Stephen Ross says his comments were misconstrued

Getty Images

On Monday night, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross reportedly said that all of his players will be standing for the anthem in 2018. On Tuesday, Ross has revisited the issue via a statement issued by the team.

“I have no intention of forcing our players to stand during the anthem and I regret that my comments have been misconstrued,” Ross said. “I’ve shared my opinion with all our players: I’m passionate about the cause of social justice and I feel that kneeling is an ineffective tactic that alienates more people than it enlists. I know our players care about the military and law enforcement too because I’ve seen the same players who are fighting for social justice engaging positively with law enforcement and the military. I care passionately that the message of social justice resonates far and wide and I will continue to support and fund efforts for those who fight for equality for all.”

Ross explained on Monday that the intended message has been undermined by the fact that the protests have been politically twisted into something they weren’t mean to be. His Tuesday remarks echo that sentiment, by pointing out that kneeling during the anthem “alienates more people than it enlists.”

It’s unclear what was misconstrued regarding his comment, as reported by the New York Daily News, that “[a]ll of our players will be standing.” Maybe it was a prediction and not a mandate. Regardless, it’s clear where he stands on the issue of standing.

It’s also clear that he realizes that his words have sparked renewed interest in a topic that had been dormant for months.

50 responses to “Stephen Ross says his comments were misconstrued

1. In the rush to report the story first, you guys often get the story wrong. It forces you to rewrite the story to amend the error(s).
    What are we to believe?

2. The only thing that passes in 2018 is ‘no comment’. Don’t explain yourself, don’t talk ‘frank’. Unless you are saying you love everything and all growing things, you will get bbq’d.

3. So, he’s all for making the players stand in 2018 until he gets some media backlash and his comments were now misconstrued and he’s all for them kneeling? When the fans react today with anti-Dolphin comments, will he go back to making them stand?

He’s flipping so fast, I’m confused as to where he actually stands on the issue.

4. “I regret that my comments have been misconstrued,” Ross said.”

Misconstrued was correct.

5. Well Steve, maybe you should just stop talking. If, in your mind, kneeling “alienates more people than it enlists.”, that makes you complicit in their ignorance.

6. You have to be impressed by how the social engineers have divided Americans in all things, even sports. That they blame it on the Russians while showing up at Russia-sponsored woke rallies is high comedy.

7. learysdisciples says:
    March 6, 2018 at 10:44 am
    What are we to believe?

—–
    That’s one way to look at it. Or maybe after getting blowback Ross came out and back peddled a little. Ross said his statement was misconstrued. Misconstrued doesnt mean the words reported were wrong it means Ross believes the way his words were interpreted was wrong.

8. noross says:
    March 6, 2018 at 10:58 am

———————

Well, he is right. The kneeling is pointless.

9. The NFL is an entertainment company, first and foremost. If a player negatively affects entertainment value and negatively impacts revenue, how can the NFL be found liable for not employing such player? I’m not saying what he has said and done is right or wrong but from the most basic stance, how is that wrong?

10. one of the moron owners
    _______

At least he’s not spending his time trying to hide the fact that he’s a new father at 76 with his 38 year old gold digger girlfriend.

11. That the intended message has been undermined by the fact that the protests have been politically twisted into something they weren’t mean to be.
    ______________

This is exactly right. Players like Kenny Stills and Michael Thomas do so much in the community with the police and fire forces as well as kids that they are putting action to their intentions.

12. The country has and will be always divided until White Americans understand the lasting effects of the crime this country perpetrated against the people of color in this land. First, why should any person of color stand for a flag that supported listing them as 3/4 of a person or slavery, Jim Crow, lynching, employment, housing, judicial, imprisonment, and every important indicator of quality of life. You must be crazy if you think the flag means the same as it does to those who are not a person of color.

13. Mr.Ross ~ I’m passionate about patriotism and the American way of life. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

14. Athletes have been socially active since the beginning of sports. It’s hilarious to me when people talk about, “they need to put their plans into action.” They’ve already done such, their voices need to be heard by the masses and the only way to do that is to make those who need to feel uncomfortable, uncomfortable.

