens if the very same players who kneeled, sat or laid down during the national anthem decide to put stickers on their helmets next week to protest their cause….

Go NFL, show ’em what locker-room talk is about.

52. Trump spoke with hyperbole: he can’t fire anybody. And Lockhart is a fool: the only NFL organization level conversation in a locker room in recent memory went like this: ‘What needle gauge was the ref using? I guess we’ll have to TELL him which one he used.’

Three weeks running, am not watching tonight’s game.

53. cardinealsfan20 says:
    September 25, 2017 at 11:30 am
    “It’s an affront to every cop in the nation and to those cop’s families”.

—————————————————————————–
    I hope you remember that when you need a cop.
    Maybe they’ll give you a 3 hour arrival window, like the cable installer.

54. From what I’ve noticed so far, the people who actually are giving up the NFL because of this aren’t the ones ranting & raving about it. They simply stopped watching & only mention it when asked about a game. Maybe my friends are just the exception to the rule, but I think the ranters & ravers are more interested in “look at how patriotic I am” than in actually boycotting anything

55. factschecker says:

There is a Massachusetts General Law that the Pledge be recited at the beginning of the day in public schools. Nobody has to say it along with the leader. But you know it is infrequently recited in MA schools.

56. “I hope you remember that the next time you need a cop.
    Maybe they’ll give you a three hour arrival time, like the cable installer”.

The only thing that I need from a cop is to not shoot me if I get pulled over. Not being a paramilitary unit, or not stopping people for their windows being too tinted, would just be a bonus.

57. So locker room talk is millionaire black athletes talking about the injustice and oppression they say exists in the country they are allowed to make millions of dollars in and the country that just had a BLACK president for 8 years. Gotcha. Also, the locker room talk they don’t do anything about as I don’t see stories of these players actually doing anything to help fix the issues they say exist.

Oh and yes, try and take the stand as though the players are all good classy family men while ignoring how most of them sleep around on their wives and have fathered kids with multiple women. AP is clearly a great role model as was Cromartie with his zillion children with a zillion different women.

It’s like being a liberal means you have to spew forth complete garbage that doesn’t match reality. Very weird.

58. Last week, out of nearly 1700 NFL players, less than 10 took a knee during the anthem (half of one percent). Then Trump decides to pour gasoline on a flicker of a flame and start a wildfire with his comments. Because of this, yesterday over 200 players participated in some sort of protest (about 12%). If Trump’s goal was to make the situation better…he failed miserably.

59. deadspindeluxe says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:57 am
    —————————————————————

============

There is no freedom of speech at a private company. It is true that you can say anything you want. It’s also true that you can be fired for it. If the job requires you to stand for the national anthem, then you stand for the national anthem. If you don’t like it, work somewhere else. If you choose to sit, then the management can make the decision to work somewhere else for you.

It’s really amazing how many people think that freedom of speech is synonymous with freedom from consequence………

60. Taking a knee in a peaceful protest seems a lot more respectful & patriotic than getting Daddy to get you 5 deferments so you can avoid mandatory military service during the Vietnam War.
    #fakebonespurs

61. The amount of self righteous indignation, is unbelievable here. Sprayed in every direction.

There’s so many perfect people on here sitting in judgement of others, and their thoughts, words and actions. With so, so many great and awesome people that apparently do everything right, I simply cannot understand why our country is in this shape today?

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”–George Carlin

62. factschecker says:
    September 25, 2017 at 10:56 am

—————————————————————————–

flat out lie….I have DirecTv and NBC comes in just like it normally does

63. I chuckle every time I read comments talking about how they are boycotting the NFL, yet they keep reading and posting comments on NFL websites. Obviously they haven’t boycotted it at all so its an empty threat.

I also chuckle when people complain that they would be fired from their job if they protested on the clock. The fact is, if you are making your employer loads of money, no matter what job you work at, they will turn the other eye. I guess you’re just not that valuable to your employer.

I’ll never understand Americans! But I love your football and can’t wait for the next game to start. “insert here” bless America.

Its all perspective…life could be worse, you could be subject to Canadian football.

64. I’m gonna have my cake and eat it too.
    Since I think the political atmosphere around the NFL right now is sickening (because I get enough of the real world 6 days a week) I just want to tune in on Sundays and tune out of everything else… if only for 3 hours…
    So I don’t click on any pregame talk shows anymore…
    And I tune in about 3 seconds after kick off.
    I get my football and the political nonsense is limited to announcers bringing it up on occasion.
    I wish Trump would stay in his lane. I wish these football players were real activists and not just millionaire chumps lashing out at a tweet. I wish football was just about football and not about who is gay or who is black or who voted for who….

65. Those who say politics and sports dont mix know nothing about sports and or politics because they do mix. Muhammad Ali and Vietnam, Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, Billie Jean King equality for women, Jesse Owens defeating the master race in the 1936 Olympics, Joe Louis defeating the master race in 1938, and John Carlos and Tommie Smith and Black Power in the 1968 Olympics. Read up and learn something people. People need to get more educated and learn outside of what the school’s history books tell us because that is all they want us to know.

66. Bill Clinton and Harvey Weinstein actually DID what Trump talked about.

Lockhart is the reason the NFL is tanking!!