Virginia Police reviewing traffic stop of Paul Richardson

Getty Images

Washington wide receiver Paul Richardson was ticketed in Virginia yesterday, and now police say they’re reviewing the incident after Richardson said he was asked inappropriate questions by the state trooper who pulled him over.

Richardson wrote on Twitter that he didn’t appreciate the officer treating him like a criminal just because he was driving a new and expensive car shortly after signing a five-year, $40 million contract.

“Before asking my name he asked me if I was in a gang, then minutes later told me he thought I was a dealer (drugs),” Richardson wrote. “What a welcome to the east coast. Finished up with asking me how much car cost me. I’ve had this car 2 weeks and this amazing officer gave me a ticket for only having temporary registration. Mind you I have up to 2 months in Va before needing to register it AGAIN in Virginia.”

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said a review is underway over Richardson’s tweets.

“While no formal complaint has been filed, the Department is reviewing the matter, to include the trooper’s in-car camera footage of the traffic stop, to determine if the traffic stop was handled in accordance with state police policy,” Geller told ESPN.

Police say Richardson was cited for failing to have his new Mercedes SUV properly registered.

88 responses to “Virginia Police reviewing traffic stop of Paul Richardson

1. One guys word vs anothers. Until they start recording these conversations the dash cam won’t tell us anything. He said she said. If it’s true pretty pathetic.

2. With all due, Paul Richardson is not and never has been a Michael Bennett. Best I can tell he has never been involved in anything untoward. If it was Bennett I would be questioning it all day. But this is a pretty decent Joe just driving around in his new digs.

As someone who has been asked such questions before (not about my car cost, of course) I really wonder why it is so hard for some folks to understand this really does happen?

3. Alright Paul…you got eyes on the incident like you wanted. Now lets see if you took any liberties telling your side of the story.

Get your popcorn ready.

4. These guys are too dumb to realize that they’re probably being recorded. He’ll be exposed as a liar, trying to play the race card, just like Michael Bennett in Las Vegas…

5. All police need to wear body cams with audio recording. A citizen review board should be allowed to see all footage. If cops turn off cams or cut audio for reasons beyond their control, immediate termination. All police need to have a 4 year degree along with at least 4 years in Military or 8 years of Military service with impeccable record. Too many people are given badges that abuse the responsibility that comes with serving and protecting communities.

6. I wonder where in VA this happened. If he had proof of temporary registration, why would the officer give him a ticket? The problem is, to fight bogus tickets, you have to waste a day and pay for parking. Whereas the officer has to be there anyways.

7. Many of the Redskin players live in that area where he got pulled over. And most of them drive expensive vehicles. This guy is here a few weeks and claims to have this kind of experience with the police? I’m skeptical.

8. It seems a lot if these incidents are coming from platyers that are or were in Seattle. I dont know what that means and offer no conclusions. But I cant help but to notice the trend. Its not all, but certainly more than other teams.

9. Sorry, but is a Mercedes SUV really the go-to vehicle for gangbangers and drug dealers?

I have a hard time envisioning a state trooper NOT thinking he stopped another soccer mom.

10. All of this hoopla over a Mercedes SUV? Really? You don’t have to be doing anything illegal to lease a Mercedes SUV for 500-700 a month lol. I’m sure that cop sees those all over. I thought this was over a Ferrari, Aston Martin or something along those lines.

11. I had a police officer put a gun to my face in Glendale, AZ. I’m white. I don’t give a rip. These guys are so overly sensitive to anything involving police now. Everyone looking for their #MeToo moment.

12. omeimontis says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:40 am
    Looks suspiciously like racial profiling, pulling over a black driver driving an expensive car.
    ___________________________________________________________________________
    No it doesn’t , the registration wasn’t correct.

13. TruFBFan says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:00 am

——————————————-
    I’ve never been pulled over unless I was guilty of something, but I absolutely believe it happens to others. It’s hard for people to understand something they never have, and probably never will, experience. White people want to see police as all good, but they have their bad guys, too. It’s a power trip for some and plain racial profiling for others.(I’m white, by the way.)

14. This sort of thing is not at all uncommon in this part of the world. I don’t understand the surprise. There will be an inquiry, a reprimand, a mandatory workshop training, and an apology and that’s it.

15. omeimontis says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:40 am

……that was not properly registered.

16. When the police weed out the “Barney Fife’s” of the police they will be an awesome organization. Its these type of police that are unprofessional and take personal liberties with citizens at will and certainly in situations that may look stereotypical. I mean, of course he ran the plate and if its stolen then act a fool, but if its not, just DO YOUR JOB!!! These type cops are DANGEROUS, and they often INCITE trouble where NONE would be without their “aid”.

