Kaepernick has $1 million book deal

Getty Images

Colin Kaepernick doesn’t have a job in the NFL, but he’s getting paid.

PFT has confirmed that Kaepernick has signed a book deal, but we’ve gotten none of the specific details, yet. According to the New York Post, the arrangement with Random House is worth more than $1 million.

Kaepernick previously has been meeting with publishers regarding the project. It’s unclear what the focus or format of the book will be.

Kapernick has been in the process of donating $1 million to a variety of worthy causes over the last year, so if nothing else this will replenish his personal bank account at a time when NFL money may not be coming, any time soon.

Unless he donates the book proceeds, too.

142 responses to “Kaepernick has $1 million book deal

1. “It’s unclear what the focus or format of the book will be.”
    ==

Good one.
    No doubt it will be “Colin Kaepernick: Baking on a Budget.”
    I mean, what else could he possibly write about?

2. This is knee slapping, who wants to hear from an entitled athlete who handed away millions in guaranteed money to become a martyr ?

3. He should be on about 32 NFL teams he is better than most starting QBS and all back ups. Should be starting for the 49ers dont @me #GoNiners #NobodyhasitbetterthanUS

4. Most of the posts come from people with not even 10% of the courage of Colin. He could have been wiser and played longer and not mixed business and personal issues but it did not work out that way……….

5. I hope he has the sense to have someone else write it. He himself does not know his causes that well and makes mistakes. His goal has been more to throw jabs and criticisms than to speak to a plan for betterment. If the book is going to read that way he needs to be extra sure to have his facts straight because those he takes shots at will be watching for anything they can use.

6. It’s sure to be Kaepernick’s version of Hillary’s book “What Happened”.

Just like Hillary, Colin will blame everyone else and not take responsibility for his own actions.

7. ctiggs says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:17 pm

————–

He “was” better. I don’t think that’s how he played last we saw him, and I highly doubt he’s gotten better since then from sitting out. Nobody even knows whether his surgically repaired body will hold up.

8. Colin Kaepernick: The Heartbreaking Story of a Man Who Grew Up in a Privileged White Family, went to College on a Full Scholarship, and Made Millions of Dollars Playing a Game

9. sirjoeshmoe2015 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm
    I can’t wait to not buy that book! Thou it could come in handy if I ran out of TP!——————————————————————————————————- So if we do not buy this book….does that make us racist?

10. I highly doubt that the book will be about the fundamentals of being a good QB, because Kaepernick himself never learned those.

11. 99% of you speak as if you’ve a moral high ground. No you don’t. Especially after voting a man into office who ran on a racist dog whistle platform. Patriotism my a$$.

12. Love how folks are rooting for this guy’s demise and he keeps coming back, can’t wait to see the reaction when the book debut #1 on the best sellers list…keep rooting against folks it always backfires…love it….

13. Good business decision on his part, 49ers contract 14 million in which he opted out of to pursue his dream deal of a 1 million dollar book deal, this man is brilliant!

14. ctiggs says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He was on the 49ers and opted out of his contract. After being benched for Blaine Gabbert – maybe he should have offered to renegotiate his deal.

The Vikings have played 6 of 7 games with their backup QB and are 5 – 2. There is no way they want or need Kaepernick.

No rational person would try and say that Kaepernick is better than Keenum.

15. smitty113 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:11 pm
    Only 13 million to go to make up for the guaranteed money he gave up by opting out. Lmao.
    ————
    LMAO!! Bet that book deal is a helluva lot more than you’ve ever made! Especially before the age of 30!

16. ctiggs says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:17 pm

—————-
    Uh no. He stinks. Whatever you think of his politics good or bad they do not make him a good football player.

2 8 Rate This
    internetcommenter7 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:18 pm
    A lot of negative feedback coming from people who can’t read books in the first place

————————

If they couldnt read they wouldnt be able to post. Sorry for pointing out something so stupidly obvious but it seemed neccesary.

17. 250dollarnflowner says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:20 pm
    I don’t think Kaepernick fans read many books.
    —————-
    I don’t think Kaepernick haters read many books either.

18. “Most of the posts come from people with not even 10% of the courage of Colin”
    ============================
    I don’t know about that, I had the courage to VOTE, serve in the military in combat, and work with young people to try to keep them from getting shot by cops(use common sense).
    What have you done to show your courage?

19. You won’t have to buy the book, a different chapter will be on this site daily.

Chapter one: Why are the NFL Stadiums half empty?

Chapter two; Why did the salary cap come down?

Chapter three; Who stole my 14 million?

Chapter four; How do I prove collusion?

Chapter five; Why aren’t pig socks part of the NFL game day uniforms?

20. smitty113 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:11 pm
    _________________________________________________

Kaepernick gave up his guarantees and reworked his deal to get on the field convinced he could showcase himself and get top tier starter money. The truth is funnier than the lie but yet lie persists.

