Richard Sherman meeting with 49ers

Getty Images

Richard Sherman‘s greatest moment as a Seahawk came when he caused the NFC Championship Game-clinching interception against the 49ers. Now he may play against the Seahawks twice a year, with the 49ers.

The Seahawks cut Sherman on Friday morning, and the 49ers wasted no time getting in touch: According to The Athletic, Sherman had dinner with 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan on Friday night. Adam Schefter of ESPN adds that Sherman will have a meeting with the team today and a contract could get done.

Sherman, who will turn 30 this month, is coming off a season-ending Achilles tear, as well as a surgical procedure on his other Achilles. But he’s expected to be healthy in time for Week One.

After that Sherman-led loss to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game, the 49ers went into steep decline. But they ended last year on a five-game winning streak behind new quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, and their moves this offseason show that they’re serious about building a winner. If the 49ers sign Sherman, it’s the strongest sign yet that the 49ers-Seahawks rivalry is back in a big way.

48 responses to “Richard Sherman meeting with 49ers

1. Will the 49er fans change their feelings from hatred to joy once he signs? I think so. Sherman is a great player and great for the community.

2. With the Rams and 49’s loading up on malcontents I expect
    regression on those two teams.

3. Come to the bay R Sherman. This is the perfect place for you. Your Alma mater is practically right down the street you can be in the sidelines watching Bryce Love’s historic season, silicon valley investment opportunities, great coaches, easy for your family to take the drive up the coast to watch the games, and you’ll be playing for the most storied and greatest franchise in professional sports history with a global fanbase.

4. After that Sherman-led loss to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game, the 49ers went into steep decline.

What I remember about that game is Kaepernicks bad pass to Crabtree to end the game, then Sherman showing off that Stanford education in a post game interview

5. The question is now that Seattle is blowing up its D, how quickly can they restock to take advantage of Wilson’s window? They can’t really afford to take too many mulligans here, especially with no run game and a below average O-line to support him. As for the Niners, I don’t mind it as long as they don’t overpay and they double down by drafting a CB high and get a pass rusher–he will be exposed badly otherwise.

6. 49ersfury says:
    March 10, 2018 at 8:12 am
    ———————————

Yeah Ray SF is great. No need to wait in line for bathrooms because you can just use the street! And there’s plenty of room for camping because you can pitch a tent almost anywhere. Just bring a broom to sweep away the syringes before you pitch it.

7. Sherman didn’t make the pick in the NFCCG, he had the deflection that led to the pick. And I would absolutely hate having this loud mouth jerk on the 49ers.

8. Can anyone name me a player who came back to elite, or even passable, form after a Achilles injury, let alone two? I cannot think of one.

9. Perfect fit for Sherman. 49ers get a Primadonna they have been lacking ever since T.O. left, and Sherman gets to play 2 revenge games per season.

You know the ratings in these NFC West divison games will be at an all-time high if Sherman signs, in addition to all the Rams’ moves.

Sherman’s mouth won’t be able to close and reporters won’t be able to get enough if San Fran signs Sherman and they sweep Seattle this year. The legion of boom is a thing of the past, Seattle is going to struggle defensively this year, and l an sure Sherman will have plenty to say about it.

10. This could be epic. If you’re John Lynch and Kyle S you know you’re getting a guy who is proven at a high level, thrived in your defensive scheme, is highly intelligent and will never show up on the police blotter. It actually makes too much sense. Give him 15 mill at signing, three year deal, incentive laiden……

I bet the deal gets done this morning

11. Yeah he talks but he never gets in any off the field problems and the dude still can play! Assuming they are confident in his rehab situation, he’s definitely worth a 2 year incentive laden flier

12. Great, a guy coming off the worst possible injury for a cornerback and who throws tantrums every time things don’t go his way. I hope they are ready to all huddle around him and jump up and down when he acts like spoiled baby

13. You just may never know who know he could play good for us and wt with all this good players getting traded to this corny team wtf niners step it up we need a good receiver

14. I never thought Vince Wilfork would continue to play at a superior level after his Achilles tear, but he sure did. With athletic surgery and rehab procedures improving all the time, perhaps Sherman’s feet will be as good (if not better) than ever. On the other hand, he may have lost a step or two because of the medical interventions.

15. He was very overrated to begin with because he can’t play man to man, flip sides of the field, or the slot.

Now, he still has the crybaby attitude but his wheels are gone. He’ll need constant help over the top.

16. As a niner fan, it’s time to forgive and forget. I was mad, bro, for about four years, but it’s all about turning this franchise around. And Sherman would be a key step forward. It’s obvious SF wants to recreate Seattle’s defense under former Seahawk defensive coach Robert Saleh. And an under the radar improvement of the 49ers defense late in the year coincided with Ahkello Witherspoon getting his shot on the field. Akhello, was brought in to be the same lengthy corner as Sherman, and to do his best impression of his play. Sherman can help lead this young group and be an on the field teacher. (Remember when Randy Moss came to SF? All the receivers started balling out, including the two qbs). Even if Sherman isn’t ready right away, SF would be getting value in leadership and there wouldn’t be undo pressure to come back too early. Look at several injured Niners last year… the team did right by letting them heal up fully. And hopefully If Sherman signs, they’re not done upgrading that position- It’s not about having two good corners anymore (it’s about having 4 good corners) Johnson, Breeland or Fuller signing,also, would put SF in lockstep with the Rams offseason.

