Getty Images

The Broncos agreed to trade cornerback Aqib Talib to the Rams last week, but not before trying to trade him to the 49ers.

Denver had agreed to ship Talib to San Francisco but it was called off when he rejected the trade, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Talib really couldn’t have rejected the trade — he doesn’t have a no-trade clause in his contract — but he could have made it difficult for the 49ers by threatening to refuse to show up to work, perhaps holding out all the way through the preseason only to show up to start collecting paychecks when the regular season began. The 49ers may have sought an assurance from Talib that he would be a happy camper in San Francisco, and when he wasn’t inclined to give that assurance, the 49ers decided to move on.

For the 49ers, moving on meant signing cornerback Richard Sherman instead. Sherman’s contract with the 49ers is actually a more team-friendly deal than Talib’s because much of Sherman’s pay is wrapped up in playing and playing well, with per-game roster bonuses and a Pro Bowl incentive bonus. Talib gets an $11 million base salary this year even if he plays poorly or gets hurt and doesn’t play at all. So the 49ers are probably happy in hindsight to have Sherman for a better price, and not have to give up any draft picks to acquire him.

The Rams ended up agreeing with the Broncos on the Talib trade, and he apparently said he’s willing to go to Los Angeles.

59 responses to “Report: 49ers wanted to trade for Talib, he said he wouldn’t go to San Francisco

1. Talib is a head case anyways. There’s a reason he’s played for so many teams in his career. Say what you want about outspoken Sherman, he is a leader. And the Niners needed a leader on defense.

2. reptar310 says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:05 pm

————-

I agree he’s off..i mean he shot himself.

But I would say only the bucs got rid of him for his personality. The Broncos were willing to pay more than the Patriots that year, and I think the Broncos roster setup is more of a reason they traded him than his personality. He’s one of those guys you hate when he’s on the other team, but he’s been so good that teams deal with the negatives

Given his unbalanced frame of mind, I think his career couldve been a lot rockier

3. The Niners are a team on the rise. Talib may have shot himself in the foot not letting them trade him there. Odd because usually he aims higher than that.

4. sherman > talib. ALL DAY! Especially on SUNDAYS! … theres those caps again. Hate Away!

5. If anybody can keep this guy in line, it would be Wade.

If not, get rid of him.

I will hold judgment, until I see him play the season.

6. calizcowboyz says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:25 pm

——————————————————————————————

You’re nuts. Sherman played zone the majority of his career. Never been a man-to-man cover corner. Talib albeit a little nutty, is a much better corner and a bigger threat once he gets the ball in his hands. Thinking you watch more WNBA than NFL there buddy.

7. I’m going to be in the minority (as usual) but while I know Talib has had issues in the past, I’ve moved on from that. With all due while few of us have shot ourselves outside of stip clubs, we have all made mistakes and I think we’d like people to not hold onto those. I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this because he hasn’t done anything incredibly stupid in a while.

What I care about is his play, and that remains at a high level. There’s people who post who think San Fran is a destination; some of us aren’t convinced. They may not have won games but they were close all season (including a 1 or 2 point loss to the Rams), and after JG got there they beat a second team Rams roster, two teams with a losing record, the Titans who may as well have had a losing record, and JAX who I think overlooked SF. Most analysts believe that too. I am not willing to anoint the Niners as a destination.

Talib may well have just picked the Rams because they are actually good, instead of maybe being good in 2018. May not have been his right, but he can influence the choice. And apparently he did. Because I want a good league and with few exceptions of people who are just bad individuals, I want the best players bringing up the league wherever they can. This seems like one of those situations.

8. garciavega3 says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:37 pm
    calizcowboyz says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:25 pm

——————————————————————————————

I do dig watching CHICKS in sports! But you though eh bro, just into the “fellas”? Thats cool bro, just sayn.
    Again cuz your GUY is ALOT Nutty … SHERMAN > talib! ALL day bro!

9. vaphinfan says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:45 pm
    I wouldn’t want to spend that much time in California either.

10. Dude’s not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he wants to win a ring sooner rather than later. Yeah…the 9ers are “on the rise,” but the Rams were in the playoffs last year and looked pretty strong throughout the season. I don’t blame him for making the choice he made. He’s got a better shot to win soon with the Rams than he does with the 9ers.

11. vaphinfan says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:45 pm
    I wouldn’t want to spend that much time in California either.

_______________________________________________________

Oops…xD

12. He may be crazy,but he has enough sense to stay away from the third world country of California.

13. Talib is a mental case. He ripped the gold chain off Crab’s neck twice in 2 seasons. Such a penalty can well be a game turning one. It is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

14. Heck, Sherman could show up and immediately end up on the IR list and the 49ers STILL would have made a better choice.

15. yep California sucs. Keep Away! Stay closer to the FROZEN tundra of … EVERYWHERE EAST of US! LOL.
    Hate Sunny days? Evenings on the beach? Movie stars? Mountains? Red Wood forest? Theme Parks? TITLE TOWN?
    Warm winter evenings with a glass of wine? A cold beer over a fire pit with the Hollywood sign in the background?

