Report: FOX wants to hire Jason Witten

Getty Images

Last offseason, Tony Romo retired from the NFL and went into the broadcast booth. Could his longtime friend and Cowboys teammate Jason Witten be next?

He could be, as Sporting News reports that FOX is interested in hiring Witten. Although Peyton Manning is viewed as the first choice for FOX’s Thursday Night Football broadcasts, Witten could be next if Manning turns the job down.

Witten would be a natural as a broadcaster, as an articulate and intelligent player who’s well-liked by fans and respected by players. The question, however, is if he wants to do it: Witten said categorically after the Pro Bowl that he’s playing in 2018.

The 35-year-old Witten still has four years left on his contract, at $6.5 million a year.

49 responses to “Report: FOX wants to hire Jason Witten

1. I hope he’s as good as Romo. Romo was awesome. I couldn’t believe anyone would consider taking a rookie and putting him on the number one team. Romo blew me away. He offered a ton of good insight. Most of the time I couldn’t care less about the announcers and I don’t even know who’s talking.

2. Poor Jason Witten, for the last four years everyone has been trying to get him to stop playing and do something else. I don’t even like this idea I wouldn’t be excited to hear Witten doing a game.

3. Can we put some former players in the booth that have actually won a playoff game ?

4. might as well, most are horrible on Fox.
    it’s almost painful listening to rhonde barber try to complete a sentence.

Romo was surprisingly great, whatever agent saw that in him and talked him into it deserves a huge bonus from cbs.

5. Jason Witten (Terrance Williams and dez bryant) hasn’t look good since Tony Romo retired.

So… I expect Witten will do good when he reunites with Tony Romo.

6. Romo has been excellent (certainly if you consider expectations). If they’ve given him a taped game to comment on and he’s been good, give it a go. Getting paid to talk about football is safer than playing it.

7. Usually Cowboy players are highly overrated, but the one guy who should be mentioned among the all-time greats at the position is largely ignored.

8. Witten. Class act. nothing to hate here trolls. unless you just hate cuz you want attention.
    Mums not spankn you hard enough? bend over further for it then!
    SERIOUSLY …show class and respect where it is due. Save face. or not ….. ur choice..

9. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    March 11, 2018 at 7:11 pm
    —-

Can we get posters that actually know what they are talking about? Witten has won at least 2 playoff games. Which suggests Romo has won at least 2 playoff games. And I would further suggest that given how good Romo is in that booth that playoff wins and rings have zero bearing on quality in said booth.

10. I hope it’s the 2018 season they want him for. He needs to go, I like
    him as much as anyone but he is too old and slow. And Dallas need his
    7 million in cap space.

11. I wouldn’t say anything bad about Jason Witten.

Witten’s old @ss is still better than all of the Bengals current tight ends.

It was more of a commentary on the overrated dak prescott.

12. Witten will be GREAT in the booth, just not yet 🙂 He still has some football to play, and it would be nice if Dak can get the ball to him this year 😦

13. it doesn’t seem right that Fox, or any broadcaster, for that matter, should be placing pressure on active athletes to retire just so they can step into their TV booths.

14. Witten would be better than Manning. Manning talks like he has his cheeks stuffed full of cotton balls.

15. stairwayto7 says:
    March 11, 2018 at 7:28 pm
    Witten can talk about catching 5 passes for 40 yards! YAWN!
    ===========================================================

Jason Witten has the 4th MOST receptions in the history of the NFL. Just 3 men have caught more passes than him.

He has the 21st most receiving yards right now and if he plays this season, he’ll move inside the top 20.

He’s done far more than the majority of players in the NFL in terms of both number of receptions and number of receiving yards.

16. The 3 biggest mistakes Andy Reid made during his tenure with the Eagles: Not giving Dawkins a final contract, not giving TO some type of contractual bonus to satisfy his ego (which he earned and deserved), thinking he outsmarted the rest of the NFL by drafting LJ Smith instead of Jason Witten.

