Light poles are being greased in Philadelphia

Getty Images

If the Eagles beat the Vikings on Sunday night, fans in Philadelphia may be rather exuberant. Local officials already are taking steps to limit the extent to which the exuberance is manifested.

Via FOX9 in Philly, crews are applying canned grease to light poles in order to keep fans from climbing them after the game.

While that won’t keep the fans from doing what pumped up (and liquored up) fans may do, it’s a small step toward limiting the potential damage that will unfold if the Eagles qualify for their third Super Bowl, and their first since 2004.

61 responses to “Light poles are being greased in Philadelphia

1. Coach Pat Shurmur: If your are the Next New York Football Giants Head Coach of the Four (4) Time Super Bowl Champions …. Your mission starts to tonight…

2. We Green Bay fans wish Philadelphia good luck in this game against the hated Vikings. But, what’s a light pole?

3. I’m kinda torn today as i long for Philly fan suffrage so do i root for their hearts to be ripped out AGAIN today or do i prefer it happens on the grand stage in 2 weeks??

4. I’m one of the few non-Eagles fans that is all about Philly fans. Love the passion and disrespect they dish out. Closest thing to soccer hooligans in the NFL.

5. “And whatever happens after a win tonight will pale in comparison to what would happen if the Eagles beat the Jaguars or the Patriots in two weeks.”

We can all be thankful for the fact that there is no way that will happen. Whew!

6. And who is going out there on Monday to wipe all the grease off? You don’t want that washing off in the rain and going all over the sidewalks making them slippery. Slip and fall lawsuits against the city will be up next week.

7. They are concerned with what will happen if they win…that shouldn’t be the concern…wait till they lose tonight then be CONCERNED!! SKOL!!!

8. Let em celebrate any way they want.
    After all it’s been almost 60 long years since they won a championship.

9. Greasy light poles. Horses with mouth retainers. I’m sure there’ll be some sort of other ridiculousness that’ll transpire.

10. all I have to say to the Viking fans is you had better hope you win tonight or else you will have EAGLES fans coming to your town for the next 2 weeks and you will be having to live with what could have been. with that being said GO EAGLES !!!!!!!

11. Chicago greased the goal posts before the 1985 Bears NFC Championship Game too, believing fans might tear them down.

It turned out fans left the posts alone and did the Super Bowl Shuffle in their seats.

Sometimes you got to give us a little credit.

12. Centered00 says:
    January 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
    Only in Philadelphia. Keep it classy Eagles fans.

————————————————————————————-

Unfortunately, you have bought into the myth that Philly fans are worse than fans of other teams. It’s complete B.S.
    When Jon Elway was still QB’ing the Broncos, I took my wife to old Giants Stadium to see him play against the Jets. As soon as the gates opened, we went in the stadium and were seated way up in the nose bleed section in one end zone. It was a sunny day and not too cold, and we weren’t unhappy to be up there. As the fans starting rolling in, a group of about 20 men came up the aisle next to us and sat higher than we were by about 10 rows. They were just a few rows from the top. You could tell they had been indulging in their favorite beverages, and they started hollering down at the Broncos players who were warming up below us. They were using profanity and saying all kinds of stupid stuff. It annoyed me, and I told myself this might be one of those games I’d regret attending.
    A few minutes after they came in, a guy who was maybe 40 came out of the portal with his wife or girlfriend, and made their way to seats in front us about 2 rows back from the railing. They were Broncos fans, and he was wearing a Broncos coat and hat, and she had on a beautiful leather coat with the Broncos helmet embroidered on the back. Just when they were about to sit down, one of these classless jerks heaved a full plastic cup of beer at them and hit the lady right squarely in her back. The beer went all over both of them and even in her long blonde hair. her male companion turned around and started screaming at them begging whoever did it to come down and fight him. A security guard heard him screaming and immediately called on his radio for assistance. Within about 30 seconds there were about 15 security officers and one real cop in our section. They asked the group to point out the guy who threw the beer, but of course, they wouldn’t do it. The cop asked my wife and me if we saw who did it as well as others around us, but none of us saw who did it. I told the cop loud enough for the group to hear I wish I did see who did it because I would have pointed him out.
    The cop warned the guys that he would arrest anyone for any more behavior like that, and they posted a security guard all the way up behind us for the rest of the game. They took the guy and his lady somewhere else. Later on late in the game, I happened to be using my binoculars to look in press row and the guy and his lady were in a luxury box and she had a different coat on. I’m assuming the Jets took hers to have it cleaned and bought her another one somewhere and had it delivered to the stadium.
    That was one of the most classless things I’ve seen at any stadium, and I have been to both Philly Stadiums to see both baseball and football games. I wear my Packers gear whenever I go to NY to see a game, or to Philly to see a game with my brothers, and I’ve been cursed at more by NY fans than Philly fans.
    Here’s two more Giants Stadium truths. About 15 years ago, a fight broke out in the parking lot of the stadium after the game, and a guy was knifed. Ironically, the guy doing the knifing was a janitor at the elementary school in my town.
    The second incident happened maybe 15 to 20 years ago. A guy left Giants Stadium and was driving drunk. He slammed his car head on into an oncoming car with a father, mother and young daughter in it. The parents were both hurt badly but survived but little girl was killed instantly. It got very little press (that the guy had been at a Giants game) because “unofficially” the Giants immediately contacted the families’ lawyer and agreed to a huge payoff. I know that to be true because I have a friend who was a NYC cop and worked the games at Giants Stadium for both the Giants and Jets. He told me that is what happened.
    Go to any NFL Stadium — especially at a late or night game — and you’ll see jerks — who are probably drunk — doing stupid stuff. It’s why I stopped going to NFL games.
    But Philly is not alone or any worse than fans of any other team.