17. To those who don’t live in the area; that’s VA police for you. It’s a Commonwealth and they enforce heavily and with force.

18. P-Rich has always come across as a stand up guy. I wish Seattle could have found a way to hang on to him but I’m happy for him on getting his big pay day. He has proven to be clutch when the opportunity comes. If Alex Smith can throw the deep ball, Washington will get their money’s worth.

19. Well if it true then file a formal complaint. Doesn’t matter if there’s video evidence or not, at least there will be a complaint on file in case it happens again to someone else. I hate it when people complain publicly about how bad they were treated then not file any complaint.

Bet the officer gets a slap on the hand and is forced to go through additional “training”.

20. I’m from Virginia. I hate to say it, but I would not be surprised if this were true. Had a similar happen to me a little over a decade go. I was the designated driver on New Years. My brother had just gotten his brand new GTO. Cop followed me for five miles before giving me a ticket for doing a “rolling stop” at stop sign. Which was utter BS.

I’ve lived outside of Virginia for nearly ten years now. I’ve only been pulled over once since then. And I was in the wrong in that case and should have been pulled over for the illegal u-turn I made. However the officer was nice enough to give me a warning. Living outside of Virginia has altered my perception of the police for the better.

21. I haven’t heard anything good about the interacting with the VA state troopers. Not a color thing, just some little men in the uniform on a power trip.

22. Anyone who thinks Paul is full of it and these type of “interrogations” don’t take place, watch an episode of Live PD. Almost every stop is met with a request to “search the car.” Last week, a guy said no, so they called in the K-9 unit. The dog didn’t alert on anything and he was free to go. It was sad.

23. This stuff happens every day. The only people who are skeptical of its validity are people who’ve never dealt with racial profiling. It’s normal, sadly.

24. dirtycallahan says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:04 am

omeimontis says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:40 am

……that was not properly registered.

————-

Well, if its really only been 2 weeks, then it doesn’t NEED to be registered yet. You get temp registration when you buy a car that’s good for 60 days. 14 < 60. No dealer is gonna let you off the lot without paying the registration fee, so what's MORE likely is that the cop saw a black guy driving a Benz, pulled him over and then had to find a reason to ticket him. It doesn't matter that it would get thrown out in court, the ticket still gets written to justify the stop.

Now, why Richardson didn't simply say "No, I'm not a drug dealer. I play WR for the Redskins. I just got traded here from the Seahawks a little bit ago." is beyond me. Or maybe he did and the cop then decided to make an example out of the "celebrity". I guess we'll find out.

25. I believe every word of it. I have had 3 terrible encounters with Virginia police. I’ve been profiled, followed for miles by unmarked cars, accused of having drugs, illegally searched. Virginia police are some of the worst abusers of authority in the nation. This is the entire reason behind the anthem controversy.

26. I believe Paul Richardson. I live in Maryland and I remember being pulled over in VA before (only time that is) and the office asked me “Where are you going” “are there any drugs in this vehicle or do you sell any drugs” mind you this was 7 or almost 8pm and this dude is asking me where I am going. I am a grown man and I pay taxes and can drive anywhere at anytime. Don’t pull me over asking me where I am going. That is none of your concern. What you need to tell me is why I am being pulled over and for my license and registration. I was driving my SRT charger back then, no tint or anything. Long story short, there wasn’t any violation. He told me there’s a lot of drug trafficking in the area.

27. Back in the day at a house party at college i was accused of drunk driving by the police. And i hadn’t had a drink. i had to do dumb human tricks twice. I wasn’t offended.

28. Cops have been doing this for years. When I was 16 my Dad bought a new Cadillac, I’ll bet I got pulled over a dozen times. No big deal. PS: I’m white.

29. Truth is that gangs are a huge problem in that area of the country and responsible for an overwhelming majority of gun violence. Cops are going to be on edge and ask questions.

I got pulled over a couple months ago at about 11 in the morning for speeding (and I was). Before the cop asked my name, he asked if I was drunk, if I had a firearm in the vehicle, then asked where I was going. Mind you, my wife and two kids (3 and 1) were in the vehicle and it was 11am on a Sunday. I’m also just a plain old white dude. Honestly, it did irk me but my initial reaction was not to immediately get on Twitter and start complaining about it. Get over yourself Paul, you aren’t that special.

30. For anyone that’s ever been pulled over past 3:00 am with the “sorry we are just looking for drunk drivers” warning before letting you go, just stop and think that had you happend to have had a drink they would have lied to arrest you. They would have to make up a reason to have pulled you over. I love cops. They have an image problem. Some of tat is from their own doing. I’d love nothing more than to see them get back to the days universal respect.

