Despite playoff sellout, Jaguars’ tarps will remain in place

Getty Images

In 2005, the Jaguars installed tarps to block off thousands of seats at EverBank Field because the team simply couldn’t fill its stadium. For years, those tarps became a symbol of futility in Jacksonville.

The Jaguars are futile no more: This year they’ve won the AFC South and have already sold out their playoff game next weekend. That raises the question, Will they remove the tarps to sell more tickets?

The answer is no. Mike Kaye of First Coast News reports that the tarps will remain in place, in part because there are corporate sponsors who have already paid to have their logos on the tarps.

The Jaguars have removed the tarps for individual regular-season games when ticket demand was high in the past, but they’re not going to do it for this season’s playoffs.

EverBank Field hosts the Florida-Georgia game every year and sells out with 84,000 fans, many of them in temporary seats put in just for that game. So there’s no question that the stadium can hold more fans. But the Jaguars have capped capacity at about 65,000 and aren’t planning to change that. Perhaps winning a Super Bowl would create the kind of buzz around the Jaguars that would let them get rid of the tarps for good.

69 responses to “Despite playoff sellout, Jaguars’ tarps will remain in place

1. “Mike Kaye of First Coast News reports that the tarps will remain in place, in part because there are corporate sponsors who have already paid to have their logos on the tarps.”

You would think the team would have the option of returning the advertising costs to the corporate sponsors…..maybe they do but it’s worth more to the team to keep the tarps.

2. I think they should keep them in place regardless of sponsorships. Where were all those so-called fans when the Jags sucked? Right. Sitting at home watching something else. Now they they’re making the playoffs people wannna show up.

3. Bl00dwerK says:
    December 28, 2017 at 5:34 am

Or you could also ask, why would people want to spend their hard earned money on a bad product?

That’s why I hate the “bandwagon fans”
    You can say that about any team in any sport in any city.

If the team is bad it doesn’t make you less of a fan because you don’t want to waste your money watching a lousy team play.

If they put a good product on the field more people will show up.

4. The insult you tools always have is “where were all those fans when the team was losing” has gotta be the dumbest dig I’ve ever heard. Mainly because when a team isn’t working everyone’s argument is “if you wanna get your point across to ownership hit them in the pocketbook and don’t show up”. There’s also another sports take in some franchises that ownership has no incentive to win because they keep making money. I’m a diehard Seattle sports fan and I rarely go to Seahawks games and never go to mariners games. I live 2 hours away and have a nice man cave with a huge TV and great friends. Why would I leave all that to watch the mariners lose in person when I can watch at home with cheap beer and friends? Same with the hawks. They’re good and the stadium is fun and I absorb everything hawks. Not a bad fan because I don’t go to games. Me neighborhood is a party every Sunday.

5. Bl00dwerK says:
    December 28, 2017 at 5:34 am
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So what?

6. It is more than Sponsorship, the JAGS PR Guy was on the local sports radio station yesterday explaining that the team sets the standard with the NFL at the beginning of the season on the number of available seats. This can’t be arbitrarily changed by the team and would have to be approved by The Shield. Also, it is just two sections that have tarps which equates to more like 2000 seats not 20K. The extra seats for the Fl/GA game also include bleachers that are built just for that game.

7. There are plenty of reasons not to remove the tarps other than the sponsorships. Adding 19,000 more people than usual creates all types of logistical issues. More concession and security personnel, traffic control, parking issues, etc.

8. Seriously. Are we really gonna bring up old topics from nearly 10 years ago. For the millionth time the Stadium is tarped off and meet capacity at 65,000 which is the capacity for 99% of every other NFL market. Without the tarps the stadium is 82,000 which is for larger events such as the Florida Georgia football game. The stadium was originally built too large the market or any NFL market for that matter. Even though you wrote some of this in the article the only thing people are going to see is that headline “Despite playoff sellout, Jaguars’ tarps will remain in place”. But hey Jaguars fans are used to these false narrative so why stop now. I do find it odd that people who don’t know anything about Jacksonville or never been always seem to have the strongest opinion about this city. Funny

9. I don’t know how they can call it a sell out, if some seats are tarped over. BTW, does anyone know how many seats are tarped over?

