Thirteen teams watched Johnny Manziel throw

George Whitfield

More than two years after he last played in the NFL, Johnny Manziel still attracts attention. He drew 13 teams to watch him throw at the University of San Diego’s Pro Day.

Scouts from the Bears, Browns, Chargers, Giants, Chiefs, Jets, Patriots, Raiders, Titans, Lions, Jaguars, Panthers and Bucs were on hand, Eric Williams of ESPN reports.

The Broncos were not among the teams to scout Manziel despite an earlier report from KUSA’s Mike Klis, who since has tweeted a correction clarifying the Broncos were not present.

Manziel’s private coach, George Whitfield, took the quarterback through the throwing session. Manziel had 38 throws to receivers and tight ends, according to Whitfield, and was “stronger” and had “more horsepower.”

Manziel, 25, went 2-6 in his two seasons in Cleveland after the Browns made him a first-round pick. Off-field troubles and work ethic hampered his first NFL try, but having cleaned up his act, Manziel hopes for a second chance to do better.

The former Heisman Trophy winner remains talented, which gives him at least a remote chance to catch on somewhere.

52 responses to “Thirteen teams watched Johnny Manziel throw

1. nhpats says:
    March 22, 2018 at 3:44 pm
    Watch BB pick up Manziel and turn him into the next Jimmy Garapolo.

——————–

I hope so, since they gave the last one away for next to nothing.

2. Wait- Scouts from the Browns were there? To scout the quarterback they cut??
    If the Browns re-signed him, that would be the most Browns thing ever.

3. Nobody will take another chance on him, too many good QB’s out there. He is behaving himself
    simply because he is broke..His 1st big check and he will right back to being party boy.

4. Watch him come to KC as and Andy Reid project. Big red will groom him to be worth trade bait in a couple years

5. Hmm, kind of counters the last article in which you portrayed Elway as nothing more than an adversary to “THAT ONE GUY”. Good job, fellas. You’re doing a real bang-up job.

6. He is only 25 and won’t cost a draft pick or much money. If I was a QB needy team I’d let him try out. If he doesn’t make it just cut him. Worth the risk.

7. I don’t root against anyone, unless they’ve done some heinous crime. He was just immature.

The NFL needs 32 good to great QB’s and the NFL does not have that. So why root against a better league? Bad karma, anyway…

8. It’s silly that Manziel can’t even get a camp contract.

It’s not as absurd as Kaep not getting a camp contract, but it’s still silly.

9. I hope he really has things turned around. It’s not an easy thing to do, and many people can never get over the hump. I don’t know if he should be playing in the NFL or not, but if that gave him enough incentive to get clean and sober, then the NFL has done a lot for him already. I am skeptical but wish him well

10. 13 more teams than showed up to watch Kapernick work out in Houston, correct? And they were there for SD Pro day, Johnny was the qb for some receivers, coulda been anybody. Wonder if they paid him with a 40 and some slim jims.

11. All that matters for Johnny is his athletic ability. Like Kaep, if anyone gives Manziel a job, it will be as a wildcat/option QB for the occasional trick play, not as a starter or backup. Since NFL teams normally don’t waste roster spots on trick play QBs that get on the field only a few plays a season, if I were Johnny, I wouldn’t hold my breath on the NFL. He needs to go to the CFL and improve his passing skills.

12. nhpats says:
    March 22, 2018 at 3:44 pm
    Watch BB pick up Manziel and turn him into the next Jimmy Garapolo.

///////////////////////////

This has to be the stupidest comment I have ever read on PFT. But consider the source.

13. Manziel’s picked up some “horsepower”… that’s very intriguing.
    Low horsepower is why Brady was picked so low in the 2000 draft.
    I wish they would publish everyone’s rated HP at the combine.

14. can’t believe your cleveland clowns watched him. what a mega bust johnny drunko was. if the clowns signed him, hahahahhahahha

15. fosnomore says:
    March 22, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Browns were attending? Dude wrecked the Browns, not this league.
    ——————-

You must be new to the NFL, and to the Browns organization.

16. bigbencrybaby says:
    March 22, 2018 at 4:10 pm

The author of this story said Manziel remains talented. Who the hell was he watching?
    ——————–

Were you there watching him?

17. I think it’s funny that Pats fans think that BB is coaching after 2018. Your 2019 coach is McDaniels. That’s why he stayed. Bill doesn’t give a rats rearend how the Pats do after this year.

18. Weren’t they there to watch San Diego’s pro day? It amazes me how some folks continue to slobber over this guy and make him the story.

19. He went 2-6? That would make him a Super Bowl star on a team with competent coaching and management.

20. flviking says:
    March 22, 2018 at 4:14 pm

+++++++++++

Apparently you don’t read your fellow Viking fans.

21. mmack66 says:

Browns were attending? Dude wrecked the Browns, not this league.
    ——————-

You must be new to the NFL, and to the Browns organization.

______________________________________

On 2014 draft day, Johnny texts Browns QB coach Dowell Loggains and states ‘I wish you guys would come get me. Hurry up and draft me because I want to be there. I want to wreck this league together.’

Now who’s new?

22. The Manziel-to-NE story may not be all that far fetched.

They need a backup, not a starter.
    Brady has the full backing from Kraft.
    Kraft may or may not have ‘influenced’ BB to trade Garoppolo.
    Signing Manziel would create some palace intrigue.
    The recent Super Bowl was supposed to be the ‘coronation game’ for BB and Brady. Now, they both realize that the window is going to close. Sets the stage for an intense year in NE.

In any case, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the Pats QB room if they do sign him.

23. I second Manziel to the Patriots idea. The Patriots system is so great a high school QB can start and have success. Now can you imagine someone with Manziel’s talent in it especially if he has addressed all of his off the field issues? Sky is the limit.

24. First, USD and SDSU not the same but both seem to have a lot of smokin coeds. Would be a great story if he completes his turn-around and earns a roster spot.

Kaep take notes…if you really want to play get your agent to get you invited to a pro day vs. playing catch in Houston.

25. Come on….he was in the parking lot throwing the ball as the 13 nfl scouts drove right past him into the gated campus. I know,causing I was kicking a football trying to get noticed.

26. Go Johnny Go…. Johnny be good…. God bless America, not sure if this guy will ever make it back, but f… it, that’s why we love this great country and this game.

27. kingthielenscourt says:

March 22, 2018 at 3:52 pm

————

lol. Johnny is not broke. He is from a very rich family and I believe has a trust fund in his name. He has other ways to get money if he needs it. That is probably part of his problem and fall from grace. He took his opportunity to play the NFL for granted because he is a spoiled rich kid. I do believe he wants to play football and that’s why he is back, not money. Weather he will actually come through this time is an entirely different topic.

28. Give me a break…watching someone throw without pads and without getting rushed. lol

This stinks of a Kaep vs Manziel race story that the liberal media will jump on.. Get ready!

And no way JM plays in the NFL again!

29. ayokel21 says:

March 22, 2018 at 6:43 pm

I hope he gets back in the league somehow. Go watch his college highlights. Dude was fun to watch.
    ————–