17. Here’s my opinion of Tony Romo as an announcer. I kept an open minded view of him as a commentator, and I actually thought he would be really good. But after listening to him over the course of the season, I do not like him as an announcer and think he’s even a downgrade from Phil Simms.
    First , his voice is kind of squeaky, and then he has Joe Theismann Syndrome, where he talks way too much for my liking. He does do some good things, such as predicting what will happen based on the formation he sees. He’s very good at that. But too much is too much and I wish he’d tone it down a lot and let the viewers watch the play and think for themselves what will happen before the snap comes. It gets annoying for me, because I like to think for myself when I watch football, not have some chatter bug tell me what he thinks on every play in rapid fashion.
    As for Jason Witten, he’s an all time great player and even though I am a Cowboy hater, I respect him totally. I have no idea how he will be if he takes a job as a commentator in the booth. He could be great, or he could be another stinker.
    In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes these sports networks make is putting former players in the booths or in the studio as analysts or commentators. Just because they played in the NFL does not translate into being a good analyst or commentator. In fact, the great majority of former players who have done it, have been bad. It’s why we’ve had to put up with the likes of Michael Irvin, Shannon Sharpe, Emmitt Smith (he was the worst I’ve ever heard), Joe Theismann, Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, and so many others who are just awful.
    My idea of a great announcer on NFL games was the late Pat Summerall. Summerall had it right. He knew the game was what was important, not what he had to say about the game. There is no one who can compare to him today, in my opinion. His sidekick, John Madden, was a chatter box too, but he did it lightheartedly and never took himself too seriously, as so many of these guys do today. He and Summerall were the best duo ever, in my opinion, and if the networks were smart (and they’re not) they’d make all future commentators, play-by-play guys, or analysts watch hours of tape on those guys to make them understand how it should be done. But they won’t, because they hire these guys to be overbearing loudmouths because they think that is what the millennials want. And maybe they’re right.

18. Cowboys. Cowboys. Cowboys. Ridiculous attention & coverage given to a team that hasn’t won a thing in over 20 years….

If it was Tony Romo (with same W-L and stats) the Detroit Lion, no way he gets that job.

And it will be a joke if the Cowboys are given the opening Thursday night slot against the Eagles. That should go to either the Vikings or Falcons…

19. pmd1947 says:
    March 11, 2018 at 8:45 pm
    Romo was awful.He never shuts up!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Sir, you are definitely in the minority! Romo won Broadcaster of the Year, and he and Nantz won Broadcasting Duo of the Year by Sports Illustrated 🙂 But, each to his own….

20. You forgot to mention that he’s a surprisingly athletic student of the game with a nonstop motor.

21. I realize what a hater I sound like, but you all really think Romo is that good of a commentator? I don’t need every play scripted for me before it happens. I guess in comparison to his peers he’s not bad, but you guys make it should like he’s some kind of revelation in broadcasting.

22. I’ve always hated the Cowboys and their “we are the best team” attitude, even though they have been a .500 team for the last 2 decades, but Whitten is the one player I have liked. He seems like a class act. I wish him luck in whatever he ends up doing.

23. Remember this -when it happens: FOX/ESPN both talking with Eagles DE Chris Long to join them in the booth. Long admitted this week that he’s “working on something”, and wouldn’t commit to returning to Eagles this coming season – after saying after the SB victory that he’d definitely be back. Eagles know this may be coming – which is partially why they went out and got Michael Bennett this week.

NO ONE is reporting this. Remember where you read it first.

24. my_old_name_was_offensive says:
    March 11, 2018 at 9:26 pm
    Witten > Gronk

Available > Not Available

4 2 Rate This

Gotta disagre…If you had one Super Bowl to win and you could choose any TE1 most, if not all would take Gronk. Witten’s consistency and availabily over his career is very impressive.

25. As a Cowboys fan for decades, I can say with certainty that Witten would NOT be very good on TV as an analyst. If you have listened to interviews, he’s not particularly adept at off the cuff remarks and comments. I’m just being honest. I love the guy and all he stands for, but impromptu commentary is not his strong suit.

26. For the moron who said that Fox should hire someone who actually won a playoff game, i suggest you do some research before you post something dumb & we all know you are insinuating both Romo & Witten, sorry to inform you that both players have won playoff games…..SMH!

27. stairwayto7 says:

Witten can talk about catching 5 passes for 40 yards! YAWN!

The Stoolers have never had a tight-end as good as Witten, maybe you should actually try to develop one so you don’t get punched in the mouth every time you play the Pats.

28. nyneal says:
    March 11, 2018 at 9:01 pm

/////////////////////

Talking about talking a lot.