Aaron Rodgers: Anthony Barr gave me the finger, “suck it” sign

Getty Images

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has made a couple of items of news this week on, of all places, Conan O’Brien’s late-night show on TBS.

In addition to telling O’Brien about the insertion of 13 screws to hold together a broken collarbone, Rodgers explained what happened as he was leaving the field and jawing with Vikings players following the hit from linebacker Anthony Barr that resulted in the fracture.

The NFL obviously missed those gestures; if the league office had seen it, Barr surely would have been fined.

145 responses to “Aaron Rodgers: Anthony Barr gave me the finger, “suck it” sign

1. The NFL is like Sgt. Schultz. I see nothing. I hear nothing. Unless its a select few teams they penalize for sneezing in the wrong direction.

2. Wait, crybaby has more to say about this? What’s his problem anyway, does he even know he’s playing football?

3. “I looked over at him as I walked off the field,” Rodgers said. “Cameras caught me saying something to him but what they missed was him [giving me the] finger [and the] ‘suck it‘ sign.”

Camera’s caught you saying something to him. Geez, could it be what you said had something to do with his reaction, Erin?

4. Oh come on! Nice timely reporting! Only 2 weeks late with this news flash. So next can we break down which came first….Barr’s flip off or Rodgers F-bombs?? I guess Rodgers gets a pass on the FUs.

5. Don’t blame the NFL.

Blame the NFLPA. They spend substantially more resources defending the offender than creating a culture of player safety.

6. Geez Erin, you’re playing a mans sport here, you WILL get hit/ hurt from time to time. Always crying about something !!!!

7. And BTW….the inside word by players who were there was that Barr gave him the Discount Double Check sign. Not a “suck it” sign (whatever that is). More pandering and excuse making for the white super star QB.

8. He didn’t complain, he said what happened. He isn’t asking the NFL to fine or suspend anyone. Rodgers is prob the most respectable, and tough player you’ll see out there (and no im not a packers fan). But if someone get’s hurt, it’s just crappy to rub it in like that. But it’s football, your going to get that.

9. In this day and age of cameras suspended over the field and cell phone cameras in the crowd, I find it difficult to believe that there is no video of Barr doing what Rodgers claims.

10. I am looking for pearls to clutch. The finger…in professional sports? Merciful heavens!

I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Anthony Barr’s mom does to him. I’m banking on no dessert for 13 days. One for each screw.

11. Whiner. I am sure it was ok for him to swear all he wants though.

BTW, with all those tv cameras, none of them caught this on video? I think whiner boy is making it up.

12. Aaron Rodgers is a whiner and complainer. He is ready to throw any teammate or coach under the bus.

You got hurt, it sucks. Don’t act like you don’t walk around smug flashing your belt every time the refs give you a free play.

13. And your little discount double check gesture is essentially saying “suck it” to the opponent every time you do it, so how does it taste to have a little of your own medicine?

14. Lets be honest… I don’t think defensive players are trying to knock QBs out for the season but they certainly are still happy to knock them out for the game.

15. thebirdofprey says:
    October 27, 2017 at 9:55 am

———–

What does that have to do with anything. A hit broke his collarbone and ruined his season, and the guy that hit him was happy about it. Wouldn’t that make anyone angry?

16. Footballfanz says:
    October 27, 2017 at 9:53 am
    He didn’t complain, he said what happened. He isn’t asking the NFL to fine or suspend anyone. Rodgers is prob the most respectable, and tough player you’ll see out there (and no im not a packers fan). But if someone get’s hurt, it’s just crappy to rub it in like that. But it’s football, your going to get that…

Respectable? hardly

17. Why would Barr surely have been fined if the NFL had seen those gestures but Rodgers wasn’t fined for dropping F-bombs all over the TV screen? Is that the image the league wants to project?

18. I think he is practicing to be the next Tony Romo knowing his career is pretty much in the toilet. The next half whimpy hit he takes and his career is toast. Packers thought this would go on forever and now Ted T either has to exit stage left of pretend he knows where to find a good QB.
    My guess in all the is Hundley will suck. If he was any good at all, other GM’s would have grabbed him. 5th round says a lot

19. Maybe all the ex great NFL players can start a #MeToo campaign as well. For all the hard hits and bad words they had to endure during their time on the field. The struggle is real.

