As backup RB, Ty Montgomery might play special teams again

Getty Images

It appears Ty Montgomery got Wally Pipp-ed. Since he went out with a rib injury on the first series against the Bears in Week 4, rookie Aaron Jones seized opportunity . . . and the starting job.

In his two starts this season, Jones has 36 carries for 256 yards and two touchdowns. He played 44 of 50 offensive snaps Sunday against the Saints, while Montgomery got seven snaps, four carries and 6 yards.

“Ty Montgomery is an outstanding football player,” coach Mike McCarthy said, via Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “This has never been a one-man deal with running backs. I look for Ty to just keep going. Aaron has done some really good things. Aaron needs to be better on third down, frankly. He did a great job on first and second down. Ty Montgomery is still a big part of our offense.”

Jones, though, will continue to start and continue to get most of the reps and most of the carries. That means, as the backup running back, Montgomery might have to play special teams again.

Montgomery was the starting kick returner for the Packers during his rookie season until an ankle injury, and he blocked a punt as an interior rusher in 2016.

“You read my mind,” special teams coordinator Ron Zook said. “I don’t know what offensively the plans are yet, but that’s something I made a note to talk to coach about. Ty’s a pretty good special teams player, as well. He’s a powerful guy. He blocked a punt at Minnesota last year, and he did a good job on the kickoff team and did a good job in returns. It’s something that we’ll lobby coach for, and we’ll see what happens.”

38 responses to “As backup RB, Ty Montgomery might play special teams again

1. Montgomery is a useful swiss army knife type of guy. He’s a good backup RB and third down blocker/receiver, and may be needed next year again as a WR if they elect not to re-sign Cobb. But Jones has burst and decisiveness as a runner that Montgomery lacks, and is the obvious choice as starting RB.

2. This isn’t article specific, per say, rather a compliment.

Thanks to, “Charean Williams” for joining this team of sports journalists. I appreciate your writing style & reporting rather than trying to lead the reader to a conclusion.

3. I liked Montgomery more as a slot receiver than RB. He added 10lbs of muscle this past off season. Use him as a receiver in the backfield. If nothing worse, put him in motion to see where the man 1 defenders have assignments or to clear a LB out of the middle. That opens holes for a TE or slot receiver across the middle.

4. Where are all the commenters who spent the last year telling us Montgomery is an all-world running back? Now he can’t even start ahead of a rookie fifth-round pick?

I’m beginning to think Packer fans aren’t as good at talent evaluation as they’ve been telling me.

5. allight59 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm
    Aren’t all the Packers back ups if you really think about it? Can’t think of one starter I would want as a Viking…
    ////////
    That’s actually a very good point. Certainly not anybody on the defense, as the Vikings are cruising there. Now, perhaps you’d say Jordy Nelson. But, I think there’s about to be a big question mark on that entire unit. Did Rodgers just make all of them good? Because certainly last Sunday wasn’t any indication that any of them make their QB better. Maybe Adams as a third WR?

Their injured O-line? Nope, none of them. Obviously not their carousel of WR/RB/Special Teams dude, and/or rookie RB with 2 games under his belt.

So, it could be a serious discussion. Who would you take on the Vikings from the Packers right now? Nobody might be a real answer. Certainly not their coaches or GM.

6. Mike McCarthy has always been in love with having a receiver coming out of the backfield to exploit mismatches against LBs in the passing game.
    I’m very pleased at the early production A. Jones has shown rushing the football, but I’m not convinced that McCarthy’s prepared to let go of his favorite concept.
    It’s great that you can use Montgomery in a variety of ways.
    Whatever it takes to get this offense rolling again.

7. In Teddy We Trust says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:30 pm

////////
    I went to the Green Bay Press Gazette website, just for some laughs. But nobody was there! There were like 4-6 comments per story. And those were just pathetic. Have you ever seen a fan base disappear so fast in your life? Even the Raiders fan base is more dedicated, and they know they’re losing their team!!

Biggest band wagon fans in all of sports.

8. wafflestomp says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:36 pm
    It’s great that you can use Montgomery in a variety of ways.
    Whatever it takes to get this offense rolling again.
    ///////
    Jones is a poor mans Adrian Peterson. He’s going to get decent numbers, but with less wins than the Vikings had featuring AP. Let that sink in for a while…

9. wafflestomp says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Whatever it takes to get this offense rolling again.
    ////////////
    Everybody here knows the answer to that question. Even you. But saying it might actually break you. Because he isn’t coming back this year.

10. Montgomery, was bragged up by Packer fans as being an outstanding RB – better then any other RB in the division – the same way it was claimed that Hundley would start for any other team in the NFC North.

What we have learned is that the Packer fans, coaches and GM know little about football talent.

