Sheldon Richardson visits the Vikings

Getty Images

On the same day the Vikings hope to sign a key player on offense, they’re kicking the tire on a key player on defense.

Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, the 2013 NFL defensive rookie of the year, currently is in Minnesota for a visit, per a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Jets traded Richardson to the Seahawks last year for receiver Jermaine Kearse and a second-round pick. The Seahawks opted not to tag Richardson, but they hope to keep him.

The Vikings would install Richardson on a defensive line that currently includes Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph, and Danielle Hunter.

It’s the first visit for Richardson, one of the rare top free agents who didn’t have a deal in place before free agency opened.

51 responses to “Sheldon Richardson visits the Vikings

1. Buyer Beware. Sesttle wasted a draft pick on this kid, but he’s way too immature and selfish to be considered a good team player. And, he’s not as good as people think either.

He spent more time tooting his own horn with the help of the Jets pom-pom committee than actually making plays and producing like a top 15 pick should.

2. Seattle in decline and needs to rebuild, if Richardson wants a ring, sign with a discount to play in the best stadium and practice facility in the league and become part of a World class organization…

3. Vikes are in need of a 3 technique DT and they just cut loose Floyd who was making 7 mil, if they can slide Richardson into his place, he would wreak havoc because there’s so much attention paid to Joseph, Griffin, and Hunter.

4. I’m skeptical. But I’m a Vikings fan so I just naturally assume nothing is ever going to work out, so take my skepticism with a grain of salt.

5. that sound of water trickling is the horrible Packers O line tinkling in their shorts as we speak of this news!!!

#embrace 3rd place cheesers!!

6. That Vikings DL will be straight nasty if this happens. Packers, Bears and Lions had best be upgrading their O-Lines in the weeks ahead.

7. Sometimes it takes a rejection to bring these guys down to Earth. When their Rookie deal is done many hit the Market thinking a big pay-day with the mindset of I have already played my A** off for 4 or 5 years not making what I’m worth. It’s time to relax a little, and get play easy not to get hurt.!

8. He isn’t perfect but he would be a very nice addition at the right price. The Vikings definitely need a starting 3-technique and more depth on the defensive line in general. I was afraid they would have to sit out the rest of free agency after signing Cuz but it looks like they found a few more coins in the couch cushions. Might have to be a one-year deal, which is fine.

9. I’ve seen some negative comments on different comment sections. I think people are confusing Richardson with Wilkerson. I think he’s been up and down a little, but I think that’s due to the Jets moving him around the defense. This guy has played end, tackle, and lb. He’s a solid player who needs to play in the right situation. 3 technique between Linval and Griff seems like a favorable situation.

10. tylawspick6 says:
    March 15, 2018 at 1:30 pm

//////////////////////////

I love that all pat fans know all

11. skolvikings2017 says:
    March 15, 2018 at 1:27 pm
    The rich might get richer. Skol!

I’m not trying to be disrespectful. I actually think The Vikings are a pretty stacked team, but I am tired of people always saying “the rich get richer”. Their is only one team that can say that every year and it’s the team that currently has the Lombardi trophy. Again I respect this team and this year before Cousins deal really hurts resigning players they’re totally stack, but their is only ONE rich team until then just stop lol.

12. The guy made $8M last year — not sure how the Vikes can afford him with the Kendricks, Barr and Diggs contracts looming next year.

13. Haven’t they spent enough? Gives me a feeling that Spielman won’t draft a DT or he will be moving down the draft a lot Regardless, this is not going to be cheap. A lot of restructuring, cuts and FA losses. I may be wrong, but this is the first thing that hit me.

14. tylawspick6 says:
    ——————–
    I think everyone is aware of who the guy is. But, cheaply signing him and surrounding him with respected veterans like Griffen, Robison, Joseph, etc… is a tad different than trading a pick for him mid-season and surrounding him with the cast of the “Usual Suspects” that include women beaters (Frank Clark), a Bennett brother, a guy that climbs into the stands to beat a fan (Jefferson) and team quitters like Wilkerson.

15. Wow!!!! Get it done Spielman!!! The 3 technique DT that we’ve been lacking since Shariff Floyd disaster of a surgery. A pass rush up the middle. In the meanwhile, reach out to ex-Card S/CB Tyrann Mathieu to pair him with Harrison and you’ll have the Zim-Master spinning in his sleep creating exotic schemes. Let the Cap Master, Brezeinski figure out how to resign the young studs and hit in the draft 2 OL’s, 3 technique DT, athletic LB, pass catching TE, RB, development CB.

16. “allight59 says:
    March 15, 2018 at 1:35 pm
    Seattle in decline and needs to rebuild, if Richardson wants a ring, sign with a discount to play in the best stadium and practice facility in the league and become part of a World class organization…”

Maybe you didn’t read it correctly…he’s visiting Minnesota. None of what you said applies to the Vikings.

17. Sign him!! That takes care of our DL need.. Now go after OL, LB, RB Safety prospects in the draft.. Will give us more depth..

With the signing of Cousins, the Vikings are out of excuses.. SB or bust!