31. I haven’t heard anything good about the interacting with the VA state troopers. I don’t think it is a color thing, just some little men in the uniform on a power trip.

32. NFLexpert says:
    April 25, 2018 at 7:39 am
    So, how much did the car cost?
    —————————
    If you have to ask, you can’t afford it. Dude’s just paying for the name anyway.

33. I’m NEVER quick on the “race card” trigger, but if true, the jerk cop should be suspended without pay for awhile. And really, Richardson has a racial harassment lawsuit, especially if he was ticketed unlawfully.

Unfortunately for Richardson, fools like Michael Bennett force us all to start our sentences with “If true…”

34. comment above said cops should have at least 4 years of colllege and 4 years of military combined to start. really? 8 year prerequisite for a 40k job. oh plus the academy ,so almost 9 years. a phd in coptitude for 40k.

35. dirtycallahan says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:04 am
    omeimontis says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:40 am
    ……that was not properly registered.

====

The vehicle had a temporary registration that was still valid. AND, the officer would have no way of knowing whether the temp reg. was still valid without pulling the car over and checking the paperwork.

So unless this officer pulls over every single vehicle with temp tags to see if they are valid, which is highly unlikely because that is literally all he would ever have time to do, something else is going on here.

36. tomtravis76 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:43 am
    ————————————————————-

Although I agree with a lot of what you said, you must live in a fantasy land. There’s already a demand for extra police officers in the country. Guess you think people with your proposed qualifications plus the desire to be a police officer must grow on trees?

37. footballisnotthatimportant says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:55 am
    =

Do you think he asks white drivers he pulls over if they are in gang?

38. nflfollower says:
    April 25, 2018 at 7:39 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It would be equally pathetic if it isn’t true.

39. hasn’t anyone here seen The Wire? these questions are childs play and anyone who cries about this is a snowflake

40. Direct cause and effect is usually never true of any situation. Because it’s too simplistic in its view of reality. So let’s talk about correlation.

Yes, Richardson’s black.

But he’s also very young. 99.9% of people in their early 20s aren’t driving around in brand new Mercedes SUVs.

Also, I seriously doubt he was dressed like he was a doctor or a successful stock broker. 99.99999% of people who look like they walk around every day in gym shorts instead of a suit aren’t driving around in brand new Mercedes SUVs.

My guess is there would have been some questions even if it was Adam Shaheen instead of Paul Richardson.

41. He had no business asking how much the car costs…my reply would have been none of your business! and if youre gonna write a ticket then get to writing then! Wonder how things would have went if he were a white man in a suit in that same car???

42. footballisnotthatimportant says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:55 am

———-

You clearly aren’t from around here. They’re not prevalent in the area where THIS happened. Cops were just looking for a reason to break shoes. As usual. And as usual, people on here and other forums will find a way to justify it REGARDLESS of the evidence to the contrary.

… just as long as it isn’t a White person that is on the other end of the abuse of authority, that is.

43. And when I moved down here from NY, this is one of the reasons I swore off ever moving to VA.

Maryland is far better and the cops don’t even bother you unless you truly ARE breaking the law. The ones in my area is actually cool.

And you almost never hear about them in this particular area involved with these types of things. It’s always DC, northern PG and these Virginia cops.

44. dirtydrynn27 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 10:29 am
    ——–

Wouldn’t have even been pulled.

45. realityonetwo says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:52 am
    Nobody commenting here was there, so we have no idea what really happened.
    ——-

Don’t need to be. Live here. Witnessed it quite often first-hand.

46. donterrelli says:
    April 25, 2018 at 10:21 am
    Well, what’s the problem? He should have proudly said he was an NFL player. Issue over.
    ————

That would have opened up a new set of issues, and probably set off the cop. As they are much like many (not all) the commenters here: jealous of what these players earn and ready to stick it to them any chance they get.

Just read some of the comments on this thread alone.

47. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 11:06 am
    realityonetwo says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:52 am
    Nobody commenting here was there, so we have no idea what really happened.
    ——-

Don’t need to be. Live here. Witnessed it quite often first-hand.
    ______________________________________________________________

I’ve been drawn down on by cops walking down the street with a couple of friends. I was young at the time, and I’m white as can be. Nothing in my hand, no reason for it, some complaint nearby. Could have been shot in the head if I was stupid enough. Let go afterwards after a bunch of questions.

If you think black folks are the only ones who have BS run-ins with the cops you’re sadly mistaken. And THAT’S why there’s very little sympathy on forums for stories like this.