17. willycents says:
    March 10, 2018 at 9:10 am

———-

Vince Wilfork

18. Richard Charmin did not grab the interception. He tipped the ball at the height of his leap and Malcolm Smith caught the ball before it hit the ground. Malcolm Smith is now a 49er. All is forgiven. LOL

Anyway there may be some value to Seattle’s insistence on arm length when they draft defensive backs. A slightly shorter arm would not have allowed him to tip the ball and the 49ers would have been back to the Super Bowl again.

19. @willycents

Name a player who came back to elite form after tearing an Achilles?

Terrell Suggs, Michael Crabtree, Jason Peters, Brent Grimes, Leon Hall, Demaryius Thomas and I could go on and on. All these guys returned to Pro Bowl or All Pro form afterwards. Guess you’re living in 1991. Achilles injuries aren’t that bad anymore and you can easily return 100%

20. March 10, 2018 at 9:10 am

———

Wilfork, Crabtree, Suggs

21. As I niner fan, I want no part of Sherman on the team, however it is funny to see Hawks fans talking him down now :-).
    In any case, the LOB is done and dusted now. Good luck finding your next great defense Hawks.

22. AS a 9er faithful, I want nothing to do with Charmin. Id hate to see him in red and gold. Characters like him have no place on our roster. No matter what Ill never support him.

23. i get that the Hawks need to revamp things – but it is sad to let go of a team that was this much fun to watch.

I’d bet that Sherman has at least a couple more high-level seasons in him if his body holds up. would be a bizarre sight for us Hawks fans to watch him playing against us twice a year.

24. Kyle and John are making a BIG mistake if they take this loser. As a longtime 49er fan I too will *never* support this big mouth if he ever comes to the team.

25. .
    2014 week 1 Achilles blow outs
    Robert Mathis, Demaryius Thomas, Leon Hall, Terrell Suggs, and Vince Wilfork

they all never played again according to several posters here lol.
    but anyhow, has Sherman proved he can still perform? you cant refer to him as anything but a man till he can prove it

26. najacoo22 says:
    March 10, 2018 at 9:14 am
    Sherman didn’t actually intercept that ball, he tipped it into the air and Malcolm Smith intercepted it.
    ================================
    Yep. And oddly enough Malcolm is now a 49er.

27. Mistakes can be made. No big deal.
    Sherman didn’t intercept that pass. He simply did the “you mad bro” thing afterward.
    I’ve asked no less than a dozen, possibly 2 dozen of the self proclaimed “best fans in the world” who intercepted the ball. I’ve received one correct answer. No kidding. Then I asked if he knew his jersey number. (I had to tell him). Then I asked what team he was he was traded to. (I had to give up the answer on that one too).
    My point is this.

I live in Seattle. I pull for another team I grew up with as a young boy.
    However, I did have more than a simple passing interest in the Hawks as I’ve lived in the area most of my adult life. That is, until the Carroll era brought his show to town.
    Trust me football world. Things changed. Rapidly.
    You see. They started beating up on teams in convincing fashion. Best pro football the Pacific Northwest has ever realized. And it isn’t even close. But by and large the fan base was wretchedly dreadful. As a result,I simply couldn’t get behind their success.
    Sherman is a very fine player. But if anyone’s under the illusion he’s going to be your shut down corner your wrong. Never was. I watched a guy by the name of Jarius Wright leave Sherman holding his jock strap with a head bob at the line. A great deal of his success lies directly at the feet of a guy by the name of Earl Thomas.

The imminent dismantle of a very, very good football club started in 2015. We’re just seeing it come to fruition now. Basically right on schedule.
    So to all the truly great hawks fans. And there are many. Good for you. Embrace this time. This is another example of addition by subtraction.
    Time to pull together a truly class organization. You deserve it.
    I’ve always said. I’d rather lose with Favre than win with Rodgers.

28. joetoronto says:
    March 10, 2018 at 9:50 am

——————

Not that it really matters all that much, but actually Seattle had started flipping his side against certain receivers in 2016…in case you haven’t watched football in the last 2 years.

Also, the 49ers play a Cover 3 base. It’s literally the exact same scheme Sherman played in Seattle. Defensive Coordinater Robert Saleh was a defensive assistant in Seattle from 2011-2013, when Sherman was developed from 5th rd converted WR to All-Pro CB.

But you know…thanks your insight. I’m sure Stanford grad John Lynch and Stanford grad Richard Sherman appreciate your consult in helping them determine if they are a good match for each other or not.

29. If he signs with the 49ers he needs to accept that it is Garoppolo’s team. Unlike in Seattle where Russell Wilson was just along for the ride during the team’s heydays. The 49ers have a leader in Garoppolo.

30. willycents says:
    March 10, 2018 at 9:10 am

——————————————–

Jason Peters

31. Sidenote on Jason Peters: He actually tore his Achilles and then ruptured it again during the offseason because of a scooter that couldn’t support his wieght to hold his leg up

32. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    March 10, 2018 at 3:34 pm

——
    you mean like Garoppolo is a 2 time SB champion by being just along for the ride on TB’s team? Got it!

Sherman has experience and leadership qualities that Garoppolo does not yet have. Sherman is a proven leader, and demands a lot from himself. Be happy your team got a proven leader.