Muhammad Wilkerson expected to visit Packers

Getty Images

The Jets announced the release of defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson last week and it looks like we know what his first stop will be as he tries to find a new team for the 2018 season.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Wilkerson is expected to make a visit to Green Bay to kick off his job search.

Wilkerson played for new Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine when Pettine held the same job with the Jets during Wilkerson’s first two NFL seasons. That would provide some familiarity for Wilkerson in a new home and, if he signed with the Packers, return him to working with someone from better days after closing his Jets tenure with two down years.

The Packers are expected to focus attention on building up their defense following the departure of defensive coordinator Dom Capers at the end of the 2017 season. New General Manager Brian Gutekunst has indicated that the team will be more aggressive in free agency than they were when Ted Thompson was running the personnel department.

28 responses to “Muhammad Wilkerson expected to visit Packers

1. Make sure to offer a low base with large incentives, so he actually plays hard.
    Include stiff fines for late/missed meetings otherwise he sets a bad locker room example.

2. I can see it now… GB’s next big off season signing who is going to be trans-formative to their dline like Martellus Bennett was to their passing game. I wonder how many games it would take before Wilkerson to quit on them too.

3. Wilkerson may look and act like a true gentlemen, but make no mistakes. He only care about himself. Aka the Gold Digger.

Buyers bewares.

4. Yes, the Defense needs some building up, but I honestly don’t believe Wilkerson is the way to go.
    Phenomenal talent with a lazy attitude, who takes too many plays off.
    I would much rather go with someone lean and hungry.

Oh, and try not to be so bitter, allight59.
    I understand that 57 straight years of mediocre/bad football would turn just about anyone into a jealous, angry, self loathing hater, but chin up, I’m sure that sad and pathetic franchise you cheer for will get lucky one of these seasons.
    Law of averages and all that.

5. nathanp2013 says:
    March 5, 2018 at 12:55 pm

——

Quit was well defined in last year’s NFC championship game. No need for comparisons, that one took the cake!!!

6. arclight1972 says:
    March 5, 2018 at 12:40 pm
    Make sure to offer a low base with large incentives, so he actually plays hard.

///////////////////////

He’s not going to agree to that. He is a proven player “show me the money”

7. He’s going to Green Bay first because he has no intention of signing there. He wants to do a free agent tour to get as much money as he can. Not too sure about this guy. If somebody gets him on a shorter prove it deal he will probably be good. But once he gets the guaranteed money he will be back to his lazy ways.

8. Christopher S says:
    March 5, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Buyers bewares.

This applies to 95% of these guys. Datone Jones sucked for three years until his contract year then he made sure he didnt faint injuries and he played hard to get that big contract. Its an all about me me me me world in the NFL these days

9. The Pack may be desperate for D-linemen, but I suspect not desperate enough to cough up big dough for that guy.

10. Never heard of the guy. Not that I don’t know who it is, just never heard his name mentioned among the better players at his position. The Jets wouldn’t have canned him if he were good on the field and good for the team. It’s not like they were so good and had too much depth.

11. ^^Well, he is quite talented and his first two years he and Sheldon Richardson were the best at their position, or amongst them. Wilkerson and Richardson eventually showed that they had attitude and discipline problems, so that’s why they’re gone. Good, but undisciplined.

Maybe it was just a result of that locker room. They wouldn’t be the first to have that kind of issue there. If that’s the case, there’s hope they can turn it around. But only time will tell.

12. I wonder if it has dawned on Wilkerson how much it cost him for being a knucklehead. Probably not. He’s probably delusional enough into thinking some other team will give him a huge contract. I seriously doubt that would happen and any team dumb enough to give Albert Haynesworth 2.0 a lot of money deserves him.

13. Quitter? Goldbrick? They said the same thing about Charles Woodson. That worked out pretty well. You have to have a man to man with a guy like that, look him in the eye while you hear his side of the story.

14. Packers decide to lust after players other teams have dumped.

Isn’t that Free Agency? lol.

15. The Packers reportedly liked Wilkerson the year he was drafted. He was picked 2 spots before Green Bay selected in the 32nd spot. That’s where you pick when you just added a 13th trophy to the case.

16. CheeseisGoodforYou! says:
    March 5, 2018 at 5:40 pm
    I’ve heard he hates the color purple.
    ———————————

I heard the Vikings like green and yellow because it means an easy day at work for them.

17. Liberalsruineverything says:
    March 5, 2018 at 5:52 pm
    CheeseisGoodforYou! says:
    March 5, 2018 at 5:40 pm
    I’ve heard he hates the color purple.
    ———————————

_________________________

Well, it’s obvious to anyone with eyes that the Barneys hate a crowded trophy case.

18. Any team that signs him better sign a contract full of incentives. If a team gives him guaranteed money, he will loaf, whine, and show up when he wants to. After he got the big contract from the Jets, he got fat and happy – became a locker room cancer. Don’t believe it if he claims to have “changed”.

19. The Packers reportedly liked Wilkerson the year he was drafted. He was picked 2 spots before Green Bay selected in the 32nd spot. That’s where you pick when you just added a 13th trophy to the case.
    =====

27 Jimmy Smith
    28 Mark Ingram
    30 Mo Wilkerson
    31 Cam Heyward

43 Kyle Rudolph

.. At 32 overall, the Packers got Jamon Meredith.

Draft what if is brutal most of the time, Meredith’s gruesome leg injury notwithstanding.

20. Jamon Meredith was a fifth-round pick in 2009. The Packers’ first-round pick in 2011 was Derek Sherrod. That isn’t much better, but let’s be accurate.
    ====

Yep.

So memorable, I got his name wrong…..