How many seats are being filled with actually fans?

10. I dont blame fans for not showing up when they were losing. HAve to hurt the owner in their pockets, the sheep keep showing up and the owner won’t do anything since you keep filling their pockets.

11. “the team sets the standard with the NFL at the beginning of the season on the number of available seats. This can’t be arbitrarily changed by the team and would have to be approved by The Shield.”

Yeah as if “the shield” isn’t one money grubbing collection who objects to making another bucket of money. Of course the league would approve it. This is about the contracts with the corporate sponsors blocking the team’s ability to pull the tarps

12. Many of these comments are why the NFL and sports in general will either die or become a TV only product. If you only attend games of teams that are playing well, you are a bandwagon fan. That is the definition. It’s part of the new “me first” society. Perhaps the NFL should go virtual reality so that every team can win every game to make up for the new modern day fan who wants everything.

The NFL is not innocent, including my Packers, in driving away real fans in favor of corporate dollars. But real fans aren’t what they once were either.

13. I see the Jagwires are the latest to feel the wrath from the narrow-minded peabrains who like to take shots at fans who don’t blow a week’s wages to park, attend and eat at a game when the team is an eyesore to watch.

Even the Giants aren’t selling out, which was never a problem. No one wants to sit out in the cold and watch an eyesore of a team play. If you build it, they will come. That’s just human nature.

14. It’s sold out, because the 18,000 or so tarp-covered seats aren’t calculated as part of the capacity.

And even if there aren’t bodies in every single one of the 65,000 remaining seats, the tickets were sold, so they get credit for the sellout. Thought this was known for a couple of decades by now…

15. And I am a lifelong Giants fan and haven’t stepped foot in Giants Stadium since the last Super Bowl parade and the one SNF game vs. Green Bay in 2012. It’s a nightmare getting in and out of there, and I can watch the game from the comfort of my spacious man cave, with all the food and drink I want, without having to stand on line for 30 minutes to use the bathroom or deal with drunks throughout the game and commuting home. It’s gotta be a special occasion to even get me to go to a football stadium anymore.

16. “If sections are tarped off, is it really a sold out event?”

Yes ,it is. The companies that advertise have purchased those seats.

17. The misconceptions continue. The stadium was built to 84K capacity for FL/GA game and is too big for the NFL. The tarps reduced the capacity to 65K, more in line with other NFL stadium capacities (go look it up, I’m too lazy).

The Jaguars home attendance runs around 20-22nd in the NFL each year out of 32 teams and is usually the same or even more than the Steelers home attendance. No knock on Pittsburgh, if they had an 84K stadium, they would likely fill it.

It’s the stadium size that’s the issue, not the fan support.

18. Lambeau Field has sold out every game of every season since 1960. (Though, many games I go to sets a new attendance record, explain that one to me.)
    And it took me almost 30 years on the waiting list to finally get mine.

In this day and age, with the expense of tickets, parking, concessions, and general boorish behavior I’ve seen at some venues, I completely understand why most fans chose the convenience of watching the game from home.
    The expense/product has really gotten out of hand and I do believe the NFL is closing in on a tipping point that they may not be able to recover from without drastic changes.

As for me, I personally love the party atmosphere of Game Day in Green Bay and watching a game live.
    It is an investment my wife and I plan for every year, and we usually schedule a road trip vacation too.
    Usually somewhere warm.
    But, I completely understand it isn’t for everybody and I dislike the notion you have to attend games to be considered a real fan.

19. eaglesw00t says:
    December 28, 2017 at 7:32 am

If sections are tarped off, is it really a sold out event?
    ——————————–

RaiderIsland thinks so.

20. Taking the tarps off now is a bad idea. They are already beyond the curve, and demand will be low once the 2018 season starts.
    I say: let em crash!

21. For years we’ve been hearing the jokes about the tarps. Maybe now other teams will get the fact that it’s way over normal NFL capacity for a stadium. It’s not that the fans aren’t here, it’s just a simple exercise in math. Been selling out for years.