16. Wellman says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:17 pm

67 21 Rate T

….yep,if he aims just a bit higher, he would be playing in the womens football league

17. kamthechancellor says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:59 pm
    The niner bandwagon that used to say how much Sherman sucked is now defending how good he is. This is priceless.

15 9 Rate This
    ………….no we’re not. he’s a bum..and so is Bennett…Chancellor and half the team

18. He wanted to go to either LA or NE. He wanted to be reunited with Wade Phillips, whom he has respect and admiration and to get a chance to play alongside Marcus Peters.

19. “He’s got a better shot to win soon with the Rams than he does with the 9ers.”

Oh, you didn’t hear? Carlos Hyde already declared the 49ers SB winners next season.

20. I would not want to represent the cesspool of San Francisco, either. Not that LA is much better.

21. stoolerz says:
    March 11, 2018 at 6:19 pm

____________________________________________

So he accepted a trade to LA? Apparently your geography is no better than Talib’s gun handling.

22. “Hmmmmmmm you do realize he accepted a trade to the rams? In Los Angeles? In California…..”

He would have had to have actual reading comprehension to understand that. The lack thereof is a common problem with people who post here

23. yep California sucs. Keep Away! Stay closer to the FROZEN tundra of … EVERYWHERE EAST of US! LOL.
    ============
    sunny days – yes
    Evenings on the beach? – there are lots of those other places
    Movie stars? nope, cant stand hollywierd
    Mountains? really? mountains are everywhere
    Red Wood forest? um.. if your far far north, sure.
    Theme Parks? a few, yes, but DW is better
    TITLE TOWN? hardly.
    Warm winter evenings with a glass of wine? again, only in southern cali and lots of other places to drink wine
    A cold beer over a fire pit with the Hollywood sign in the background? pretty sure that would be outlawed by the over the top laws in cali
    Gold flowing through the streams and rivers as we sit idle and chit chat about how IT SUCS NOT TO BE US!!!!!!!!!!! – LOL gold? really? are you a miner?

Cali is a complete mess – nothing but illegals and homeless running around. businesses are running from that state due to ridiculous regulations and taxes are completely out of control.
    this is not the cali of your parents. this is the triggered, gender confused, homeless coddling everyones a victim cali, which is pretty much socialism at this point.

24. I’ve hated Sherman for a very long time, but mainly because he’s stopped us from getting to SB witch we would’ve blown the Broncos away an had another ring, but I’d take him before Talib. Wouldn’t it b nice if they picked up kyle fuller an Allen Robinson too. Please John go get A.Robinson. An ya how do people leave comments on here an not no where LA is? Wow they’ll let anyone on here. Lol

25. Isn’t it reasonable to think that Talib felt he had a better shot in LA as opposed to San Fran?

26. Go niners. Nice to see the Seattle seahags crumble. I’ll b eating my words if somehow we loose to the seahags this year. Don’t see it happening. Hopefully lol

27. I think I’m going to change my career an move to cali an become a miner. I here there’s god laying around everywhere. Lmao

28. So weird how people who have never been to California think it’s such a horrible place. Look, I’ve been to Missouri, Texas, and Florida, among other places, and no amount of tax savings or disdain for liberal politics will EVER compel me to leave this great state.

Heck, maybe one day we’ll leave the union and deprive all these welfare red states of our federal tax dollars. Then you’ll REALLY hate us.

Now, excuse me while but I need to clean up my golf clubs.

29. Michael E says:
    March 11, 2018 at 6:48 pm
    +++++
    Technically, the 49ers represt Santa Clara. Geographically speaking.

30. Michael E says:
    March 11, 2018 at 6:48 pm
    +++++
    Technically, the 49ers represent Santa Clara. Geographically speaking.

31. I am not really sure I would want either Sherman or Talib, but the fact that Talib is not currently injured would seem to make him the better choice for now, we will see.

As for the Seahawks, I remember a year or two ago I commented that all the Seahawks fans, who were all over the place in the comment sections, did not seem to knew any of the team history from before the became good. I predicted that they would all disappear once the Seahawks slipped from the top…and here we are and I see about about a tenth of them are still are here.

Finally on the question of California. The cost of living is what would scare me off, but I am not sure if that is state wide or if the further you get from L.A. it would go down.

32. Taleb you are now in LA with a boring QB and a boring fan base. Loser! Cant wait till Niner fans take over the Coliseum and
    starts chanting his name after Jimmy G shreds him

33. kamthechancellor says:
    March 11, 2018 at 5:59 pm

=====================================================

We don’t have a bandwagon. Not yet anyway 2-14, 6-10, would be a strange bandwagon to jump on – you have empty seats on yours?. But I agree about with you about how some 9er fans are welcoming him. Not all of us though. Plenty still detest the clown and would never support him. I hope he sucks and doesn’t make the roster.

34. Can’t blame a man for having a preference of where or who he wants to work for. I think it will work out in the end.