15. Stephen I will help you and be your Public Relations person. Just tell everyone the truth; You are conflicted between social justice demonstration and making $$ money. It’s OK just have your staff hire a new back up quarterback now that Matt Moore will not be resigned. His name is COLIN KAEPERNICK!

16. If he really cares, then he would bring in Colin Kaepernick for training camp, and give him an opportunity to show the league if he has anything left.

17. I’m not a dolphins fan but by all accounts this is a pretty decent person for an owner. He has mostly said the right things and seems to try to relate to the issues at hand. I don’t get why people are putting the screws to him for something like this. It’s difficult to constantly speak to large groups and not make mistakes. I can’t imagine what my life would be like if everything I said was taped and analyzed.

18. Noah Webb says:
    March 6, 2018 at 11:27 am

————-

19. Don’t back pedal! I loved your first position. These disrespectful and entitled players need to know what sacrifices our forefathers and current soldiers go through to protect that flag. Our soldiers who die in battle come home in flag wrapped caskets. That’s the ultimate sign of respect. You think kneeling isn’t disrespectful? What do you think the families of those fallen soldiers would say?
    These knuckleheads think they can just say it isn’t disrespectful but it doesn’t work that way. Actions speak louder than words. Bottom line.

20. Ross: “My statements have been misconstrued. I plan to release any player who doesn’t stand for the anthem and I will not sign any players who do not stand for the anthem, but I have no intention of forcing players to stand for the anthem.”

21. These players are divas without facts. Millions get arrested every year, only a handful of shootings. All of the time, it was the criminal that instigated the shooting.

22. Noah Webb says:
    March 6, 2018 at 11:27 am

——————–

Build a bridge and get over it. If you’re an American, stand for the flag.

23. Dude, I have no issues with people calling attention to current issues. I even don’t view kneeling during the anthem as an attempt to disrespect the flag, military or country. However, bringing up old stuff like slavery and the rest of the BS that happened in the past does not help the argument for fixing today’s issues.

———————————————–

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can’t have one without the other. Cause and effect my friend. Today’s issues are directly related to unresolved issues of the past.

Don’t be so short-sighted.

24. The fact that people think the injustices of the past have no effect on the current state of people of color is ignorance at its best. You cant’t move forward with any efforts of correcting the wrong unless you adequately address the disadvatages that arose from the past unequal treatment. That’s like a race where one runner is given a 50 yard head start with all the professional training needed and the other is not provided any plus you tie down one of his legs. How is that fair?

25. Well, predictably that didn’t take long. Like I said this morning, partners. It’s an easy word to spell. I know these team owners don’t like it, but the players don’t work for you. You make money with them. You need each other unlike the people in your other business ventures. Without them, no one would watch and the problem for you whether you like it or not, is that a significant amount of your partner group has these issues. If you were in baseball or hockey, you wouldn’t have those problems.

This goes for the fans who are so turned off too. Do you think they care if you don’t watch. Fox just paid half a billion to put bad Thursday games on and the cap went up again $10 million. Don’t think the revenue stream is hurting from you saying you won’t watch anymore (although I’m highly skeptical since you continue commenting on this).

Sooner these knuckleheads get this through their heads, the quicker they can stop putting their feet in their mouths over this matter.

26. in the NFL some balls are inflated and some are deflated. Steve Ross on the other hand can’t seem to find his.

27. I bought my first season ticket in 1973. I did not renew this year! My reasons for abandoning the Dolphins include Ross’s poor stewardship! This kneeling issue is one of the many reasons. I will not pay someone to insult me. I wrote Ross a letter, which explains his legal right as an employer to demand that all players maintain a neutral posture by standing. Ross is too weak of a leader to keep his team out of polarizing issues regarding politics and religion.
    In addition, the team has not gotten better. Each year is like Groundhog day. Last, customer service treated me and my friends poorly. We (6 tickets) asked for simple service and got the run around on multiple occasions.I also have Panther tickets. My personal representative is wonderful. Who would continue to pay a company top dollar for a substandard product enveloped in a substandard service, let alone a weak owner who thinks the Miami fans are poor fans.

Does Ross actually believe that fans in any venue will make the trip to the stadium and watch a loser team in all kinds of weather when they can stay home and watch the same mistake ridden game without paying for tickets, parking and overpriced concessions. Compare those arrogant Patriot fans trecking to Foxboro in snow and ice to sit for hours on a wet seat in the cold! Why? They love the team and the owner! Dummies like Ross need to pay attention to the fans.

