Josh Allen’s offensive high school tweets unearthed

Getty Images

Well, it wasn’t a gas mask bong this year.

Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has some last-minute explaining to do, after the Internet exhumed some offensive tweets from his high school days.

The tweets, all of which have since been deleted, were published by Yahoo Sports. Some contain some racially insensitive, and well, just stupid messages. The kind of things dumb high school kids say, if those high school kids grow up without realizing there are certain words they don’t get to say, even if they use the casual version that ends with an “-a” (though there were a few that include the full “N” word).

He also tweeted: “I hate LeBron!!!!! #LeBronSucks” in 2011, which is only a problem in that it is empirically wrong and bad form if he ends up in Cleveland.

Most of the posts come from 2012 and 2013, when Allen was in high school in rural Firebaugh, Ca.

There’s no excuse (other than youthful ignorance) for the tweets themselves, but there are a few other layers of shamefulness involved here.

First, his agents should have plowed through his 9,051 tweets at some point well before the eve of the draft, found the offensive ones, and deleted them before anyone had a chance to embarrass him with his own words.

There’s also something disturbing about anyone going through the tweets of a teenager looking for smear material, as has happened in recent years to athletes and others. But when people go looking for the spotlight of social media, eventually it’s going to shine back on them, and illuminate every fault.

142 responses to “Josh Allen’s offensive high school tweets unearthed

1. whoever found the messages and made them public the day of the draft should be smeared themselves. that is a low down dirty thing to do to another person that is on the verge of bring selected in the nfl draft.

2. 1. We are long passed the days where use of the N word can be chalked up to “youthful ignorance”.
    2. If an NFL team is about to pay the young man a fortune and doesn’t do it’s due diligence on his background, including a thorough social media check, shame on it.

3. Well, if I didn’t want my Browns to draft him before, I definitely don’t want them to now.

Separate note:SOOO glad social media didn’t exist when I was a kid.

4. “Well, it wasn’t a gas mask bong this year.”
    Not yet! We are about 12 hours away from the good stuff!!

5. Evidently Josh decided not to pay up to the person/people who wanted some hush money. Good for him, he was wrong for the stupid remarks, but we all have done stupid things growing up, and yes, that means early high school years. Give it a break.

6. Wow the media has nothing better to do then go back to his high school tweets? Who cares what he said in high school. Is he the same way now? Thats all the matters. Someone is after him personally and it could be the competition

7. The same people that are going to lecture us about Kaepernick having freedom of speech are going to give no quarter to Josh Allen.

8. Come on, Yahoo. I remember they had an article plastered on the home page of their website about non-politically correct Tweets the Villanova kid made when he was 13 years old just hours after he had the game of his life in the NCAA basketball championship. Is this the level of lame “gotcha” journalism we’re at in 2018?

9. This is precisely the kind of reporting that angers anyone with a brain. Those tweets aren’t racist, and anyone reasonable can see that. As a Bills fan I hope and pray we don’t draft this guy. Not because of these comments he made when he was 14, but because of the way he plays football at 22.

10. This will go over big in the average NFL locker room. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what makes this guy a top prospect. This doesn’t help.

11. High school kid wrote things that some find offensive. Shocking!!!

The MSMedia needs to end this “gotcha” form of destructive “journalism.” Free thought should be encouraged at all times, even knowing that sometimes it will result in negative/insulting things being written or said.

12. There’s no excuse for the tweets themselves, but there are a few other layers of shamefulness involved here.
    ———————————

Allen’s account must have been hacked just like Joy Reid’s.

13. The thing of it, if PFT and others wouldn’t report this stuff, it wouldn’t be a big deal.
    That said, I do not want to hear anyone defending him by saying he was young and foolish. When you to high school age, you ought to smart enough to know there are boundaries you can’t cross.
    Personally, I think anyone who “tweets” is foolish, anyway. Especially anyone who is in or expects to be in, the limelight.

14. More breaking news just reported by Yahoo Sports: Allen was a month late once paying a Girl Scout for two boxes of Do Si Dos and his father never tipped their mail carrier at Christmas time.

15. WoW, Yahoo Sports is reporting that a teenager actually posted something on twitter that was pretty stupid! (Except the LeBron part.) The fact a adult over at Yahoo went thru the teenagers tweets is more alarming.

16. If you have a 14 year old who’s twittering this kind of crap, he’s not going to grow up to be a first round draft pick. He’s going to grow up to be a bigot just like you. I have a 15 year old. If my kid posted this kind of foolishness, I would know about it and it would be corrected with… extreme prejudice.

