Seahawks score final 24 points, leave Jersey with 24-7 win

Getty Images

The Seahawks were sloppy for much of Sunday’s game and they blew several opportunities to put points on the board in the first half of the game, but it ultimately didn’t matter because the Giants offense wasn’t able to hold up its end of the fight.

After falling behind 7-0 in the first half, the Seahawks scored the next 24 points to leave MetLife Stadium with a 4-2 record. The final blow came when Russell Wilson hit tight end Jimmy Graham from a yard out with 2:14 to go to cap a 12-play drive against an exhausted Giants defense.

The Seahawks had three drives that went at least 11 plays, gained 426 yards, held the ball for nearly 35 minutes and ran 70 offensive plays over the course of the proceedings. The Giants, playing without their top three wideouts all game and without right tackle Justin Pugh after a back injury, had nothing similar going on and their last hope of coming back died on back-to-back drives in the second half.

Aldrick Rosas missed a 47-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter, but the defense forced a punt that kept the score 10-7. Eli Manning was stripped of the ball on a sack by Jarran Reed on the next series, however, and Frank Clark recovered to give Seattle the ball on the 38-yard-line. Despite the efforts of Giants safety Landon Collins, Wilson hit Paul Richardson for a touchdown on the next play and it was pretty much academic from that point.

Wilson was 27-of-39 for 334 yards and three touchdowns overall and was able to move the ball well even when penalties, drops and a turnover were keeping the Seahawks from cashing in. They ran 30 times for 105 yards to further ensure the Giants defense was gassed by the end of the game.

Manning was 19-of-39 for 128 yards in another rough outing for the undermanned Giants passing game. Their strong work on the ground didn’t return after last week’s victory over the Broncos, which left them without anything to rely on offensively. They have a bye next week and wide receiver Sterling Shepard is likely to return when they get back to work, but the Giants are more than one man away from having a strong offense.

The Seahawks will be home for the Texans in what promises to be a far stiffer test for their defense.

34 responses to “Seahawks score final 24 points, leave Jersey with 24-7 win

1. I’m not surprised they lost they’re a bad football team and I get Eli has no one to throw to but to take sacks instead of throwing ball away and fumbling it away is something he’s been doing for yrs. It’s the same guys getting hurt Goodson ,Pugh Hart limping at end of game which is no big lost because he’s a terrible player who thinks he’s best RT in league he belongs in concussion protocol.

2. Eli is an old man back there. Unless you have a good Oline and all your now injured receivers healthy, an immobile not wanting to be touched inaccurate QB is going to look BAD.

3. Injury depletion to the WR corp is one thing but there is no acceptable reason for that pitiful excuse for an offensive line and the middle school play calling. Unless of course Reese has a huge life insurance policy on Eli, then it makes all kinds of sense.

4. Sloppy is an understatement. I stopped watching in 1st quarter after they handed it off on 2nd and 26 (after using 10 plays to not score from the 9 yard line).

5. Sloppy is an understatement. I stopped watching in 1st quarter after they handed it off on 2nd and 26 (after using 10 plays to not score from the 9 yard line).

——

Typical East coaster. And then tomorrow you’ll tell everybody that you watched the game and the Seahawks suck. Probably just a fantasy football player anyway no big deal you wouldn’t know what you were looking at if you saw it anyway.

This is a second half team.

Truth is if this Seahawk team can clean up the drops and fumbles and a few penalties this game would have been 45-0. You didn’t watch it though so you wouldn’t know that yet here you are talking being disrespectful. That’s what new guys do.

The Giants defense is actually supposed to be pretty good.

Seems to me the future for the hawks this year is bright and the defense is there already.

6. jmethane says:

October 22, 2017 at 8:29 pm

——

This is a second half team.

The Giants defense is actually supposed to be pretty good.

—————————————-
    Wow, I have never seen a single post from you in the 10 years I have been on this site. I have been very vocal (again, on this site) about how fed-up I am with Bevell. Many agree with me. I was born at Tacoma General Hospital in 1980 and raised in Portland, OR. I have never been a fan of another football team, even when John Kitna or Rick Mirer was our QB. I do have better things to do with my time than watch Wilson bail out Bevell yet again. He got 300 plus yards in spite of the bad play-calling on broken plays. The only good play call was the “trick play” I watched on ESPN. I will never claim I watched a game that I didn’t. As a matter of fact I just publicly pointed out that I turned off the game in protest. One last thing, I don’t have a fantasy team.

7. Yeah I’m sure the Seahawks defense is sweating bullets over a rookie QB with 1 receiver and no running backs. They’ve given up 18, 10 and 7 points in their last 3 games. The Texans won’t catch a whiff of 20 points

8. The Giants are terrible. Blowing opportunities like that will cost them against good teams. SEA won’t win another game this year.

