Richard Sherman expresses “concern” Eric Reid remains unsigned

Getty Images

Eric Reid has not found any takers on the free agent market, and he believes he knows why. New 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman, who served as the Seahawks’ player representative, expressed concern about Reid’s slow market.

“We are concerned, because he played at a high level for just about every year that he’s played in this league,” Sherman said, via quotes distributed by the team. “He’s made enough plays to be signed with a team and to make his money. He deserves his money. Safeties make a certain amount. I would think he’s top-five, top-10 safeties in this league so he deserves to be paid accordingly. So, there is concern there, because you would think a player of his caliber and his quality would be picked up by now. I think great teams are still looking and people are still looking for players. I’m praying that he gets picked up, but if he doesn’t, then I think there will be a conversation with the league office and the union on potential league action.”

In a tweet March 15, the former 49ers safety blamed the league’s owners for his lack of interest on the free agent market. “People who know football know who can play. People who know me, know my character,” Reid wrote.

Reid became one of the first 49ers to take a knee alongside quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2016 to protest racial inequality and police brutality. No team signed Kaepernick last offseason, and Reid is finding silence this offseason.

Of course, several safeties have yet to generate interest as the market for the position is off to a slow start.

166 responses to “Richard Sherman expresses “concern” Eric Reid remains unsigned

1. Wah. Wah. Wah. So sick of hearing these players going on how they are being done wrong. It was YOUR choice to kneel, no one forced you. Tell him to get a real job now and see how the common people live.

2. Dick, I have concern that you are a player with significant declining skills. Be grateful that you are emoloyed!

3. The Vikings have been looking for a safety to replace sendejo for years, why are we not signing any of this bevy of good options? Focus on o line and db in the draft.

4. He was barely top 3 ON the 49ers. Not an indictment on Reid as much as it is respect to Tartt and Colbert, but it is hard to make a claim at top 5-10 league wide in this case. Agree he should have a job though but it is a soft market for starting safeties. Most of the ones signed were for special teams value

5. reid and sherman, cops killed 14 unarmed black people in 2016. and of those 14, almost all were a danger to the cop or another person. america doesn’t like that you disrespect the police and our national anthem. owners know these things.

6. Who is WE ??? Well let’s put it that way. THEY don’t want him. Another conversation ? About what! All these protest and “ conversations “ have done nothing with exception of the fact they happened. Let the players go kneel at soccer games or at Walmart. Not while they are working. End of story.

7. In an era where college kids are coached to be careful about what they post on the internet because it might affect their job prospects, these ball players take a knee on national TV and then wonder whether it affects their job prospects.

8. Gosh, the NFL owners are taking a knee on players who disrespect the fans and who disrespect the game. I am surprised as anyone, especially after they gave Roger Goodell an extension and a raise.

9. Top 5 safety? No. In todays NFL a DB needs to be versatile, and Reid is only good as a run stopper. Not a big market for safeties that can’t cover anyone…except their buddy Colin.

10. Owners get to choose who they want on their team. Apparently, no one wants him. Welcome to the real world where actions have consequences and what you think or want should happen is often irrelevant.

11. America has moved on … a certain segment of American society hasn’t moved on though. Not sure which side still fighting this mind numbingly dumb war of words is more tiring.

12. It is just bad for business to hire people that kneel. Noby wants to root for someome who shoves their opinions in our face. I know i dont do that to customers at work who dont share my opinions.

13. Yeah when you take an action outside of employment this is what an employer can do. Do you thing outside where you make your paper. They would have donated to cause. Instead you get this backlash

14. If more players protested and supported each other it would harder to single them out. Thst is what their union is supposed to do, protect them.

15. just so all of you foolish millennials irrevocably understand: the world doesn’t owe you a living. If you do something that angers the populace, especially the populace of fans (fans pay your salary dunce caps) you’re not going to find employment in the NFL. The 49ers, or anyone else, can find someone better in the draft. A marginal player by Reid isn’t worth the headache. Sorry not sorry.

16. Funny how he’s saying someone should sign him but the team he (Sherman) is now representing let him slip away – why don’t the 49ers sign him Mr. Sherman?

