Case Keenum: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

AP

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer admitted the obvious last night, that it would be really “hard to yank” quarterback Case Keenum out of the lineup, no matter who’s on the bench behind him.

And Keenum’s happy to go along with that plan, as his hit streak has helped keep the Vikings near the top of the NFC playoff positioning chase.

It’s hard to argue a case that he’s not, at the moment, He’s 6-2 as the starter, and won against the Bears coming in for an injured Sam Bradford. So even though former first-rounder Teddy Bridgewater is well and able to be a backup, there’s no reasonable rush to make a change.

He also just played a smart, safe game in what must have been an emotional situation for him, since he was the Rams starter last year before losing the job inevitably to first-rounder Jared Goff.

While he had a hot streak against Washington marred by a couple of late interceptions, there was no such giveback against the Rams.

“One of the first things [Zimmer] said this week was, don’t go off the reservation,” Keenum said.

Other than one early improvised floater to Adam Thielen in the face of a rush, Keenum made the smart plays, and they kept working. He’s still got a bit of a gunslinger in him, which makes him fun to watch.

“I’m thinking a lot of things at that point,” Zimmer said. “But he’s got a horseshoe right now.”

He’s also got a starting job, as long as he keeps playing this way.

30 responses to “Case Keenum: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

1. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” Keenum said, via Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Let’s keep doing what we’re doing. Coach Zimmer is the coach. It’s his decision. I’m here to play. However he wants to do it, I’m here. I want to be the best player for this team.”

Love his attitude.

There is no QB controversy here.

2. Why does the media ask Zimmer if he is going to make a change at QB to begin with? Aren’t they watching the games? Negative media in the TC area has nothing better to do I guess.

3. After almost getting sacked twice then throwing that strike to Thielen told me he is seeing the field well. That was more than a chuck and duck. He knew where it was even under that pressure.

4. stellarperformance says:
    November 20, 2017 at 6:54 am
    The Vikings look pretty good.

/////////////

Wait…….a positive comment about the Vikings from stellarperformance? I’m impressed. I wish I had a positive comment about the Packers that I could post in return, but I don’t. Not trying to take a dig there, I just can’t seem to find a silver lining about that team right now. I’m not gonna lie, with all the negative pub that the NFL has going on right now, I miss watching Rodgers sling the ball around. He’s good for the game, and makes it fun to watch, except when he’s hanging a W on the purple. Hopefully if anything, losing Rodgers will open people’s eyes to the obvious fact that having a capable backup QB is a necessity in today’s NFL, and the brass in Green Bay will start to build around Rodgers for once.

5. housemusic1200 says:

Wait…….a positive comment about the Vikings from stellarperformance?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was kind of shocked too.

Hopefully he wasn’t at Lambeau yesterday to see the debacle. It would be difficult to actually pay money to sit and watch that level of futility.

He’s claimed to be a season ticket holder – but I don’t know whether he has the green or the gold package.

Maybe he got 25 cents on the dollar on craigslist for his tickets.

6. I was kind of shocked too.

——-
    Apparently not shocked enough to quit your trolling ways though. Grow up.

7. Keenum was nothing short of amazing yesterday. He made throws milliseconds before getting hit, hung in the pocket, ran around out of the pocket, scrambled for first downs, played smart and threw it away when necessary. It’s amazing what great coaching can do for a guy.

Whatever he was last year, he is not that guy this year. And lest we forget he played for a terrible Rams team that is still not very good this year.

I’m getting a “Keenum 4 Life” tattoo this weekend.

8. Soon the conversation could turn to whether he should be the starter in 2018 over Teddy, only time will tell.

9. I’m definitely finding one thing out about Case Keenum. The guy has stones the size of basketballs. Standing in the pocket with guys like Donald flying at him and still looking downfield is impressive. He needs to slide running in the open field though. The guy is tough and has heart. Not just a QB he’s a football player. I’m a big Teddy fan but it’s impossible to take Keenum out right now.

10. I used to have a flip phone that worked great. I could take it anywhere, make and receive calls, and even send texts with a little effort. I loved it. The flip phone wasn’t broken, but for some reason somebody invented the smartphone. I upgraded to the smartphone and it works even better than the old flip phone!