9. So sick of hearing what a class act Wilson is. I wrecked that dude when he was in college at Wisconsin. In 2011 my buddies and I went there to watch our South Dakota Coyotes play his Badgers. After the game we were at a bar when this punk showed up acting like he owned the place. We ignored him until he came over to our table and thought he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him respect. Him 5’11 200 lbs. and me 6’6 250 lbs. I put him in his place very quickly. I’m just glad nobody took a video and posted it on any social media.

10. usdcoyotesfan says:
    October 22, 2017 at 10:09 pm
    ————-

Sure you did Mr. Keyboard Tough Guy…..Sure you did……smh…

11. usdcoyotesfan says:
    October 22, 2017 at 10:07 pm
    **************************************

That’s as accurate as that sea story you keep reposting about intimidating Russell Wilson.

12. Wow, I have never seen a single post from you in the 10 years I have been on this site.

——-

Haha ok…*eyeroll*

Go watch a replay of a Sounders game or something. Maybe that suits you more.

Big paragraph about nothing. You have made zero impression on me in the many years I have been here, don’t recognize your name at all.

Keep digging, born and raised in Tacoma apparently but can’t even get through the first series without turning it off and then talking crap about the team later in a comment section even though they came back and dominated.

You know how you sound?

13. RegisHawk says:
    October 22, 2017 at 7:32 pm
    They wouldn’t have had the 7 if Rawls hadn’t fumbled.
    ———
    Hard to say for sure, but definitely seems that way.
    Blanking them on their own field for the second consecutive time would have been quite a feat and that would have made 4 shutouts today. Perhaps unprecedented, but I’m not going to bother looking it up based on a hypothetical.
    #ThanksRawls

14. The ‘Hawks have now won 3 in a row. They lead the League in average points per game given up by their defense (once again). They are undefeated in the NFC West (a whole 2 games) and hold the tie-breaker over the Rams. They will probably be 7-2 when they face Atlanta. That should be an exceptional game.

Do they look bad in the first half of each of their games? Yep. However, they always play 2 halves in the NFL. The ‘Hawks have the second best regular season record since Wilson joined the team. They have 2 trips to the Super Bowl and 1 win in that same time span.
    And they are going to be there once again, right in the thick of things with an excellent chance of going to the Super Bowl again.

15. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    October 22, 2017 at 7:56 pm
    ——————
    You do know that Seattle’s O-line is ranked by PFF at #32 for the second year in a row, and that Bevel is still the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator, right?

16. The only good play call was the “trick play” I watched on ESPN. I will never claim I watched a game that I didn’t.

———

So you didn’t watch the game but you know the only good play? Right then.

17. The Packers are terrible. Blowing opportunities like that will cost them against good teams. GB won’t win another game this year.

Fixed it for you.

Oh, and I think it’s more likely RW came into the bar, told you to get out of his booth, and you did so without so much as a whimper.

18. Totally agree with jmethane…you’re nothing but a bandwagon fan if you’re turning it off in the first quarter. If you can’t be true to your team through the tough times, don’t come back in here giving them love when they dominate…which they did btw, squawkduck, but you missed it while “protesting” lol

19. “So sick of hearing what a class act Wilson is. I wrecked that dude when he was in college at Wisconsin. In 2011 my buddies and I went there to watch our South Dakota Coyotes play his Badgers. After the game we were at a bar when this punk showed up acting like he owned the place. We ignored him until he came over to our table and thought he was going to “whoop on everyone” for not giving him respect. Him 5’11 200 lbs. and me 6’6 250 lbs. I put him in his place very quickly. I’m just glad nobody took a video and posted it on any social media.”

I’ve come to believe this post is the Seahawks good luck charm. Thank you.

20. Seahawks did what was expected. Nothing to brag about. Giants have pride like any group of men, they got their pride win last week but they just don’t have the talent to compete on a weekly basis.

Lots of prognosticators had these guys winning the East and a few even had them going to the super bowl. Wow. Dumb.

Seahawks are lucky to get Houston at home. Don’t sleep on the Texans as they also have a monster defense, so it is likely their offense will have plenty of opportunities to put up points. If the Seahawks come out slow against the Texans, they may dig themselves a hole too deep to climb out of.

And while 4-2 feels good after a slow start, that is good for a 4th place tie in the NFC, and 4-3 Green Bay breathing down their neck while holding the tie-breaker. Lots of games left to play, lots of improvement needed from the Seahawks if they want to make another serious title run.

21. usdcoyotesfan says:
    October 22, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Welcome back, Uncle Rico! Still jort weather in South Dakotee?