17. paviking01 says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:13 pm
    I watch games each week next to the flag that draped my father’s coffin. I don’t like watching hypocrites that wear pig socks.

My father was a Vet as well…an African-American Vet. He fought in the Pacific in WWII and still came home to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. I’m guessing every single person who has a problem with Kap and Reid are white, and none cared about these issues before the protests began. Your lives are different…you don’t get it.

My dad fought so Reid could protest…wherever. To me he’s a Hero. I’m good with it.

18. The safety market has been soft this year. Burnett just took a pay cut to work for the Steelers. Hard to say if teams aren’t seeing the value at safety or what, well i guess I answered my own question. Clearly teams aren’t seeing that spending tons of capital on safety is key.

19. What exactly does “deserves his money” even mean. Maybe he should have finished his degree at LSU and had a back up plan if the NFL opportunity didn’t work out.

20. Formally stated, Newton’s third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Keeping it real is cool, until it affects one’s bottom line. Then it’s not cool.

21. Reading some of the comments on this site is so repulsive. Some of you are so oblivious to the hatred in your hearts that you are unable to find the irony in worshiping these Black men on Sundays only to be bigots every other day of the week. Most of you call yourselves Christians too. I hope the teachings of Jesus finds a way into your hearts.

22. Wow! The 49rs management are rolling their eyes about Sherman’s comments. It’s none of his business! Sherman is there to play football and nothing else.

23. kevo126 says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm
    ____

I am an American, and I agree with Sherman and Reid.

24. Money is earned not deserved. Reid is a good player but calling out the owners was in high in sight not a good choice. Activisim is always a double edged sword.Good luck Reid.

25. Eric expressed his freedom of speech by taking a knee. The owners are expressing their freedom of choice by not signing him? What’s the problem here?

26. Guys like Richard Sherman are the reason Reid and Kaepernick aren’t signing with anyone. The 49ers got rid of both these players as Jed York talks like he’s concerned with the players. Jed’s actions are right in line with Donald Trump. Then along comes Sherman and signs on with Jed’s team. Sherman isn’t stupid, so he knows what he’s doing. He’s acting like he’s concerned for Reid, when in reality, he just spit in his face. Both Jed and Sherman are playing both sides of the fence. I’m not blaming them for looking out for themselves. I’m just telling it like it is.

27. I was pretty hyped after my Niners got Jimmy G….there was finally some hope for glory again…
    then they sign this clown who is a cancer….I hope he gets released

28. Let’s all be clear , player can protest all they want on their own time. When on the field they are being paid to play football and represent their teams and the NFL. During NFL -Team events the NFL has every right to say no protesting. Every employer I’ve ever worked for has similar rules about protesting, campaigning while on company time while wearing company branded apparel. This is no different. Teams and the League have every right to have a say in what political causes, or protests their brand is associated with… As for Sherman.. if Reid is not getting offers for his actions it is because while representing his team & the league he used that forum to make a political statement. Can’t do that .. period stop ! Remember it’s easy to neel during a game, and present yourself as a warrior of social justice. It’s hard to personally get involved in the community, seek to understand both sides, and drive responsible change.

29. The league is the one bringing politics into the game with the national anthem, flag, and military tributes (commercials). The players are forced to react to a situation that does not occur in other businesses in the private, or public sector. Federal employees do not have to stand at attention for the national anthem.

The players are simply responding to a situation that is forced upon them.

30. I am concerned that Sherman’s much vaunted Stanford education did not prevent him from getting totally hosed handling his contract negotiations – no matter how much he tries to spin it. Maybe all the agents were busy kneeling.

31. Amazing how so many of you are closed minded. My Dad was a Veteran, I have cousin that just did 2 tours in Afghanistan. So my family is a military family and we believe in peaceful protest especially for just causes. No one kneeling is disrespecting the flag. If you believe that then you are ignorant to the facts and just want to be closed minded.