20. LOL I actually like Barr more now 😀 He only knew he smacked his opponent, he’s no surgeon; there’s no way he knew he broke rodgers. I like that attitude in my defensive players, give that sucker a clean, legal whack and make them think twice before getting cute with the ball!

21. Whiner. Reminds me of Dan Marino who always pointed at someone else when something went wrong. The original whining qb.

22. Just another example of how he thinks he is above the game. It’s no wonder why even his own family doesn’t like him.

23. Tony Romo didn’t whine to the world about being ground into the turf, twice!! I guess some q/b’s have class, and some don’t!! It seems it is all about “don’t touch me or give me the finger”, whoa is me…Guess he won’t be doing his discount double-check the rest of the season! Arrogance personified……. AND, what is a “suck it” sign?? I’ve never heard of that??

24. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 27, 2017 at 9:55 am

Classless defender, matches his fans.

÷÷÷÷÷

Whiner QB, matches his fans.

25. Hey Aaron, you want some French cries with your waa burger? He still can’t believe the refs actually allowed the defensive player to tackle him. The horror!

26. Footballfanz says:
    October 27, 2017 at 9:53 am

—————————————————————————

By MOST respectable, are you referring to every time he runs the ball in, how he turns to his opponent and does the ‘Championship Belt’ sign in their faces?

27. So the 700 cameras pointed at the field all missed a guy giving Aaron Rodgers the finger while he was screaming obscenities? And they missed that same guy giving him this mysterious “suck it” sign that no one has ever heard of?

28. It makes me giggle when I saw that Erin was complaining and making up things that never happen. Lol, what a whiner. No wonder he has no family.

29. If this happened, then where is the video, why no fine? There would have been many camera’s at that game and one of them would have caught this if it happened.

30. Yeah ok… im sure that happened but nobody in the giant stadium saw it, including the 30 cameras focused on them at the time. The announcers talked about it for the rest of the game, they’d have seen something.

31. Grow up, dude! You make millions for playing a game, albeit a dangerous game. Sometimes you get hurt…deal with it.

32. After all the times through the years that Rodgers has been rescued by a phantom facemask or imaginary roughing the passer call I was happy to see someone blast him and from the comments here I’m not alone.

33. Favre would have pulled himself off the turf and tried to play a down or two. He would say “the hit was a good hit, it’s a man’s game, injuries are part of it”. That’s why everyone respected Favre’s game and Favre, even Viking fans while Favre was beating the Vikes most of those years. This guy, 12, he’s good, damn good, but what a whiner and an arrogant SOB. Not to mention he loves to throw others under the bus since that NFCCG in Sea when Wilson keeps telling GB, “I don’t want the ball, you take it” and GB still loses while Rodgers played horribly, but not his fault, just ask him. He and Cam are what’s wrong with todays so called QB leaders. Outside of their own fan bases, the most hated pair of players in the league.

34. If Barr actually did that (and it’s a big if at this point), then Rodgers have every right to chirp back at him. I’m a Vikings fan and strongly feel it was a clean hit, but if Barr was giving him a hard time then I can’t blame Rodgers for barking at him. We’ll find out soon enough. I’m sure the footage will be analyzed like the Zapruder film.

35. So in a stadium filled with over 60k people, how many cameras, Rodgers is basically saying he is the only one that saw it? Ok.

Not to mention, that if it did happen, Green Bay players would have reacted and a huge fight would have broke out.

That ego is bigger than LameBlow.

36. Is anyone surprised Barr did this. Surely not. Rodgers was asked what triggered his outburst and when he answered, the Rodgers haters rise up. It doesnt suprise me one bit. And when the video evidence comes out proving Rodgers right, the haters will say Barr did nothing wrong. After all their one eyed Cyclopse coach teaches this kind of behaviour. No problem, Karma has a way of working that stuff out. Barr will get his in spades.

37. Funny how Dalvin Cook walked to the locker room after tearing his ACL, but Erin had to be carted with a collarbone injury. Just shows how tough Vikings are, and how pathetically weak Packers are.