22. Bills fans sell out every game going on 17 seasons without playoffs.

No tarps needed.

If Jax fans want the tarps removed they can start acting like real fans.

23. Just an example here but chicago metro area has 9.5 million people, jacksonville metro area 1.5 million people. Soldier field 61,500, everbank(with seats uncovered) 82000 ( 84000+ for fl ga game). So some simple math would tell you for the jags to sell out 82000 they would ha e to sell a ticket to 1 of every 18 people in the city, while a city like chicago would have to sell 1 to every 154 people in the city. 1 in 18 people is kind of hard in a city that is warm most of th yr,close to the beach, and from my experience living there is more a college supporting city

24. Kevin Kristy says:
    December 28, 2017 at 9:01 am
    This is the NFL’s future. Tarped up the stadiums with sponsor logos. Keep kneeling.

0 0 Rate This

——————–

Very little to do with kneeling. I would venture to guess it’s the entire package of drama, including what we just saw Goodell do in the last 2 weeks which is lie about Jerry Richardson trying to cover up that mess, or even me watching the Raiders try to warm up the balls on the sideline over the weekend, and no punishment of any kind, yet Goodell is so concerned about falling or rising PSI and what it may or may not do for players.

LMAO

See?

I can go on and on and on…

When Goodell still went ahead and suspended Brady after admitting he had no evidence of Brady ordering some kind of bizarre and wacky idea of “deflating” balls to appease his HOF QB play, the ratings dropped in 2016.

The bottom line is, fans are tired of being treated like idiots and lied to.

And, his lack of leadership is patently appalling at this point, as they hide the dangers of CTE to try to expand into Europe and China, etc.

What’s truly bizarre, are the fans who support Goodell. It’s not an excuse that he “works for the owners” either. He’s still responsible even if he does work for them.

The league is over-saturated as warned, product watered down, but you can bet Goodell and the owners would love nothing more than to see Jax walk into Pittsburgh, win, and then go to Foxboroough and win. Watch for sketchy flags or no flags, favoring Jax.

Only parity can sell overseas. Without it, they have nothing to stand on to quell fears of an NFL product getting off the ground, competing with English Premier League and whatever else our society has their eyeballs on.

25. Where were all those so-called fans when the Jags sucked?
    ————————-
    Watching the Texans win the AFC South with no QB! Think of those tarps as participation banners.

26. sdnative1904 says:
    December 28, 2017 at 5:51 am
    84,000 is a ridiculous number for a NFL game. Reality.
    —————————–
    That’s because this stadium wasn’t built for an NFL team. It was built solely for the FL/GA game every year. I am no fan of the Jags but they get a lot of unwarranted heat over the tarps. Most NFL teams couldn’t get 84K fans to show up to a game. So they tarp them off & make a little extra money advertising. Win-win.

27. I personally think the Jags will be relevant for several years to come. I’m not too sure about Bortles, but when they brought in Tom Coughlin to oversee, with full control, the team is in great hands!! That was the smartest thing Khan has done, since he bought the team. Probably, the only smart thing he’s done……..

28. stipez says:

December 28, 2017 at 6:12 am

You call them “true fans”, I see suckers willing to drop hundreds on a crappy product.

————————————————————

I agree! These “fans” are probably the same ones who complain that the NFL is going downhill and something needs to change BUT nothing will change when people like them keep paying. That’s the bottom line. If you don’t like it, don’t pay to watch or buy their merchandise. I’m a huge fan of my team but not willing to pay a few hundred dollars to watch poor play. And no, game day experience is not worth that much when I lose interest in the first half because my team is constantly losing.

29. joetoronto says:
    December 28, 2017 at 5:28 am

====

I guarantee you that they are getting more from the corporate sponsors than they would in revenue for those seats, which are in terrible locations and would carry relatively low ticket prices. Plus, when you offset what you would make selling those tickets with what you would have to refund to the sponsors, I am sure it would be a net loss to the team.