32. Guys like Richard Sherman are the reason Reid and Kaepernick aren’t signing with anyone. The 49ers got rid of both these players as Jed York talks like he’s concerned with the players. Jed’s actions are right in line with Donald Trump. Then along comes Sherman and signs on with Jed’s team. Sherman isn’t stupid, so he knows what he’s doing. He’s acting like he’s concerned for Reid, when in reality, he just spit in his face. Both Jed and Sherman are playing both sides of the fence. I’m not blaming them for looking out for themselves. I’m just telling it like it is

No I disagree…racism is the reason they aren’t signed. It was never about the flag is what some dumb people fail to realize but “they” want to make it about the flag to divert attention away from the real problem in this country. Tan skin cant win

33. So Eric Reid, who is supposedly a good safety that only took a knee is out of the game, while Michael Bennett who also has expressed the same beliefs in the same way while also taking a dirty shot at a player… is still employed?

What about Richard Sherman? (and a large list of other players) Why is it that a bench/rotational DE like Chris Long still around (also very outspoken)?

Why is it that some of the players that protested are still in the NFL if owners want them out of the NFL? It’s just confusing to me.

34. Richard Sherman expresses “concern” Eric Reid remains unsigned

And I express concern that Richard Sherman doesn’t get it. The majority of fans don’t like the anthem protests, regardless of the reason. The fans are the customers. If the fans don’t like it and decide to quit spending money on the NFL and the NFL’s advertisers, the protesters will find themselves without a job. It’s so easy even the leftist of Stanford athletes should understand it, which is why I’m concerned about why Sherman doesn’t get it.

You have freedom of speech/protest in this country. But your freedom of speech/protest does not free you from consequences. This is really no different than if you had a controversial conservative point of view that would not be politically correct. You’re free to express your opinion. But your freedom of expression does not free you from the consequences of expressing your point of view.

35. It’s way to early to be threatening league action (law suit). I must admit, however, that I’m amused by the amount of verbal jibber jabbing that Sherman is conducting as a 49rs player. My advice to that team’s fans; get used to it. But don’t worry, he will give his all on the field on game day. This is the Richard Sherman you signed up for.

36. lks311 says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:39 pm
    paviking01 says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:13 pm

.———–

If these protesters truly cared about black lives, they would be protesting the hundreds of black guys that kill other black guys every day in this country…..your dad fought for those victims’ freedoms as well

37. Let’s face it, this seems a bit shady but it is in the owners’ rights to hire or not hire anyone they choose. Sherman doesn’t seem to understand that, “He deserves his money.” Is BS, players have a special skill set, but don’t act like the NFL owes you anything. You are chewed up and spit out but you’re paid incredibly well for it. Choosing to protest inequality is certainly each player’s prerogative but don’t be shocked when you find yourself unemployed. This is especially true when you’re a young player without a big name or history in the league.

38. Still not medically cleared to run but he is running his mouth. Can’t stand this guy I wish he signed anywhere else

39. bostonsteve12 says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:58 pm
    Sherman should be concerned about his recovery from the DOUBLE achilles.

——
    FIFY

40. People like Kap and Reid are highly competitive and obviously would like to pursue their chosen profession. They knew they were taking a chance when they protested injustice – not to mention downright criminality – in this society. But they did it anyway. Their right to do this was won by men and women fighting wars, crime, and bigotry, and they’ve done these people proud. But there’s always the bitter enders who can’t stand free speech and differences of opinion. This board is loaded with them
    I’ve personally seen this happen all my life – the most obvious comparisons are the Olympic sprinters in Mexico City, who were banned for life. And Ali, who was willing to go to jail . They were all held up as being below standard in talent as justification fro being banned, just like these NFLers. Ali had enough support to overcome this, and became an international icon of freedom.
    Go ahead and feel smug because you’ve managed to lie well enough to damage these young men. The AMERICAN public at large supports them by huge margins. They may regret not being able to compete at football as they would like, but they’ll do very well in the real world. Americans will see to that.

41. Easy, just sign an agreement to never kneel for the flag or National Anthem again, while a player for the team, with a clause committing to return every penny ever paid to you by the club & not deserving of anything additional from the club, in the event you defy the agreement.

He might be signed, then…might.

