Geno Smith joins the flat earth “debate”

Getty Images

The ancient Greeks figured out that the earth was a sphere about 2,500 years ago, and Magellan proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt 500 years ago.

Geno Smith believes it’s still open to debate.

Smith said on Twitter that he is beginning to believe that NBA player and noted flat-earther Kyrie Irving has a point.

“I been studying this whole flat earth vs globe thing,” Smith wrote, “and I think I may be with Kyrie on this.”

Smith got more than 2,000 responses to that tweet, and he then engaged in a lengthy Twitter conversation with some who agreed with him and some who think he’s an idiot. In the end, however, he seemed persuaded by the evidence that the earth is, in fact, round.

“Hey guys I’m glad we had this talk today it was fun lol I know how you all love to debate on Twitter so this was good,” Smith wrote. “For the record Earth is a globe we know this. But why not listen to someone else’s beliefs or ‘truth.'”

Listening to others’ beliefs is never a bad idea. But if you’re listening to someone who believes the earth is flat, you’re not listening to “truth.”

110 responses to “Geno Smith joins the flat earth “debate”

1. Can’t imagine why someone with such obvious, overwhelming intelligence hasn’t made it as a professional quarterback.

Ah well, another of life’s mysteries that will probably never be solved.

In a related story, our cats just pushed all of our cups over the side of the earth. Now what?

2. That we listen to someone elses “truth” – which by definition is not true because its false – is part of whats wrong with the direction of our country.

3. He may be correct. I work with a person that went to college with Geno. He told me that he was so smart that he passed a class without ever showing up.

4. Not smart enough to learn the Jets or Giants playbook. Maybe it was the concussion(s), give the moRon a break.

5. “Listening to others’ beliefs is never a bad idea.”

That sounds like the correct, open-minded thing to say, but it is not true. Some ideas are just stupid and counterproductive. Take Alex Jones, for example.

6. Science denial is all the rage these days –

“The Earth is flat”

“PSI never changes because of temperature”

“Billions of tons of fossil fuel pollutants thrown into the atmosphere every year have no effect on the environment”

“Global warming is actually going to be good for humans”

Just a small sample of what I’ve heard just in the last few weeks SMH

7. bvolke says:
    February 24, 2018 at 5:11 pm
    Flat earth believers are a special level of stupid reserved for the lowest of IQ’s.

—————————
    I don’t think they are stupid, just trying to be arbitrary for the attention.

8. The Earth is a globe. Flat Earth theorists use a bunch of psedu-science to convince people that don’t know better.

The truth is that most people can’t provide proof of the Earth being a globe that 1. Isn’t from a dismissed source (NASA) 2. Can’t appear to be disproved by their alternative theories

9. I can’t stand Geno, but he is clearly just bored & trolling everyone ..if you think he actually believes that the Earth is flat, then you’re the idiot.

10. I guess we figured out why this guy never had what it took to be a successful QB….and it seems that reason may not only be his low football IQ, but his IQ in general.

11. It’s 2018 and people are seriously considering this nonsense. Believing in a Flat Earth causes me to instantly lose all respect for someone. Such ludicrous idiocy….

12. As someone who’s had the curiousity to look into these Flat Earth “truths”, not because I believed it could be true, but I have a fascination with understanding how so many people can believe something that seems so stupid on the surface (no pun intended)

And what I found was actually interesting. Even though there are clear holes in the theory and a lot of it it based around the conspiracy that NASA is full of it, there’s actually a surprising amount of logic behind their theory, even if it’s flawed. I’m not suggesting anyone buy into the theory, but conventional “truths” have been proven wrong before, it’s never a bad thing to expand your mind and try to look beyond the echo chamber of society once in awhile

13. When you live in a world where people are now debating if there are more than 2 human genders or if men can become women (and vice versa) if they think about it long enough, stupidity like this couldn’t be far behind.

Welcome to your liberal utopia Mike.