38. The real whiners and losers here are all the Vikings fans that spend there precious days thinking about Green Bay Packer players!

39. Rodgers gettting to be as bad as Brady as far as complaining is concerned.
    =====

I got a good chuckle out of the reaction to Rodgers yapping at Barr after the hit.

If Brady got hit, got up and yelled at the guy that hit him, everyone would be championing how competitive he is.. Rodgers took flak for it.

40. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 27, 2017 at 10:33 am

At least our QB only gets injured when by cheap shot defenders.

Not just slipping on the ground.

÷÷÷÷

At least our QB doesn’t go on late night talk shows and whine about it.

41. Rogers is just trying to stay relevant! I work in the OR and have never seen that many screws used on a collarbone?

If you lie about one thing why not another?

42. Suck it sign? What is that?

Right, all the cameras covering every inch of the field missed it too. The only one to see it was Rodgers who is now trying to cover for his god awful poor sportsmanship fowl language tantrum.

43. No surprise…..Historically the viking organization has had more then their fair share of questionable players.

44. Conan asked Rodgers about the play in which he broke his collarbone. Rodgers had the following to say, “I rolled out to my right, I threw the ball, and I got tackled and slammed on the ground, but I’m good now. Thirteen screws later and here I am.”

First is anyone surprised Rodgers is in Hollywood for his rehab?
    Second, is anyone surprised arrogant Rodgers is sounding exactly like his arrogate fan base?  Nobody “slammed” you to the ground Aaron.  Your frail old body broke because of the awkward way you landed.

45. This guy, 12, he’s good, damn good, but what a whiner and an arrogant SOB. Not to mention he loves to throw others under the bus since that NFCCG in Sea when Wilson keeps telling GB, “I don’t want the ball, you take it” and GB still loses while Rodgers played horribly, but not his fault, just ask him.
    =====

The Packers were up 19-7 with 3:52 to go in the game.

Name another team that lost a double digit lead in a Championship game with under 4 minutes to go??

Any team. Name a single one…………………………………

46. It’s OK, Aaron. I look forward to the cry baby Vikings post next year when you throw for 6 TD’s and give Barr the finger each time.

47. All the cameras were focused on Rodgers. Barr is a nobody. Funny how Barr claims he isnt a dirty player but yet headbutts a guy who suffered a concussion a 2 weeks earlier.

48. Dan Marino > Erin Girlrogers
    ——
    Sometimes it bums me out to see I’m posting in the same sections as a 12 year old.

49. Yeah, I never react negatively when someone yells a profanity at me like Rodgers did.

If what Rodgers says is true, Barr was likely reacting to what Rodgers said. The replays I’ve seen show Barr walking away from the play after the hit, slapping hands with Hunter, not even knowing Rodgers was hurt.

50. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 27, 2017 at 10:33 am
    At least our QB only gets injured when by cheap shot defenders.

—————–

Wait, I thought Rodgers got injured when Barr tackled him. Now you’re trying to say Clay Matthews had something to do with it?

51. What do you expect from a Classless organization in a Classless City with Classless fans like Minnesota.

52. pack13queens0
    October 27, 2017 at 1:05 pm

>>>>

Two words:
    Korey Stringer.

53. chillyball says:
    October 27, 2017 at 10:23 am
    Someone has a pouty-face.

Dan Marino > Erin Girlrogers.
    _________________________________________________

Evidently you never watched Marino play. Undeniably one of the great QB’s but he invented the QB whine.

54. Gee most teams would have gotten an un-sportsman like flag for what you were calling him as you walked off the field..
    Have a little Cheese with that WHINE?

55. So, Rodgers is swearing and yelling things at Barr and then Barr more or less flips him off. Sounds about right.

Whats the problem with that Aaron?

56. relggigeht says:
    October 27, 2017 at 11:56 am
    The problems is, the Vikings will still never make it back to the Super Bowl.
    —-
    How many Powerballs have you won with your ability to tell the future?

57. I’m late to the party, but I find it interesting that 90 per cent of the comments show that Rodgers needs to wear a skirt if he wants to play football again.

