Teddy Bridgewater cleared to practice for first time in 14 months

Getty Images

More than a year after suffering a career-threatening knee injury, Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater can return to the practice field.

Bridgewater was given medical clearance to return to practice today, according to multiple reports. Bridgewater is expected to be on the practice field this week.

It’s unclear when Bridgewater will be cleared for game action. It’s also unclear how much longer Sam Bradford will be out with a knee injury of his own, and what the Vikings’ quarterback depth chart will be when and if Bridgewater, Bradford and Case Keenum are all healthy at the same time.

But whatever questions remain, there’s undeniable good news for Bridgewater today. When Bridgewater suffered his injury in August of 2016, there was talk that it might end his career. It’s been a long rehabilitation process, but Bridgewater is now closer than ever to making a return.

68 responses to “Teddy Bridgewater cleared to practice for first time in 14 months

1. As a close friend of the organization it is apparent that the division is ripe for the picking and that Minn has a great defense to claim what is theirs!

2. nhpats says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:23 am
    Rogers already threw for as many TDs this season as Teddy averages per year!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

3. Bridgewater is practicing, time to order the windex for that SB trophy case up in Minni. You got this now.

4. Vike fans are delusional. You couldn’t even get to the Super Bowl with the best QB in the history of the NFL. You think you’re getting there with Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater?

5. Welcome back, Teddy! I always felt like he was right on the cusp of greatness. Perhaps we never find out. Personally, I think you say Case is the QB today and going forward. Tough to trust Bradford will ever be ok based on what we’ve seen and it’s tough to know where Teddy is at game-wise. I think Case has to give you a reason to bench him.

6. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:33 am

_________

No, and I don’t think anybody has even suggested that. But I like their chances a lot more than a team quarterbacked by Brent Hundley. Or Glenn Hundley, or something like that.

7. I don’t know if Teddy will be the long-term answer at QB. His on-field play showed mixed results, but he showed improvements every year (including last year until he got hurt). Everyone remembers the Walsh miss in Teddy’s last game, but people forget that he took the Vikings 52 yards in 6 plays and 1:20 to set up the game-winning attempt.

What I do know, though, is that Teddy is an outstanding young man who coaches, players, and fans love. He absolutely deserves another crack at this and I wish him nothing but the best. We’re behind you, Teddy.

8. Do not rush him back. If he isn’t absolutely 100%, then let him keep rehabbing and practicing until next year. Even if he doesn’t play another down for the Vikings in his career, I hope he makes it back to play for somebody.

9. Vike fans are delusional. You couldn’t even get to the Super Bowl with the best QB in the history of the NFL. You think you’re getting there with Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater?
    ==============================

Ummm…who?

10. Glad to see that he’s able to start back practicing. But if I’m a Viking fan I’m holding out hope on Teddy being able to be the quarterback of the Vikings future. That was a devastating knee injury he suffered, so who knows what type of player he will be coming back. I’m hoping that he will be able to have a successful career but I have doubt about how his knee will hold up

11. This thread should not be about anything but how good it is to see a good guy come back from a horrific injury. Injuries ate threatening the game of football and seeing TB come back is nothing but good news for football.

12. Congrats, Teddy — it’s like the Greta Garbo movie “Grand Hotel.” — One checks in — One checks out.

Teddy in; Aaron out.

13. Carl Gerbschmidt says:

October 16, 2017 at 11:33 am

————————
    Not ONE Vikings poster stated the Vikings were headed to the superbowl. The posts are only wishing Teddy well. (The post stating to clean the window is sarcasim from a likely upset packer troll)
    You are the one who is clearly delusional.
    I guess in your fake world wishing someone well means we are claiming a superbowl win.
    Get back to your, “13 world titles that I have never ever seen ” mantra.
    Living in the past is all you got this year.

14. That’s great news, I hope he has truly recovered. We shouldn’t have too many expectations given the severity of the injury and the lack of playing time for a season and a half, but it will be good to see him back on the field. Never woulda thought that he’d be healthier than Bradford. And contrary to delusional cheeser proclamations, no Viking fans are predicting Super Bowls given the status of our team’s QBs.

15. jamarcuslives says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:31 am
    nhpats says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:23 am
    Rogers already threw for as many TDs this season as Teddy averages per year!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

————

Look, Teddy seems like a nice kid. But he is not an NFL caliber starting QB and he will not be taking the Vikings or any to team a SB championship. But I guess if your aspirations end at beating the Packers once every few years then carry on!

16. i told you last week. This team is Keenum’s until he either plays downright awful or gets injured. Teddy welcome back there is not a better story in the NFL today than your’s unbelievable determination and strength to get back to where you are. You are an inspiration to me and countless others. SKOL!!!!

17. Welcome back from Packer nation! Never want to see a player get injured, especially something as devastating as what Bridgewater went through (I know a lot of Vikings fans are celebrating Rodgers getting hurt, but we’re better people than they are). Hope he has a long and productive career.

18. I, for one, think this is a great story.

I wish Teddy nothing but the best.

Also, congrats to the Vikes in general. Aaron Rodgers’ injury gives them at least an outside shot at the division.

When Aaron Rodgers is healthy, they have zero chance.

19. Case is the starter. There isn’t any reason for Bradford to take another snap for the Vikings unless he becomes the most healthy QB on the team. A guy with his knee problems doesn’t warrant a long-term deal.

