“No end in sight” for Duane Brown holdout

Getty Images

The Texans continue to play without left tackle Duane Brown, who has missed three games and most likely will miss a fourth on Sunday against the Titans. So when does it end?

There’s “no end in sight,” a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT.

Brown is losing more than $550,000 per week. Coupled with roughly $1.5 million in fines for skipping training camp and the preseason, Brown already is out more than $3 million.

Clearly, he’s committed to his cause. The Texans apparently are, too, as evidenced by the fact that there have been no negotiations since the holdout commenced at the outset of training camp.

So where does it go from here? Under the precedent created by Joey Galloway a generation ago, Brown can show up after Week Eight and most likely still get credit toward satisfying this year of his contract. Or, alternatively, the Texans could trade Brown before the Tuesday after Week Eight to a team that would pay him what he wants — and that would give up something of value to get him.

With rookie Deshaun Watson quickly looking like a potential franchise quarterback, and given that the Texans shipped a 2018 first-round pick to Cleveland in order to acquire him and a 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland in order to get rid of Brock Osweiler, the Texans could use some draft-pick capital. Plenty of teams with crappy offensive lines (it would be easier to list the ones that don’t) would benefit from having Brown.

At a minimum, teams with leaky lines should be calling the Texans about Brown, and the Texans should be listening. Or making their own phone calls.

Regardless, this may be the only way to bring this impasse to a mutually agreeable solution.

34 responses to ““No end in sight” for Duane Brown holdout

1. I keep replying Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem and the whole stadium stood in unity becasue of the USA flag. That is the best version of the National Anthem ever. Everyone stood in unity. Watch the video. We already had unity and now you people are taking it away. I hope this makes it past moderation because every time I bring this up it doesnt make it past moderation. #FreeSpeech

2. Only 18 million over 2 years, with all the negativity in the world I feel the plight of Duane Brown is something we can all unite behind.

3. As a Texans fan I find his actions pretty incredible. He knew the teams hard-line policy of not renegotiating contracts with two years left and he held out anyway. Not sure what he believes is his end game here is but seems obvious to me that he has this bluff bigly….

4. Watson and the OL did just fine without him this past week. Duane is an idiot and is going to lose millions due to his stupidity.

5. .
    The last few drafts have not produced many top shelf tackles. This has left many teams with inferior quality at the position. It’s the law of supply and demand. There’s too many teams looking for too few tackles.

BTW…. Beware of teams sustaining injuries at the tackle spot. They can sink like stones. See Minnesota last year.

6. mrbigass says:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:48 am
    ——————————————

How has he lost his Bluff? The Texans’ record is 1 and 2. And they are about to play a hot TN team and this team could easily be 1 and 3. Not sure what your sign of winning is but right now but sides are losing. Texan’s can’t protect their QB and if not for Deshaun’s escape-ability he would have been sacked way more than he was on Sunday and Duane is losing game checks.

7. If I missed just one day of work without prior approval, I would be shown the door. This guy has already forfeited just this season alone more than I’ve made working for thirty years. Yeah, he’s so oppressed.

8. Past two games the pass rush that got to Watson came up the middle, not left or right. Hard for me to condemn Brown or the Texans. I Just root for the guys who show up to play.

Not overly concerned about the Titans…yet.

9. @ John Baxter

Sure the Texans are in dire need of getting Brown back but what do you think think they should do? Forgive the fines and give him a big raise? No chance McNair does that so not sure of any scenario where Brown comes out ahead….

10. @xdolfan. Yes you might be fired for not showing up to work.

However I’m willing to bet you aren’t one of about 20 people in the world that can do your job well, or one of the top 5 or so people in the world at it.

11. mototax says:
    September 26, 2017 at 11:30 am

Not overly concerned about the Titans…yet.
    ——————

Honest question, is that because perhaps a guard slid out to tackle which weakened the interior OL? I don’t know who is filling in for Brown.