17. Why just why? This stuff that goes on with social media is just stupid. He was a kid….he couldn’t vote, serve his country or drink yet…for a reason…cognitively and emotionally immature….a kid. I know adults who are worse! But also come on kids…how many times have we said to watch what you post once in high school and keep your accounts private!

18. Guess everyone should have that agent huh?

I don’t know how much of a smoking gun this is – I didn’t see the tweets. One the LeBron comment – for all you know he was a Mavericks fan or a Cleveland fan. 2011 LeBron played for the Heat and lost to the Mavs in the Finals. Even people from Cleveland hated him back then because he bolted town. Context is important.

And while I never condone the use of the N-word by anyone, again I need context. Was he trying to be “urban” (again, I don’t condone that either) or was he being intentionally derogatory? Is it insensitive? Yes but when music and movies use the term so loosely it is important to understand the kid’s heart before we judge.

I do agree though – shame on the agent and shame on whoever trolled a kid’s social media looking for dirt. I condemn that more – until I see what kind of a man this guy has – and can – become.

19. Oh My Goodness, who the F cares?! Do people really have nothing better to do with their time then to look for ways to be offended?

20. One Kerry Collins (Titans; Big Blue/Giants) once did the same thing, only to have it backfire.
    Rap culture is what has sparked this idiotic slang usage of The Word.

Ugh…

21. The way he used the “n” word is the exact same way that millions of African American men use it and they deem it acceptable in athletic circles no matter who uses it. He was obviously not using to be a racial slur. If anyone can’t see that then they are just trying too hard to look for controversy when it isn’t really there. That said, some of his other tweets are just flat out bizarre. Nonetheless , he was a kid. Guessing some team like Buffalo, Arizona or New England leaked this because they want him to drop to them 🙂

22. in a day and age when everyone is pouring through every piece of data possible to learn about potential draftees, is it really disturbing that someone looks through internet history to find hints about the true character of a person?

23. purplepeople1 says:

April 26, 2018 at 8:10 am

Josh Allen is going to be a huge bust. Only reason people like him is because he can throw a long ball and he’s white.
    ———————
    Lamar Jackson will be a bust also…

24. jdlredskin says:
    April 26, 2018 at 7:13 am
    _____________________________________-

The same people that hate Kaepernick for his protest are going to give Allen a pass.

25. The only person who should really be ashamed about this is the loser who goes fishing for stupid comments from high school kids. What they never said or did anything incredibly stupid when they were a teenager? Of course these comments are appalling without context, but we should also understand that who Josh Allen was at 16, 17, 18 is not necessarily who he is today. Now if adult Josh Allen starts dropping N-Bombs left and right, then I will judge his character a bit….but I have a feeling that wont happen.

26. This is why kids should not be permitted a social media account until after high school. Too much power and drama for people that age. They don’t understand the repercussions of their actions. Parents need to pay more attention to that stuff.

27. And the media wonders why they’re hated. They’re so agenda driven. Bringing this crap up now, over things he said as a damn kid?! I hope karma bites the person in the rear who brought this up

28. jdlredskin says:
    April 26, 2018 at 7:13 am
    _____________________________________-

————————————————–

Kaep was an adult. He was an adult when he wore cop pig socks. He was an adult when he glorified dictators. Allen was a damn kid when he wrote that

29. nyneal says:
    April 26, 2018 at 7:49 am
    **************************************************
    Well, there is a reason we dont let high school kids vote, own guns, buy alcohol…etc. They are not mature enough to handle it and they dont have the life experience to know better. There are lots of things I said and thought as a high school kid (I’m 46 now)….that I wouldnt say or think today that are either stupid or just plain wrong.

Cut the kid some slack…..I can promise you, if there was a way to know all of your thoughts or look through a record of everything you’ve said in your life…..some people would question your employment worthiness.

30. I dunno… if you judge a man today by what he said 4 or 5 years ago… you could be quite the fool.
    Kids mature into adults.

Now I’m not saying Allen isn’t the same person, I don’t know him or if he has changed or whatever.
    But digging up old stuff doesn’t really say much. And if anything it’s guys from other teams wanting him to slide down the board far enough probably.

Allen’s issues aren’t whether he is an ignorant racist immature turd. It’s whether he can play QB… which is still the bigger question.

31. The ‘October Surprise’ moment.

Our society is full of busybodies.

I’m glad there was no electronic social media when I was in school.

32. The timing makes it look like an NFL team which did its research would like to affect his draft position to benefit them. Even If someone is interviewing for their first $50,000 job out of college, the employer will be checking their social media pages. I’m sure NFL teams do the same.

