Andrew Luck won’t be throwing at minicamp

Getty Images

The Colts get an extra minicamp, because they have a new coach. But that’s no benefit for their current quarterback.

Via George Bremer of the Anderson (Ind.) Herald-Bulletin, Andrew Luck won’t be throwing at the minicamp.

More specifically, he won’t be throwing at all. He won’t even be throwing to play catch during warmups.

Luck continues to recover from shoulder surgery performed in January 2017. The thinking is that, by skipping steps during his rehab, Luck set himself back — possibly making it harder to ever get back to 100 percent.

At some point, Luck will reach maximum medical improvement in his shoulder. The question isn’t whether he’s back to what he was before the surgery, but how close (or maybe how far) he’ll be from his prior 100-percent capacity.

74 responses to “Andrew Luck won’t be throwing at minicamp

1. I really hope college produces a wonderstud QB this upcoming season so we can spend our soon-to-be-acquired number 1 pick on a needed player in next year’s draft.

2. His fall from “perceived” grace is astonishing. I was never a fan. His inability to play proves he never should have sniffed his current contract. Should be making $35K doing cold calls for a marketing company in Indy instead.

3. I don’t think they can even trade him if they wanted, he can’t pass a physical. The Colts are in a bad way. Time to cut bait, draft the next man up.

4. Out of all the comments that get rejected by the people that control these comments, they let an idiotic comment like this slide?? One of the worst comments I’ve seen on any board.
    ___________________________________
    waynefontesismyfather says:
    April 24, 2018 at 2:30 pm

5. I pray they draft a QB in round one. Media would lose their marbles!! but it might be a good year to do it.

6. I once tried to teach my dog to catch a frisbee…. She chased it, I gave her a treat for effort…But she never actually caught it.

7. If Andrew Luck didn’t have that one above average year in 2014 pretty sure the Colts wouldn’t have traded out of the #3 pick. His career has been less John Elway and more Andy Dalton.

8. “They’ll be lucky if he ever plays in the NFL again.”

Fixed your statement for you.

Its a shame. I never thought of him as a top QB that lived up to his hype, but he was a competent one and there are few enough of those to go around.

9. Too much time has gone by with out throwing a football to expect him to be the same player.

10. Two years to fix a shoulder? Have the malpractice carriers of his doctors and trainers been notified yet?

11. They have the 11th pick in the draft. If they take a quarterback there, you will know two things. (1) Luck is in worse shape than they are letting on, and (2) Josh McDaniels may have known something.

12. If he can’t throw after 15 months of rehab and recovery, the odds are that he never will. Sadly it sounds like that injury was career ending.

13. That’s how it started the last time. Next we’ll be reading that Luck might not be ready for the first pre-season game. Then it will be the first regular season game. Then week four. Then week 8. Etc.

14. It’s a crying shame Luck stayed at Stanford for his senior year. If he’d not done that, the Panthers would have drafted him No. 1 after John Fox’s lame duck disastrous year and Carolina fans like me would have a SuperBowl winning team to brag about. Instead, the Suck for Luck gang hauled him in and then stuck him behind an offensive line that couldn’t protect him. He would not have had that problem in Carolina. Oh, the twisted winds of fate!

15. I think they’re fine with Brissett. He’s competent, which makes him better than half the QBs in the league. They need to pick the best OL available with their first couple picks. It’s amazing how much better your QB and running game get with competent blocking.

16. pastabelly says:
    “They have the 11th pick in the draft. If they take a quarterback there, you will know two things. (1) Luck is in worse shape than they are letting on, and (2) Josh McDaniels may have known something.”

The ONLY thing JOSH ever knew is that he was a humongous DOUCHEY LOSER boy, and now EVERYONE else knows too! Best thing that happened to the Colts was that DOLT JOSH turned them down! And now that clown boy will never get another chance to be a head coach! Well maybe saint christian junior high school coach “head” coach.

17. It will take years for the Colts to overcome the Ryan Grigson effect. I feel for Colts fans. The Colts drafted a terrific QB that most thought had nothing but upside, instead, the Cols, broke him by not protecting him.

18. nfloracle says:
    April 24, 2018 at 3:02 pm
    It’s a crying shame Luck stayed at Stanford for his senior year.

___________________________________________________________

19. The Patriots broke the poor kid. And since Goodell started checking the pressure of footballs and found all but one of the Colts’ balls under-inflated, Luck has been horrible

20. I don’t know why this team hasn’t moved on. I get it is Andrew Luck. But he hasn’t thrown a pass in 2 years. And wont be throwing anytime soon. But then I see their owner. And it all makes sense.