This example is just meant to illustrate that “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” doesn’t get you ahead in the world. You have to take risks and experiment with new things to get a bigger payoff. I don’t know if Teddy could do a better job than Case if he got in there (almost assuredly he wouldn’t do better at first), but I do worry that they will eventually lose a playoff game and we’ll all be wondering what would have happened if Teddy had been playing.

That said, there’s no way Case can be removed now. They have to keep winning and there’s no time for working Teddy back in. Hopefully, Case keeps playing better and better, they keep winning, and they’re somehow able to bring both quarterbacks back next year.

11. pkrlvr says:

November 20, 2017 at 9:16 am

I was kind of shocked too.

——-
    Apparently not shocked enough to quit your trolling ways though. Grow up.
    ==========================================================================

Crying about the man Vikings fans on another thread? When you have run your mouth for 8+years on here? That is laughable and oh so hypocritical of you. Don’t worry, 95% of your fan base is the same as you are.

Sorry we broke your QB and exposed your team.

12. Good to see Case keep his cool against a team he has personal hatred toward. Still need to see Teddy at some point this season. Three tough away games coming up, and I’m sure Case has 2 poor performances before the team goes to Teddy. Ideally they get him in a game where they’re winning or losing by enough for it to make sense. This way it doesn’t kill the locker room love for Keenum, but lets the Vikings see Teddy in real game action.

13. Do you guys remember in 64 when Jim Marshall recovered a 49ers fumble, ran the wrong way, and threw the ball out of bounds in his own end zone for a safety? That was funny.

14. Enjoying the ride, but still fear Case is going to come crashing down to earth.

And Jim Marshall’s wrong way run (in a victory) admittedly was hilarious. Almost as funny as the Packers braintrust putting 3 years of “development” into a QB that throws 3 INTs and can’t even beat the average Ravens squad at home.

15. I’ve been a vikings fan way too long. After every big play i was literally chanting “dont fumble dont fumble!” That pass to Theilen is an interception 10/10 times for most vikings qbs.

16. gtodriver says:
    November 20, 2017 at 8:23 am
    housemusic1200 says:

Wait…….a positive comment about the Vikings from stellarperformance?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Do we have a Vikings conversion??lol
    I have been saying this since early October, Case should be locked up if he wins at Detroit.
    He is playing as well as anybody..
    After spending 1st Draft picks, trades, we find what could be a Franchise QB from another teams castoff as a backup! He is as Blue Collar as the rest of Zimmers team! lovin’ it!

17. usdcoyotesfan says:
    November 20, 2017 at 12:37 pm
    —-
    No, I wasnt born yet.

I also dont live in the past when the present and future are so bright for us Vikings fans.

Hows memory lane going for you Packer fans?

18. contra74 says:
    November 20, 2017 at 6:11 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////////////

That’s only because the Vikings don’t have a past! Unlike you, I could die tomorrow and rest easy with the historic memories the Packers have provided since I was very young. I don’t for one second believe we are now suddenly becoming the Vikings. In all that time the most important and memorable victories the Vikings have come up with were over the Packers. You can’t deny it.

Those, I’m sorry to say, are your rules. You guys made them up when the Packers went deep in the playoffs for so many years while you sat at home and hoped they lost. It’s on you now. Karma sucks.

19. usdcoyotesfan says:

November 20, 2017 at 12:37 pm

=============================================================================

Yep, but what is even funnier( and more recent than 53 years ago) is

GB coughs up lead in an epic meltdown to Seattle
    GB lets 1 of the slowest WR in the NFL to go 70 yards untouched
    GB doesn’t show up against the Falcons
    Aaron Rodgers walks into A Barr. thus exposing the rest of the team

Those are far more hilarious than Marshall going the wrong way if you ask me.