33. As a young black man I find nothing offensive about it because I don’t see any malice in these tweets. This is the typical case of a dumb young kid saying something because they believed they was being cool.

I find it pathetic that people find the time to try to dig up tweets of an than 14-15 year old kid to now try to sabotage their career. Was it dumb for what he said? Of course, but should it matter now? No. Because if we start allowing dumb stuff that we said when we was 14-15 affect job/career opportunities over 95% of Americans would be out of jobs.

34. when I saw the term “offensive” I thought it was gonna be about him throwing TD passes and stuff cause that like didn’t really happen in college…..

35. He also tweeted: “I hate LeBron!!!!! #LeBronSucks” in 2011, which is only a problem in that it is empirically wrong and bad form if he ends up in Cleveland.
    ——–

Empirically CORRECT, you mean.

36. I have a personal philosophy on all Social Media.”Who Cares what anybody tweeted at anytime in their life?” We live in America still, although a lot of people aren’t big fans of the Constitution anymore.

37. I can’t believe he had the foresight to say all those things in 2012 just to make sure the Browns would not draft him in 2018, amazing.

38. For those of you saying it’s “nothing” or “who cares” why don’t you go on YOUR twitter or other social media platform and do the same… I mean, it’s nothing no one cares about, right?

Give me a break!

39. Maybe I’m missing something, but those sound like any typical teen these days of any race who unfortunately throw that silly word around to refer to themselves and people around them. The person trying to make this a thing might want to pick up an online gaming headset or something. Much, much worse is said, and all of those kids aren’t black I would venture to say, not that that would make it okay either. Hey, but that was just my take on it. More of his problem is going to be that he can’t play.

40. Unfortunately I’ve gone through 60 comments before seeing the obvious addressed:

“My apologies to African-Americans who are referred to using this and other derogatory language. It is wrong, it hurts and only divides our nation. We all are still growing in terms of respecting our fellow man. Please accept our deepest regrets”

signed, the MEN who comment on PFT

41. He’ll slip to 28 where the Steelers will grab him, groom him for a season or two behind Ben, then he’ll go on to have a hall of fame career. And the Browns of course will once again miss out on a true franchise QB because of some silly issue with his tweets.

42. seabrawk12 says:
    April 26, 2018 at 8:38 am
    ________________________________________

Spoken by someone who either a) doesn’t have kids or b) is laboring under the ridiculous delusion that he actually DOES have control over his kids’ use of social media…

Just wait around awhile, buddy. Most kids learn pretty quickly how to self-regulate. Some never figure it out. NONE stay away altogether.

43. How soon we forget that these young men were once (and perhaps still are) adolescents. Anyone who has ever raised children understands they can and will do stupid things at that age. Of course, none of that matters to those in the sports media who want to use this as fodder to torpedo this guy in a desperate attempt to use this to draw attention to themselves.

As for his use of the N word, he probably got that from listening to rap music.

44. I see many comments trying to defend the tweets and degrade the fact that they were found. Just know one thing, once you hit send, your thoughts are out in the universe-permanently-and they may come back against you, especially if they are negative,hateful garbage. The draft process is about pulling back the layers to find the “real” person behind the player. There are consequences for your words, no matter what age.

45. Browns leaked this and here’s why. Browns take Barkley at #1. Due to people reading way too much into Allen’s twitter comments, Allen slides down the draft board. Browns trade back from 4, pick up a couple more 2nd and or 3rd round picks, and take Allen in the late teens of the first round. Who says the Browns are a dumb organization. Anyway, it could have happened 🙂

46. Some of his quotes are from the show Modern Family.
    In other news he cut into the milk line in pre-school.

Our Society is SOL.

47. This is why the news media has no credibility. They inform us that he said somethIng. They don’t tell us what it was. They allude to it being racist, meanwhile rap songs are replete with the n word. Was the kid merely tweeting rap “lyrics” like some people like to do?

48. So with him its kids being kids but let a black athlete coming out of college do something wrong then its a completely different story. This is the most mind boggling group of people on this site. You thumbs up racism but thumbs down the truth. Smh

49. Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson and Luke Faulk all just earned some more money. This guy is going to drop, big time on this. Giants might really be able to get a haul at two now too.

50. packers291 says:

April 26, 2018 at 10:08 am

Why are we looking for smear material? What is there to gain by smearing this guy?

———————————

The media loves to build people up and tear them down.