42. darcrequiem says:

26 years old. In his prime. If he doesn’t get signed it, it will look highly suspect.
    ==============================================

So what. I wouldn’t sign him specifically for disrespecting our country.

43. nhpats says:

=============================================================

The leftists don’t want to talk about that, because then they would have to address the societal problems they created.

44. Let that be a lesson to you fools who think ‘you are owed yours’…you are ALL replaceable…every, single, last, one, of, you! But, the fans aren’t replaceable. The NFL needs every single dollar to pay your dumb arses the $millions you contract for. The least we can require is to only pay good character people…

45. “when presented with competing hypothetical answers to a problem, one should select the one that makes the fewest assumptions.”-Occam’s razor.

The safety market is soft for whatever reason. 1 assumption. Sorry Mr. Reid and Mr. Sherman. Trying to guess the mindset of 32 owners is 32 assumptions right there.

As in Russia-Trump, Kapernick vs. NFL owners is ‘no collusion’.

46. It’s Trumps fault!! Forget about how many times he has been concussed. This guy is a legit example of how prone you can be to a concussion once you’ve had one. It would be tough to prove collusion on this on.

47. Yes Eric Reid is free to exercise his freedom of speech, ON HIS OWN TIME. You don’t go to work to demonstrate. You’re there to WORK! You’re on company time, JACK! Now accept the consequences! My God would never tell me to do anything but WORK on company time, so quit bringing faith into by taking the Bible out of context.

48. lks311 says:

.———–

_________________________________
    What about all the White people killing each other. 83% of all white murders are done by other white people (mostly men). Why aren’t we doing something about this?

49. Well then Sherman can go,to the niners and tell them they can use some if his money to sign Reid. If he really means his words step forward and do something. Give something to a cause if you really are behind ut. Talk is cheap.

And anyone else that wants to complain. Posting on social media is not doing something. Step forward and do something.

50. isithockeyseasonyet says:
    March 20, 2018 at 8:29 pm
    Lot of racist responses on here, it’s funny how so many of these comments wouldn’t be made if not hidden behind a keyboard

————-
    Is that a keyboard in front of you?

51. Michael E says:

—————————–
    It’s a ridiculous response that’s why it’s not spoken about. You expect a movement for equality to solve crime? Who thinks like this? Bigots, that’s who. How silly is it that a community must solve all crime to be able to request inalienable rights! Meanwhile, you are probably in tears that potential gun control is infringing on your 2nd amendment. Hypocrite.

52. Quado Cox says:
    March 20, 2018 at 8:42 pm

_________________________________

——————-
    You are correct of course. And thats not good at all. But I don’t think the whites are blaming others for their problems.

53. Stand and deliver. There won’t be many kneelers next season because they got hit in the pocket book 🙂

54. Why should the unemployment of a black player in an over-represented racial group compared to their overall population percentage be of any concern. If we are really concerned about racial equality, we should fire half the black players to make a down payment on integrity about your position, yip yap.

Until then, let him eat cake.

55. Wellman says:
    ========================================

You call it blaming others, we call it asking for the rights this country guarantees. I guess the Founding Fathers were blaming other for their inability to make money when they were complaining about England’s taxation. Why didn’t they just work harder and sell more?

56. “Top 5, top 10 safeties”…more like a top ten in-the-box safety. That said, the safety FA market is completely unsettled. Can’t say that I’m surprised NFL teams aren’t banging down the door to sign a, while still young, non elite talent who was associated with the most controversial off the field story over the last 2 years. PFF has him rated as the 30th best safety in the NFL.

Once Eric realizes that continually doing something that costs your employer money (fan$ clearly had an issue), despite how passionate he may feel about the issue, is not good for the long term health of your employment.

57. It’s kind of a meaningless and cowardly protest if you expect no consequences…way to hold fast to those beliefs.

58. He made his choice last year, the owners are making their choice now. Free country all the way around. Reid can’t honestly preach out of one side of his mouth claiming he has the right to express himself however he wants but then turn around and say that the owners don’t have rights to hire whoever they want.

