Who else will discuss contract parameters with Brees at Scouting Combine?

Getty Images

It’s not really news that the Saints and quarterback Drew Brees (more accurately, his agent) will discuss the parameters of a new contract at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. With all teams and all agents in town for multiple days, it’s a given that discussions will be had, especially when one franchise is facing the theoretical loss of one of the true, short-list franchise quarterbacks.

The real question is whether and to what extent parameters of a contract for Brees will be discussed by agent Tom Condon and other teams. Yes, Brees has said on multiple occasions that he plans to stay with the Saints. Even if he’s not testing the Saints in order to see whether they use his words as a way to lowball him (personally, I think he is), it’s impossible to properly evaluate the quality of the offer made by Drew’s current team without knowing how he is valued by other teams.

There’s a dollar threshold below which an offer from the Saints to Brees will be regarded by the player as an insult. That threshold can’t properly be determined without knowing the ceiling that other teams would offer.

What if, for example, the Vikings decide to reprise the Brett Favre experiment, breaking open the vault (and sending Brad Childress to the airport) in an effort to go all in for the pursuit of a Super Bowl with Brees on board? If they’d offer, say, $30 million per year on a two-year deal, a Saints offer of, say, $23 million per year on a two-year deal would look much different than $23 million per year would seem to be in isolation.

Whether it’s the Vikings, the Broncos, the Cardinals, the Jets, the Browns, or anyone else, what’s lurking behind Door No. 2, No. 3, No. 4, No. 5, No. 6, or beyond will go a long way toward assessing what the Saints place behind Door No. 1. Before Condon gives Brees a recommendation on what to do about the offer from the Saints, Condon will need to be able to put New Orleans’ offer in context.

Of course, teams making their actual or hypothetical offers known to Condon constitute tampering. But that’s how the game works, and every team plays the game. Especially at the Scouting Combine.

37 responses to “Who else will discuss contract parameters with Brees at Scouting Combine?

1. Of course you pay Brees $30/per for 2 years if you don’t have a franchise guy. Jags/Vikings/Broncos would be foolish not to take that deal. It would make all 3 teams instant contenders (as if they all 3 aren’t already).

2. It is one thing to tamper with a #2 WR or an inside linebacker, it is quite another thing to tamper with a man who will be the all-time NFL passing leader during the 2018 season. Maybe the NFL needs to tell Tom Condon in no uncertain terms…”no tampering with Brees allowed” or we pull your agent credentials.

3. Putting too much drama in this. Brees is entrenched in New Orleans, the team, and the community…He’ll retire a Saint, book it.

4. I would love if my Vikings got Brees. It won’t happen, but I would love it. The Vikings have just as strong of a roster as the Saints. Maybe better receivers, TE and Defense.

5. Okay, so some other team suggests that they might pay Brees $60 million for two years. Do you think the Saints won’t match that? Do you think Brees will be so insulted by whatever their initial offer is that he’ll have a hissy fit, leave his home and a good young team, and sign with some other team for spite? I think other teams would be smart to try to drive up the price for Brees, but the end result will be that Brees is still with the Saints.

6. I don’t see him going anywhere…His agent is just doing his job, see what offers are out there, and then giving the Saints a countermeasure to make an offer.

7. doubleogator says:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:07 am
    =========

This is such an awesome and inspiring narrative. Drew Brees not only plays for the Saints, he IS a Saint.

The fact is that unlike Tom Brady in New England, Brees did NOT give the Saints any type of hometown discount on his last contract, insisting that his contract at the time make him the highest paid QB in NFL history, despite knowing that it would cripple the Saints cap for years to come.

He has never left a dime on the table. I would be careful assuming he will this time around.

8. If the Saints pulled another 7-9 season, I’d say there’s a chance he goes to a dome field contender.

BUT, the Saints pulled in one of the best draft classes in the history of the NFL and won the NFC South, while missing the NFC Championship game by one play!