21. Thats ok. The Colts should just start building around Brisette. The fans need to stop being so fixated on Luck that they hold it against Brisette that hes not the guy they were expecting. The organization needs to stop pretending this is Lucks team and build it for Brisette. The longer they play this game the longer it will take to build a winner. They have a good direction to go if they just would.

22. If I were a Colts fan this would be very concerning news. I’m rooting for Frank Reich to turn the Colts around but I think they mislead him on Luck. Think how easy it is to throw a football yet your QB won’t throw at all? Over a year after his initial surgery? Something is very wrong there!

23. nfloracle says:
    April 24, 2018 at 3:02 pm
    ——————————————————————————————
    Yeah, right. In case you haven’t noticed, the Panthers give up sacks, too. Ever hear of Vonn Miller?

24. SEXYREXY ….I can picture them out there with the little oil can, lubing up his shoulder like the tin man in Wizard of Oz
    FUNNIEST THING I READ AN HEARD …I CAN PICTURE IT….SQUIK SQUIK !!!

25. THE 30 FOR 30 SPECIAL ON ESPN” What if Andrew had an O-line..What if the Owner Didn’t smoke crack before the Draft..WHAT IF HE LEFT School Early and went to Another Team ????? WHAT IF !!!

26. If I’m the Colts I call Denver and swap pick # six for pick # five and ….and pray there is a qb any top qb. Sorry, but that is what I would do and look at trading Luck or the new guy in a year or two.

27. nhpats says:
    April 24, 2018 at 3:46 pm
    =======================

Making that false accusation really blew up in the Colts faces. As fall out from the frame job they helped launch, the Colts couldn’t deflate footballs any more and Luck’s shoulder fell apart as a result. The Colts really should have thought things through, but no one ever accused Irsay and Grigson of being too cerebral.

28. Russell Wilson doesn’t have an O-Line either. *shrugs*

I actually can remember 5 years ago when Indy fans were arguing every single day that their quarterback was better than *insert name here*.

It has been a long time since I heard an obnoxious Indy fan. Beaten into submission they are.

29. Someone in Indy needs to just admit it’s over and start scouting QB’s in the draft. But not at the 3rd pick – they foolishly traded that one away before getting honest with themselves.

30. Indy had better hope that Brissett can carry the team, because I don’t think Luck is ever going to play in the NFL again. I hope I’m wrong, but there’s no way it should take two years to recover from shoulder surgery. Something is very, very wrong with Luck’s shoulder, and it’s not going to magically heal in the next four months. I feel bad for the fans in Indy. This might be karma for the way Robert Irsay ripped the heart out of Baltimore all those years ago.

31. I figured out the way to get around the censors…I baked cookies for the PFT office! Oatmeal Raisin, oh boy that is my specialty! And if my earlier comment was “the worse I’ve seen on any board” then you don’t visit a lot of websites.
    – – – – – – – – – –
    broncosroe says:
    April 24, 2018 at 2:37 pm
    ___________________________________
    waynefontesismyfather says:
    April 24, 2018 at 2:30 pm

32. “This might be karma for the way Robert Irsay ripped the heart out of Baltimore all those years ago.”

To be fair to that Irsay, he pulled out of town in the middle of the night because the city was going to try and take the team from him using eminent domain.

“On March 27, 1984, the Maryland Senate passed legislation giving the city of Baltimore the right to seize ownership of the Colts by eminent domain, an idea first floated in a memo written by Baltimore mayoral aide Mark Wasserman. Robert Irsay said that his move was “a direct result” of the eminent domain bill.”

I think most people would have moved their extremely valuable business at that point if the city was going to steal it from them.

33. looking for the most idiotic post-
    ————————————
    terripet says:
    April 24, 2018 at 2:39 pm
    He will be 100 percent opening day

12 81 Rate This

34. nfloracle says:
    April 24, 2018 at 3:02 pm
    *******************
    Haven’t you been warned about drunk posting? Luck was always more hype than anything resembling the ‘savior status’ given him. At his best, he was a mediocre QB. I don’t know what you saw that makes you think Luck was a Super Bowl QB after playing in the worst division throughout his career. Cam is better and at the time so was RG3. Stop with the excuses of the OL killing his career. I saw him slamming into LBs down field and that’s on him.

History has shown us that all frauds will be exposed, no matter how much ‘we’ want them to succeed. SEE: Manziel. Luck is not in Manziel’s class on any scale, but his career will end with unrealized potential. I wish him the best after football.

35. Peoples Republic of PFT says: April 24, 2018 at 3:31 pm
    “If memory serves his daddy didn’t want him to play for the Panthers….that’s why he played his senior year.”

==================

Not true. He simply wanted to finish his senior year and get his degree in structural engineering. Super smart kid. I hope you can structurally engineer his throwing shoulder!