58. To all the Packer fans decrying a so called “dirty franchise called the Vikings” do yourselves a favor and google: “Jim McMahon, Packers hit, 1986.” And watch the entire video, where after he pulls of the biggest cheap shot in sports history, all the packer coaches and players high fiving him.

End of Discussion. But I’m sure you’ll have your typical excuses like, “well, that was in 1986!” “Well, that was back in a different age of football!”

Barr’s hit was ROUTINE. There is video of Clay Matthews doing the EXACT SAME THING to Bridgewater!!!!!!!! ROUTINE!

59. We all know Anthony Barr has the utmost respect for Aaron Rodgers.

60. To all the Packer fans decrying a so called “dirty franchise called the Vikings” do yourselves a favor and google: “Jim McMahon, Packers hit, 1986.” And watch the entire video, where after he pulls of the biggest cheap shot in sports history, all the packer coaches and players high fiving him.
    =====

Well, you should be excited to know, Barr has probably ruined Rodgers’ career the same way Martin did McMahon’s.

Maybe there really is karma. Perhaps I should rethink my ideals of life.

61. tinye67 says:
    October 27, 2017 at 9:53 am

_______________________________________

Cite the source or retract the lie….

And I’m not surprised Barr acted like that… That’s what dirty players do. He is on the same level as Alonso and Suh.

62. Vikings fans like Moss. Vikings fans like Peterson. That gives a clue the kind of people they are. Viking fans like Barr. Viking fans want badly what the Packer fans have enjoyed for decades. They’re desperate for it. That’s why they’ll tolerate the intolerable and defend the indefensible. They don’t care. They have no pride or shame. Read their comments herein. You’ll know. You’ll have them all figured out.

63. Barr’s hit was ROUTINE.
    =====

I don’t agree with that at all.

More often than not, I think most defenders give a shove or good bump, not a wrap up, WWF takedown.

I don’t believe Barr intended to hurt Rodgers. But I don’t see this as a typical play either.

64. So Waaaahgers is now trying to make up an excuse for his classless behavior. And on top of that what self respecting NFL player is going to air out the fact that someone flipped him off or GASP gave him the suck it sign. This isn’t 3rd grade Erin. And like his 3rd grade teacher told him back then “no one likes a tattletale”.

65. With a team so used to losing, Viking players and fans don’t care HOW they get in. Division by Default – Go Vikies

66. Wow. It would seem the BiQueen’s players are just as classless as their fetid fanbase.

No surprise, there.

> Maybe there really is karma

Karma would certainly explain the Purple Pansies failing to ever win a Lombardi for their entire sordid existence. We all know that jealousy of Green Bay’s 13 World Championships is the root cause of their hate for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

67. stellarperformance says:
    October 27, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    ————–
    Hey buddy, welcome back. We missed you and your ilk in here the past week. Where have you been? What happened?

68. MrGschwind says:
    October 27, 2017 at 11:26 am

////////////

Yea right, I’m sure that’s going to happen

69. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 27, 2017 at 9:55 am
    Classless defender, matches his fans.

bridgeh2o says:

You would have NEVER heard Favre, Manning, Brees, or Brady whine like Erin. She is in her own class.

Says the fanbase that spoke of Teddy’s weak leg, etc, etc,……unheard of this day and age, with cameras EVERYWHERE, 70,000 fans, that nobody, including packer fans can corroborate what Erin says! Hilarious-not ONE source!

Just rub some dirt on your shoulder Erin, and we will see you…..NEXT YEAR!!!!!

70. Karen is a crybaby and a liar. 13 screws? Nonsense. You’re trying to be tough like Lord Favre. You are not tough. You are a whiny little baby. You’re a millennial snowflake that will cry about everything.
    You said that Barr did the suck it sign? really man? Nobody saw that but you. That’s crazy talk right there!!
    AND you’re such a team player that you’re in Hollywood when the rest of your teammates are playing football games. You are a BIG BABY and NOT a team player. Where’s Dalvin Cook? Where’s Bridgewater? WITH THEIR TEAM!!!
    Clean hit. Stop being a baby. It’s football!