12. john baxter says:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:59 am

mrbigass says:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:48 am
    ——————————————

—————–
    Brown coming back doesn’t affect wins and losses that much. He certainly isn’t in game shape and would still need a few weeks to get back to normal, plus he wasn’t great the last time he played to begin with. At this point he’s not going to make much difference so the best thing would be to just trade him and get something for him.

13. At $9mil/year he hardly fits the definition of underpaid. That has him at worst at probably the top third in the league at LT and he has two years left on his deal, I can’t fault the Texans for telling him to pound sand. Would not surprise me if they trade him away here in a couple weeks just to end the distraction.

In my opinion he started his demand for a new contract a year early.

14. ‘Brown can show up after Week Eight and most likely still get credit toward satisfying this year of his contract.’
    Not quite. NFL teams can hold out a player for three weeks if they have been a hold out. Reporting on week eight would mean Brown would lose the year for his contract. If he is out of shape and not ready to play the Texans should do it.

Brown or his agent have missed judged the Texan’s resolve. When you are in a hole the first piece of advice is to stop digging. His greedy actions have hurt his team, his team mates and his fans. He should be a man and live up to the contract he agreed to.

15. Giants could’ve used him 3 games ago. But our GM is a putz who would never trade and give up on his pick.

16. mazenblue says:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:41 am
    I keep replying Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem…
    ______________________________

Maybe you could try posting your thought to a relevant thread and let those of us who come here to read about and discuss football enjoy the few threads here that are actually about it.

17. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    September 26, 2017 at 12:26 pm
    mazenblue says:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:41 am
    I keep replying Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem…
    ______________________________

——————————–

I feel like I made a similar comment earlier that got “moderated”, a lesser man would feel slighted by this arbitrary application of hidden rules…

18. If he has already given away 3 million, he obviously doesn’t need more money. You are well paid, YOU signed the contract, act like a big boy and honor that contract.

19. I love the idiots that decry “he signed a contract!” The contract isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. The team can void the contract at any time, without compensation, or demand the player ‘re-negotiate it’ because they want to put the squeeze on the player.

When there’s fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL, then I’ll agree with the ‘he signed a contract’ crowd, until then, blow it out your ass.

20. He doesn’t want to play unless his salary is guaranteed … which means he doesn’t want to bet on his own health … which should caution anyone else about giving up anything of value for him in a trade.

21. mazenblue says:

September 26, 2017 at 10:41 am

—————————–
    It was lip synced though! Hate to burst your bubble! lmao

22. Jerry Reese PLEASE go get this guy! If I have to watch Flowers get trucked over one more time, I’m going to puke. If Duane Brown shows up and is 615 pounds with 1 arm, 1 leg and Cheetos hanging out of his mouth, he’s still a better option.

23. He is past his prime and over the last few years often hurt. If the Texans can trade him for a decent draft pick them do it! If they can’t get a decent pick for him then let him sit out all year. Brown is screwing himself, he is getting a year older and if he keeps holding out will still be under contract for another two years.

24. fordman84 says:
    September 26, 2017 at 11:52 am
    mototax says:
    September 26, 2017 at 11:30 am

Not overly concerned about the Titans…yet.
    ——————

—————————–
    Chris Clark, a back up left tackle, is filling in for Brown.

25. Not only is this guy stupid, he is likely to never get a job in the NFL again because of his greed. He should be a man and honor his contract and his word. Nice to see white guys are just as dishonest and unethical as the Anthem Squatters.

26. If the rush came up the middle it was most likely over the LG, Xavier Sua’Filo, he’s a turnstile in pass protection. Jeff Allen was too before he was hurt. Now that Greg Mancz has stepped in at RG the pass rush is back to the outside where Clark is terrible against speed rushers. As a Texans fan if we can get a 2nd-rounder to ship him to New York or Seattle then we should jump at the opportunity. Smith the GM won’t pull the trigger though because he only makes trades with Cleveland that screw us for years to come.