Zero chance that Loomis low balls him and Brees isn’t walking away from his legacy in New Orleans and the chance to win another SB with this young and talented team.

9. Well if it was the Patriot looking for a QB and they approached Condon it would be the biggest cheating scandal since Bountygate. But for everyone else it’s OK to look the other way like they still do with football PSIs they won’t report.

10. If I’m Brees, I leverage this contract as the first fully guaranteed deal. Whether it’s 3 or even 5 years. A good QB is the difference maker in the league. Set the precedent for other players. It’s amazing that the NFL just throws away players after they get injured. Given what their bodies go through, their deals should be guaranteed.

11. The Saints come within one blown (rookie) play of the conference championship (and I think most of us believe they would’ve at least made a better showing, if not outright winning)so what would make a new situation MORE attractive?

A few dollars more?

12. tinye67 says:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:02 am
    Please Rick….offer 30-35M for each of the next 2 years and Minnesota will finally have a Super Bowl win!
    —————————————————————–
    Brees may just be the best to ever play the game, but he’s no miracle worker.

13. ajzinnecker says:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:09 am

————

C’mon….no need for Brees….you guys are going to roll with Teddy.

14. I don’t know why teams don’t take the easy bypass to tampering. Just have a player from your team announce that “I bet our team would pay him $30m for 2 years, all guaranteed”. Heck, he could spell out the entire contract offer.

15. Brees isn’t going anywhere, Florio. I heard you with Paul Allen of the Vikings trying to make a case re Brees going to the Queens.

Drew Brees is a hero and icon in NO. He’s not another Favre. He ain’t going anywhere.

16. Denver should offer him the Brinks truck. I am not a Broncos fan, but I could see Brees winning it there or for the Saints.

17. eatitfanboy says:

#1 no player should leave money on the table. Any player is one injury away from having his career end, and the idea for him like most of us is to maximize your career earnings.

#2 People need to stop talking about Brady’s contract. He gave a “hometown discount” last year so that his per game loss during suspension wouldn’t count for much. It’s never a perfect comparison but Brady’s contract value when all is said and done is $41MM. Brees is $24.25MM. It’s all in how it is structured.

I think there are a few QBs who don’t think of their teams when maximizing their own salaries, but I think it is few and they tend to be exposed as not worth said contract pretty quickly (think Joe Flacco). Brees is not one of those people, and he remains one of the top QBs ever to play the game. I do not think it is 100% he stays with the Saints, but I definitely don’t think he should be begrudged for figuring out what others will pay him.

18. If I’m the Saints, I’d take a hard line on Brees; It’s time he gives back so they can spend money on other areas of the team that need help.

If I’m Saints management, I say 19 mil a year is our ceiling. Take it or leave it.

19. Brees left a bunch of money on the table with his last 1 year deal… He could’ve easily gotten at least another 3 to 5 Mill on the open market.

20. eatitfanboy says:February 22, 2018 at 10:19 am
    =======================================

Let’s not give sainthood to Brady quite yet. Unlike Brady, Breese is not married to a super model who makes $100 million/ year. He could afford to give that discount.

21. This dude lives for spending every second he can with his wife and kids. He’s very involved with the kid’s school and his wife their foundation. Very rooted in NOLA. It would be fun to see him somewhere else as well as seeing how Sean Payton would do with a different QB but that’s not happening this year.

22. In Teddy We Trust says:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:16 am

——-

No kidding. Brees is a non-starter. Besides, we went down that road with Favre. No guarantees – I’d rather roll with Keenum, draft a good QB and build a winner that way.

23. The only advantage of signing elsewhere is getting out of the NFC South or the NFC all together, the Saints could miss the playoffs next year the conference and their division are that loaded. Or yeah, go to Jacksonville and have basically a cake walk to a show down with Tom Brady for the AFC Championship.

He should retire a Saint though.