71. Dude also lied about how many screws went into her shoulder…..had about 5, not 13.

I heard the doctor told Erin that had she not had “girly” shoulders,she would not have broken her collarbone.

Erin pouted…….

See you next year, Erin.

Love, 55.

72. stellarperformance says:
    October 27, 2017 at 3:46 pm

///////////////////////////////

I liked the Vikings before any of the players you mentioned were even born. It’s not my fault some players do certain things that are not appropriate. Just because I don’t agree with what a player does shouldn’t cause me not to be a fan of the team. Sorry you disapprove of some of our players but I’m not leaving because of it. Bills fans didn’t quit through the OJ saga and Panthers fans are still going despite Rae Carruth.

73. marvin1958 says:
    October 27, 2017 at 4:36 pm

——————————-

Well, at least we have one Packer fan that is honest enough to admit the Packers are little more than a JV team without Rodgers. At least the Bears fans still have hope, I can respect that.

74. stellarperformance says:
    October 27, 2017 at 3:46 pm

///////////////////////////////

I’ll bet you still have your Mark Chmura jersey

75. Rogers is very hurt isn’t he…
    My first reaction to hearing this is..ya so? It’s football players I’m positive say this “trash talk” all the time it’s competitive aggressive environment.

76. AND you’re such a team player that you’re in Hollywood when the rest of your teammates are playing football games.
    =====

Hollywood starlet.. or more time with Mike McCarthy…………………

Sunny 86 degrees in Hollywood……. 29 tommorow night in Green Bay.

These are what you call simple life choices…

77. aarons444 says:
    October 27, 2017 at 6:50 pm
    =====
    Hollywood starlet.. or more time with Mike McCarthy…………………
    ————–
    Wow, talk about living in a fantasy world.

78. What a diva he didn’t give you the suck it sign. Rather Barr mocked Rodgers celebration with the belt sign. Not only a liar but what a whiner. I have no respect for Aaron Rodgers going on National TV( yeah it was only Conan) to complain. Barr didn’t flip you off either. Now go drink some Grape Crush.

79. stellarperformance says:
    October 27, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    ———————————
    Some cheesers just can’t stand the fact the Vikings are a better team than the Packers at every position. Including QB.

80. Aaron Rodgers could have stop the packer fans whining by telling the truth that Sunday or the following Monday. All Rodgers had to say was it was a clean play, that’s football. Nope not Aaron, he doesn’t have that in him. Instead Aaron goes on tv to lie and whine about the clean hit to start another wave of packer fans wining. Thanks Aaron for lying about the clean play.

81. Rodgers has 13 screws, I only think 12 are tight..
    —————————————————
    As far as Tokyo in one of his many posts,
    Classless defender, matches his fans.
    ______________________________________________
    You should know! ain’t it sweet to have your whole years dreams taken away by ONE Viking Player on ONE play?
    Perhaps Rodgers whole career is over, Packers are exposed and I AM LOVING IT, I hope he never steps on the field again, but if he does it might be as a Lefty. HAHAHAHA!

82. If Viking fans think Packer fans have given up in the face of overwhelming odds, you know nothing about being a Packer fan. We’re not angry, and being accused of whining is an overused dismissal that is way too easy and convenient. We’re disappointed. Big time. It’s sucks.

I will give Barr the benefit of the doubt. I simply refuse to believe anyone could possibly be that big of an idiot on purpose. I do not believe Barr knew Rodgers was injured permanently, before flipping him off and gesturing his arms across his crotch. I like to think Barr thought Rodgers may have been hurt temporarily and would likely return……..hence the jawing back-and-forth. It happens.

It doesn’t change the fact Barr tried to cause harm unnecessarily. It was cheap and simply unnecessary. There are a lot of great Viking players I really like. I may know more Viking fans personally than many locals do. There are only a handful with similar “cheap” mindsets and attitudes. I would estimate the same percentage among the Viking supporters posting on this site. Something in the neighborhood of 88% great, 10% “cheap,” and 2% haters (easy to ignore.)

