Cowboys expect to draw record crowd of 270,000 to draft

Getty Images

The NFL won’t use every seat at AT&T Stadium for its draft next week, instead creating an “end-zone theater.” But the Cowboys still expect around 25,000 fans to witness the selection process inside the stadium each day.

The NFL’s draft lottery for free tickets set a record, and with a capacity of 108,000 each day at the Draft Experience outside the stadium, this draft could surpass last year’s numbers.

“I would just say that we always hope to beat previous numbers,” Chad Estis, the Cowboys’ executive vice president of business operations, said. “. . . We have high expectations. The lottery for people to receive the tickets in the actual theater has exceeded what they had last year, so there’s some early indications that we have an opportunity to have some super large numbers out there.”

Philadelphia drew 250,000 last year to the three-day outdoor event, setting the all-time draft attendance mark, while drawing rave reviews.

The Cowboys expect thousands to attend the festival outside the stadium without seeing the actual draft, with total crowds somewhere around 90,000 fans in attendance each day.

“Everything we do, I’m told a record is a must,” Estis said. “We’ve got a nice list going with NBA All-Star and WrestleMania and Academy of Country Music Awards. Add this to the list.”

For the first time, each of the 32 teams will have a section just for its fans.

“I think the NFL really views this event as an event for diehard football fans,” Estis said. “So I think having team sections like that, down on the floor, close to the stage to create all that really cool atmosphere of hardcore fans, I think that’s what the NFL wants, and I know they’re working hard to make sure that fans from each of those markets end up in those seats. I think that would just create this unique dynamic.

55 responses to “Cowboys expect to draw record crowd of 270,000 to draft

1. But I thought the league was dead. So many posters here said they’d never watch again….270,000 people for the DRAFT.

2. joker65 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:07 pm
    ——-

Most people are going to go to be seen or to be able to check in on social media.

3. Like the comment about the league being “dead.” When people find out they’re in the social minority…well it unfortunately rarely changes anything because they still think that they’re speaking for everyone when they are not. 270k for the draft is crazy…but it’s not the Cowboys doing it – it’s the NFL. Why? I don’t know because outside of the first, maybe second round I find it boring. But…I still watch the game.

4. Is Dallas/Fort-Worth really that bad of a place to be in April? This is at the top of 270k people’s list? (says the guy commenting on it, I know, I know).

5. alonestartexan says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:11 pm
    joker65 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:07 pm
    ——-

____

Took a survey of those attending, did ya? Just how did you come up with that solid information?

6. Still will not be better than the 2017 Draft in Philadelphia. Fly Eagles Fly…oh..Fly Super Bowl Champion Eagles Fly!!!

Drew Pearson..the Eagles and all Eagles fans have some unfinished business with you..in your house!

7. Since Dallas absolutely NAILED that last Super Bowl they had, screw it, put the draft there too. I wonder how many thousands of paying attendees will be screwed out of what they paid for.

8. The Truth says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:09 pm
    @joker65

They get that many morons for bullfights. Your point ?

____

Yeah, in countries where bullfighting is extremely popular. Kind of like the NFL here…

9. “The league has never been more popular!” — Guy getting booed by 25,000 people a day

10. joker65 says:

===============================================

The sinking ratings for the games don’t lie, big guy. And people aren’t paying $200 for a ticket to the draft.

11. The Truth says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:06 pm
    270,000 dull, unmotivated couch potatoes
    —————————–
    Seems an insane number, but as much as I usually struggle to get interested in the draft, as a football fan if it was in my town and I got a free ticket, even I’d go once for the experience. The dull unmotivated couch potatoes are the ones who just sit on their butts doing nothing and moan into their computers about what others are DOING.

12. 250,000 hormone raging young bucks looking for some talent all right and 20,000 women hoping to catch their eye.

13. @ Irish Hoodlum says:

“Can’t wait to hear it live in Jerry World. With the 32nd pick in the NFL draft the Super Bowl Champion Eagles select……… Can’t wait!”

Be sure to view the 5 Super Bowl Trophies on display while you are at it, and then do the math…… Sorry, I can’t wait either, so I will do the math for you: 5 Lombardi’s to 1 Lombardi. Enough said.

14. absolutevisuals says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:32 pm
    Why?! It’s just the draft. Serious question.
    ========================================

Agreed!

I would rather watch grass grow.

15. .
    Cowboys fans will have to wait until #19 for the Dallas selection. Even then, there’s a chance that they will move the pick in an Earl Thomas trade.

16. The Truth says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:09 pm
    @joker65

They get that many morons for bullfights. Your point
    ——–

Would they get that many morons for the bullfighters draft?(I know it’s not a thing). Keep in mind this isn’t an actual football game. The NFL draft is more popular than any other professional sports draft by far. And I bet these NFL drafts get waaaay higher ratings than any bullfighting event gets.

17. I’d go just to watch who will become a future ex-Cowboy getting paid for being cut.

Jerry’s at about $22M in dead cap this year from what BGN says.

That’s quite an accomplishment.