51. There’s also something disturbing about anyone going through the tweets of a teenager looking for smear material, as has happened in recent years to athletes and others.
    ——————————–

And yet here you are supporting the actions of that person or those people.

52. jpk6044 says:
    April 26, 2018 at 6:31 am
    —————————————————————–

I’m 65, black and consider myself a solid citizen who looks past color. But I would hate to be judged on some of the stupid things I said about white people when I was in the eighth grade. Just stop!

53. JohnnyLakeside says:
    April 26, 2018 at 7:32 am

——————————————————–

I don’t know anything about college football, and know even less about Josh Allen, but people said the same thing about Carson Wentz coming out. ‘OMG HE WASN’T EVEN THAT GOOD! HIS COMPETITION SUCKED!’ Truth is, you don’t know who’s gonna be good until they get to the NFL.

54. 7 straight finals, 2 assists shy of a 44pt triple double last night in a must win…it’s sad this guy probably fancies himself a knowledgeable sports fan

Shinnbone says:
    April 26, 2018 at 6:55 am
    Don’t apologize Josh, I hate LeBron too……and yes he does suck.

55. jpk6044 says:
    April 26, 2018 at 6:31 am
    ——————–
    I agree. Rap music shouldn’t be using the N word!

56. It’s crap like this that is slowly killing free speech in this country. We all say or post stupid things. We also post things that can be taken out of context or misinterpreted. I see those who are the politically correct side in sports or in Hollywood say things much, much worse every day and they are given a free pass because of their politic. Look up the vicious thing Tom Arnold said about black commentator Candace Owens a couple days ago, it’s not fit to repeat. But he gets a pass. I hope they find the creep who floated this out there about this kid and publish his/her name.

57. He was a stupid kid talking to his friends on Twitter, not an adult pro athlete using those terms. If he was calling Black people that word, I would have a bigger issue with it. Thank god we are not all judged on our high school choices. I am much more offended by his completion percentage than his tweets!

58. weeteblog says:
    April 26, 2018 at 8:59 am
    nyneal says:
    April 26, 2018 at 7:49 am
    **************************************************

______________________________________________________________

Until just recently in florida a 16 year old could walk in to a shop and buy an AR15 immediately. Secondly, they JUST talked about reducing the voting age to 16…

sooooooo?

59. I’m black and I find it offensive and wouldn’t want him trying to be a leader in my prodominently black lockerroom. If it were a black athlete he would be getting “roasted” right about now.

60. If we fine tooth combed every one of these kids social media accounts you would find a ton of undesirable posts….No doubt about it. Kids can grow and do grow up and stop acting stupid..sometimes they don’t too. There’s no way Dorsey is drafting potential in the #1 spot. No way…I think they should take Chubb and see what the 4 spot brings…but what do I know?

61. The N word used in the tweets was not the ugly version. It was the one meant as a term of endearment. Many White kids who listen to hip hop music regularly refer to themselves with that word. I don’t think he was malicious in his tweets, just adolescent silliness.

62. Not sure why anyone thinks his racists posts are OK because he was “young”. He’s racist, plain and simple.

63. Too many people confuse a word with an intended meaning. If there is hatred behind the word, then go ahead and be offended. You can’t ostracize a kid for using the word and ignore that same word uttered hundreds of times in recorded music or on social media by people who are apparently on some sort of list of authorized users. I’m not going to look and see whether he had a hateful intent because I simply don’t care. It was quite a long time ago and people, especially kids, change. If there is something more recent then it might be pertinent but right now it would seem he is a victim of a targeted attack on draft day. I find that more despicable than the random musings of an underdeveloped teenage mind.

64. jahbrohknee says:
    April 26, 2018 at 10:57 am

—————————————

Agreed. Craig Bohl, Wyoming head coach, recruited Wentz while he was HC at NDSU. Bohl is a defense oriented guy and runs the old school ball control west coast offense. That pro style under center offense helped Wentz transition quickly to the NFL. It will help Allen too. Allen probably will not be as good as Wentz because of Wentz’ football IQ but will learn behind someone for a few years. His receivers at Wyoming were terrible. He had to try to throw guys open and they had a lot of drops.

65. The kid grew up as a minority in a Hispanic town. While I don’t think there were many African Americans around, I also don’t think he was isolated from them either. That word is pervasive in young cultures and nobody knows where the lines are, or whether there should be lines. If it’s going to be used as a marker for racism, then perhaps the word should be eliminated from everybody so vocabulary. And I mean everybody. As for who would be paying somebody to go through over 9,000 tweets looking for dirt on a quarterback that could go as high as number one, one only need look at the other three quarterbacks that could also go number one. Which one of them has the people and resources to go deep like that?