13. Philly would not be so bad if it were a short drive from the biggest city in America
    Philly folks suffer from NYC want to be
    So close yet so far NYC the home of the financial district the rangers,, Yankee’s and yes the Giants even the jets have more SB trophies they philly

Philly would be fine if they were located some place far away from the #1 city in America

14. One last stat for the stat obsessed Barneys.

File this under “Oh yeah…I forgot about him”

Alshon Jeffery. LIFETIME. Vs. Minnesota:

9 games

46 catches

685 yds.

15.22 YPC

SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS

And..that’s with mutts like Josh McCown and Jay Cutler tossing him up the rock.

The common denominator in ALL those games?

Xavier Rhodes.

Just sayin….

15. So sad cuz if Carson Wentz doesn’t tear his ACL all these Viking fans would be scared. What no one understands is Philly has already has won this season they have a great team and an amazing franchise qb that will only get better as time goes on. NFC Championship after losing Peters, Hicks, Sproles and Wentz is pretty impressive.

16. I honestly think the Vikings might shut them out. They have ONE offensive touchdown in th last three weeks and the Vikings are the number one defense. Let’s go.

21-0 is my final prediction.

#Skol

17. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    January 21, 2018 at 9:45 am
    ————————

LOL!!!!!!!

18. dizzybruhbruh33 says:
    January 21, 2018 at 11:57 am

21-0 is my final prediction.

#Skol

They must not put a premium on education up there.

19. TheBisonCometh says:
    January 21, 2018 at 11:53 am
    One last stat for the stat obsessed Barneys.
    File this under “Oh yeah…I forgot about him”
    Alshon Jeffery. LIFETIME. Vs. Minnesota:
    9 games
    46 catches
    685 yds.
    15.22 YPC
    SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS
    ——————————
    So that’s an average of 5 catches, 76 yards and 0.8 tds a game.
    Not exactly worth bragging about, but whatever gets you up.

Philly might get shutout tonight.

20. theright0pinion says:
    January 21, 2018 at 9:56 am

Instead of greasing the light poles they should electrify them.
    ———————————————————————————————-
    Dude, they’ve been electrified since the 1880’s when they replaced all the gas lanterns.

21. No need to grease anything but the eyes of the Philly fans.
    The Vikes win big tonight. BIG!

I worked for the state of Florida in water MGMT. We had light poles out in the boonies. We tried grease and only stopped short at electrifying the poles.
    People can and will tear these poles down if they want to and there is not a damn thing that can be done.
    Accept electrifying them and that is frankly against the law.

22. “That’s with mutts like Josh McCown and Jay Cutler tossing him up the rock.” Because we all know Foles is such a step up from those mutts, right?

It will be an interesting match-up no doubt- but I’m thinking if Rhodes can shut down OBJ and Julio Jones- I’m thinking Jefferies is going to be mostly a non-factor in this game.

23. Wisconsin’s Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says:
    January 21, 2018 at 9:45 am
    ====================
    And Viking fans wonder why they get no respect?

24. The part Florio forgot to mention was that they’re doing this because of the guy who got drilled by a half empty grey goose bottle on top of a light pole after the Philies won the 08 World Series…

25. The fans in Philadelphia need to show the world that they are better then the image people have of them. I have friends there, they will enjoy a win today, if not, then its on to the 2018 season. Bill

26. I have only one request, before you go to “The mall of America” tomorrow to ease your pain please stop by and show your face. I have been to TMOA…its a mall!..lol. but what else there to do in Minnie. I spent a week in Minneapolis-Saint Paul when I was younger, nice people and very friendly….obviously those people don’t post here.17-13 EAGLES…FLY EAGLES…FLY

27. pushn50 says:
    January 21, 2018 at 12:24 pm

====================
    And Viking fans wonder why they get no respect?
    ———————————
    This coming from a fan base who boos Santa Claus?