59. Poor Eric reid cant het a job, well first off there are still players at his position not signed who didn’t protest however, that us a consequence of your actions. If you take a public political stance that affects your employers income then you probably won’t be employed very long. That is called consequences, the players aren’t entitled to play it us a privilege not a right

60. Poor Eric Reid can’t get a job, well first off there are still players at his position not signed who didn’t protest however, that is a consequence of your actions. If you take a public political stance that affects your employers income then you probably won’t be employed very long. That is called consequences, the players aren’t entitled to play it is a privilege not a right

61. Protesting the flag is an oxymoron…it makes no sense…are you protesting your right to protest, because that’s what protesting the flag means…that you’re protesting freedom…

It’s same as Al Gore serving and endangered fish at his daughters birthday a week after founding the live earth initiative…

It’s the same as wearing a mink coat to an Peta rally….

You can’t claim to be a Veteran or have Veterans in the family and say he has the right to protest the flag… because protesting the flag is protesting everything you fought for…if veterans hadn’t fought for it, you might not have had the right…#getit?

62. I still don’t understand why the players have the right to protest, and they ABSOLUTELY do, but the owners don’t have the right to not hire them. They absolutely have the right to protest. Many brave men and women fought and died to give them that right. But they are not the only ones with rights. I would also hope that the players that are protesting are also doing something in their communities to combat the issues that they are protesting. I wish the media would run more stories about the many, many players that work in their community, out of the spotlight, and fewer stories about players that their only contribution is taking a knee.

63. “Deserves to be paid”
    That says it all about the current mindset.
    Like he’s entitled to a paycheck?
    BS. It’s a privilege.

64. Nobody “deserves” anything. A team had a contract with you, that you signed, and paid you. You were employed by the 49ers to play football and I’m pretty sure they didn’t pay you for your social commentary. Pro football is all about making money and if you effect the bottom line, that a team feels that you have become more of a nuisance than a money maker…sorry dude, you gotta go. Why is this so hard to understand snowflake?

65. There’s nothing wrong with political activism and raising awareness of social issues.

But unless these activities are part of your job description, bringing them into the workplace and promoting them while working or acting as a representative of your company is considered unprofessional at best, and can be grounds for termination in some circumstances.

Players are under contract to NFL franchises and are paid to play football…and a player acts as a representative of the franchise and the league as a whole every time he wears an NFL uniform, and the football field is his workplace. If he chooses to promote his own political and/or social views at work, that’s certainly his prerogative and he’s free to do so….but it doesn’t necessarily mean his employer will be on board with that decision. It probably won’t bother them enough to actively part ways with the player…but it can certainly impact his future employment prospects when it comes time to renew his contract or seek a contract with another team.

The whole thing has become a hot-button issue in the media…and teams simply don’t want the headache.

66. Eric Reid was the 3rd string strong safety on the 49ers before they put him at LB because they ran out of LBs. Then both safeties ahead of him got hurt and he was starting at that position again. If the 3rd string SS for the 49ers is top 5 in the NFL then that says something for then 49ers. Not! Why would anybody give a back up safety starting money? This is either propaganda or a Reid thinks he is better than his film shows. Two years ago he couldn’t tackle anybody and this year he couldn’t cover many one.

67. The Thing I have to laugh about is that these guys have accomplished nothing with their protests and never will because there is nothing to change. Fake oppression and fake Tyranny. It’s really pretty funny when you think about adults wasting their life focused on things that don’t exist. They have however cost themselves money and jobs because it’s risky to hire someone that’s delusional. You never really know “What’s Next” but you know it will be a negative influence on the team and cost you. Reid needs to Join a Political Activists organization that supports his beliefs. That’s what’s important to him. Take that great College Education and apply it.

68. hey why don’t you ask your sanctuary city where you play why they haven’t resigned him .. They certainly have the cap space … What a Hypocrite Sherman is

69. If Sherman really thinks Reid is worth the money, he should buy an NFL team and sign Reid. Problem solved.

The rest of the NFL must think Reid isn’t worth the money or worth pissing off their fan base, either way, its a business decision and business decisions tend to be made by the people that own the business. See paragraph 1.