66. This will likely be a distraction his entire career and he may never be able to outlive it, regardless of his actual relationship with other races. This was a horrible thing to do. I think the person who did this needs to be found and their career needs to be destroyed in the same way they intended to destroy his career. These witch hunts have to stop, And the only way it will stop is if the people who are doing it see that they will pay the penalty.

67. This tears him down, but things Baker Mayfield did last year are totally cool?

He is not racist, he was quoting rap songs…on Twitter. Come on.
    A high school kid on Twitter is not thinking of the long term ramifications of things like this

68. This is simple…if you liked Allen before you woke up this morning that means that you like the other baggage and need for development that comes with drafting him and that’s fine. If you didn’t like him this will just further push you into your corner that he sucks and will be a bust. What he said doesn’t concern me too much but it will have an effect on future teammates. Whether we as fans find his language offensive or not His teammates might. Same sword that cut Kaep. This should be interesting.

69. You can’t be mad at the person who found these tweets. Anything on social media is a public statement. Everyone knows that by this point, especially young people. I agree that someone drawing attention to them within 24 hours of the draft was calculated, but who does it hurt/help? I could make an argument that someone in his camp would do this now because if it was done earlier it would have been an issue for longer, and if it was done after the draft it would force the team who takes him to make some sort of statement. Now we know they’re out there, he’s putting them behind him, and whatever team takes him will not be caught off guard.

70. Effthecheatweaseltrolls says:
    April 26, 2018 at 12:03 pm
    How can there be a word in our language that can be used by one group but is a vocational death sentence if used by another?
    ——–

The better question(s) are:

1. How creative was it to take a word that was meant to be the zenith of demeaning and make it a term of endearment to one another…

2. And make it such that the descendants of those who intended the word to have the worst connotations NOT be able to use it without the same consequences levied against those who were labeled the word before it gained its current meaning among those who use it in a non-derogatory fashion…

3. How does it feel to be excluded from something (for ONCE) solely based upon the color of your skin?

71. He was a kid in high school. High school kids do dumb things.

Move on to something relevant or meaningful and then get a clue, instead of always looking for ways to tear someone else down.

72. jimjets says:
    April 26, 2018 at 10:33 am

and I wan’t no part of him now. That talk isn’t cool, never was and never will be
    *****************************
    Well in that case, it’s a good thing you don’t work for any NFL team that is going to have adults making this decision. You better run, someone is at the pump waiting for you to pump their gas.

73. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    April 26, 2018 at 2:38 pm
    Effthecheatweaseltrolls says:
    April 26, 2018 at 12:03 pm
    ——–

The better question(s) are:

Thank you for outlining the politics of hate, distrust and unfair treatment. Nice to know that payback is at the forefront of the “cause”. Despicable if you ask me. Nice to see the true colors.

74. Mr. Wright 212 says:

Once? How about 3 times when applying for State or Municipal jobs? I was told flat out in 1975 that I had no chance to get onto the Mass RMV due to skin color. It sucks but you don’t create harmony by forcing people based on skin color to make good on 400 year old wrongs. Besides, even if we could, and we have turned ourselves inside out trying, it wouldn’t be received in the spirit it was given and it would never, ever be enough. Why on earth would anyone ever let go of the kind of power that word carries?

75. No, nobody should use that word, but if we pretend that there aren’t plenty of people who profit off the use of that word to sell music to teenage white kids and then claim that it’s horribly insensitive, then we’re hypocrites as well.

76. The solution to this is staring us in the face. It saves money, it eliminates the chance of having something incredibly stupid we might have said years ago jumping up to bite us in the you-know-what, and it’s a good idea.

Avoid social media. Twitter, facebook, blog – whatever. (I can’t name all of them nor do I care about them.) Stop telling yourself that the world is waiting breathlessly to hear your latest deep thoughts.

Say a prayer, read a book, spend some quiet time, whatever.

77. Some of this may be generational, sure. I don’t claim to come from the most enlightened family ever, but the n-word was not part of the vocabulary of anyone around me when I was growing up. Therefore I never said it and it was never excusable to say it. There’s nothing complicated about that.

So, I can’t say how the younger generations view that word, but the rules are pretty damn simple: if you’re white, don’t say it. Simple as that. I don’t feel like I’m losing anything or missing out because black people are allowed to say it and I’m not. Black culture has taken ownership of a hateful, vile word – if you’re white and have a problem with that then maybe think about why you find that offensive.