Adrian Peterson: I look forward to another season in 2018

Getty Images

The Cardinals haven’t made a formal announcement of running back Adrian Peterson‘s move to injured reserve, but Peterson has confirmed that his season is over.

Peterson gave a statement to Josina Anderson of ESPN after learning he will not be returning to action after going for further medical opinions on his injured neck. In addition to thanking the Cardinals for acquiring him from the Saints and giving him a chance to run as a lead back, Peterson also touched on his plans for the future.

“The good news is my neck injury doesn’t require surgery, but I’m told by Dr. Robert Watkins that the best thing for me is just more rest than the length of the season. Obviously, I’m disappointed about going on IR when my body is still able to produce but I look forward to returning completely healthy for another season in 2018. I’m grateful for the opportunity that the Arizona Cardinals have given me to show that I can still contribute on an NFL team.”

Peterson signed a two-year contract with the Saints, so the Cardinals can keep him around if they are so inclined. That may not be their choice as long as David Johnson is set to make a full recovery from the wrist injury that ended his season in the first week of the year, which would leave Peterson in a similar position to the one he was in after the Vikings released him in the offseason.

It took him a long time to find work before landing with the Saints and a cooler market could signal the end of Peterson’s time as an NFL player.

44 responses to “Adrian Peterson: I look forward to another season in 2018

1. Genericcommenter his 2018 contract is $3.5 million with no dead cap if cut. Cardinals will have to make a decision. He would be an expensive RB2 behind a healthy David Johnson. He was either great in 2 games this year or awful in 3. Oline had something to do with that but K Williams is looking pretty good with the same injured Oline.

2. Adrian’s ego will never let him walk away gracefully. In his delusional mind, he still thinks he can catch Emmitt Smith. The league will have to tell him that he’s done, he won’t do it on his own.

3. I really wonder if another team will sign him if the Cardinals don’t keep him for the second year of his contract.

4. Commenters before the season: Peterson is done.

Commenters after he went off for the Cardinals: I was wrong, he still has gas left in the tank.

Commenters weeks later: Peterson is done.

5. MostlyRight says:
    December 15, 2017 at 9:30 am
    ————-
    OK, I was looking at the Rotoworld contract info when I made my comment. Linked from this page they have it listed as 2018: $1.05 million. Thanks for the info and I agree with your analysis.

6. HoF? He has an outside chance but there is only one current RB that should be a lock as of today–Frank Gore. Peterson and Marshawn trail him, IMHO, although Peterson’s case is bolstered by rushing TDs.

7. HoF? He has an outside chance but there is only one current RB that should be a lock as of today–Frank Gore. Peterson and Marshawn trail him, IMHO, although Peterson’s case is bolstered by rushing TDs.
    =====

There is no question whatsoever which of those 3 was the best in their prime, at the top of their game.

8. I have no doubt AP can still get it done. What I seen from him this year confirms he still has gas in the tank. Heck, no one is telling Frank Gore to retire and he is less of a physical specimen than AP. AP, much like all RBs, need an opportunity to shine. He didnt get that in NO and had limited success in Arizona. You cannot tell me if he wasnt in Dallas during Zeke’s suspension he wouldnt be performing.

9. Less than a lock for the HoF. Fumbles at crucial times, only a two down back, and no big time plays in the playoffs, much less wins or rings. Bubble guy.

10. aarons444 says:
    December 15, 2017 at 11:37 am
    =====

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you are saying he was better than the other two when comparing their primes, I agree. That is not the only factor to consider for HoF. Peterson was at times dominant and could carry his team to victory. He also had a fumble problem, was abysmal in protection, couldn’t catch a cold and was suspended because he beat one of his toddlers with a stick. Off-field stuff is not supposed to factor but when it impacts the player’s availability to be on the field it naturally becomes harder for the voters to ignore. I’m not saying he shouldn’t get in. I’m just saying that IMHO Gore was a better all-around professional RB throughout his career and is more deserving as of this moment.

11. MrMacWhoDat⚜ says:
    December 15, 2017 at 10:56 am

mikemnz says:
    December 15, 2017 at 10:34 am
    Not a hall of famer due to off field incident.

Last time I checked, OJ was in the hall of fame. Lawrence Taylor too.

Yes but their issues arose after football.

12. aarons444 says:
    December 15, 2017 at 11:19 am
    Step 1) Hire Eddie Lacy’s agent

Step 2) Call the Seahawks
    …………………………………
    Step 3) ????
    Step ) Profit

13. aarons444 says:
    Step 1) Hire Eddie Lacy’s agent
    Step 2) Call the Seahawks
    ===

What would the Seahawks want with Adrian Peterson? They were one of the teams that had him in for a visit last offseason and passed. What has he done this season to make them change their minds, besides get another year older, bounce between two teams, and end up on injured reserve yet again?
    So what if he had two good games? He’s done that the past two or three seasons, along with a bunch of duds, fumbles at critical times, and the inevitable trips to the injury list.
    As for Eddie Lacy, they experienced firsthand the folly of taking a chance on him. If anything, the Eddie experiment should steer them further away from the likes of Peterson.

14. Dean Wormer once said that “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son”.

The same could be said for “old and washed up” Adrian Peterson.

15. AP has mustered only 1 playoff win in his “HoF” career. Let that sink in. Ty Montgomery, a true second year WR last year, has more playoff wins as a RB than AP does. AP will get the jacket based on garbage TDs that never advanced his team into SB contention. He’ll be cutting my lawn and raking my leaves within two years. Book it!

16. ovaw8lova says:
    December 15, 2017 at 11:44 am

——————–

If he wasn’t there he wouldn’t be performing? I can definitely tell you that.

17. In Teddy We Trust says:
    December 15, 2017 at 12:48 pm
    The only place Adrian Peterson will be able to find a job next year is NFL Network.
    ———–

I don’t think he’s a likely hire for an organization with a current misconduct scandal.