At this rate he’ll be stupid enough to get one of the best college coaches ever, watch him win some Super Bowls out of thin air and then fire him at their peak for a college buddy…

Take Jimmy out of the lore and Jerrah’s the richest ZERO in the NFL.

18. I can see the benefits of having the Draft in a stadium, but it also seems like giving up. The traveling draft is better when embedded within the streets, parks or plazas of its host city.

19. So many posters here said they’d never watch again….270,000 people for the DRAFT

Think hard about that number.

20. thegreatgabbert says:
    April 17, 2018 at 7:02 pm
    Time for Trump to announce a rally next door to AT&T and claim the attendance for himself.
    ______
    Your safe space missed you…..

21. joker65 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:18 pm
    alonestartexan says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:11 pm
    joker65 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 6:07 pm
    ——-

____

——————————-
    They’re there. That’s all that matters. I thin 270,000 for the draft is a heck of a lot of people.

And bullfighting guy…where the heck did that come from? 270,000 is several times more that it would be if these were actual NFL games. Clearly people are interested. But, yeah…bullfighting.

22. jsrdc says:
    April 17, 2018 at 7:08 pm

___________________________________________________________________________

We Eagles fans will be looking for them, but not sure we can find those trophies under the dust they have been collecting for the last 25 years.

23. But …. the 250k in Philly got to see the draft. So should philly count the Millions of people that are in Philly as well because they were outside the Art Museum Section of the city ?

24. 5 Lombardi trophies? I guess beating the actual coach, Vince Lombardi, doesn’t count.

Read that article again, the Cowboys organization clearly has Philly envy. They will not match the attendance and will woefully underperform in the passion department.

25. @ dutch388,

Dust is something you and the rest of the Eagles fans recognize extremely well, as that is all that has been in your team’s trophy case for decades. Last time l checked, 5 “dusty” trophies is still 4 more than 1 trophy. Legacies span far more than just one year, Bro. Yourlegacy includes 1 trophy – the Cowboys 5 trophies. Don’t hate the math…

Nice try, but no dice.

26. RogerGoodellGropedMe says:
    April 17, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Dallas fan bragging about 20 year old trophies. Pathetic.
    ——————————————————————
    Just like you clowns will be bragging about your one trophy 20 years from now. You’re still living off those Stanley Cups some 40+ years ago.

27. Where are the Mark Cuban was right noobs hiding at? Even more hilarious is this will be in Dallas where Mark Cuban and his garbage NBA team resides. Will this 270k be more than the entire year attendance for his lame Mavericks? That will be comical beyond belief

28. Ya think if scattershot prescott throws out the first football it might go to one ofmthe 90,000 ? I say it lands in a trash recepticle

29. Not all that impressive of a record, if they get there.
    How long has the draft been 3 days?
    How long have they had the draft outside of a small venue in New York?
    Its not like they are taking down decades of history

30. “If you remember last year when our Drew Pearson stood up to announce our second-round pick in Philadelphia, and it created such a stir in the auditorium there. I think that’s something everybody looked to and said, ‘That’s actually the kind of atmosphere that you want at one of these events.’ So by having all the teams represented down right in front of the stage, I think we’ve just created some really interesting atmosphere.”

That was a natural organic thing, which is what made it great. Trying to recreate a moment like that will just blow up in their face.

31. They should be…the Cowboys have been right at the top in terms of drafting…with as many All Pros as anyone since 2010! They routinely find gems and overachievers… Really the only thing holding this team back is their head coach who is easily the worst in the league… nobody has gotten less out of so much talent the way Garrett has…think Seattle game in a must win…why on Earth would Garrett call 3 straight passes with 1st and Goal at the one…? Which ultimately resulted in a missed chip shot FG…

32. Youre having the draft in a stadium with no organic flow whatsoever.

Philadelphia had it at a historical monument, and it turned out great in the open air. I don’t know why they didn’t do 2 years in a row, when it was such a great event.

The good news for me is, I don’t have to watch it this year. Having the 32nd pick isn’t something to camp out hours for. Then no seconds or thirds means no Friday. And I don’t watch 4-7, just get feeds on them from the Eagles directly.

So, I don’t have to watch this aberration. Thank heavens.

33. “Everything we do, I’m told a record is a must.” Jerruh simply cannot handle what the Eagles accomplished last season – from the draft right on up to bringing home the Lombardi. I love it!

34. Only 25k watching the draft a day? Thats weak Dallas. Thats not even gonna be close to Philly.

35. garyandersonsonly1998fgmiss says:
    April 17, 2018 at 8:27 pm
    RogerGoodellGropedMe says:
    April 17, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Dallas fan bragging about 20 year old trophies. Pathetic.

Legacies have no time boundaries, swifty. Why do you think the Packer fans talk about their 13 world championships (4 of which are SB wins)? Unless you are a Steelers fan, you can’t better the Cowboys’ 5 SB rings. Lombardi trophies represent a legacy, and they don’t deteriorate with time. Eagles fan with a SINGLE Lombardi who thinks their lone trophy shines brighter than all the others try to disagree, but their legacy is all dust prior to 2017. Pretty typical for those fans who boo and throw snowballs at Santa…..

Lombardi trophies are the pinnacle of this league, regardless of when they were won.