The Vikings will be tempted to see what Bridgewater can do before making a decision about his future with the team. I imagine Teddy returning around Week 13 to spark the team for a possible playoff push. With the current state of the NFC and the North in particular it’s not crazy to think that 9 wins will get you to the playoffs this year.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that the Vikings are going to win the Super bowl this year. I am not claiming that Bridgewater is a Future Hall of Famer.

20. With all the concussions and injuries this year u want to play again. Starting to question the IQ of players and fans.. what is this modern day Gladiator…

21. Great news Teddy can practice again, but also nice to have a capable backup in Case Keenum.

Packers fans will undoubtedly learn the importance of having an experienced backup in the weeks to come.

22. I have to believe he won’t be the same QB now that he will be limited running.

I don’t know why people think of Teddy as some mobile QB. His strengths are his pocket awareness and high football IQ. He is a pocket passer with the ability to make plays with his feet when things break down.

23. Case, Bradford, Sloter no need to rush Teddy. But I do wonder if Bradford is coming back next year now.When healthy Sam is really good don’t get me wrong. His knee just looks chronic and unreliable now.

24. This is a feel good story on a feel good day for the Vikings. I am a bit surprised, however, their fans are choosing to address the Packers in every article instead of enjoying yesterday’s win vs the Pack.

25. Never seen a team so excited to get back a guy who threw 14 TD’s and 9 ints his last season. Hey genius’s, Bradford is light years ahead of TB. That’s why it always tickled me to see these Viking fans using Bradford and Keenum as an excuse. Like TB could come in and do any better.

26. It’s good to see this young man able to practice. The fact that he’s even able to run is pretty amazing given the seriousness of the injury he sustained.

27. “So? Last time Teddy played, he smoked Aaron Rogers for the division crown. Fantasy football is fun and all, but I’ll take the real thing.”

So? When was the last time Teddy won a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl?!?!?
    Btw, a division crown is pretty much useless if it’s not a stepping stone in January… Enjoy that division championship banner!

28. govs127 says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:58 am
    ————————————————————————–
    Says the fan base that is so happy about Rodgers breaking his collarbone. SMDH!!!

29. asgrimsnorrison says:
    October 16, 2017 at 2:39 pm

What about Kyle Sloter? The Vikings made him the highest paid UDFA (uf-da!) in the NFL this year, and you never hear him mentioned.
    ))))))))))
    Because now is not the time to talk about him.This is about Teddy. Sloter is part of the Vikings future. I think you will hear more about him in the off season. I think he is another reason why the Vikings might pass on Sam.

30. As a Viking fan please slow the roll on all the Packer talk/bashing – they got an unfortunate injury and just let it be. Good for the Vikes to pull out the W in the game but c’mon you’re just making us all sounds like d bags. I understand certain Packer fans do the same but just realize football is a sport used to entertain fans and some take it way too far in my opinion, on both sides. Here is hoping Aaron a quick recovery and would love to see Teddy come back and play this year!

31. Depth at QB is a nice problem to have, but I’d stick with Keenum this week for sure and if he has a bad game then you have two weeks (with the bye) for Bradford or TB to surpass Keenum for the job.

32. usdcoyotesfan says:
    October 16, 2017 at 2:49 pm
    govs127 says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:58 am
    ————————————————————————–

No that’s not the fan base. That’s the Viking troll base responding to the Packer troll base that has been blistering in their comments about QB injuries the Vikes have had, and
    constantly boasting about their superior Packer team. When the entire world knew it was the superior Packer QB. That said, Vikes fan here, injuries suck and I have no glee about
    Aaron Rodgers being injured. Could care less about beating Brett Hundley, or whatever his name was.

33. Whether it be Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater, they are not a credible playoff team. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Packers beat them with Hundley next time around.

34. I really think Teddy, if he can return to form physically, will be a MUCH improved QB after getting an opportunity to sit for a year and just watch the game. So many young QB’s get dashed on the rocks by being forced into the starting role before they’re ready, and although I think he was really coming into his own before getting hurt, that time he spent studying the game will really round him out as a starter.

35. tjacks7 says:
    October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
    I have to believe he won’t be the same QB now that he will be limited running.

Because he’s black. Some people assume a black quarterback msut rely on “athleticism” and “ability to scramble”. That was never Teddy’s strength, but it’s hard to see past color for some people.

It’s why every time a white receiver takes the field the announcers will tell you how “they really remind of Jordy Nelson, or a young Wes Welker” regardless of athleticism or route running. They just have similar pigment, so they must have the same qualities at that position.

36. minneanderthals says:
    October 16, 2017 at 12:42 pm

When Aaron Rodgers is healthy, they have zero chance.
    /////////
    Yes. You have to go all the way back to 2015 to see the Vikings beating a healthy AR for the division title. Or, 3 out of the last 4 meetings.

37. Happy for Bridgewater…kid busted his butt to get back and that day is close. Not hard to be happy for a competitor regardless of team affiliation, with that kind of heart.

Go Pack.

38. I want to thank the packers fans that have stayed they are happy to see a young up and coming qb be able to return to the field. i would rather celebrate a Vikings win over a fully capable packers team than a win when Rodgers is injured.

rodgers going down for the pack is worse than. Probably any other team as the drop off in qb talent is massive for them. For Vikings the loss of dalvin cook is probably worse for us than if Bradford doesn’t play for the rest of the season. Am hoping Rodgers is back before end of season with the chance for the Vikings to beat them so packers fans don’t have an excuse.