30. CenturyLink’s capacity is about what Jacksonville’s EverBank is with the tarped seats.

Then again, any team that wins gets backlash from fans whose teams stink. Those are usually the ones with the “Where did all these fans come from?” nonsense.

31. number1hawkfan says:
    …………………………………….

—–

Nail on the head man…

I have said multiple times ” why would anyone really want to go to a football game these days?”

I live in Michigan, and most of the population is suburban just like everywhere else in the USA. I live in Ann Arbor which is not technically a suburb of Detroit and it’s an hour drive each way from Ford Field. But even in most of the direct suburbs you are looking at least half hour + traffic to get there. Then you deal with parking, ETC.

Sunday is one of my 2 days off a week, and dragging down to the stadium is an all day event. Like everyone else I have stuff I need to get done, and I like to relax on Sunday as well. Typically I get up and take care of whatever I need to before the Lions kickoff at 1pm. Then usually I catch the game either with my brother in law or a friend in one of our tricked out basements / dens. Then when the game is over i have the rest of the day to relax.

And honestly football is better on TV than in person. Unless you have primo seats it’s nearly impossible to actually see the game.

Not to mention that the NFL and it’s owners are dead seat on squeezing every possible dollar out of fans.

So why exactly would I spend hundreds of dollars on honestly a lesser way to enjoy a game that blows out my day off when I can enjoy the game for free in comfort?

32. Here is the likely outcome, if the Jags continue to sell-out the stadium, the owner will move the team to London to try to cash in and take advantage of the nuisance and discomfort that travel will have on visiting teams, to give him: more money, and better home field advantage.

It’s a lose-lose situation for jags fans. Lose and stay home, win and move the team.

I think that the 49ers have already exposed the jags so you won’t have to worry about this problem in the 2nd round of the playoffs, because there may not be any for Bortles.

33. There is a reality that the at home experience is better than the live experience. I can switch from game to game – red zone etc. The amount of stoppage is incredible. I don’t love soccer…but it’s 45 minutes of non stop ‘action’. Add in cheap food and beer no parking etc and it’s hard to compete. And of course if your team is bad. The bubble is burst with the in-game experience. And it will be hard to get back.

34. My Vikings are going to place tarps over the seats AFTER we sit down. We’re an ugly bunch, dont’cha know?

35. saaladin says:
    December 28, 2017 at 9:16 am
    Bills fans sell out every game going on 17 seasons without playoffs.

No tarps needed.

If Jax fans want the tarps removed they can start acting like real fans.
    *************************************************************
    WHEN the Bills sellout, it’s because 10’s of thousands of Canadian fans attend.

36. leatherface2012 says:
    December 28, 2017 at 9:28 am
    “with the playoffs looming in about 10 days, Lambeau field remains closed until next august” hmm, wonder why that is?
    ————————————-
    Not quite, Barney fan.
    With their Pro Shop, Hall of Fame, Restaurant, convention and party spaces, Lambeau Field is open year round.
    In fact, their stadium tours have hosted fans from all 50 states and over 35 Countries from around the world.

37. cardinealsfan20 says:
    December 28, 2017 at 6:30 am

Spot on, except you forgot one important item, restrooms!

38. @tylawspick6 says:
    December 28, 2017 at 9:21 am
    ================================================================================
    Give it a rest man! The ratings didn’t drop because of your team getting fined or your QB being suspended.
    You have got to be the biggest homer in the world. It doesn’t revolve around your team.

39. So many themes in this thread…on London, the Jaguars have a solid presence there now and a solid fanbase, many of whom post on the Jaguars message boards. We have embraced these fans and consider this a partnership.

I don’t understand the expansion worldwide. Is it so that 32 owners can go from super-rich to what? Why not focus on the 32 American teams? There’s plenty of money rolling in.

On kneeling, yes in Jacksonville it counts. It’s a city with a heavy military presence. The local VFW has a sign in the window “We no longer show NFL games.”

40. razzlejag says:
    December 28, 2017 at 10:37 am

4 0 Rate This

—————————

There isn’t “plenty of money rolling in”. The NFL has NEVER lost money before until last year and this year, with over 500 million in revenue lost.