83. How fitting. In the Fail Mary game, the Packers had an INT negated by a roughing the passer call when the defender dove to make the tackle before Wilson released the ball and the QB was outside the pocket. The purples said that was the right call then. Now Barr, who was 6 feet away when Rodgers threw the ball, hit him at full speed then drove him forcefully into the ground. And the purples claim that was a clean hit.

The purples claim that the Packers get every call, but sure don’t like to talk about the calls that go against them.

84. Great football player
    Lousy Human
    Whiny baby when he is not winning or getting calls.

His immediate reaction that what Barr did was intentional is what led to the words exchanged.

85. 2 weeks have passed and Packer fans are still dumbfounded. First they got angry 😠 and made up stories to shake their fist at. Then they put on a brave face but when that did not work they ran and hid. After some time passed they got the courage up (probably thanks in part to Rodgers lies) and are back in here shaking their fists at stories they make up. It is fun to watch. What is next?

86. I’m confused???? I thought all the players were “United”? and now we have two apposing players giving the finger and calling the other guy an F-bomb? doesn’t sound like they’re united at all…….

#StandfortheFLAG

87. The lastest per JSOnline is that Barr admitted doing this little finger and suck it act. But he says he did it after Rodgers cursed him. Sorry, Got to go with Rodgers on this one. Not that it would make any differences to the Rodgers haters. If there was a video of Barr doing it and Rodgers reacting the Viking fans would still villify Rodgers. For days they say Barr did not do it and Rodgers was lying. Now we know he did do it. The sequence is not known.

88. carloswlassiter says:
    October 27, 2017 at 10:36 am
    ————————————————————–
    You mean like the clear facemask by the Cardinals that wasn’t called on the deciding play of the Wild Card game back in the 09 season?

89. No Barr didn’t admit to doing the suck it sign. I read jsonline as well. And I saw a video on other sites. Stop your lying, Rodegrs’s lying is bad enough. packer fans have some pride and stop the whining.

90. Barr admitted he reacted to Rodgers. Rodgers says he reacted to Barr. The only ones lying are the delusional in denial Rodgers haters who just say carte blanche Barr didnt say anything.I am least willing to say both did something to upset the other one. And I believe Rodgers is the one telling the truth. Barr already said he was stupid.

91. fl pack guy- Fans are saying Rodgers lied how it went down. He made it sound like Barr slammed him into the ground. It’s called a normal tackle. I know he doesn’t see much tackling from the “nitro defense ” of Dom’s. Rodgers started cussing Barr who just got up and walked away. Video show that, how dare Anthony Barr tackle Rodgers. Give it up stop your whining too. More than two weeks of whining, you should be embarrassed but you are packer fans.

92. Losing your QB for the better part of the season does bite. Trust me… as a Vikings fan I’m WELL aware how the loss of a key player can effect your favorite team’s season. But I looked at several different recordings of this tackle, and still cannot see where Barr “drove” Rodgers into the ground.

Look… we can argue the finer points of whether or not the tackle was permissible under current NFL regulations (it was), but video after video CLEARLY shows that Anthony Barr DID NOT drive his full body weight into Rodgers while he was on the ground.

I saw Barr hit Rodgers after the ball was thrown. I saw Rodgers’ fall backwards and hit his right shoulder on the ground at an extreme angle to the fall (which was probably when the collarbone snapped by the way). And I saw Rodgers roll onto his back just as Barr slid over the top of his prostrate body (you can clearly see daylight between the two players). But I did NOT see Barr drive Rodgers into the ground.

As for the claim by Rodgers that Barr made two insulting finger gestures to him after the hit… I’m willing to concede it could have happened. Lets see your proof Rodgers. Surely at least ONE VIDEO exists somewhere which will substantiate your claim.

93. bullcharger says:
    October 27, 2017 at 10:03 am

))))))))))))
    Only it wasn’t like that at all. Your false narrative couldn’t be more wrong.How do you know Anthony Barr was happy to end Rodgers’s season? How did you arrive at that? It is the exact opposite of what Barr said. And Brett Hundley knows him. He said he isn’t a dirty player. And yet you a person that doesn’t know Anthony Barr at all says he enjoyed ruining his season. Please take your butt hurt self away from commenting on things you know nothing about. You sound completely absurd.