20. stellarperformance says:

November 21, 2017 at 3:22 am

contra74 says:
    November 20, 2017 at 6:11 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////////////

=========================================================================

This guy was full of PBR if he was posting at 230am. His last thoughts will not be of his family, but of past packers glories……that is pretty sad.

he also doesn’t understand that Gb is favored to represent the NFC nearly every year in the bowl and that it is a choke job if they do not live up to the hype. Minnesota was predicted to finish 3rd in the DIVISION. any thing they do over that is gravy. If they had the best odds to win, it would be a choke job, but they didn’t and don’t. I don’t know why he has such an issue understanding this, but it probably has a lot to do with imbibing fermented hops. either that, ot he is not very smart.

Keep thinking it will be a choke job, you are the only one.

PS sorry we broke your quarterback

21. Enjoy the good fortune while you can, because if they don’t win the SuperBowl, it’s a choke-job.

——————————————————————————-

From my perspective, it seems like those are the rules set up by Packers fans. There’s times, albeit few and far between, when the adults try and talk football. Whenever a discussion isn’t headed in the direction a Packers fan would like, inevitably a Packer backer or 5 will snuggle into their 13 “world” championships (back when the world was apparently contained within a small stretch of America from Wisconsin to Rhode Island)security blanket and pop in their 0 Vikings championships pacifier. It doesn’t matter how irrelevant the point is to the topic, it just always seems to end up that way. You guys decided that championships were the end to every argument.

I also can deny that the most important and memorable victories happened against the Packers. In no particular order

NFC Wild Card Game 1987 – Vikings 44, Saints 10 (Anthony Carter’s then record 143 punt return yards for a playoff game)
    NFC Divisional Playoffs 1987 – Vikings 36, 49ers 24 (Isaac Holt shutting down Rice, AC’s then record 227 receiving yards in a playoff game)
    NFC Divisional Playoffs 1977 – Vikings 14, Rams 7 (Mud Bowl)
    NFC Wild Card Game – Vikings 23, Giants 22 (Vikings scored 10 points in final 4 minutes to win)

All of those I would put before the 2004 wildcard game where Culpepper threw for 4 TD passes and Favre threw 4 ints in a 31 – 17 Vikings win as more important or memorable.

22. Sorry about Wide Left. Sorry about Favre INT. Sorry about Anderson FG. Sorry about 41-0. Sorry about four SuperBowl losses. Sorry about the most one-and-done postseason appearances in the history of the game. Sorry about the most postseason losses in the history of the game.

The Vikings have no room to talk when it comes to postseason failures. None.

If they don’t win the SuperBowl, it’s a choke-job. Your rules.

23. stellarperformance says:

November 21, 2017 at 11:02 am

The Vikings have no room to talk when it comes to postseason failures. None.

If they don’t win the SuperBowl, it’s a choke-job. Your rules.
    ======================================================================

We don’t need any sympathy from you. those are the breaks of the game. You’ve painted yourself on here as a person who cares a bout football more than he does his family. I hope you don’t have kids. How awful would it be to know that your fathers last thoughts will be about the packers and not his children?

I’m tired of debating you regarding whether it would be a choke job or not. it’s a silly point to debate anyway. I actually feel sorry for you on 1 hand, and I’m embara%%ed for you on the other. You’re well being is obviously so wrapped up in if the packers are good or not, that it affects your everyday life. There is no other explanation for your posts. get some help dude, its going to be ok. Well, until we break your QB again.

24. stellar,

get some help man, it’s just football, staying up till 3:30 getting hammered and picking fights on the internet is not the answer…..I pray you don’t have kids….

25. I also remember when Gary Anderson’s 1st miss of the year came on a FG that would’ve wob the NFC Championship, and the Vikes went on to choke after a 15-1 season.

And when the Vikes started 6-0 only to finish 9-7, culminated by a Hail Mary that kept them out of the playoffs, making them the 2nd 6-0 team to miss the postseason.

And when Favre could’ve scrambled 5-10 yds untouched to set up a winning FG in the NFC Championship against the Saints, and instead he threw an INT into triple coverage and the Vikes never got the ball in OT.

And when Walsh missed from ~25 yds and cost the Vikes a playoff game against SEA.

And when the Vikes became the first team to have 2 seasons where they started 5-0 and missed the playoffs.