28. This just sucked the wind out of my sails as a lifelong Dolphins fan. Sad to hear that he feels that way. Players are Dolphins employees. They should take their own personal time to picket whatever they want and not use their forum as players to do it. As a fan, I expect my team to stand and honor that flag.

29. The flag represents our country. Kneeling during the national anthem disrespects the flag and therefore the country. Anyone who does that is wrong IMO.

30. For all those who say kneeling during the National Anthem is disrespectful, a little test…

Let’s say a player knelt during the National Anthem to draw attention to the plight of disabled veterans in this country and how they are treated after they return home from war.

Would you have a problem with that?

If the answer is no, but you still have a problem with Kaepernick kneeling, then you don’t have a problem with the Anthem being disrespected, you have a problem with minorities appealing for social justice.

In other words, the problem is you.

31. What I see in these posts are more unequal treatment and divide hiding behind patriotism and a flag.

32. promickey says:

=====================================================

The last game of Kaepernick’s career was played in Miami and he almost got booed out of the stadium. The very last play of his career was being sacked by the son of Cuban refugees who fled from a dictator that Kaepernick praises.

33. major respect for this man
    when 1/2 of Americans hate the other 1/2, it is refreshing to find someone who tries to bring people together

34. Amazing – people are so blind
    last time I was at a game, standing at the concession booth waiting for a beer
    the Anthem started, hundreds of people around, talking, shuffling and only one or two stood still
    seen a video of senate – anthem playing, most sitting, playing on their i-pads
    people seem to be always looking for some reason to hate, this is the sad part about America today

35. promickey says:
    March 6, 2018 at 11:42 am
    ——————
    Are you nuts? With the Castro shirt incident? His stadium would be empty. I am shocked that you lack any insight. Living under a rock?????

36. Tell me if I am wrong. I Don’t beleive anything i read or hear from the media because imo the media at times try to create stories rather than report. When they actually do what they are supposed to do they will report what they have seen or heard based on what side of the fence they sit or what side of the fence whoever pays their wages sit. If it’s important to me I will find the interview and make my own judgement. Quite often the true interview is normally pretty tame to what they have reported or twisted. Imo there is to many media outlets trying to be more outrageous than the other one.

37. 27 5 Rate This
    Noah Webb says:
    March 6, 2018 at 11:27 am

51 76 Rate This

_______________________________________________

As you put the blame on only white people. No you don’t sound very racist at all. Love how you lump all white people together. If one is racist then they all are. Am I hearing you correctly. Classy comment. Way to change the world buddy.

38. He did say he likes Trump. He simply applied Donald Trump’s way of doing things. A flip-flop here, a flip-flop there and before you know it, everyone’s left scratching their heads.

39. Sorry, but being a vet, having served my country and finding myself at times in some uncompromising situations and during those times, to look upon that piece of cloth blowing gently in the breeze, it gave me a reassurance that back home things were ok and that generations before me must have looked upon it in a similar manner. Those of you who disrespect it in any way have no clue what so ever.

40. daytontriangles says:
    March 6, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Would you have a problem with that?

In other words, the problem is you.
    ——————-

Kneeling during the singing of the national anthem, for anything, serves no purpose, other than to further divide people.

41. I’ve compiled a list of all the things the kneelers have accomplished during their first 2 months off of work that have made a difference in their communities:

42. How can you defend a situation where people of color represent around 13% of the population but are incarcerated at rates 5.1 times more then Whites. Where are the patriots at defending against this injustice? Where are the outcrys from White Americans who see that there is something inherently wrong with this situation. If you are not out openly protesting or constructively acting to dismantle a system that allows these numbers to existed. Then you are part of the problem and not the solution. Don’t give me this crap about disrespecting the flag. The flag is flown over an injust nation and when someone points it out you become angry at him. A true patriot should applaud those who are comfortable by themself but has enough humanity left to care about others.

43. When I whine about a perceived injustice against me now I say i am “raising awareness”

44. Oh Dayton, a vet would never expect anyone to take a knee on there behalf, you remain clueless