A team asked Derrius Guice if he likes men

Getty Images

The calendar says 2018. Some NFL locker rooms remain trapped in 1960.

Running back Derrius Guice said in a Wednesday night appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio that a team asked him at the Scouting Combine if he likes men. (PFT separately has confirmed via a source with knowledge of the situation that the question was asked.)

It’s a question that keeps getting asked of incoming players, regardless of how many times the fact that it was asked leads to a supposedly increased awareness regarding the importance of not asking questions like this. Two years ago, cornerback Eli Apple faced that question in a pre-draft interview with the Falcons. The NFL dubbed the question “disappointing and clearly inappropriate,” and the league vowed to look into it. Three years before that, a team asked tight end Nick Kasa if he likes girls. The league dubbed the topic impermissible and said that persons asking such questions would be subject to discipline.

And yet it still continues, proving that the NFL will continue to issue the perfunctory press release objecting to questions like this but will ultimately fail to solve the problem, once and for all.

67 responses to “A team asked Derrius Guice if he likes men

1. If you think about the NFL as a workplace, it is kind of crazy that your potential employer would ask about your sexual preferences in your interview.

2. I’m amazed that teams are even able to get away with this – try asking this question in an interview of a potential employee in any other business and all heck will break loose.

3. Yeah, cause 1960 was so horrible. Imagine having to once again deal with families that consisted of moms, dads, and kids….and people believed in God. Oh the horror.

4. Does that question somehow have something to do with football ? I’m lost as to why an NFL team would ask a question like that.

5. Bill Belichick is a great, great coach. He’s also fortunate to come along at a time where he’s competing against a bunch of morons. I mean, can you imagine Bill Walsh asking a question like that?

6. that’s a silly question, obviously he likes men.
    He has spent the better part of his adult life surrounded by them, coached by them, playing with them and, one assumes socializing with his teammates. So, yeah.

Would it be credible if he said No, I don’t like men?
    He’d be one awfully conflicted dude to say that.

7. They aren’t governed or have regulations imposed on them for asking that question. There’s nothing wrong with it but there’s many reason to ask, and if you watched his combine interview on nfl network it could make you wonder.

8. I know bigots won’t see why this is a big deal so let me explain. A potential employee is asked several questions at a job interview designed to screen out the ones they want and don’t want. If someone’s sexuality is a basis of employment then that is a discrimination.

9. I like the question. Was it uncomfortable for him, did he get mad? Did he laugh it off? Was he honest? Did he freeze up?

What better way to put someone on the spot by asking him questions he may find uncomfortable. How might this 20 year old handle adversity after we give him millions of dollars, how’s his temper, what makes him tick?

Did they ask him to run a race, of 40 yards, too? Did they make him breathe hard and everything? The nerve of these people…

10. If this was an office setting than there would be no reason to ask that question but these guys are showering and in locker rooms with each other. Maybe there is some concern over possible harassment from someone on the team if signed.

11. Those having bias and judgmental disregard for those they see as different and worse, less than, less deserving of equal treatment under the law…will hide behind falsehoods and superstitions perpetuated by stone age belief systems in defiance of science and human understanding.

12. The same people saying this is a non-issue (knowing they couldn’t do this in their workplace), are the same people that will compare their 9-5 to that of an NFL player when they get jealous, even though there are no similarities whatsoever. Can’t have it both ways.

13. I honestly don’t think it’s ok to ask the question but for those who are comparing this to other “regular joe” jobs. What other job entails men getting naked with their coworkers to take a shower after work? It’s not a normal job. I’m still not a fan of the question cause it doesn’t change the player he is. It may change the dynamic of a locker room though unfortunately.

14. I could see Bellicheck, McVay, And the Eagles asking strategic, x’s and O’s Questions.

Then you have your meathead, tough guy coaches asking these kinds of questions. I bet I could narrow that question down to 5 teams that might have asked it.

15. First, what does someone’s orientation have to do with their ability to play football at a high level?
    Second, we told repeatedly during the last season by people upset over protests that the NFL is a workplace like any other and the players are employees like the rest of us. We would not be allowed to protest at our work places, thus they should not be allowed to protest while at their “work.” No employer is allowed to hire (or not hire) someone based solely on sexual preference, so why is the NFL an exception? Can’t have it both ways.

16. Those of you who say there’s nothing wrong obviously are not in positions where you interview and hire people. It’s illegal to ask this, among other things, in a job interview. It has no impact on the ability to perform the functions of the job.

17. “If you think about the NFL as a workplace, it is kind of crazy that your potential employer would ask about your sexual preferences in your interview.“

Why would I think of the NFL as a workplace? In every workplace in America if you kneel in protest of anything in front of your customers, you’re fired.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

18. Hopefully, one day no one will care if the question is asked, and no one will be bothered by the answer given.

19. I just want to know what his sexual orientation has to do with his play on the football field or how he represents the organization in the community? I hope someone can answer that for me and give me and do so with a valid non-discriminatory answer.

20. “arwiv says:
    March 7, 2018 at 9:38 pm
    Yeah, cause 1960 was so horrible. Imagine having to once again deal with families that consisted of moms, dads, and kids….and people believed in God. Oh the horror.”

People believed in God yet committed massasive racial violence anyways during that time.

21. Next time someone says “I couldn’t do what player X did at my job”.

Remember this..and the question that was asked about Dez Bryant’s mom

22. arwiv says:
    March 7, 2018 at 9:38 pm

_________________________

I’m not sure what country you’re commenting from, but in the United States of America these types of invasive questions are NOT acceptable during a job interview. It’s sad that basic privacy issues interfere with your idiotic interpretation of family values.