14. He’ll be what we look at bible thumpers 100 year from now.
    ——-
    That’s dead on. And the sooner the better.

15. briang123 says:
    February 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm
    All he has to do is go the edge, take some video, and post it to social media. What’s stopping him?

——————-
    Because that would be very dangerous. Since its out at sea its a giant waterfall that would suck you over the side with it if you got too close. Im still trying to figure out how the ocean hasnt emptied yet. And think of all the poor fish that got sucked over the side. Its probably where the dinosaurs went. And the Giants.

16. comeonbigtds says:
    February 24, 2018 at 5:12 pm
    SMH. Flat Earthers are how we got the current President.

————————-
    I dont think you want to go there given how he was a Clinton supporter.

17. Does the sun revolve around the earth or the earth around the sun? Both are irrefutable and need not be contradictory. Both subjective and objective points of view are valid.

18. I am a flat earther….when I first heard about it, I spit my coffee out on my computer because it was the dumbest thing I ever read. So I set out to smash it, and debunk it. About 3 years later, I’m a firm FE’r

19. Um, I think we all know Geno and Kyrie were not being serious. The fact that you found this newsworthy means that someone has trouble recognizing a tweak when they read one.

20. endtimesparty says:
    February 24, 2018 at 7:04 pm
    ___________________________________________________________

Actually…the FACT is the earth revolves around the center of mass of the solar system, which is not the Sun. It is close, but not the center of the Sun itself. People need to be lifelong learners and stay informed in all facets of life.

21. dmwilliams0124 says:
    February 24, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Which tells us everything we need to know about you and any of your past or future takes…

22. Millions of people around the world have jumped onto the flat-Earth concept via social media where anything they hear becomes reality. I have read very smart scientist buy into this stuff debating gravity vs density among other things. The internet is a gift and a curse. I don’t think people even use common sense these days. I have to assume a lot of people promoting the Earth is flat are just trolling everyone.

23. Wellman says:
    February 24, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    briang123 says:
    February 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm

——————-
    ———————-
    It would only be dangerous if he went to the edge in a boat. It would be a lot safer if he just took a plane or helicopter.

24. Hey Geno you dumb moron: truth is not a word you can put in quotes. Some of us have children and we don’t want pea brains like you corrupting them. If you don’t have something intelligent to say, then shut your trap.

25. dmwilliams0124 says:
    February 24, 2018 at 7:11 pm
    ====================================

Then that was not coffee

26. I know that the first person i’d Seek wisdom about the universe, the meaning of life, etc. would be Geno Smith. We could solve a lot of problems if we stopped listening to idiots

27. SMH. Flat Earthers are how we got the current President.
    ———————————————————–
    I would give that 10-billion thumbs up if I could.

28. To misquote AH’s Dean Faber regarding Geno’s beliefs – “Flat (earth), dumb and stupid is no way to go through life son!”

29. that’s nothing, many college graduates and at least one corporate executive making 40 million a year never learned that gas pressure varies significantly with temperature.

30. 23 6 Rate This
    mackcarrington says:
    February 24, 2018 at 7:45 pm
    Wellman says:
    February 24, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    briang123 says:
    February 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm

——————-
    ———————-

But how far past the edge does the air extend? What if you forget and fly out into space?
    I was also concerned about the pescatorial dilemna. This has been the best run of comments in years. Thank you all, Geno most of all, for an hilariously enjoyable morning coffee, some of which had to be wiped off the table, which is flat, I think.

31. mackcarrington says:
    February 24, 2018 at 7:45 pm
    Wellman says:
    February 24, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    briang123 says:
    February 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm

——————-
    ———————-

————————-
    Air has weight too. So in this scenario it too would be flowing over the side and would take the helicopter with it. But I dont know why they dont take that Zmillenium Falcon thing out fir a look. I belueve the Falcon could fly down under to see whats there. What if there was another civilization on that side? The NFL could try to put a team there.

32. ‘ Im still trying to figure out how the ocean hasnt emptied yet. And think of all the poor fish that got sucked over the side. Its probably where the dinosaurs went. And the Giants.’