21. Title…… ME , by Neil Downer a.k.a Colin Kaepernick
    It’s a coloring book with diagrams on how to kneel properly.

22. Shinnbone says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:35 pm

—————————————————————
    I guess you don’t understand how book deals work. He stands to make much, much more if it sells well.

23. So if someone boycotts the NFL in order to make time to read this book…….gee, I dont know where to go ftom there.

24. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:44 pm
    smitty113 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:11 pm
    _________________________________________________

—————
    Kaepernick was going to be cut anyhow, he had already been told he was not in the plans. He did decide to opt out because he preferred ‘resigning over getting fired’ like a lot of us do. IMHO he was getting put off the team for being a bad football player and not for protesting, but yes he was getting put off the team against his will. So the opting out I will admit a red herring, Im no Kaepernick fan but I do like to keep the facts straight.

25. “My struggles being raised by adoptive white parents in a loving supportive environment that I appreciated until I had to impress my racist girlfriend”

Catchy.

26. ctiggs says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:17 pm
    =======================================================
    OK Kap….when did you open your WordPress account?

27. Why do we have to keep hearing about this doorknob? Seriously, PFT. Have you seen attendance? What he started isn’t well received. The damage to the fan base is continuing.

28. Some people don’t understand or refuse to read and understand the fact that he “opted out” because the 49ers told him they were going to release him. He was NEVER going to get that money. All other criticisms of him may be valid. The “he opted out” garbage is not.

29. Have you heard this guy try to speak? Hope he can write better than he talks, or his editor is going to have a LOT of work to do…. Who would read his garbage? Does ANYONE still care what this cop-hating, Castro-loving jerk thinks or says? Good luck with this one, Random House….

30. boiler72 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm

He should move to an over-globalized craphole like western Europe, and write his fake news there.
    —-—————————-

Spoken like someone who only watches Fox News, and has never actually been to Europe.

31. The caddie motto is “show up, keep up and shut up”. When he played he didn’t always show up, couldn’t keep up with the scoreboard and couldn’t shut up. He’s lost the trifecta. I didn’t think he was a bad QB the last year, just not that good. Teams can find not so good QB’s as back ups who don’t cause locker room issues. Can you honestly say he wouldn’t? Teams worry about their locker rooms. That’s why he’s now a writer.

32. Maybe he’s going to write about “How I Lost $14.5 Million Dollars After I Said I Would Now Stand For The National Anthem As All Race Problems Were Solved”.
    I would buy that book tomorrow.

33. Kaepernick will go down in history as a famous civil rights leader. An American hero who also happened to win an NFC Championship and lead a team to the super bowl as an NFL QB. Playing NFL QB at a championship level is one of the hardest things to do on earth. He’s already mastered that, now he’s onto helping people. A true saint.

34. Moron or not, but for someone to comment he is better than lots of starters and all of the back ups???? Not a chance I would take him over Matt Moore!!

35. He likely would be better than a good handful of current back ups. He can run and make a first down with his legs. But who needs the locker room headache for a back up QB. The coaches don’t want that from a starter, let alone someone who’s been benched for Blaine Gabbert.

36. Working titles
    “Dummy: How I opted out of a 14 million dollar contract after burning bridges.”
    “The 49ers and how they used Jedi mind tricks to get me to go away”

37. I wouldn’t believe one word of that book. I will use my rights since I am an American, and choose NOT to buy this book. God Bless America

38. “Kapernick has been in the process of donating $1 million to a variety of worthy causes over the last year”

Like the $25,000 he donated to the charity that is named after Assata Shakur who murdered a NJ cop and fled to Cuba. Still lives there today. Is that the worthy cause you’re talking about?

39. wolverineinnc says:
    October 24, 2017 at 6:26 pm
    —————
    Yet you click on an article about him and take time to post! LMAO ! You must already have your million dollars in the bank!

40. ruffbufffire says:
    Why do some of you clowns claim Kaepernick supporters are illiterate? We can read the 1st amendment. Can you?
    ===

Apparently, you CAN’T read the 1st Amendment. Or, perhaps you merely chose not to? If you understood what the 1st Amendment actually says you’d know it protects him from government sanctions, PERIOD. It has nothing whatsoever to do with his job status in the NFL or anywhere else in the private sector. But thanks for playing.

41. $20 Million

Home/ Richest Athletes/ NFL Players
    Mini Biography
    How much is Colin Kaepernick Worth?
    Colin Kaepernick net worth and salary: Colin Kaepernick is an American football player who has a net worth of $20 million.

All of you making jokes about his million dollar book deal should know he made over $60 gauranteed from the NFL and has a CURRENT net worth of $20 mill. 99% of PFT posters will never reach half of that during your lifetimes. But keep making jokes and believe you have it better than him. Oh, and by the way he’s not even 30 years old yet AND his girlfriend is hotter than your wife/girlfriend. Prove me wrong and post a pic …..I’ll wait! Lol

42. When I opened pft right now and saw this article, I couldn’t wait to read, the article itself is not the important part, but the comments on here are great, excellent work

43. Meh, He’s earned 43.5 million in his career. When he left the 49ers the money left on his restructured deal was only guaranteed against injury. The 49ers were likely to dump him anyway and he would not have received the money. If it makes folks feel good to think he left money on the table it’s cool. It isn’t likely to be true however, unless the 49ers planned on keeping a 14 million dollar backup. It’s likely that his notoriety will make this book successful and he will likely continue to provide money for worthy causes as he always has.