23. What if he then punched the person that asked the question? Guess it would have served the purpose of asking. I’m guessing he didn’t so, check that box.

24. Most of these posts are disgusting. Small
    people (mentally speaking) who hide behind keyboards and will make no contribution to society and wouldn’t know how to if we paid them to do so. I would seriously consider a test for voting.

25. In 2018, if everyone is so accepting, why is this a bad question? If it’s no big deal to anyone, wouldn’t it be the same as ” what’s your favorite color”?

26. I hope the media jumps all over the NFL team and the team executive who asked Guice the inappropriate question – if he liked men. Name another job interview where something like this gets asked? It is unprofessional yet it happens year after year with no consequences.

27. Stupid question and probably useless in the larger sense.

But then again – if being asked sets you off and you need a “safe space” to deal with the horror of being asked a stupid question – I don’t exactly look up to you for your “courage” either.

There’s no guarantee you’ll go through life without being asked stupid things or being offended. How you respond to it says much more about you than the actual answer to the question.

28. suncawy says:
    March 7, 2018 at 9:38 pm
    Does that question somehow have something to do with football ? I’m lost as to why an NFL team would ask a question like that.“”

The truthful answer? because despite what players say while being interviewed, the majority of players would still be uncomfortable with a gay dude on the team and in the locker room. Teams would rather not deal with that or the media hype that comes with it.

29. I like men and I like women. Many of my good friends are men and I hang around with men quite often, drinking, carousing and what not. I hunt with a group of men and we act live juveniles at times. In fact, there are times when I would prefer to hang out with men than my wife.

Do you think they meant, are you gay?

30. Know who wouldn’t have asked this question?

Vince Lombardi.

Coached during the 1960s, if you’ll recall…

31. They let the teams get away with murder anyways why not. The NFL picks and chooses what teams and players can and cant offend on the NFL’s team. No wonder ratings are in the tank

32. therealsmiley says:
    March 8, 2018 at 4:27 am
    Most of these posts are disgusting. Small
    ————————-
    Be careful what you wish for, you might not pass it either.

33. pftidbro says:
    March 8, 2018 at 6:44 am
    suncawy says:
    March 7, 2018 at 9:38 pm

– – –

That’s not why they asked this question. Not in the slightest.

They asked it because the team wanted to say something upsetting to him to see how he would react. This is really no different than when the Dolphins asked Dez Bryant about his mother. They just wanted to upset him to see how he would react; they didn’t really care about his mother’s personal choices.

34. Some of these comments are ridiculous. We’re living in 2018 now. Some states have laws legalizing same sex marriages. Why are these questions still even being asked?

These same people agreeing that it’s a fair question probably throws a fit when a player sits for the anthem.

To the comments saying it’s to “throw him off” to see how he reacts – other companies have spent millions of dollars in R&D for interview methods and questions that are within legal and ethical boundaries. I’m sure they could have easily gotten their hands on one these methods that probably does a better job at probing personalities and reactions than asking if they like men.

35. The lack of an investigation and/or disciplinary action over this act will solidify that the NFL is a discriminatory organization. There is no other conclusion.

36. The question wasn’t intended to be prejudicial it was to protect a player on a team (playing for the other team). This world is so much more accepting than it used to be it’s all news bull crap. My grandfather who is 84 (first gen European Immigrant who thought Mussolini was a decent leader) laughs hilariously at Titus Andromedon a gay African American. If you told me in 1988 hearing him talk around the dinner table that he would even allow a character like that on TV, let alone end up accepting my cousin, and not banishing him from his house and family, I would have bet my life there was ZERO chance that could be possible. The world has changed and is more accepting the media a dying medium is using the smallest percentage of people it can find and make it seem like the world is ending! I drove by a “protest” in Orange County yesterday leaving home for illegal immigrants to be granted amnesty.. ya 7 people. I get home literally see my car on tv driving by and watch newscast and they are saying “Scores of people protesting outside the courthouse”. I was like WTF!?? I have now personally experienced fake news!

Believe what you want (or how they are programming you) but really think abou 40 years ago when people were trying to find equality versus what you see today? Sure some people just got better at “holding it in” but there are also those who have truly evolved.

If you don’t turn down your rhetoric though you’re going to push them away instead of moving them more to the center and create a whole new generation of bigots.

Everyone STOP!

37. Here’s a wild thought: Why dont u let football teams decide how they want to run their team rather than try to micromanage and overregulate them like some Nanny State? Gotta love it when pencilneck dorks who never played a snap in their life try to tell football people how to operate. Same with desk jockey bureaucrats who meddle with army people

38. “If you think about the NFL as a workplace, it is kind of crazy that your potential employer would ask about your sexual preferences in your interview.”

Oh, I don’t know… if it were applying to an employer where every employee was a man, AND shared shower facilities, I kind of might see it coming. I would almost expect it. People who DON’T like being hit on by other men while naked have rights, too, even in 2018. And even in 2018, to call them the vast majority, not to put too fine a point on it, kind of understates actual reality.

39. I have seen hundreds of articles on this claim. Thousands of words written about how terrible the NFL is to potential players have been written. Yet this poor player can not remember who who asked him the question or which team they are affiliated with in the NFL? Based on the facts presented their is no evidence anyone in the NFL said a single word. If someone said it was horrible and should be punished. But if it is untrue it is also horrible and the Media should be punished for running with an unproven allegation based on no factual evidence turning it into a Federal Case.