No, the Giants are still around. The’re just not so noticeable these days with not making the playoffs and what not.

33. Doesn’t surprise me that people have such bizarre views. Look at how many people who have been sucked into the progressive movement believing it means progress. People can be conned into believing anything.

34. The blind leading the blind. These are our future leaders folks. It’s not going to get any better from here on out.

35. a belief is adherence to an idea as true in the absence of evidence to support it.

Sadly, there are way too many people who “believe” all manner of untrue things.
    The beauty of having a belief is you’re not tied down to facts or reality…. You can believe whatever you want.

Too many think beliefs are more important than facts….and should be used as the basis of making others adhere to their fantasy.

36. It’s like the “debate” around biological evolution vs creationism except that there’s far more evidence of evolution being the fact that it is than Earth being a oblate spheroid.

We see this all the time.

37. Ever notice its never airline pilots or sea captains questioning this (you know guys that navigate the globe for a living)?? Just guys who bareley finished high school and people who never left the state they were bron in.

38. He’s trying to promote actually listening other points of view.

Amazing how many are too lazy to read through and put any thought to it. Everyone who thought their clever Witty response on how stupid he is has in turn exposed your ignorance. Lol tried to keep it short for you

39. I believe those who think there’s ‘value’ in ‘listening’ to falsehoods widely and fully proven to be untrue, and in opposition to reams of empirical evidence demonstrating that their falsehood is, in fact, a falsehood…. those who think “listening” to this has merit… are engaged in something other than reasoning.

40. Wow, a lot of the comments on here back up Smith’s true point. He was kind of commenting on the fact that many people today always assume they are right and do not listen to one another. The reason politics are so polarized now. People having a preconceived opinion and they refuse to listen to anyone else.

How did he prove this point? Because it would seem a good portion of you just read the headline and then jumped straight to commenting without actually reading the article. They are so sure what they think is more “right” than anything they can read.

Fact is, Smith says at the end of his tweets that he does not really believe in a flat earth. But you would actually have to read to figure that out, instead of jumping to a conclusion.

And to the person that mentioned Smith being a bad influence on their kid, I hope you kid does learn from Smith, because in school it is better to read the information as opposed to just assuming you know better.

41. raymondmac says:
    February 25, 2018 at 1:05 pm

============================================

It is called analytical thinking. You know, taking in the facts and judging them for yourself.

There are so many reasons to learn to do this.

2) For a person to learn to think about facts critically, even if they disagree, makes you a better thinker. Your brain is not unlike a muscle that needs exercise. There is a reason that debaters do not always get to pick their side of a topic. They have to learn to argue things they do not believe because it develops important skills that will help then the rest of their lives.

I can think of a million things that we have learned because someone did not just accept what they were told was true. What if the early scientist that first thought the earth was round had just listen to what the rest of the world knew was “true.”

42. “justamoguy says:
    February 25, 2018 at 2:31 pm

There are so many reasons to learn to do this.
    1) To better be able to prove that the argument is wrong. If you are having a discussion with someone you disagree with, which approach will have a better chance of changing your mind. If I listen and discuss specifics of your argument and what I think is wrong about your facts, or just not listen and say, “Your dumb?””

Er – um – don’t you mean “you’re” (you are) dumb?
    ________________________________________________

One thought for Smith and his pal Irving to discuss next time: If the earth really was flat, cats would have pushed everything over the edge centuries ago.

43. Stay off twitter. It’s filled with Russian bots. And it’s not as if we’ve not seen earth or countless other planets from space. There’s documentation.

44. Geno must be one of these “perception is reality” meatheads. Just because it seems to be flat from your perspective, it is, right, Geno? Don’t let scientific facts get in the way of your fantasy. Remember, having an opinion doesn’t mean you have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

45. skawh says:

February 25, 2018 at 5:54 pm

————————–
    NASA CGI doesn’t count buddy.