NOT because we don’t believe there’s such a thing as racial profiling. It’s because we believe the alarm bells should be saved for when the REAL problems occur (and we all know they DO), NOT for everyday stuff we all have to deal with.

Get it?

This kind of reasoned response that never seems to make it through the miasma of hate. Or is it a wall of self-interest? Probably both.

48. players are NOT protesting the flag, they are protest this! for those that think otherwise, your probably thinking that rosa parks was protesting mass transit

49. It is possible that both Paul and the Cop can be “right” in this situation. The Cop could have been explaining that he stopped the vehicle to investigate because Drug dealers and gang members often try to find ways to hide or alter their registration (Paul’s wasn’t properly displayed). The Cop could be saying those things without accusing Paul, but Paul could have felt like he was being accused. It’s not uncommon for two people to have a completely different perspective of the same conversation.

Think of it this way: A cop pulls somebody over for swerving. The cop says “I saw your vehicle swerving and we get a lot of drunk drivers on this road.” The cop isn’t necessarily saying the driver is drunk, but it would be reasonable for the driver to feel like he is being accused.

50. Nobody thinks black folks are the only ones who have bs run-ins with the cops, but what should be acknowledged is the fact that this is an every day occurence for black people in general. Being harrassed by the police is a daily tribulation as a black person, if you don’t understand it, it’s because you haven’t lived it.

51. bert1913 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 11:23 am
    ___________________

100% right. Couldn’t agree more. Sad, another DWB stop.

52. bert1913 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 11:23 am
    players are NOT protesting the flag,
    ———————————
    then why do they do it during the honoring of the flag and not at the police department front door? What did the flag do that has to do with police departments?

53. uncommon1 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
    It is possible that both Paul and the Cop can be “right” in this situation.
    —————————————–
    Amazing!! Common sense still does exist. Thank you!

54. The police are going to come back say the body cam “wasn’t working” at the time.

For those calling this “race baiting”, clearly you have no experienced racism or profiling.

55. tomtravis76 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:43 am

_________________________________________________

In spite of your intent unrealistic expectations don’t really further the discussion. Not to rain on your parade but according to the NLRB average starting pay for a police officer is $38.5k. Good luck filling the demand for cops with candidates meeting those qualifications willing to settle for putting their lives on the line for that compensation. In an ideal world all taxpayer funded positions would be filled with well trained and highly competent caring individuals of course that world wouldn’t remain ideal long since it would be taxed out of existence to pay for it right quick.

56. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 11:00 am
    footballisnotthatimportant says:
    April 25, 2018 at 9:55 am

———-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stop the race-baiting. That was NOT an abuse of authority. It may have been awkward but it wasn’t abuse

57. Ive had experiences very much like this. A few times in different states. Late at night it seems they just pick a car and see what they get. In the dark they often dont even know the race of the driver until they get up there. Im sure they did not with me. I think sometimes people think too much that everything is about them and they take the cops behavior as a reflection on them personally. But really its what they have to deal with as a whole that drives their behavior. Thats why its better to just chill and let the guy do his job.

58. So because the so called ‘registration wasn’t correct’ all this is legit in some people’s eyes? Kinda like the flashlight to the tail light, ‘had a light out’ so everything after that is fine too right?

59. unbiasedminds says:
    April 25, 2018 at 8:26 am
    I’m not one to poo-poo police, but if this is even remotely true this guy needs to be fired immediately. He is obviously a poor example of the force.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    What do you recommend if Richardson is lying? He gets a pass and no big deal because that’s how it’s been playing out.

60. jackedupboonie says:
    April 25, 2018 at 12:39 pm
    —————————————-
    Yep – that is the job the police are supposed to do. Enforce the rules we have to abide by. Even if you don’t like it that is their job. I for one appreciate their effort.

61. cabosan1978 says:
    April 25, 2018 at 12:45 pm
    jackedupboonie says:
    April 25, 2018 at 12:39 pm
    —————————————-
    ———

Says someone (and always the ones like you) who doesn’t have to ever worry about these types of things.

Sure, coach.

62. I love hearing “he pulled me over because I was black”. Although you have dark tinted windows and ITS AT NIGHT! How would the cop know??? lol

63. With dark tint, officers don’t even know the driver’s skin color before they approach the driver’s window. Stop with the race issue.

64. defscottyb says:
    April 25, 2018 at 12:56 pm
    ——–

Nobody is saying he was pulled over because of his race. The very very basic and easy to follow premise here is the problem is suggesting a young black guy can only afford a not-even-that-expensive car unless he’s a drug dealing gang banger.