18. Well Richardson is used to playing on losing teams with no chance of competing for a Lombardi so this makes a lot of sense

19. that sound of water trickling is the horrible Packers O line tinkling in their shorts as we speak of this news!!!
    ——
    Oh look, another Viking story where ariani only talks about the Packers. Your obsession is sad. Do you think there might come a day where you actually make an adult, informed comment about the team the story was written about? Or is it all pack all the time?

20. allight59 says:
    March 15, 2018 at 1:35 pm

17 14 Rate This

——————

Guys like Suh and Richarson don’t care about rings. They care only about an ego $stroke tied to money.

21. nathanp2013 says:
    March 15, 2018 at 2:02 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    ——————–

2 2 Rate This

————————

No offense, but you just brought on a 28 mil per year QB who is not the best in the league, so that alone is set to send you into cap hell here very soon. Overpaying for a DT like Richardson who is wildly overrated and did jack squat with the Jets, who doesn’t even command doubles, is not as good as someone you could get in Rd 1 of this year’s draft.

Plain and simple.

Spielman is teetering on the edge here. Why he didn’t sign Keenum to a 2 year 18 mil per deal is completely stupid.

22. Richardson can be a dominant player. So could Laquon Treadwell. You have to consider what’s going on between a player’s ears before you sign him. Coaches can be great motivators, but they’re not miracle workers. I’m not putting Richardson and Treadwell in the same boat.

23. The Vikings have pretty much gotten to where they are by drafting well. I’d try to keep that philosophy going. There will be a dominant D-Lineman around in the second round. I guarantee it. Vikings have good scouts. Go find him.

24. “Defensive end Sheldon Richardson and his fellow teammate Muhammad Wilkerson both come with a few red flags. Between the two, Richardson poses more of a locker room distraction than Wilkerson due to his suspensions by the league as well as being late to team meetings. Wilkerson hasn’t had his name in the headlines for all the wrong reasons with the exception of last season where he was disciplined by head coach Todd Bowles for also being late to mandatory team meetings.”

So the Packers picked up a cancer, but Richardson will make your team even more menacing?

Got it.

25. Please do NOT sign him Spielman. He’s too expensive and comes with red flags. Concentrate on the draft and having enough money to re-sign our linebackers for 2019.

26. He wants 15mil a yr. If I’m the Vikings trying to get the best DT I can for my money, I go after Suh. Suh is a more dominant player, and Richardson is an egomaniac who while good, is not as good as people make him out to be. That 15mil could be spent much more wisely.

27. Yea I would take him on a 1 year incentive laden contract. It would be smart on his part to play with all that talent then he will get the Keenum/McKinnon treatment from another team in free agency next year.

28. tylawspick6 says:
    March 15, 2018 at 2:22

———————————————

Considering Spielman built a team good enough that a backup QB (that he went out and acquired for $2 million) could take it to the NFCC he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. Teetering on the edge? Hardly

29. Over rated TODAY. He’s trying to receive a big contract today for what he did in his rookie season. Big bust for Seattle. Somebody please take Richardson so Seattle can be done with him

30. It’s a rare occurrence, but I agree with T Law on this one. Richardson has great ability, but a me-first guy who rarely gives 100%. Plays well a few games a year.

31. lukeshow says:
    March 15, 2018 at 1:37 pm

“Ah, can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the things?”

32. Do any of us really know what a 3 technique tackle does? I had to google it and still hope no one asks me much if I use the term. But if we need one and this is a good one, go get him! The Vikings will have cap issues before long, maybe even next year, so the time to get over the hump is now!

33. ragnarthegreat says:
    March 15, 2018 at 5:12 pm

There are two type of 4-3 defense schemes, “even” no NT, DT’s line up over guards and the over and under front in which the Vikings run in their standard package (unless they go double gap with LBs over the center) you have a NT(larger and stronger=Linval Joseph/Pat Williams/Jerry Ball) who will play over the center(head up technique) or shade(over the shoulder) depending on the strength of the play(strong side).Main emphasis is to eat up the center and the weak-side or pulling guard(takes on the double team), frees up the LBs. The under DT(the three technique….ie. think Shariff Floyd/Kevin Williams/John Randle) in this scheme is quicker and faster, roughly 300lbs., shoots the gap at the snap, he lines up on the outside shoulder of the strong side OG, main task, prevent the run, keep the guards off the LBs and rush the QB on pass plays.

34. larsen77cloquet says:
    March 15, 2018 at 1:48 pm

________________________________

Richardson is wayyyyy better than Wilkerson. You never questions Richardson work ethic but his off field activities only.

35. If Shariff is out, then use that $ and get this guy! The cap is going up every year and Rob, our Capologist, can work the numbers. Worry about keeping Barr next year!

36. woodstakes says:
    March 15, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Would MUCH rather spend the money on Tyrann Mathieu…

************************************************

I agree. It would be easier to find a decent DT in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. Guys like Mathieu are harder to find. Playing next to Harrison Smith, he could do some damage to opposing offenses.