11. wafflestomp says:

Whatever it takes to get this offense rolling again.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is rolling – downhill and picking up speed on the way down to the bottom of the NFC North.

12. Amazing how the Packers coaches and GM suck.
    8 consecutive years in the playoffs
    A super bowl trophy
    Possible offensive ROY
    and this coming from a group of trolls who’s team has won nothing but off-season championship

13. irishgary says:
    October 24, 2017 at 6:01 pm
    Amazing how the Packers coaches and GM suck.
    8 consecutive years in the playoffs
    A super bowl trophy
    Possible offensive ROY
    //////
    You’re right. That wasn’t Aaron Rodgers. The best regular season QB in the history of the NFL had nothing to do with any of that. As a matter of fact, since he’s only one player, your amazing Packer coaches and GM and team won’t skip a beat. I mean, if we ignore the last two games, and we squint real hard, and get amazingly drunk, we just might believe that.

14. allight59 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm
    _______________________________

On defense, Daniels is a stud. I’d take him playing next to Joseph in a heartbeat. I also like their rookie CB, King. He hasn’t been on the field much yet, but I think he’ll be better than Tray Waynes. I’d also take HaHa over Sendejo, and maybe Martinez over Gedeon, but he’s still young.

On offense, Jordy would look great as a 3rd WR. And whoever their LG is has to be better than Easton. But that’s about it.

15. Well they gave Montgomery a chance and the start in Minnie and obviously he started by jumping around in the hole and not beating anybody. They went back to Jones and Jones started the last game and was a big time success. Now they need to find a creative way to use Monty including special teams and out of the backfield – he is the change of pace guy. And he can become a good one if he just sets his mind to it.

16. Poor Conor, you’re in such a tizzy because the Packers are probably not gonna win the north, but to get all excited about a team with no offense who will probably finish second in the north is comical.

17. conormacleod says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:41 pm
    In Teddy We Trust says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:30 pm

////////

Biggest band wagon fans in all of sports.

/////////////////

San Antonio Packers

18. “This has never been a one-man deal with running backs. Just with QBs,” coach Mike McCarthy said, via Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

19. Ty Montgomery was never a real RB – always was and always will be a “slash” guy. A good one, though!

20. It is very obvious that Vikings fans are not used to having any success. They were 5-2 last year as well folks. Let that sink in…..

It is actually a little refreshing being the underdog in everyone’s eyes for once, not nearly the pressure the Vikings will be facing. We have all seen the results when they are crowned to early. Good luck, you will need it.

21. In Teddy We Trust says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:30 pm

////////

Biggest band wagon fans in all of sports.
    ——————————
    That’s odd. I was at the game on Sunday and Lambeau was packed with Packer fans.
    Sold out in fact.
    Just like it will be at our next home game, and the game after that, and the one after that……….

I’ve been a lucky fan.
    I’ve been fortunate enough to attend Packer games throughout their NFL dominance in the 60’s.
    Through some terrible rosters and dismal seasons in the 70’s and 80’s.
    Until I was finally awarded my season tickets in the late 90’s after just 25 years on the waiting list.
    Saw some great games, enjoyed some raucous times with family and friends.
    And even made a few new ones.

But you know, it’s those lean years when we all came together as fans that make you truly appreciate the love you share for your team.
    Band wagon fans? Hardly!
    But thanks for all the sleuthing you did on a newspaper message board.

We persevered through those hard times.
    We did it together.
    It was never easy, but we endured them, suffered through them, together.

We never got angry and bitter.
    Never blamed everyone else for our team’s misfortune.
    We weren’t childish or delusional blaming hexes and curses.
    We owned it.
    And honestly, it’s those low points, it’s those rough patches that truly makes you cherish the journey to the top.

And then it finally happens, once gain, just like the time before.
    It’s that sweet, perfect feeling when the team you cheer for, live and die for, reaches the very top, the pinnacle, they’re the NFL’s best.
    Hoisting that Lombardi trophy for the whole world to see.
    Surely you can understand exactly what I’m talking about…..Oh wait.

22. beer4guy says:
    October 24, 2017 at 6:16 pm
    allight59 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm
    _______________________________

********

Agreed about Daniels. He’s good. I think anyone would take Ha Ha over Sandejo, but that’d be way too expensive with Harry back there as well.

23. Allight….or whatever that name was

Really? Not one? I think there are a handful that would be upgrades for the Vikes. Wouldn’t you rather have Bulaga at RT, or Bak at LT and move Rieff back to the right? Perhaps an upgrade over Gedeon in in the base D? And Burnett or Dix opposite Smith? How about picking one of those CB instead of Alexander in the nickel?

Homerism at its finest. To say that the best players on one team would be backups on the one you cheer for. You sound like coyote boy…..