28. packertruth says:
    January 21, 2018 at 1:23 pm
    Hope Xavier Rhodes gets called today for his subtle grab of the receiver’s shoulder pad at the top of the route.
    ——————–
    As a packer fan, at least you are consistent.
    Hoping for penalties is the packer way.

29. As a die-hard Eagles fan since the Roman Gabriel era, and as someone who has watched both of these teams with detail this year, I can understand completely why people are picking the Vikings. But the comments stating that the eagles won’t even score or that the Vikings will win easily just smack of fan ignorance, arrogance, and hater-ism. They also make me *really* want to see the Birds kick the Vikings’ tails all over the place!! Go Birds! A win tonight would be made all the sweeter because of these Viking fan comments!!!

30. mnvikes1961 says:
    January 21, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Has either of those slappys thrown for SEVEN tds in a single game or even won a playoff game? Thanks for babbling.

So when J-E-F-F-R-E-Y had a 200 yd 2 td day on Rhodes…..was that being a non factor?

Oh, that’s right….this is where you parse the stats to where you try and hide the fact he didn’t tap dance on your boy’s head like he was Gregory Hines.

31. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    January 21, 2018 at 12:17 pm

TheBisonCometh says:
    January 21, 2018 at 11:53 am
    One last stat for the stat obsessed Barneys.
    File this under “Oh yeah…I forgot about him”
    Alshon Jeffery. LIFETIME. Vs. Minnesota:
    9 games
    46 catches
    685 yds.
    15.22 YPC
    SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS
    ——————————
    So that’s an average of 5 catches, 76 yards and 0.8 tds a game.
    Not exactly worth bragging about, but whatever gets you up.

Philly might get shutout tonight.

Since you are feeling strong Mr. Puffy Chest and calling your shot, I’ll call mine:

Your midget QB will NOT finish the game. Because if you didn’t learn anything from last year, your interior line was horrid against this defensive front and that was before Jernigan showed up.

So, whatever gets YOU up, Barney.

32. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    January 21, 2018 at 12:53 pm

pushn50 says:
    January 21, 2018 at 12:24 pm

====================
    And Viking fans wonder why they get no respect?
    ———————————
    This coming from a fan base who boos Santa Claus?

Because, everything that happened 60 plus years ago matters now, right?

So, going with that line of logic, the Barneys don’t have a shot because they always choke in this situation.

At least, before your lifetime, right?

33. TheBisonCometh says:
    January 21, 2018 at 11:53 am
    One last stat for the stat obsessed Barneys.

File this under “Oh yeah…I forgot about him”

Alshon Jeffery. LIFETIME. Vs. Minnesota:

9 games

46 catches

685 yds.

15.22 YPC

SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS

And..that’s with mutts like Josh McCown and Jay Cutler tossing him up the rock.

The common denominator in ALL those games?

Xavier Rhodes.

Just sayin….

***

@bison cometh. I’ve tried biting my tongue but you’re a homer.

First of all, 7 TDs In 7 games? Wow. Alshon has three games +100 yards against the Vikes. Rhodes wasn’t the common denominator at all. Alshons biggest game against the Vikings was when Rhodes was a rookie, and was also covering Brandon Marshall (#1 receiver). Vikes also had the names of Chris Cook, Jamarca Sanford and Josh Robinson. Vikings were also the #32 ranked defense that year. Also, Alshon has a 3-6 record against the Vikes. Stop yappin.

34. 13worldchampioinships says:
    January 21, 2018 at 3:06 pm

TheBisonCometh says:
    January 21, 2018 at 11:53 am
    One last stat for the stat obsessed Barneys.

File this under “Oh yeah…I forgot about him”

Alshon Jeffery. LIFETIME. Vs. Minnesota:

9 games

46 catches

685 yds.

15.22 YPC

SEVEN TOUCHDOWNS

And..that’s with mutts like Josh McCown and Jay Cutler tossing him up the rock.

The common denominator in ALL those games?

Xavier Rhodes.

Just sayin….

***

@bison cometh. I’ve tried biting my tongue but you’re a homer.

So, the fact that’s the most TDs he has scored against any team in the NFL, including the two he scored tonight…that’s meaningless, right?

Plus, I never knew they attached win-loss records to wideouts. That must be a new stat created for cheeseheads.

Stick to trolling the Barney fans. You’re way out of your league.