70. darcrequiem says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:17 pm
    ——————————————————————————————-
    Reid said he knew there may be repercussions to his stunt and he was ok with it. Well good, now he can be ok at the unemployment office !!And I am good with THAT !!

71. Mr.Sherman–it’s not “his” money, it’s the team owners’ money. That’s where you players have it wrong. You don’t have a right to that money just because you play football well. If a team owner feels that employing you undermines his/her ability to make money, then you won’t get a job. But then you clowns just don’t get it. You are the entertainment, and once you lose your entertainment value, you don’t have a job.

72. Guys & Girls The teams & League are NOT stopping players from protesting. The teams & League are saying when you wear an NFL uniform @ and NFL event for which you are being paid…. No Protesting Do whatever you want on your own time,

73. People have been fired for wearing halloween costumes or a tweet.

Not sure what the legality is for not hiring someone…seems murkier than firing someone who already has a job.

Maybe PFT could list the first 15 players who took a knee/ their current job status/highlight those who were looking for work after this year/ and maybe some stats or ranking…. Give us a better idea if these players are really being shunned or not.

74. comments321 says:
    March 20, 2018 at 9:11 pm

——-

You’re a little off here (though others have made similar comments, so not just you) regarding Reid’s strengths and weaknesses. Since you brought up PFF…he had strong coverage ratings but struggled a bit with tackling. Not the other way around. He’s a good safety overall but he’s definitely a square peg in round hole for a Cover 3 team which is what the 49ers are running now.

Also keep in mind PFF’s ratings system accounts for missed snaps. Reid missed 3 games with the PCL sprain, then spent 3 games filling in at WILL backer. So while 30th overall out of 120-something qualifiers is pretty good, in the 10 games he was actually playing safety, he was playing at a Pro Bowl level.

I dunno if that makes him “top 5”, but he’s good to very good, only 26, and has 69 career starts + playoff experience. Even with some durability concerns, but that’s the kind of resume that teams usually trip over each other trying to back up the Brinks truck for.

Seems more than likely at this point this really is about politics, not football. I mean Kurt Coleman (PFF #76 safety, 30 years old) of all people got 3yr/$18m and from a team that plays 80 miles from Eric Reid’s alma mater…

75. “Deserves” his money?

I think he let one slip there.
    ____________________________

No he didn’t… That is the attitude that he takes and Seahawks fans have been hearing it for a few years now. Why do you think Kam Chancellor held out for four games getting nothing in return but a couple of losses for the team as a whole, denying them HFA in the playoffs.

76. Take a stand if you must players, just don’t be offended when a majority of the public doesn’t agree. Also remember it’s the fans that buy the tickets the merchandise and support the advertisers. If the fans decide enough is enough the owners must do something. It’s not just the players who make a living off the NFL! That’s just business.

77. Quado Cox says:
    March 20, 2018 at 9:09 pm
    Wellman says:
    ========================================

—————————
    What rights are you talking about? Where in the constitution does it say anyone is required to gift someone else a high paying job.

78. Lets make this very simple so the slow folks can understand. If Aunt Susie decided to protest fur during your cousins wedding, she has a constitutional right to do so. Fantastic. Aunt Susie should accept the fact, however, that she likely will never be invited to another family wedding. This has nothing to do with how the family members feel about fur but simply dont want their special event to be hijacked by someone with a reputation for doing so in the past.

79. “jbcommonsense says:
    March 21, 2018 at 1:10 am
    Just because you hire somebody does not give you the right to tell them how to act or express their political beliefs.”

Two things:

1) True..once hired an employer is limited with what legal behaviors they can restrict on an employee. But nothing forces an employer to hire such a person if they know this beforehand.

2) You cant just behave anyway once hired and expect no consequences. I cant slap an anti-war sticker on the company car. A math teacher cant just pass out Pro abortion pamphlets.

80. “23fandrew says:
    March 20, 2018 at 8:00 pm

The players are simply responding to a situation that is forced upon them”

__________________________________________

No one is forcing them to be pro athletes making millions of dollars. They can easily join the real world like the rest of us. A business has a right to promote a culture that will appeal to their customers. People who hate the flag, hate the military, hate the police arent buying tickets, official jerseys, and most advertizer products.

