Bryan Bulaga on Packers future: No news is good news

Getty Images

New Packers General Manager Brian Gutekunst has talked about being more aggressive in free agency than the team was when Ted Thompson was making the personnel decisions, although that will be tough without creating more than the $15 million in cap space that they currently have at their disposal.

There’s been talk about doing that by cutting or restructuring the deals of veterans like wide receivers Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson. Right tackle Bryan Bulaga could also fit into that group as he’s due to count $7.9 million against the cap a year after playing five games due to an ankle injury and a torn ACL.

During an appearance on ESPN Milwaukee Thursday, though, Bulaga said he hasn’t heard anything from the team about a change to his status.

“My agents were in Indy last week, and we haven’t heard anything,” Bulaga said. “I guess my thought process on all of that is, ‘No news is good news.’ To me, I’m getting ready to help the Green Bay Packers win football games next year. That’s what I’m doing. I’m preparing myself, getting myself back ready to help this team win football games. To me, I’m not even really worried about any financial aspects of what’s going on or contract talks. That’s out of my hands. We haven’t heard anything but even if we did, I’m not even worried about that. I’m more worried about getting back, getting ready as soon as possible and being ready to contribute when I get back.”

As for when that might be, Bulaga said he expects the rehab process “is going to take me all the way up to training camp.” The Packers drafted a pair of tackles in 2016, but both Jason Spriggs and Kyle Murphy also ended last season on injured reserve.

32 responses to “Bryan Bulaga on Packers future: No news is good news

1. The ineptitude of Ted Thompson will continue to haunt GB for the foreseeable future.

As for Aaron Rodgers – – – TRADE HIM!!!!!

This, from a GB “shareholder.” I’m sick of seeing his mug all over the place.

2. No oline, no running game, no defense – GB has the highest rated LT in the league, a more than solid C and LG. They need to figure out which of the guys or an outside guy or two fill the right side.

Two promising young backs. Jones had the second highest YPC in the league for a back with over 75 carries.

Defense: they didn’t have one last year, but it’s a new season with a new GM and a new DC, so it ain’t the “same old, same old.” The roster is a big question mark right now.

3. dynastyfootballforme says:
    March 8, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Aaron needs more $$ so they have to cut all his friends
    ________

By “friends,” I assume you mean “coworkers who put up with him because he’s the only thing separating their team from the Browns.”

4. In Teddy We Trust says:
    March 8, 2018 at 1:42 pm
    dynastyfootballforme says:
    March 8, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Aaron needs more $$ so they have to cut all his friends
    ________

——-

You assumed. Nothing much of value in it after reading your assumption.

Now go assess your teams QB situation and re-watch the NFC championship.

My God at least when you make a joke, try and be funny.

Never mind. Your a bitter viking fan.

5. irishgary says:
    March 8, 2018 at 1:56 pm

@teddy

So says the guy whose team doesn’t have a QB
    ________

Sorry, I didn’t realize the prerequisite for commenting on a Packer story. Can I come back next week?

6. andrwken says:
    March 8, 2018 at 2:17 pm

You assumed. Nothing much of value in it after reading your assumption.

Now go assess your teams QB situation and re-watch the NFC championship.

My God at least when you make a joke, try and be funny.
    ________

Who’s joking?

7. He played all 16 games in 2016 and only missed a handful of games in 2015, not to mention he’s a pro bowl right tackle that rarely gives up a sack. Come on…..stop talking smack

8. Viking dominance in 2017 led to two NFC North coaches losing their jobs and almost cost McFatty is job as well. Viking dominance in 2018 will be the final ending to McFatty in GB….

9. Many thanks to all the trolls for pretending their advice for improving the Packers means anything. If anybody knows anything about being pretenders, it’s the Vikings and they’re fans.

10. In Teddy We Trust says:
    March 8, 2018 at 2:26 pm
    andrwken says:
    March 8, 2018 at 2:17 pm

You assumed. Nothing much of value in it after reading your assumption.

Now go assess your teams QB situation and re-watch the NFC championship.

My God at least when you make a joke, try and be funny.
    ________

Who’s joking?

\\\\\

Thanks for clarifying,

Now we know your bitter, not funny, and have no idea what constitutes a good football team.

11. andrwken says:

March 8, 2018 at 3:23 pm

In Teddy We Trust says:
    March 8, 2018 at 2:26 pm
    andrwken says:
    March 8, 2018 at 2:17 pm

You assumed. Nothing much of value in it after reading your assumption.

Now go assess your teams QB situation and re-watch the NFC championship.

My God at least when you make a joke, try and be funny.
    ________

Who’s joking?

\\\\\

Thanks for clarifying,

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

you don’t have to be bitter to know the Pack stink!

12. @teddy,

I’m sure you’ll be back next week and comment on every Packer story, that’s what children with no life do.

13. idk why people thought he might be a cap causality. aside from having troubles staying healthy from time to time hes a top ten right tackle.

14. Packers can “create” $11M in cap space or free agents by releasing the likewise constantly banged up Clay Matthews. And they should. This is Blake Martinez’ defense now.

15. allight59 says:
    March 8, 2018 at 3:05 pm
    __________________________

Mike Mccarthy has the 14th best winning percentage in the history of the League. Zimmer is one scared rookie fart from continuing his Marvinesque streak of playoff futility.

When will the Vikes quit on Zim in 18? After the bye week? playoffs? Heck keep them on an airplane an extra hour and the defense revolts. A leader.

16. Packers can “create” $11M in cap space or free agents by releasing the likewise constantly banged up Clay Matthews. And they should. This is Blake Martinez’ defense now.
    =====

I’d like to see Clay back and play likely passing downs only.

See if he can’t stay healthy and productive on a pitch count.

17. stellarperformance says:
    March 8, 2018 at 3:10 pm
    —————————————

I will look forward to your well thought out advice for the Vikings on the next thread about Cousins and the QB situation.

18. ariani1985 said:
    March 8, 2018 at 1:29 pm

it should be an epic battle for 3rd place between the Pack and bears next year.

——————————————————————————–

ariani is predicting that the Lions will take the NFCN this year, after the Vikings take the cellar!