That’s for starters.

When you are going into the next CBA, don’t just assume the owners have the leverage, because they certainly don’t with Goodell as a complete lying disaster.

When the current CBA expires, the fact is, the union has as much leverage they’ve ever had because of CTE issues, Goodell caught lying so many times in federal court, and Goodell himself failing in 2011 to be the leader in brokering the windfall CBA deal for the owners. That was Bob Kraft, a guy Goodell has burned twice, in framing them for things that never occurred.

Fans are leaving in droves, less eyeballs on tv screens with a god awful product, the worst I’ve seen since the early 1990s right before Tagliabue introduced the Salary Cap concept, which essentially saved the league and built intot what we used to know it to be.

Goodell has recently helped destroy it and he should have been fired during the Ray Rice cover up.

He’s doubled down numerous times since and the waning ratings reflect this.

So, in the owners’ minds, they want to become multi-billionaires with international expansion.

Yes, they want EVEN MORE MONEY. YES.

That’s the whole point from their view. It doesn’t matter what you think. This is what you kids of today don’t get. Follow the money and you’ll find your answers.

I think they think CTE will go away as a discussion if they have a larger pool of young football players to pull from for the future of the game, hence the reason why they are hellbent on putting a square peg in a round hole with expansion. They’re delirious with greed. YES.

Some of you are so naive.

PS It doesn’t matter if Jacksonville has a heavy military presence. The ratings continue to drop regardless of any kneeling or non-kneeling and their market was already so bad to begin with, they were playing the most games in London more than any other team. And, they signed up to play even more games FIRST, prior to 2016. Jax’s market has VERY little impact on the tv revenue, which is why there is revenue sharing in the first place. Duh. It hurts Kahn’s gate money, sure, but the real money is comning out of the tv deals, not the gate money, unless you’re a perennial powerhouse like Dallas, NE, the Skins, GB, Pitt, etc.

41. dexterismyhero says:
    December 28, 2017 at 10:23 am
    @tylawspick6 says:
    December 28, 2017 at 9:21 am

3 3 Rate This

——————–

Yes, they did.

The tip of the iceberg was really the Ray Rice Fiasco. Once people saw Goodell lying about domestiv violence to keep his buddy Steve Bisciotti’s Augusta National membership open and help Baltimore try to remain strong to beat NE and keep parity in the AFC, that started the ball rolling in how much baggae comes with

Then, once Goodell appealed his Deflategate loss in a federal court, after admitting they had no evidence, he then told the NFL customer that it doesn’t matter if anything happened or not, it just matters that he bastardize “Article 46” in any way he wants, including lying, defaming and cheating players, teams or coaches/owners.

He then follows that up doing a favor for John Mara, deflecting from the Kris Brown domestic case, shifting faux outrage and faux blame over to Dallas, a divisional rival, defaming and stealing money from Zeke Elliott.

Every college educated fan who is honest knows this stuff, and it all has added up.

42. razzlejag says:
    December 28, 2017 at 10:37 am

======
    Do you have any proof whatsoever that the kneeling affected attendance or ratings in the Jacksonville area other than a VFW, which I suspect the NFL never saw as a major profit center?

43. What are they the Raiders of the East? Oh that’s right the Raiders never had a home playoff game in the past twenty years. Viva Las Vegas! Nice Tarp Oaktown!

44. Not surprised that ticket agencies bought up all the tickets, as they usually do. The question is who will support a league that has given the middle finger to the country where it does business.

45. A moot argument if the Colts and Texans stay healthy next year. The Jags are last year’s Raiders… a short trip to the playoffs and then back to mediocrity

46. “The question is who will support a league that has given the middle finger to the country where it does business”.

You do realize that no one cares about kneeling anymore? There are no boycotts, no one is walking out of the stadiums.

The fake outrage has past. Absolutely no one cares.

47. Tebow would have won this playoff game unfortunately the Jaguars have Blake Bortles. Enjoy your quick playoff exit Jaguars fans.