81. Hey Florio, perhaps now it would be useful for you to use your law degree and explain to Mr. Reid that, while the Constitution protects his freedom of speech, it provides no protection from the consequences of exercising that right. If any reader of this site chose to make a political statement at their place of work that damaged their employers business they would be unemployed. Stand up for what you believe but be prepared that you may pay a price, choose accordingly, and live with it (like the rest of us).

82. When are these players going to realize one basic fact of life that one of them have the RIGHT to play in the NFL? Playing in the NFL is a privilege that is determined by a number of factors, only one of which is how is their talent level. If an owner determines that a player may harm his team via his actions, be they on or off the field, that owner has every right (and in fact a responsibility) to look elsewhere to fill a roster need.

Like Kaepernick, Reid made his choice to use his employer (his status as an NFL player which wearing an NFL uniform) to promote what he believes to be systemic racial injustice and police brutality. The fact that a vast majority of NFL fans (despite all the positive attention media outlets have showered these protests with) find these protests offensive is going to have a negative effect on both the team and the NFL as a whole.

Reid is free to exercise his first amendment rights, even in uniform if the owner allows it; Reid is not free of the consequences of his actions, and the fact that he and Sherman are whining about this only shows how out of touch with reality they are.

83. 23fandrew says:
    March 20, 2018 at 8:00 pm
    ——————————————–
    I am a Federal employee and we stand for the National Anthem at all formal gatherings. We also say the Pledge of Allegiance and everyone of any ethnic background participates. Why, because they know that while they are on the clock they toe the company line. They can protest on their own time if they want.

84. Jeeze, he was the #4 safety on the 49ers last year and LOST HIS SS JOB until injuries to Tartt & Ward & Foster & Smith plus Bowman being cut let him back on the field, first as a substitute LB then SS. The 49ers safeties, in order, were Tartt, Colbert, Ward & Reid:

Tartt can do it all.
    Colbert has an amazing feel for FS.
    Ward can cover though he doesn’t have Colbert’s feel for the position.
    Reid can’t cover and is a limited, in-the-box safety.

Guys who were 4th best on their team aren’t Top-5 safeties in the NFL. Especially those on a fairly poor pass defense!

End. Of. Story.

85. Brandon in Northwest Suburbia says:
    March 21, 2018 at 2:25 am

PFF ratings a joke. Their own stats prove it. For example, they rate o-lines on sacks, pressure, etc. But they also keep time to throw data.

When you adjust sacks, pressures and hurries for QB THROWING TIMES, you find many ‘bad’ lines are good and many ‘good’ lines are not very good.

In short, QBs with wind-up deliveries always make their lines look worse than they are. QBs with quick, compact deliveries always make their lines look better than they are.

And they can’t figure that out as they finger-point & praise. Even though they have the DATA RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR NOSES.

86. darcrequiem says:
    March 20, 2018 at 7:17 pm

——————————————————————————————–

I’m 26 too, by that logic I should be signed too right? I’m in my prime and I don’t even kneel like an idiot. Can you be my agent? I need someone who understands the market better than everyone else.

87. Dang people…..all this because Kaep was pouting after Blaine Gabbert beat him out for the starting QB position….

88. Any player that disrespects our flag and our men and women who fight for their right to make an asinine amount of money to play a game, should be black-balled from the sport. And anyone that thinks of these people as roll models really needs to reevaluate their lives and get a clue.

89. Man…. the heavy majority of the people who are discrediting this guy are uneducated followers. Sheep. The players are protesting what is wrong & happening in America on the daily. Especially racial equality

Just happens that they have a HUGE STAGE to voice their opinions & to that I salute them. But unfortunately to the uneducated it looks like disrespect to the military men & women who are willing to sacrifice themselves for their country. But also we cannot say that the military is squeaky clean either.