44. Uncleruckus,are you implying kaepernick is somehow better than all us degenerates just because he makes more money than us? Maybe read a some works of mlk and learn about content of character.

45. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Great. Now we’ll get six months of “boycott books” commentary.
    ==

We probably will, along with a whole lot of “great, now we’ll get six more months of . . . ” comments.
    Pick your poison.

46. Everything about this whole Standing thing stinks!
    One side says yes Cops target,
    Another says just another race card to justify a lifestyle.
    Yet a third more scary, is a statement that some think they don’t need to follow the Laws of another race, And that is the most scary, when asked to STOP, Put hands up.. NO we ARGUE.. then get shot, I don’t recognize your Law, so I am not breaking it, It doesn’t apply to me my people were forced here….
    Think and add before PLUS or NEG thumbs.. This could effect ALL of us soon.

47. what i think would be hysterical is if trump tweets out how this book is a great way to denigrate cops and armed services personnel, and for people to stay away in droves..yeah yeah , i get it. krapernick is paid ahead of time. but if he sells like 18 copies, no publisher will ever be this stupid again

48. Possible book titles…

Colin Kaepernick: I Know My Rights
    Colin Kaepernick: Take a Knee With Me…Before Standing with Trump
    Kaepernick: Turner, mAlcom, King, harriEt, obAma, fredericK, aNgelou, wElls, garvEy

49. Keep,
    If your taking suggestions for the title, allow me to suggest:

“Fear is what your feeling, Brave is what I’m doing”

Good Luck!

50. ruffbufffire says:
    “We can read the 1st amendment. Can you?”

I cannot deny. I skipped the 1st Amendment. Choosing to strictly adhere to, exercise within, & practice my 2nd Amendment rights.

51. Whether you agree with Kaep kneeling or him a good or bad QB. He was going to be cut if he didn’t opt out of his contract. He didn’t give up any money to get a better deal. He opted out to hit free agency earlier.

52. charliecharger says:
    October 24, 2017 at 6:44 pm

——-
    Charlie, not only that, but we all remember how Kapernick was unstoppable the entire year. He led the 9er’s to a win on the frozen Tundra of Green Bay, making their defense look silly. He ran like an Antelope through the entire season.

If it weren’t for Harbaugh’s lack of play calling, throwing 4 straight failed attempts to Crabtree, from the 5 yard line, and instead utilizing Vernon Davis and Al Gore, Kap’ could well be a SB Champion. It’s not Kap’s fault that those 4 downs from the 5 yard line failed to produce points and a win. That was Harbaugh’s fault, plain and simple. I wish Kap’ all the best!

53. smitty113 says:
    October 24, 2017 at 5:11 pm
    – – – –

Are you trolling or do you not know how NFL contracts work?

The salary was not guaranteed, and both John Lynch and Kyle Shannahan told Colin that he was not in their plans and would be cut before the season.

He opted out so he could have a chance to sign with another team before camp and earn a spot on the football team. Little did he know that no NFL team would sign him while at the same time signing much inferior quarterbacks off the street. Evan the Kaep haters can admit that’s true.

54. I won’t read his book, but I am well-read, unlike a lot of cretins commenting here.

And you’ll all be surprised by how many people actually do buy his book. That’s what happens when you wildly attack someone with lies and bs, it’s called “backlash” and it goes both ways.

55. ruffbufffire says:
    “We can read the 1st amendment. Can you?”

—————
    Reading it is great. But understanding it is even better. And anyone that thinks this is a first amendment issue does not understand it.

56. I will not be buying anything from or about this man. In other words, when his book is published, I will be taking a monetary knee.

57. All he have to do is hold a news conference,and let everyone know what his intentions are,and how he feels about playing,but no,he writes a book,and want you to buy his thoughts,that’s kind of clever,Who is he trying to be?,Football player,An Author,Malcom X…smh,I’m not buying that book to find out

58. Guess he could call the book “What Happened?” that worked well for someone else recently right?! LOL

Dang, with all that writing he’ll be doing there is no chance he’ll be able to get in football shape for next year! So can we finally put to bed the championing for him to be on a team?

59. Someone out there in la-la-land is feverishly working on a master plan to connect this relentlessly stupid ‘story’ to the cause of Harvey Weinstein, and then it’s only a matter of time until it’s a book deal followed by a TV mini-series and meanwhile America gets

dumber and

dumber and

dumber.

60. Working title:
    “How One Player Caused the Collapse of a Multi-Billion Dollar Empire”

Caution: no need to actually purchase the (alleged) book – published excerpts will be unending
    along with accompanying blogs, tweets, Facebook, Snapchat & all social media