24. reddzen says:
    February 22, 2018 at 11:58 am
    eatitfanboy says:

====

I actually agree with much of this. I agree 100% with #1. As for #2, Brady may not be giving “discounts” but certainly has allowed his money to be structured in a way that kept his cap number reasonable. His cap number has never exceeded $20M in any one season.

And I certainly have no problem with Brees shopping himself. My only point was that anyone who thinks Brees is going to accept significantly less from the Saints may be kidding themselves.

25. granadafan says:
    February 22, 2018 at 12:40 pm
    eatitfanboy says:February 22, 2018 at 10:19 am
    =======================================

=======

Who gave sainthood to Brady? I was just using his situation for comparison purposes. Brady’s cap number has never exceeded $20m for any single season, where Brees’s has been $30M.

26. nhpats says:

February 22, 2018 at 10:37 am

ajzinnecker says:
    February 22, 2018 at 10:09 am

————

C’mon….no need for Brees….you guys are going to roll with Teddy.

————

As much as I like Teddy as a person, and what he has done for the city of MPLS…he’s too much of a wildcard with that terrible injury that happened to him.

The Vikings have a 3-4 window of making playoffs runs with the young talented defense, great receivers, and overall good roster. They need a good QB! Case was good, but we don’t know if he will be good again. History of his career shows he plays good sometimes. Teddy may never be the same again! Going all in and getting Brees if it was even an option should at least be a thought.

27. Sure he’s gonna leave his home, move the family, leave a talented team, and leave SEAN PAYTON. Not likely. They finish each other’s sentences they know each other so well. He is married to the Saints franchise and everything associated with it. He’ll get enough money to be happy and stay. This is a click bait story.

28. eatitfanboy says:
    February 22, 2018 at 1:22 pm
    granadafan says:
    February 22, 2018 at 12:40 pm
    eatitfanboy says:February 22, 2018 at 10:19 am
    =======================================

=======

==============
    Brady is not a smart business person if he’s leaving millions on the table because of his wife. That’s idiotic. My employer pays me what I’m worth or can negotiate but NEVER does my wife’s salary factor into it.

Pro football is just that a profession. You get paid to play. Eating trophies for dinner doesn’t work. Nice recognition but I don’t need the employee of the month parking space. Pay me. Brees is doing as he should get paid and let the GM figure out how to stock the team with talent. Brady and Brees can choose to do what they feel is right for them but neither is selfish or taking the right/ wrong approach just different.

29. Even if he’s not testing the Saints in order to see whether they use his words as a way to lowball him

And why would they do this? What sense does that make? And will you admit you’re wrong if/when he re-signs with the Saints the way you’ve had no trouble calling out Bill Polian?

30. Just an opinion from someone in NOLA , Brees is majorly woven into New Orleans he has a large family his kids all go to school here, he is involved in their schools, charities, events they are treated like royalty not to mention he is very close to Sean Payton and his teammates and the fact that he was involved in nearly every aspect of the rebuild over the last three 7-9 seasons, seasons where if not for him the Saints go 3-13. He stuck around for that and IN A CONTRACT YEAR he decides with Sean Payton to make the offense less about him and more about running the ball (which lead to a lot of chatter about him falling off). I don’t see any chance he leaves especially considering the team they built is ready to contend.

As for the money he shouldn’t have to take a discount he already did. Folks forget that when he first came to NOLA in 06 he signed a 6 year 60 mill. deal. In that time he won a Super Bowl and played at a level number wise top of the NFL. He took that deal at the time because he was hurt. Most players would have wanted a new contract after the first year or 2. He played that entire deal out never asking once for a new deal and many times said a deal is a deal I get a new one once this one is done. He paid his dues so it’s unfair to say he is being greedy.

31. Drew would help the Vikes Brees into the Super Bowl… see what I did there. On a serious note, as a Vikes fan, I believe this team’s strength is their overall team. Realistically, save 13 million and sign Keenum to a two year 17 mil/yr contract. Then take the extra money and spend it on defense/o-line. Keenum is plenty good enough to get this team to a super bowl, with the supporting cast he has around him.