Which really doesn’t bother me. Do what ya gotta do to be the most intelligent badass operation you can & need to be. It’s the issues in America that are largely being ignored. SO GET A GRIP NFL FANS & PERSONALL. How many teams could use KAEPERNICK right now instead of AJ McCarron, San Bradford & Mike Glennon?

KAPERNICK TO BUFFALO…..”Bills Guy”

90. Chris Nigro says:
    March 21, 2018 at 9:08 am

————–

None. Kaep is kaput.

91. I pay to watch games not here their uneducated opinions or there personal agendas. They are entertainers not politians. Keep your hole shut and play the game and be thankful.

92. “Deserves his money”? WTF?

I’ve been working for my employer loyally for nearly twelve years now…I just had a $5000 a year pay cut handed to me because the market for our industry is soft; I’ll probably be out of a job soon, and not because I did something stupid, like protesting the anthem.

I guess peons like us don’t “deserve” our money do we, Mr. Sherman?

And if you feel the overwhelming urge to blow crap at me for my comment, go pound sand…I don’t care. I’m right, you’re not.

93. Well I don’t know if he’s a top whatever safety, I mean in my eyes the only people who deserve money like that in today’s game is Eric berry and earl Thomas. Thomas seems to be on his way out of Seattle, so I think most teams are waiting at least til after the draft to see if they can land Thomas. Maybe the market for safeties picks up then. His stance may have a lot to do with it also as team’s ownership tend to shy away from players that bring any attention that can effect bottom line profits. Take a look at ray rice, kaep, hardy and while I agree there’s still a lot to be done along the lines of racial equality we have to change the fan’s minds first before ownership. I’m okay with the stance he took, unfortunately if you’re not an exceptional player, it’s not going to go over well with ownership who are easily influenced by the public.

94. Just because you hire somebody does not give you the right to tell them how to act or express their political beliefs.
    ****************

Umm, that’s exactly what a company who hires you can do. Dress codes, ethics policies, etc are different between companies because of THEIR culture and if you don’t like it, then don’t apply.

It’s really that simple, if you want to play in the NFL, there are certain expectations on how you act when representing the team and league.

95. So what! He pissed a lot of people off owners/fans. You expect someone will want you after all that crap you did instead of playing football. Do your job first! Wah.

96. I’m guessing every single person who has a problem with Kap and Reid are white, and none cared about these issues before the protests began. Your lives are different…you don’t get it.
    ======================================
    That victim mentality does not help

97. Absolute right to speak his mind! Now he has all the the time in the world to do so. Go for it!
    For football fans, let’s move on ya all.

98. Chris Nigro says:

March 21, 2018 at 9:08 am

KAPERNICK TO BUFFALO…..”Bills Guy”
    ————————
    Sorry bro, many of us know that the crap on tv and news isn’t real!

99. jbcommonsense says:
    March 21, 2018 at 1:10 am
    —————————————

Maybe you should send a letter to the executives of Google, Facebook and Amazon and see if they agree with you.

100. “He deserves his money.”

Deserves? NOPE. That’s really all you have to hear to understand how entitled these players are.

101. bradygirl12 says:
    March 21, 2018 at 8:08 am
    “Sherman’s been a 49er for a whole week, and already, he’s opening his big yap.”

Didn’t you hear? He’s “an agent” now.

102. In a game where the fanbase is 90%+ Americans, wouldn’t you want your players to appeal to the fanbase? It’s a no brainer for me, if you don’t respect the flag and what it means to many of the fans, then you better be damn good at football to make up for the lost fans.

103. Well there’s always the CFL or European league if you can’t find a job in the NFL. Of course you may have problems there also. They don’t care about your BS there and you’ll find yourself onboard the very next train if you mess up.

104. Lack of cover skills is the cause and he wants to point finger elsewhere. He should accept responsibility for his own style of play. The rise of slot receivers are helping to kill his type of player. All of the “run defender” type of DB always seem to have shorter careers than the others. It seems like around 5 yrs is where these guys get released.

105. He got to protest, no one put him in jail or physically restrained him, that doesn’t mean that any team should be forced to sign him to a new contract. Why don’t you try protesting on your work time and see how long you are employed.